HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
coachc
Respect
Mu2
KPC-AZ
Crabber
illminds
Henry Carr Basketball
11 posters

Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida

Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-06-01

Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida Empty Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:37 pm

www.sfhssports.com for info

In one of the most blatant displays of hometown officiating and hometown scorekeeping, Henry Carr defeated Champagnat from Miami, Florida 52-51. 6'11" Champagnat center Tonye Jekiri was called for at least 6 fouls but the scoresheet had him with 4!!!

A Tre Boutilier put back followed by a Tramique Sutherland halfcourt steal and a layup put the Crusaders down 1 with under a minute remaining. After another stop, Brendon Chevannes drove the lane and was fouled. He hit both ends of a 1 and 1 with 12 seconds remaining, and the Crusaders made one more stop to secure the win.

Way to go Crusaders.

Henry Carr Basketball

Last edited by Henry Carr Basketball on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
    illminds
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-12-18

Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida Empty Re: Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida

Post by illminds Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:10 am

Way to go Crusaders!

Congratulations to Melnik and the boys for the first win in what's sure to be an uphill battle.

Would love to catch a game. Is there a stream for this tourney?

Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida Empty Re: Henry Carr @ Kreul Classic in Florida

Post by Crabber Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I live in the states and I do not think their is any streaming for this tourney.Here is the box score.

FATHER CARR, CAN. 52,
    CHAMPAGNAT, FL. 51
    FATHER CARR
    Samuels 2-2-7, Miller 0-2-2, Sutherland 4-2-10, Chevannes 1-2-4,
    Boutilier 5-1-13, Bell 3-3-11, Bouteng 0-1-1, Osayande 2-0-4. Totals
    17-13-52.
    CHAMPAGNAT
    Holanda 3-2-10, Chapotine 1-0-2, Watson 2-2-6, LeBranche 5-0-12, Jekiri
    7-1-15, Rolle 2-2-6, Calife 0-0-0. Totals 20-7-51.
    Father Carr 17, 13, 7, 15 - 52
    Champagnat 13, 11, 11, 16 - 52
    3 – Point Goals – Father Carr ( Boutilier 2, Bell 2, Samuels) Champagnat
    ( Holanda 2, LeBranche 2).
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Up next for the Crusaders is Pembroke Pines Charter School, Monday at 2:30 pm.

PEMBROKE PINES CHARTER SCHOOL ( Pembroke Pines, FL)

Third year coach Dave Roca is ready to make his mark in South Florida. The New York transplant will look for 6-2 senior Amare Bryant (14ppg, 6apg) to lead his team from the point position. Bryant will rely on transfer Justin Satchel, a 6-6 forward who ranks among Florida’s top 50 juniors, and seniors Johnathon Tessone (12ppg), Kelsey Wilkinson (11ppg, 7apg) and Kyle Rivera (7ppg) to make Coach Roca’s up-tempo brand of basketball a success.

Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:09 pm

FR HENRY CARR.  89,  (2 OT)
    PINES CHARTER, FL.  83

FATHER CARR
    Samuels 1-2-4, Chevannes 1-0-2, Lewis 2-2-6, Sutherland 12-6-34, Dixon
    2-1-5, Boutilier 10-6-26, Bell 4-2-12, Osayande 0-0-0.  Totals 32-19-89.

PINES CHARTER
    Rivera 3-7-13, Wilkinson 5-4-14, Sactchell 8-8-25, Bryant 1-5-8, Gardner
    0-0-0, Tesone 2-0-4, Willis 4-1-9, Meade 4-2-10.  Totals 27-27-83.
    Father Carr  12, 13, 17, 20, 13, 14 - 89
    Pines Charter  13, 13, 18, 18, 13, 8 - 83
    3 – Point Goals – Father Carr ( Sutherland 4, Bell 2)  Pines Charter
    (Sactchell, Bryant).

Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Up next for the Crusaders is Collegiate HS from New York:

COLLEGIATE HIGH SCHOOL (New York, NY)

The upper-tier Manhattan school delivers high marks in the classroom and on the court. With a buzzer beater from 6-5 forward Connor Huff, last season the Dutchman clinched their fourth straight New York State Federation Class B title. Huff, who is being recruited by Amherst and Middlebury, is only half of Coach Ray Voelkel’s dynamic duo; 5-11 point guard Ryan Frankel is a true floor general who keeps the defense honest with his ability to hit the three. Frankel is being courted by a prestigious list of suitors including Columbia and Penn.

KPC-AZ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by KPC-AZ Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 am

tramique had 34 points ! Say word, and tre with 26 ! lets goo
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:25 am

way to make a statement for Toronto basketball!!

maybe players will understand that we DO have good competition here in the GTA and they don't need to go anywhere.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 am

Awesome job so far and continued good luck to FHC!
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:24 pm

KREUL CLASSIC - Publix Challenge Championship

COLLEGIATE, N.Y. 41,
    FATHER CARR, CAN.  38

COLLEGIATE
    Gwathmey 1-0-2, P. Croak 1-0-2, Frankel 4-2-11, Frye 2-2-8, Hoff 6-6-18.
    Totals 14-10-41.

FATHER CARR
    Samuels 1-0-3, Chevannes 1-0-2, Miller 1-0-3, Sutherland 7-1-17, Dixon
    0-2-2, Boutilier 1-0-2, Bell 1-6-8, Osayande 0-1-1.  Totals 12-10-38.
    Collegiate  14, 7, 9, 11 - 41
    Father Carr  7, 11, 10, 10 - 38
    3 – Point Goals – Collegiate ( Frye 2, Frankel) Father Carr ( Sutherland
    2, Miller, Samuels)

I will give Collegiate props for being a very sound defensive team and a disciplined offensive team, and thus they are very well coached. However, the officials, and one in particular, took it upon himself to literally "favor" Collegiate. A sad display of unethical officiating. On the bright side, the Crusaders held their composure and battled to the very last cheating possession....a lesson learned...

Henry Carr Basketball
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:46 am

It is too bad that the reference to cheating officials is being made when many people who read these threads would like to support and be proud of the success that FHC has had south of the boarder. Instead, it looks like at least one person is being a sore loser and having difficulty appreciating the successes that the team has had. Perhaps some (dare I say several) calls went against Carr and it felt like the refs were against them. Still, there is no guarantee that the outcome would have been any different. I obviously was not there and I have no clue as to how bad the officiating was, but I think that the whining about refs takes away how well FHC must have played to have had the succes that they did. My fear is that the players for FHC will not gain an appreciation for what they did but rather look at this experience as a negative one for how some perceived that they got screwed!
    bigred
    Freshman

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2009-11-09

Post by bigred Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 am

coachc wrote:It is too bad that the reference to cheating officials is being made when many people who read these threads would like to support and be proud of the success that FHC has had south of the boarder. Instead, it looks like at least one person is being a sore loser and having difficulty appreciating the successes that the team has had. Perhaps some (dare I say several) calls went against Carr and it felt like the refs were against them. Still, there is no guarantee that the outcome would have been any different. I obviously was not there and I have no clue as to how bad the officiating was, but I think that the whining about refs takes away how well FHC must have played to have had the succes that they did. My fear is that the players for FHC will not gain an appreciation for what they did but rather look at this experience as a negative one for how some perceived that they got screwed!

What is your POINT! What is your point for posting? "I obviously was not there and I have no clue as to how bad the officiating was" If you was not there how can you comment.I am not a fan of Carr but when a school and coaches are taking kids to different tournaments and trying their best my only words for people like you is SHUT UP.
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:15 am

Coachc, your point of emphasis is very valid.

However, this is not whining or sore losing, this is the truth. Just trying to give you a snapshot of how the game went down. You can still be proud of FHC. They played hard, they played well, and more importantly held their composure when push came to shove; and that is what Coach Melnik talked about in the post-game breakdown.

Henry Carr Basketball
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Good job Fr. Henry Carr I have witnessed first-hand how blatantly unfair some (but not all!) American officials can be!

Its unfortunate and it gives the game a black eye!
    Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Post by Crabber Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Coach Clement wrote:Good job Fr. Henry Carr I have witnessed first-hand how blatantly unfair some (but not all!) American officials can be!

Its unfortunate and it gives the game a black eye!

I am from the US. I am 69 and have followed high school hoops for 50 years and many times I see refs favor a team. Their are some teams in my area that shafted in in their home games.
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Coachc is right! It does sound like whining.
    Its possible there were bad refs and you got screwed, but once the final buzzer goes..... let it go!
    There is no need to report about the referring. We would like to hear about the players, not the refs.

btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Congradulation FHC but I agree coachc just suck it up and get on with the season.I am 56 and have followed high school hoops for years and have been a player, coach and referee.I have never witnessed a fellow ref intentially be biased but I guess it can happen.Here is what my old coach use to teach us be respectfull to the ref.hand the ball to them when they call you on a foul and you actually did foul say good call ref.at the end of the day the refs will likely respect you & your team and maybe the calls will start going your way.If your a coach and they see the way you treat a ref it rubs off on your players.I hope no one tells me to shut up for expressing my opinion.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:09 pm

agreed, I felt the same when all I hear 2 out of 3 games was bad refereeing

on the brighter note: sutherland looks to have had a great tourny!
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:25 pm

I guess you had to be there.

coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:39 pm

My point is that you dont have to be there to appreciate that FHC had a good tournament. Their success shows that. Unfortunately, all some people are getting is that the refs screwed FHC when what we should be doing is appreciating how well these students represented Canadian basketball down in the states. Look at the number of posts on this thread that now have nothing to do with the fact that Carr did well. As someone has said on this thread already, two of the three updates focus on the refs rather than the team.
    Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 am

Kreul Classic Publix Challenge

Game One: First Round
    FR HENRY CARR, CAN. 52,
    CHAMPAGNAT, FL. 51

FATHER HENRY CARR
    Samuels 2-2-7, Miller 0-2-2, Sutherland 4-2-10, Chevannes 1-2-4,
    Boutilier 5-1-13, Bell 3-3-11, Bouteng 0-1-1, Osayande 2-0-4. Totals
    17-13-52.

CHAMPAGNAT
    Holanda 3-2-10, Chapotine 1-0-2, Watson 2-2-6, LeBranche 5-0-12,
    Jekiri 7-1-15, Rolle 2-2-6, Calife 0-0-0. Totals 20-7-51.

Father Carr 17, 13, 7, 15 - 52
    Champagnat 13, 11, 11, 16 - 51

3 – Point Goals – Father Carr ( Boutilier 2, Bell 2, Samuels) Champagnat
    ( Holanda 2, LeBranche 2).

Game Two: Semi-Final
    FR HENRY CARR, CAN. 89, (2 OT)
    PINES CHARTER, FL. 83

FATHER HENRY CARR
    Samuels 1-2-4, Chevannes 1-0-2, Lewis 2-2-6, Sutherland 12-6-34, Dixon2-1-5, Boutilier 10-6-26, Bell 4-2-12, Osayande 0-0-0. Totals 32-19-89.

PINES CHARTER
    Rivera 3-7-13, Wilkinson 5-4-14, Sactchell 8-8-25, Bryant 1-5-8, Gardner 0-0-0, Tesone 2-0-4, Willis 4-1-9, Meade 4-2-10. Totals 27-27-83.

Father Carr 12, 13, 17, 20, 13, 14 - 89
    Pines Charter 13, 13, 18, 18, 13, 8 - 83

3 – Point Goals – Father Carr ( Sutherland 4, Bell 2) Pines Charter
    (Sactchell, Bryant).

Game Three: Championship Game
    COLLEGIATE, N.Y. 41,
    FR HENRY CARR, CAN. 38

COLLEGIATE
    Gwathmey 1-0-2, P. Croak 1-0-2, Frankel 4-2-11, Frye 2-2-8, Hoff 6-6-18.
    Totals 14-10-41.

FATHER HENRY CARR
    Samuels 1-0-3, Chevannes 1-0-2, Miller 1-0-3, Sutherland 7-1-17, Dixon 0-2-2, Boutilier 1-0-2, Bell 1-6-8, Osayande 0-1-1. Totals 12-10-38.

Collegiate 14, 7, 9, 11 - 41
    Father Carr 7, 11, 10, 10 - 38

3 – Point Goals – Collegiate ( Frye 2, Frankel) Father Carr ( Sutherland
    2, Miller, Samuels).

NOTES:
    Tramique Sutherland was awarded his 3rd tournament all star selection this season. He averaged 20 pts/game, scoring from 3 pt land, dribble penetration and in transition. His “on the ball” defense was described as “relentless’.

Tre Boutilier averaged 14 pts/game and scored in a variety of ways. His rebounding at both ends allowed FHC to compete on every possession. If not for a cold shooting 3rd game, Tre may have been an all star as well.

Josh Bell averaged 10 pts/game and also scored in a variety of ways. He battled a head cold but was able to play consistentely in all 3 games.

Brendon Chevannes and Kenrick Lewis were dynamic duo in leading the team from the point guard position.

In game one, Shane Osayande had a huge put back dunk on the 7 footer, Tonye Jekiri, who is a highly touted recruit for Miami University. Shane was aggressive in the paint all tournament long and ventured out to the perimeter on several occasions, where he fit in with the guards.

Leraldo Dixon played his usual “do all the dirty work” game. He rebounded, blocked shots, ran down guards in transition, and clogged up the key.

Lincoln Samuels, Christian Hewitt and Rayon Miller were tremendous coming off the bench, providing fresh legs and instant energy!

FHC used a 10 man rotation in the first half of all 3 games, then shortened the bench for the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Many coaches and spectators were surprised at the Crusader style of play. It was described as “New York style basketball”, referring to the pressure defense and fastbreak offense.

Thanks for your support and good intentions. We send you our best regards for the holiday season and a Happy New Year!

Henry Carr Basketball

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am