HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
ballerupnorth
marchidan2020
Coach Clement
Mu2
blackballer10
dybball
SWAGGALIKEME
11 posters

BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13

SWAGGALIKEME
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2012-10-12

BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13 Empty BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13

Post by SWAGGALIKEME Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:16 am

Judging by the talent I saw in the OBA D1/D2 1998's last season I'm already hearing about the incoming high school talent pool. No doubt some of these players will be jumping straight to their respective senior teams but in hearing that most will be putting in a year on the junior team, the following teams should make some noise. Remember, there is no OFSAA tournament in the junior division, so true rankings – preseason or postseason – are… different.

VAUGHAN('king')
    They've got a ton a rep-tested players coming into the grade 9 class and they should be the show while the senior team recovers from heavy losses. Remember this team won the YRAA championship last season and should be even better on paper come November. Incomers include players hailing from the highly successful 98's (and 5-peat Ontario champions) Vaughan Panther rep program and the well-respected Toronto JCC basketball program, which means these young bloods know success. Sure they lost some guys to the senior program but there will still be enough resonance to help this generation take a run at another chip.

FATHER HENRY CARR('Smile')
    Another program that will benefit from a strong grade 9 class. Many of the newbies are headed straight over from the much-hyped CIA/BOUNCE rep program in Brampton. Not sure how the talent will scatter across the Sr./Jr. teams but the Crusaders should field a top squad and still have enough talent to go around.

BILL CROTHERS('Question')
    While the program as a whole remains a bit of a mystery to those outside the walls at Crothers their hoop teams have shown steady progression on the school circuit. The junior Colts were ousted in the semi finals of their region last year but are expected to reload for the upcoming schedule. Can't see yet how much extra edge the millions of dollars in facilities have given their players but if they win their region this year I'll be the first to give dap.

MOTHER TERESA('Surprised')
    Another perennial favourite and with good reason. Not only do they have a generation of good ballers at their doorstep but they are actually starting to make noise again. MT hasn't been the hottest name on the block in basketball circles in recent years and might still live off past successes, but they're bubbling. They are like the Utah Jazz of the high school scene and it might not change much this season. Not bad, but not great.

ST. ANDREW'S COLLEGE('Shocked')
    Believe it or not this little private yuppie-breeding school north of Toronto is actually building a respectable basketball program. Not only do they boast 6'8 team Canada forward Chris Egi on the senior team but they'll have a nice collection of role players waiting in line on the junior team. Unfortunately the best of the incoming talent have been persuaded to join the senior program and the best of the junior players from last season have moved up. With no discernible go-to guy the young bucks will be hard-pressed to keep pace with the elite. The Vaughan Panthers rep programs seems to have the largest collection of kids enrolling at SAC.

MARTINGROVE('afro')
    Good coaching has mostly kept this squad on track and with a couple of maybe stars they could make some interesting things happen this season. They hovered around the top 10 for most of last year but never seemed to be able to crack that next level. They'll have an even blend of rookies and sophomore's to see if they can find the right formula. A tough call.

ST. MIKE'S COLLEGE('study')
    With a long history of creating guards St. Mike's won't miss a beat this year. The junior team has some talent at the floor general spot, maybe even a kid or two to build on, but the crapshoot is on the beef. Junior squads are bigger now than ever before and unless I've missed something, the young guns of the old church don't seem to have much size on their side. I could be wrong if they've got more returnees than I'm hearing but with school stud Duane Notice gone from the senior squad guys are no doubt climbing to fill the void. Many of the rookies have wandered throughout various rep programs in and around the city. More than one has experience running with the Vaughan Panthers rep program.

JEAN VANIER CHS (Richmond Hill)('Cool')
    Not only do the Jaguars have their two best junior players returning to the roster this season but I'm hearing they have a 2 or 3 ready-to-go niners to help avenge their regional loss to Vaughan last season. Along with Henry Carr, Jean Vanier hosts one of the early events on the season with "The Double Blue" tournament. That's when they are expected to unveil a much improved team featuring players from the Scarborough Blues, CIA/Bounce and Toronto JCC families.

EASTERN COMMERCE('Basketball')
    What can you say? The Mecca within the Mecca of basketball in Toronto the Saints program is still as strong as ever. Last year the juniors fielded a top 5 team and should be hanging around in much the same way this year. Couldn't get a read on the specific rep programs that will have their kids attending school their but I do know that they tried to recruit quite a few. They had a few bites and really, when has Eastern Commerce ever needed more than that to make a go of it?

D'YOUVILLE('cheers')
    Burgeoning Brampton powerhouse d'Youville doesn't just have the weirdest name of all the school's we are breaking down, they might also have the most interesting environment. Not only is the JAM tournament a success but the junior JAM is one of the few real showcase style tournaments on most schedules in this division. Had some triumph as a finalist in the Crusader Classic last season but never really matched that effort again. New blood should help the represent well at their own and other tourney’s all season long.

VAUGHAN ROAD ACADEMY('Mad')
    For all the hits the Grassroots Canada basketball program took in the wake of the Ro Russell scandal they are still in the business of making basketball players. Judging by how fast the 98’ team they assembled for last year’s OBA season is breaking up nobody will remember that they were semi-finalists in just their first (and only?) year on the provincial circuit. In any case, many of them have ended up here so we know there will a good physical component to their approach. They’ll need a star to balance it out though. Anyone?

OTHER TEMS TO WATCH:

1. DUNBARTON
    2. DOWNSVIEW
    3. PICKERING
    4. OAKWOOD
    5. POPE JOHN PAUL II
    6. BREBEUF
    7. HOLY TRINITY
    8. SILVERTHORN
    9. WEST HILL
    10. JEAN VANIER (Toronto)

Can anybody put names to these teams?
    dybball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13 Empty Re: BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13

Post by dybball Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:29 pm

"Had some triumph as a finalist in the Crusader Classic last season but never really matched that effort again"

We did reach 6 finals last year out of the 7 best tournaments and won 3 of them.

But overall, thank you for the team breakdown it was done very well! You must have put a lot of effort into it. Looking forward to great year!
    blackballer10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2011-03-04

BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13 Empty Re: BEST JUNIOR BOYS BBALL TEAMS IN GTA 2012-13

Post by blackballer10 Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm

You guys are sleeping on Msgr Percy Johnson Jr team
    blackballer10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2011-03-04

Post by blackballer10 Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm

You guys are sleeping on Msgr Percy Johnson Jr team
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Campion, JC Richardson, and Emery will be tough this year as well

SWAGGALIKEME
    Freshman

Registration date : 2012-10-12

Post by SWAGGALIKEME Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:55 am

dybball wrote: We did reach 6 finals last year out of the 7 best tournaments and won 3 of them.

To be fair, i did not see many of your games. i don't see many games period. I believe the Henry Carr game was one of them though. From what I could gather it was one of your better efforts of the season.

Clearly though, you guys was hugely successful if those are your tourney records. I'm even more impressed.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Not even a single mention of Birchmount!

Now that's a team people are sleeping on!
    marchidan2020
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2012-08-20

Post by marchidan2020 Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:09 pm

yeah!! Birchmount won the city championship last year and they have returning players and bunch of inproved players
    ballerupnorth
    Freshman

Registration date : 2011-11-19

Post by ballerupnorth Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 pm

I heard Birchmount isn't having a team this year, can anyone confirm this?
    CB3
    Freshman

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by CB3 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Birchmount has a team.
    The problem might be the strike action and it's implications on sports for the winter.
    but they got a team
    CB3
    Freshman

Post by CB3 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Birchmount lost 2 starters to senior and one is not at the school anymore
    CB3
    Freshman

Post by CB3 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 pm

# 9 West Hill doesn't have a team this year
    CB3
    Freshman

Post by CB3 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 pm

What about Pearson
    they have a nice big man
    marchidan2020
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2012-08-20

Post by marchidan2020 Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:01 am

Birchmount has a few new rep players and many improved players. they lost some size but should still be a contender
    GTA_BBall
    GTA_BBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2012-11-08

Post by GTA_BBall Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am

Great ranking.

We also believe that Vaughan will be the #1 team this year. I've also heard that Henry Carr is scared to play Vaughan this year because of the senior coach taking a whole team of juniors and making them a senior B team.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm

GTA_BBall wrote:Great ranking.

We also believe that Vaughan will be the #1 team this year. I've also heard that Henry Carr is scared to play Vaughan this year because of the senior coach taking a whole team of juniors and making them a senior B team.

That makes absolutely no sense Henry Carr is scared so they're competing at a higher level? Heard? Heard from whom?

They will face all the top Junior squads including Vaughan in a number of first-class Junior tournaments. Fr. Henry Carr has an incredible record of success over the last several seasons. They absolutely deserve the respect of the entire basketball community.

Vaughan is also a great program in their own right. However you should check your facts before posting allegations that are totally unfounded and absolutely inaccurate!

Last edited by Coach Clement on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    silverthorn_coach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

Post by silverthorn_coach Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm

When a school decides to move their boys up a level to compete from Junior to Senior, the last thing they can be accused of is being scared. Henry Carr made it clear that they are only playing Senior in their own league but will still be playing Junior tournaments where I'm sure they will see Vaughn.
    I'm amazed at the shots that are taken at Henry Carr. Let's respect this school for being the strongest Junior program over the last five years, even longer. This is a school that has carried an "A" and a "B" Junior team and both have been very strong. I am the head coach at Silverthorn CI and I look forward to the upcoming season. With that being said, I look up to programs like Henry Carr and Vaughn to get an idea where we want to be and I will continue to do so this season.
    So I have one question for you, GTA_BBall! When you state that you heard that Henry Carr is scared to play Vaughn this year, where did you hear that? If you can tell everybody that a coach or player from Henry Carr said this, then I would be shocked. Otherwise, any other source is not a source at all. I must add that I agree that Vaughn is one of the top three Junior programs over the last five years and should be extremely proud of this. I'm sure the coaching staff at Vaughn has nothing to do with this rumour and has a tremendous amount of respect for Carr as I 'm sure Carr has for them.
    Good luck on your season everybody!
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 pm

GTA_BBall wrote:Great ranking.

They are so scared that they invited Vaughan to their own tournament. Rolling Eyes

Both teams will also be in the Junior Rimrocker. Whether the Carr juniors play senior or not is irrelevant to Vaughan as they are not in the same league.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 pm

AND GTA_BBall Look at this!

Gm 12 – Vaughan 40 (O. Taylor-Douglas 15) vs. Father Henry Carr 76 (Anthony 26)

No offence to Vaughan but this was in Vaughan's own tournament! Carr fears no one!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am