HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Ascension - OFSAA AA Champions!

Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Ascension - OFSAA AA Champions! Empty Ascension - OFSAA AA Champions!

Post by Eagle1 Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Congratulations to the Ascension Eagles who defeated St. Andrews 64-53 to win the AA OFSAA Championship.

A great season was capped by a great run at OFSAA in Perth. Congratulations to coaches Appiah, Stepanenko and Kalino and the entire squad. Special thanks to Coach Freddy Appiah, a former Ascension student, who won an OFSAA bronze with us a decade ago at the same location and returned the favour by being a great mentor and leader for this team. I want to also recognize coach Kalino who has been part of Ascension basketball for over two decades and our newcomer Coach Stepanenko who kept this team running smoothly. To all the players - thanks for making history by being the first ROPSSAA  team to win a basketball gold at any level. Way to go A-Squad!

Coach Muia
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Ascension - OFSAA AA Champions! Empty Re: Ascension - OFSAA AA Champions!

Post by Coach Clement Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 am

Congratulations Coach to you and the players and coaches mentioned above.

You have been an outstanding program over a period of many many years!
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am

Congratulations to the Ascension Eagles!

It looks like ROPSAA had a good showing across the board.
    I've always had a lot of respect for the Peel Region because they've produced some outstanding players over the year. During my era, I went head up with Sherman Hamilton, ., Mike Meeks and Reggie Oblitey. Now, it has gone to a whole different level with players like Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson and Tristan Thompson.

I'm just curious! Is this the first OFSAA basketball title for the Peel Region? If so, I wonder how many titles ROPSAA would have won if some of these players played up here for 4-5 years like Andrew Nicholson.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

I would argue that ROPSSAA has been robbed of more talent by prep schools than any other over the past decade or so. If those players stay home, and if Peel had open borders like some of the other regions, there would have been a few OFSAA titles in that time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am