HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

2012 Free Agent Rankings Article

observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

2012 Free Agent Rankings Article Empty 2012 Free Agent Rankings Article

Post by observer Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 am

Here's another good list - 2012 free agent rankings - from the basketball writer at Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/2012-nba-free-agent-rankings-1.3444537
    bernie2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 198

2012 Free Agent Rankings Article Empty Re: 2012 Free Agent Rankings Article

Post by bernie2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 am

Observer - the Landry offer is one of the stupidest things I've heard about in the world of sport in a long time. It's stupid on a number of fronts. Nash will see through this and see the desperation. Before this i thought the offer was good, now it is tainted with a screwy tactic - the rest of the raps should be rightfully disgusted.

Bernie
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 am

Landry is a 24 year old 6'7" shooting guard whose primary attributes are defense and rebounding and very high basketball IQ. His permiter shooting is decent enough and he runs the floor well.

It maybe a little cut throat but I don't think it's "stupid' or will be seen as "desperation" How many times have the Raps been victims of this kind of cut throat business? The biggest one that comes to mind is the Tyson Chandler deal that was agreed upon and then rescinded.

I think it's a brilliant move by Colangelo and makes a huge statement that the Raps are f'in serious. The Knicks were going to use Landry for a sign and trade with the Suns to create more money to sign Nash.

In the end... if Nash doesn't come it's because he didn't want to. But for now the Raps have a duty to play hard ball - and smart ball.

No matter how you look at it, if we only end up with Landry out of this, then it's still an upgrade from last year because coach Casey loves defense and that's what he wants and needs first and formeost.
    bernie2
    Freshman

Post by bernie2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Petro, ok but there it is, Nash signs with Lakers. Is landry now a good deal 'upgrade' for the rap at 20M? Of course not. The media will be on this hard tomorrow. Colangelo has really got to produce now.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 pm

Bernie... hindisght is an easy out and that's what you're doing.

Of course he overpaid Landry... but he had to... because he was 1000 (yes one thousand) percent commited to getting Nash. He was all in for Nash.

And yes the team is still better for it and it is an upgrade... perhaps overpaid but so what... it's still an upgrade to what James Johnson brings.

I'm still fine with it because the motive behind it was to get Nash. The contract is only three years and 20 mill... really quite peanuts in the big scope of things because of all the space and flex they have.

And if the media is hard on this... then they don't get it... idiots like Simmons from the Toronto Sun will be hard on it... and that speaks volumes.

Landry is a professional... a high character talented player who will earn his dollars.
    bernie2
    Freshman

Post by bernie2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:42 am

Hey petro - not really hindsight (as i went on the record before Nash signed, as did you with your view) but foresight and natural instinct to analyze. Even if Nash would have signed with the rap, colangelo and rap management wold have a bit of a problem wrt player discontent over the landry contract - the me too factor is human nature, and there are certainly better players on the rap making much less money. That's why I said this was a desperate tactic and not really strategic. Colangelo is on the clock now, and so he should be. He has wheeled and dealed now for quite a few years and has not produced even a modest winner. Even the OK Thunder model of building a competitive team in 3 years is beyond Colangelo. The only strategic theme one might see in Colangelo's dealings is hiring Casey. Casey may save Colangelo's hide I suspect. In that regard, yes, defense will certainly help the rap. One thing we know for sure is there'll be more action soon with the rap.
    Bernie
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Post by observer Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 am

Have to agree with Bernie here. Colangelo's logic and strategy were both flawed. You wanted Nash here because he wanted to be here, not because the GM backed the Knicks into a corner and potentially made that option for difficult for the Knicks and Nash. Nash was a free agent, eligible to sign with any team. Trying to limit his other options wasn't likely to make him happy.

In addition to getting stuck with Field's oversized contract, we also now have to wonder what the effect will be on team morale. Colangelo made some comments about possibly using the amnesty clause, although in fairness he did not name any player. That possible tactic would have been best left unsaid and a card better left down on the table not flipped up for the media. Now various guys will be wondering if they would have been released.

On the basis of production (last year) the Fields contract is pretty oversized. Great guy, though, and a good defender, and getting out of that logjam in NY might help his career.

Calderon must be feeling more than a bit concerned given all the talk about the need for Nash. Maybe it will light a fire under him.

I do respect Nash for taking less money, actually a lot less, to play for a team near his kids and also a team he thinks he fits better at this stage of his career. I think Nash has a great insight into where he's at in his career right now and where he wants to finish it -- on a deep playoff contender, not a rebuild. Colangelo might have given a tad more thought to that also and identified a number of potential free agent targets in his comments.

I don't think the Raptors are a player or two away from deep playoff contention, even if one of those players had been Steve Nash.

On another point, how can Nash be GM of Basketball Canada while he's playing for the next three seasons in LA?

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 am

First of all... Colangelo should resign. He went all in and lost. Just like a poker game. I respect him tremendously for the attempt... but time to move on.

Hindsight it is... because NOW you know the facts. Just cuz you didn't like his contract offer doesn't make it forsight. I didn't like it either but it was part of the package of trying to get Nash. Players wouldn't care one bit about who is making what... they would be thrilled about playing with Nash.

If Nash came... the buzz would be completely different, it would be insane (just like it is in LA) and all the talk would be about Nash [and not Landry's contract] - and Colangelo would be deemed genious for taking NY out of the mix - which he still did.

Even today... not much talk about Landry's contract in the local media... it's all about Nash in every city in NA.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree with your statement above that Landry is probably an upgrade over Johnson especially since there were some undisclosed issues with Johnson last year.

He will help us next season although he is not a major piece to the puzzle.

Also the offer is backend loaded with the chance of Raptors getting out of the third year if they decide to do so (9 million dollars I believe).
    bernie2
    Freshman

Post by bernie2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:29 pm

There's an article on the CBC website:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/opinion/2012/07/steve-nash-owes-toronto-raptors-absolutely-nothing.html

When one thinks of the players that Colangelo has brought to the rap over the past 5 years with the same intent and purpose of improving the team, and the team has not improved, is it not probable that ownership would start to question his ability to put a winning team together? We will all be captivated over the next week or two by Colangelo's dramatic and quick actions, but the thing that is different now is that Colangelo doesn't have much more room and margin for failure. Anyway, the show has begun.

all good points in above postings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am