HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+19
Andrew
AKidNamedBaller
Coach Mike
Coach Clement
tart11
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
LockDownDefender
bearscoach
raptor
coachc
HooptownGTA
wcbasketball
innocentbystander
bronbron23
twoneedles
tb11
Peel Fan
stevelogan92
ballin45
23 posters

Why cant we dunk in warmups?

ballin45
    Freshman

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Why cant we dunk in warmups? Empty Why cant we dunk in warmups?

Post by ballin45 Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 pm

?
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Why cant we dunk in warmups? Empty Re: Why cant we dunk in warmups?

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 pm

Because if you happen to break the rim, you can no longer play the game.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Rims are expensive and take a long time to replace. That takes priority over a bunch of over-hyped egos.
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Also the refs say that you are trying to intimidate the other team. Some refs allow dunking as long as you don't hang or pull down the rim.
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:53 pm

Didn't we have this discussion about two months ago? I don't recall hearing of a rule change in the meantime.

You may have noticed that high school backboards and rims are rickety relative to what is standard in the Association. Also schools have to use union labour to fix it, which takes forever.

At Eastern last year, it took about three weeks (it seemed) to fix a broken rim after the season.

You can dunk in warm-ups but if you do, you will be assessed a technical foul. If you break the rim, you will forfeit the game.
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by bronbron23 Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 am

or just play half court with clearing haha jk
    innocentbystander
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by innocentbystander Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:34 am

Here is a better question...

Why do you need to dunk in warm-ups?
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 am

It's funny but many moons ago, fans would come early to tournaments to watch the pre-game warmup. In it, there use to be an array of highlight reel dunks. I can still remember the buzz every time Bathurst Heights played anywhere when Phil Dixon was there. His pre-game warm up dunks were a sight to behold.
    I heard that somebody injured themselves years ago dunking in warm ups and that contributed to the ban. I myself do not see anything wrong with dunking in pre game as it is entertaining. My problem with it, as I am sure it is with most, is that players today believe in hanging off the rim. It is then a big threat to breaking the rim and that becomes expensive. I mean, I still do not understand why players like to jump up and hang off the rim. It serves no purpose.
    In terms of intimidation, that is entirely up to the players. When players from an opposing team become spectators of the other teams warm-up then they are already at a loss. They are showing a lack of focus which can be attributed to intimidation from the dunks. Keep in mind that being a great dunker doesn't mean that you are a good player. I have seen many players who can dunk like crazy and couldn't hit a free throw to save their life.
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:42 am

Along the lines of WC's post, I recently read a book about the early days of the N.B.A.. The players, guards included, could all dunk but chose not to because they didn't see the point. It was seen as slightly disrespectful.

I guess that this changed in the late 1960s and 1970s. Bill Bradley had an argument that the collegiate players from wealthier backgrounds enjoyed hearing the swish of the net when they made a jumpshot whereas those from lower-income neighbourhoods played in dilapidated courts where players dunked to prove they had made the basket. I don't want to start that thread, just a passing comment.

Although, if players like Sam Jones, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Bill Russell and didn't do it, why do you need to dunk?

I'm sure the N.B.A. doesn't have a problem with it but players used to focus on putting the ball in the hole and winning, not the dunk.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by HooptownGTA Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am

twoneedles wrote:
    Although, if players like Sam Jones, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Bill Russell and didn't do it, why do you need to dunk?

That was a different era in basketball history. The game has evolved since then.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 am

Personally, I see no problem with it. It is a legal play during the game so why can you not practice it in warmups. I don't buy the intimidation / poor sportsmanship argument. If the players are being disrespectful (btw dunking does not equal disrespect) then they should get a technical whether the disrespect is hanging of the rim (also not allowed in games) or any form of poor sportsmanship. What about the teams that can shoot the lights out? If they are constantly nailing threes in warmups would this not also be intimidating? Perhaps they should not be allowed to shoot threes in warm ups??? The only argument that makes any sense would be the potential to break the rims but even that seems a little far fetched. If players are dunking and not hanging off the rims, then the rims should be fine. Let the kids dunk. It is a part of the game and it helps create a buzz in the gym for game time.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:31 am

You can dunk in warm ups at the collegiate and profesional level. In high school tournaments hosted by colleges and universities I have watched players dunk with no penalty. In the United States I have also watched AAU, and the High school level warm ups and dunking was permitted.

I understand the rule. A Technical should be assessed if you hang on the rim. But if you have a player who can get up there and flush the ball without hanging on the rim then that should be permitted. Ive witnessed Canadian referees give a T for flushing the ball which I think is ridiculous.
    raptor
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-12-08

Post by raptor Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am

The inconsistency is frustrating as a fan, coach or player. As refs we are told to enforce the rules not judge whether the rule is valid or not. As a ref there are some rules that don't make sense or I might not believe in but have to enforce for the sake of consistency. Flushing is a grey area as it is dunking the ball without touching the rim.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 am

Here is my take on dunking.
    A glass backboard and its installation cost about $3000.00. If one is broken by a dunker, who pays for the new one? Also, gym classes, if the students were playing b-ball, would be interrupted for some time.
    Who would be responsible if a backboard broke and the dunker fell in a heap on the floor and got injured in the process?
    Dunking is so overrated. Big deal! A bunny from 6 feet is worth the same as a dunk, 2 points!!
    The best entertainment is when a 'pseudo-dunker' goes up and gets rim-rejected like the player on Henry Carr did not once but twice at last week's MT tournament.
    To solve the problem, let the dunkers do it on the side rims which don't bounce back, with the full knowledge that if they destroy a rim, they have to pay to fix it by the next day.
    Even better, have the stands pulled out under the basket where dunking is allowed and then all the players could do it so they could all have the thrill of something that only happens occasionally during real games.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447

Post by HooptownGTA Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 pm

bearscoach wrote:Here is my take on dunking.
    Dunking is so overrated. Big deal! A bunny from 6 feet is worth the same as a dunk, 2 points!!

Depends on how the dunk takes place. If a player goes up in traffic and dunks it over a player or two, that by no means is that an overrated dunk.

Or,... over the weekend I was watching North Carolina at Kentucky. In the first half, the Kentucky point guard came down on a one-on-one fastbreak, did a nice inside-out dribble and finished the play with a dunk. That was not an overrated dunk.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 pm

I have to disagree with you on dunking being overrated. This is a new era of basketball where a dunk can serve a good purpose. A dunk (flush) in warm up pumps your team up and yourself up, as well as mentally intimidate the other team before the tip( which is perfectly legal). In a game, a dunk can quickly shift momentum towards your team.

I totally agree that during a game you take the forsure 2 points. But if I was a coach and I have a player who I know who can take it to the whole and finish more times then not im telling him to do so.

Although I disagree that dunking is overrated, I believe that it is being focused on way too much by our young players. The game today is played by either shooting a three or taking it to the whole and either dunking or for the non dunkers tapping the glass.The mid range game is non existent with the players today and needs a resurgence.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 pm

[quote="HooptownGTA"][quote="bearscoach"]Here is my take on dunking.
    [/quote]

Depends on how the dunk takes place. If a player goes up in traffic and dunks it over a player or two, that by no means is that an overrated dunk.

Or,... over the weekend I was watching North Carolina at Kentucky. In the first half, the Kentucky point guard came down on a one-on-one fastbreak, did a nice inside-out dribble and finished the play with a dunk. That was not an overrated dunk.[/quote]

I saw that play and it was sweet. I do not find dunking over-rated. Dunking is like a big hit in a football game. It get's the crowd going, the players jacked up and it sends a message to the opposing team. Dunking is not outlawed in a game situation so I do not believe that it should be in a warm up. I agree with the point that has been brought on here regarding hanging on the rim. It is not allowed in the game nor should it be in warm up. Almost every time a rim has been broken, it has been because a player has hung on it, not the actual dunk itself. Flushing shouldn't be penalized at all. The player doesn't even touch the rim in that case.
    Personally, I don't like the rule prohibiting dunking in a warmup. It is part of the game and a player should be allowed to practice it. Just like 3 pointers and free throws.
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm

[quote="wcbasketball"] In terms of intimidation, that is entirely up to the players. When players from an opposing team become spectators of the other teams warm-up then they are already at a loss. They are showing a lack of focus which can be attributed to intimidation from the dunks.[/quote]

That's very true coach Cool
    LockDownDefender
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Post by LockDownDefender Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Almost every team has a dunker, and if they want to showcase them before the game then whatever. Personally I believe that a player should break out a dunk in a game to catch the other team off guard.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 am

bearscoach wrote:
    Yeah you are completely right thats why millions of people watch the dunk competition every year,earning the NBA more money in one day then you probably make in 5 years. You can diss dunking all you want, but it has definitely helped the sport alot more than it has hurt it.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:16 am

Another good point. Dunking should be allowed in warm up it's fun to watch and it gets the crowd in the game.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:25 am

I am talking high school.
    Of course dunking is big in the NBA but that is because it happens so often.
    In high school it is not that important in my eyes and I have seen the best dunkers in my 40 years as a coach. When a player dunks against my teams, my players are not intimidated or all that impressed. They just get on with the game.
    Obviously to some it IS a big deal. To me, it is not important.

Last edited by bearscoach on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 am

When good teams play, the effect of dunks are negiligible. They've all seen it and most have done it before.

Lower level teams might be affected more but I'm not sure!
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 am

I have to disagree coach clement. All teams appreciate a good dunk. I have seen the top teams at AAAA ofsaa celebrate their teammates dunk. Just like they celebrate a big shot at the end of a quarter, or a nice strong take to the basket. All players can appreciate good basketball plays of all kinds. It is not just the weaker teams that appreciate them....we all do!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 am

I agree with coachc... good teams feed of dunks just as much as weaker teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm