HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
stevelogan92
RealBall
Respect
wcbasketball
panathas
9 posters

Interesting reading material...

panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Interesting reading material... Empty Interesting reading material...

Post by panathas Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Lowest paid coaches are teachers first
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/28gray.html

Football coaches make more then teachers
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/27salary.html

Texas football coaches salaries
    http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf

Bob Hurley's story
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2002-10-06-st-anthonys-cover_x.htm

High school basketball coaches give their all
    http://www.courant.com/sports/highschool/hc-atworklede0309.artmar09,0,5911184.story

Maximizing player development for the elite athlete
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7015/maximizing_player_development_opportunities.html?cat=14

A look at high school coaches salaries in New Hampshire
    http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/SPORTS/70520002
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Interesting reading material... Empty Re: Interesting reading material...

Post by wcbasketball Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Great, great articles coach. I am blown away by the difference in salaries between Texas High School Football coaches and Principals. WOW!
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:59 am

That's great for the elite American coaches, but let's not fool ourselves by thinking that they do not have other resposibilities (ie. teaching classes, or being AD, etc.). In comparison, most Canadian coaches are teachers at their high school and earn 60k - 100k depending on seniority and other considerations. All is not bleak in Canada!
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 am

"Most Canadian coaches are teachers"?

I don't know about that. I know many are Community Coaches who volunteer their time.
    It would be interesting to find stats on how many Top GTA basketball coaches are volunteers.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:52 am

I agree that there are many volunteer coaches putting in time & tremendous effort at high schools throughout Canada, but I think the percentage of teacher vs volunteer coaches would still be around 75/25 in favour of teachers.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 pm

In general, teachers get paid better in Canada then in the States. Teachers do not have to coach in Canada. They have no contractual obligations to coach, and they can stop at any time they want. In the states teachers are hired to teach and coach. They get a teaching salary, that is lower then canadian standards and then they get a coaching stipident, I will assume the average is $3000 per sport, I've seen then as high as $10000. If you add the teaching salary and the coaching stipident for a US teacher I do not think they will be making as much as teachers in Canada. If anyone has more insight please correct me.

Now, there are obvious special circumstances, where some high school coaches make more in the states, Texas football coaches for example.

I think the biggest difference is how coaches are treated in the States compared to Canada. Coaching is more respected and appreciated by the educational system in the States, and I believe school boards provide more support for their high school athletics then here in Canada.

No teacher is making $100 000 in Ontario, I can guarantee you that.

For the record, I just added a bunch of interesting articles, by no means I am encouraging any coaches to migrate South. OUr health care system is motivation enough to stay in the best country in the world.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Every team has to have a teacher at practices and games for supervision purposes. So even if a team has a community coach as a head coach, they must have a teacher there at all times as well.

A teacher-coach has more freedom within the school and can take advantage of the school system to benefit his/her team. Look at the Loyola junior team this year and how hard Coach Paul had to work to find teachers to attend tournaments.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Isnt the highest pay grade for teachers close to 100,000 ?
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:46 pm

I know of many teachers around the Golden Horseshoe whose earnings are around 100k.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Is that right? Well, I can guarantee no classroom teacher in Peel is making $100 000 then.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:48 pm

It is close though in Peel. In the 90K range.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I would hesitate to call those that coach from the community "volunteer coaches" and those that coach from within the school "teacher-coaches". Both types of coaches volunteer to coach and give up their personal time. It is as much of a sacrifice for a teacher to coach as it is for a person working elsewhere. There are some small perks to working in the school that you coach at (not needing to get additional volunteers to help, or tracking players school progress, or not having to drive to practice since you are already in the building) but this does not make the commitment that teachers who coach make any less valuable then those that make a living a different way. Both groups of individuals make it possible for young athletes to play the sports that they love and it would be unjust to suggest that a teacher does it as a part of their job whereas a non-teacher does it for volunteer purposes.
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 pm

what abowt coachez sonz....rep...oba...aau...high skool...doznt matta..
    dey coach 4 dere son....den dey gon....levin d program hi n dri...what yo thotz??
    Dunbarton
    Dunbarton
    Freshman

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by Dunbarton Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 am

Great point ab. the health care system panthas...don't forget to add private health care and a 401k to that Texas coach's salary. (It is interesting that some of the salaries are +50-60% over 1995) Can. teachers have decent retirement and health packages (BTW you're right that teachers don't make 100k...those at Cat.4 with 11+ years make just ab. 90 this coming year) that add substantially to the "value" of their pay package. The time commitment a teacher-coach has to put in to have a decent team is substantial as you know. No amount of "extra" coaching pay would make up for lost marking and prep time (not to mention family time) though which is why I am giving up the coaching part.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 am

These are some excellent points being brought up. I am the community coach for my school but I never have and never will think that what I do is harder than what my fellow teacher/coach does. I know that she takes coaching basketball seriously and is very capable of coaching a game without me. This is due to the fact that she has studied what I do along with taking over basketball related programs at her school. I have never seen her go hide in her office during one of our practices to do marking, homework or chill out. I have never seen her bring assignments etc to the practice and start marking while we are doing our drills. I have always seen her doing everything she can basketball wise to learn and be a complete part of the team.
    I know that she spends countless hours going to bed late because she decided to mark at home after practice. I cannot begin to explain how much respect I have for teacher-coaches like her as I know there are a lot of them who do the same. I also want to point out that kids who play and volunteer coaches like me would have no team if teacher-coaches didn't agree to do this. Without a teacher supervisor there is no team. I think that kids in many cases don't realize the extreme sacrifice that teachers make to ensure there is a team. I know many teacher-coaches like my partner also spend countless hours helping kids who are having trouble in subjects. In many cases, the reason is not just so they can be eligible to play on the basketball team but so that the kid has more options in their future in terms of educational choices.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I too am a community coach although I was a teacher for 30+ years.

I work with a teacher-coach who is just an amazing person besides being an absolutely top-notch classroom teacher, he is also in charge of a theatrical production, coaches track-and-field and is a co-coach and academic advisor to the kids on the Junior basketball team.

He also plays a leading role in organizing, supervising and updating the media (he is gill on the website)during our Junior and Senior tournament. When you think of Mother Teresa basketball I want you to know that his energy and dedication absolutely fuels the program.

I really do not know how he does it. Being a coach is hard work in a top-level program but as a retired person I have the time at my disposal, how Coach Gill does his thing I have no conception.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am