HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
tart11
nomullies
bigred
outside_stinga
coachc
TalkTheTruth
10 posters

HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!!

TalkTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!! Empty HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!!

Post by TalkTheTruth Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am

A Toronto high school teacher was caught speeding nearly 50 km/h over the limit on Hwy. 401 as he drove his basketball team to a tournament.

Read more:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/05/toronto_teacher_clocked_doing_146_kmh_on_hwy_401_with_12_students_in_van.html

Will the school discipline this teacher or turn a blind eye as they have always done? Should the school board officials get involved?Should charges be filed? Thoughts?
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!! Empty Re: HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!!

Post by coachc Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

I would be very careful with the accusations you are making. Suggesting that the coach has done this before and that the school has turned a blind eye to it could be grounds for legal action unless you have proof. In the article quoted above, Mr. Melnik refutes the allegations and thus the person should have the opportunity to be heard before people find him guilty of any wrong doing.
    TalkTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!! Empty Re: HENRY CARR COACH & TEACHER PUTS HIS STUDENTS AT RISK!!!

Post by TalkTheTruth Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 am

So are you saying the students who were in the van being driven by Mr. Melnik were deported to another means of transportation because Mr. Melnik was following the speed and not driving 50K/hr over the limit?

Oh please the mere fact is Mr. Melnik was speeding and he put these kids’ lives at risk. Do not try to sugar coat this matter Coach C. Whether you are a fan of Mr. Melnik’s or not, he made a stupid decision.

Just because he refutes the allegations does not mean he did not do it. The OPP officer Aaron McPhail confirmed these allegations and that Mr. Melnik did receive a speeding ticket.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/05/toronto_teacher_clocked_doing_146_kmh_on_hwy_401_with_12_students_in_van.html
    [url][/url]
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Most people will be upset for speeding and the risk taken. That may not be able to be proven. But what about not having the proper license to transport more than 10 people? That would be something could be disciplined by the board. I am sure it would be less harsh, and an easier way to come both sides of the story.
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 pm

"calm" both sides
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

My statements had nothing to do with whether or not Mr. Melnik did anything wrong. I was simply warning that one should not accuse him of other wrong doings and the school covering it up without proof. Your words were: "Will the school discipline this teacher or turn a blind eye as they have always done?" My additional comments about waiting to see if these charges stand is merely a reflection of a fundamental aspect of our system: innocent til proven guilty. The fact that he refutes the allegations does mean we need to assume he is innocent until someone proves he is guilty. According to your logic, everyone who gets arrested or fined etc. is guilty because a police officer said he was. It very well could turn out that he is as guilty as you suggest but until it is proven so, I would recommend withholding judgement!

bigred
    Freshman

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2009-11-09

Post by bigred Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Everyone speed at some point and time, driving down the 401 you can get up to speed very easy with out really feeling it.But when you are driving kids you are responsible for them

The question is how did he get the rental without the proper licence.
    This type of vehicle was ban by schools for transporting students so how come the principal allowed it.This was a school activity.

People are all kissaxx to your faces but behind your back they are sharp knives,how did the news reach the School Board and the Media.

The answer---Kids tweet everything and they tell their friends and parents.
    Winning is everything to Carr,Sad to say they will win ofsaa but it will be tarnish by the coach actions.

Teachers /coaches that read the article should be worried because one action would be a reaction.School boards and principals would start taking this very serious.

All it takes is one stupid action and all schools will pay for this.

Check out the comments under the article.

This is the best "146 is only about 16 above what traffic usually runs. 146 IN GOOD WEATHER when everyone else is doing 120-130 is called passing. 146 when others are doing doing 90 because the weather is bad is called STUPID. Let's get all the facts before we pass judgement."

Watch all the big posters stay away from this thread in street language it is call Axx kissers so dont be surprise this thread get deleted.

Dont used the excuse innocent until proven guilty he was caught.
    nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't know coach Melnik personally but have often heard of the many wonderful things he does for his players and basketball in general. It was an unfortunate incident and the sooner it runs its course the better.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Coach Melnik has put in all of his personal time, and has helped many kids in their journey to success.

I am sure he would agree that speeding on a school trip like that was a very stupid and reckless thing to do and I am sure he regrets it. Lets not kick someone when they are down.

Every one does stupid things, even coaches on a daily basis, its unfortunate this was so publicisized
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 pm

tart11 wrote:Coach Melnik has put in all of his personal time, and has helped many kids in their journey to success.

I am sure he would agree that speeding on a school trip like that was a very stupid and reckless thing to do and I am sure he regrets it. Lets not kick someone when they are down.

Every one does stupid things, even coaches on a daily basis, its unfortunate this was so publicisized

I agree 100%. Paul Melnik deserves more respect.

He has done a great deal for too many young men to even think about.

If he is guilty he is not the person to make a small error in judgment. I have made many myself.
    basketballrumors
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2012-08-29

Post by basketballrumors Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 pm

No one is denying his work he has put in to recruit and coach

I don't think it was just one mistake that people are focussing on

1) Renting a vehicle without the proper licencing to drive students

2) Renting a vehicle that is not to be driven on the highway with students

3) Going 50km over the limit

That is pretty substantial and unresponsible
    Suns_baller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2013-03-08

Post by Suns_baller Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Coach Clement .. No one is arguing what coach Melnik has done or contributed into the basketball community. I've seen it myself as my child used to play for the same school and for the same coach back in the days. However when someone put his students at risk it is a pretty serious offense.

Granted that its a stupid mistake and everyone makes a stupid mistake. He can put his life at risk for his stupid mistakes BUT to put other peoples life at risk knowing the parents trusted you is a serious breach of trust.

I don't understand why some people are taking this lightly. Are we going to wait for another incident like in New Brunswick where young lives were lost before people actually thinking that this is a serious offense!!! .. What if they actually got into an accident...

This is publicized because he was caught by police speeding but it makes you wonder how long and how many times he gotten away with it.

Why is it so hard to follow the rules????
    Youngblood
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2010-01-28

Post by Youngblood Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:55 pm

As a coach and high school teacher the real lesson here is, if at all possible, don't drive kids. If at all possible just get a bus. The way things are going now a days you take a risk every time you put a kid in the car. The rules must be adhered to at all times. The coach made that mistake. He'll deal with it. Hopefully no one gets hurt beyond what's already happened, but, today's coaching climate is very difficult. I wonder if I'd started coaching high school today rather than 25 years ago would I have lasted? The paperwork is ridiculous , trying to get on calls to get released for games generates animosity amongst colleagues and don't even talk about liability. As a matter of fact if I somehow get hurt at practice from an errant ball, hit or accident of any sort I might not be covered by workman's compensation because it happened outside of school hours.
    Yeah, coach Melnik blew it, he was speeding, and that's messed up. My question to him is, why risk this sort of thing anymore? You're working for free and how long will it be before catches up?
    People tend to forget all of your years of volunteer service when the media can grab a hold of a mistake.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 am