OFSSA and OSBA kids

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OFSSA and OSBA kids

Post by West side baller on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm pretty disappointed with what I heard about OFSSA blocking the kids in the prep schools from playing in US high school sanctioned events.

Clearly their motivation is not to support the kids in their growth and future, but to simply put them in a box and guard their own turf. Families are making substantial investments for their kids future, and some bureaucrat is actively and intentionally denying them the opportunity for US high school exposure.

OSBA as part of the OBA should also be looking out for them. These kids are under their umbrella and the execs are getting paid.

I love the public school system. But we need to realize the world is changing and the landscape is changing. OFSSA needs to recognize change and be out front, not clinging to the past.

West side baller
Freshman

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OFSSA and OSBA kids

Post by Gnganinja on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:02 pm

OFSAA* lol

from the information i received OFSAA isnt solely to blame. the rules involved from the US stem from state and tournament sanctions by NFHS (National Federation of State High Schools Associations).

OFSAA is the ONLY governing body of sports in high school for Ontario with NFHS. If OSBA wants to apply to NFHS, then by all means. I was quick to point out the lack or personal attack by OFSAA on twitter but they cant be blamed entirely. So if a convenor from a tournament calls OFSAA to verify a team is sanctioned they will say no, not because of hindering athletes, but its actually a no. But what raises red flags is #1 why didnt this happen last yr and #2 did a convenor call OFSAA or did OFSAA call them??

Also I heard prep teams playing US high schools is the issue, whereas, playing prep isnt an issue. I personally dont know or have facts, only hearsay.

When it comes to issues with transfers within OFSAA I believe there is a very thin line that many cross with out red flags, while others get wrapped in red tape.

Girl transfers across the GTA one side to the other, moved, appealed 1 yr ban. Kid moves but stays within region and is eligible, where as another does, ineligible. Far too much hypocrisy in Ontario for high school basketball. Cant even imagine the BS involved with hockey.

OSFAA doesnt have to adapt to the new way or prep. OSBA and NPA have to apply to the NFHS. Teams like St Mikes, Vaughan and FHC are probably approved by OFSAA/NFHS to play because their schools have been part of it, whereas Lincoln, TRC, AI Academy arent.

Just my 2 cents from what I have been told.

Gnganinja
Freshman

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2014-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xavierbasketball on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

I think the main issue with OFSAA is that prep schools can bring players from anywhere and those students don't go through an eligibility process.

Not sure why a prep school would want to participate in OFSAA anyways, what's the point? They have their own league with their own championship. Don't see a point to compete at OFSAA.

Xavierbasketball
Freshman

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by West side baller on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:27 pm

OFSAA - I got u. (it was late)

I actually agree with Xavier. There is clearly a difference with the eligibility question. The prep's don't pretend to be the home grown school teams. (that said, there are a lot of kids at some powerhouse schools that actually live no where close but are allowed to play - the OFSAA dirty little secret). I don't think any of the new prep teams were expecting to compete in OFSAA, but a lot of them were planning US HS tournaments in their schedule.

I appreciate the knowledge Gnga passed along. I thought they were preventing the prep kids, turns out probably the OSBA has been remiss in representing the kids as legitimate, school based teams. They all are enrolled full time, they are not all 5th year kids, they all have to reach a minimum Ontario academic standard. These are high school basketball teams.

Perhaps its time for a new sanctioning process, whether it is done under the auspices of OFSAA or by another group such as OSBA/OBA to accredit these programs and let the kids play.

West side baller
Freshman

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnganinja on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:21 pm

No prep team is trying to play OFSAA not sure why that was mentioned

Gnganinja
Freshman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnganinja on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:43 pm

OFSAA to the NFHS is the only body of High school sports recognized because prep in Canada is brand new.

Osba and npa apply to NFHS to have their leagues recognized as well and problem solved. Hopefully.

Some are to believe that OFSAA is personally calling convenors to block Canadian teams.

Remember OBA for rep tried to throw some rules around and Cybl came and many ppl avoid OBA now?

OFSAA and regular high school teams are losing players to prep. More this yr than previous and so on. It might get worse and AAA boys OFSAA might be very weak in 2 or 3 yes. More senior teams are heavy in grade 10s than normal

Gnganinja
Freshman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xavier Rimrocker on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:02 pm

West side baller wrote:(that said, there are a lot of kids at some powerhouse schools that actually live no where close but are allowed to play - the OFSAA dirty little secret).

There's nothing dirty about it from OFSAA's perspective. Their rules deal with transfers between schools; they have no rules limiting players who attend schools outside of their school or school board boundaries. Those are issues for school boards to regulate and, in some cases, the few regional associations that have grade 9 eligibility rules.

2015 Senior Rimrocker Champions: St. Joseph
2016 Junior Rimrocker Champions: Vaughan
Xavier Rimrocker
All-Star

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the General on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Just for information....the YRAA allows OSBA players to play on their high school team. Don't know if Vaughan and /or Thornlea are going to take advantage of this.

the General
Freshman

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:18 am

Xavierbasketball wrote:I think the main issue with OFSAA is that prep schools can bring players from anywhere and those students don't go through an eligibility process.

Not sure why a prep school would want to participate in OFSAA anyways, what's the point? They have their own league with their own championship. Don't see a point to compete at OFSAA.

I am in 100% agreement with every little bit of what Xavierbasketball is saying.

The prep schools are wanting to have their cake and eat it too!

It is not an equal playing field.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
Coach Clement
Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5235
Registration date : 2008-07-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down