HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
zonekiller
CoachImgrund
Sacred Heart
Coach Philippe
observingyork
9 posters

"The Observer" Signing Off

observingyork
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

"The Observer" Signing Off Empty "The Observer" Signing Off

Post by observingyork Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:31 am

I am here to announce that I will be signing off on hooptown effective immediately. After an offer that I could not refuse and that I had fiercely inquired I along with my family am moving to New Hampshire where I start a new job and a new life on December 1st.

I have been given the privilege of being named the Director of the Sports Journalism Academy in New Hampshire (which is very similar to the College of Sports Media here in Toronto). I first interviewed for the job in June and did not think I had a chance so when I received a call last week and was offered the job I was stunned. To be honest it felt bittersweet because I do have a bachelors degree in education from the University of Manitoba (I also have a sports media degree from Syracuse University), and have always wanted to teach "media" because it is something that I have always understood and had a passion for. In 2004 I was offered a job as an editor for Sportsnet's website, I have truly enjoyed my time here and have made so many friends through basketball and will miss all of you!

I had a lot of time off since I worked from home; so I began going out to high school basketball games and watching people play, and formed friendships with officials and coaches. Often times I was not at a game but I knew a coach, official who was and I got stories of who the good players were. How they play. What they play like and so on. I sincerely would like to thank all coaches and officials who provided me with information that I could post on here and allow all GTA hoop fans to access.

I would like to thank the people at Hooptowngta for creating this amazing website for people to come on and talk basketball. For people who are passionate about basketball take Rick up on the offer to write articles about the game you love. You never know what it could lead to. If you love the game you can make a lot of money writing about it. This is a great opportunity.

I would like to thank all coaches who post tournament information on here. It was a thrill for me going around to different tournaments and having all the necessary information on who's playing. When the games start. I got to see a lot of great players play. Such as Devoe Joseph, Adam Folker, William Caesar, Whitney Ellenor, Andre McPherson, Dan Bannister, Scott Laws, Alex Arthur, Mark McNee and so many more. I apologize for missing anyone but there are so many that I saw!

I would like to thank everyone who complimented me on my posts. I am a passionate person, and respect coaches for their time commitments but the odd situation would arise where I had a problem with what I saw and I was not afraid to speak about it. I think hooptown is great for that! If I said something offensive about you or your team I truly apologize for doing so and please know that it's not personal as it was just an observation. I would also like to thank people who disagreed with me. Whether it was respectfully or disrespectfully; the bottom line is that we are doing what we can to better this great game that we love so much.

I think of the Vaughan Secondary School tournament final; when there was the issue in the Newtonbrook/Vaughan game. I totally respect everyone who disagreed with me, and apologize for being stubborn on that issue and other issues, but as I said I'm a passionate person and under no circumstance would I ever disrespect any of you. Again if I did it was not my intention and I am truly sorry.

In closing I would like to give you guys my real name. My name is Larry Nevick, and I thank all of you for reading my posts, and responding whether you liked what I said or not. This is a great game.

To all the coaches, keep doing what you're doing. God Bless you all for putting in the time you do.

To all players, play as long as you can and remember this as long as you live. High School and College/University are the best times of your life. The friendships you build will last a lifetime.

To Rick from hooptowngta congratulations on this great site. Keep it up you're a great guy!

I wish all teams the best of luck this season and down the road. I will miss all of you. Feel free to email me with any updates, questions, or comments you may have. My email is larry_nevick@yahoo.com.

Good luck to all and May God be with all of you!

Thank you

Larry(Observer)

Last edited by observingyork on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

"The Observer" Signing Off Empty Re: "The Observer" Signing Off

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:43 am

Best of luck with your new position Larry/Observer!
    All the best....
    Sacred Heart
    Freshman

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by Sacred Heart Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Thank you for your wonderful observations. They will be missed. Best of luck with your new post.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Larry(Observer):

It was always great to read your comments and observations on here. I think I can speak on behalf of every York Region player and coach when I say that you will be missed. On HooptownGTA, you were and are an advocate for YRAA basketball. Personally, I will miss your season preview and fairly accurate playoff predictions!!

I know several of us disagreed on the Vaughan tournament situation but it was done in taste. Personally, I took no offense to any of your comments. It was actually a very respectful discussion, and one that COULD have turned quite nasty if not for the cool heads of all those involved. I think we ALL learned something from that discussion - and isn't that the purpose of this discussion board?

Despite never getting the chance to meet you I can tell what a passionate gentleman you are. You will be missed.

All the best in your new position - I will definitely keep in touch.

Coach Imgrund
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:34 pm

whats up with the vaughan tournament?
    Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post by Tango Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Observer, just last week I was muttering that Hooptown is not as interesting as it once was. It appears to me that a lot of people don't write in the forum anymore. People like you who have always written on topics that was fun and enlightening.

With you gone, it will become even less interesting because we are going to lose a contributor, who I have admired for the interesting topics and objectivity that you so often demonstrate . I have been saying this for a long time that Rick's idea of coming up with such an idea was a stroke of genius, and today I still believe that. But having said that, I think he has drop the ball, with not making this one of the greatest amateur basketball websites, not only in Canada but the world for that matter. More on that at another time.

It is because of this website why we discover guys like you and so many others who have posted informative and interesting topics. To say I am going to miss reading your posts is a huge understatement. However, a man has to do what he has to do. So I want to take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your new job and all your future endeavours.

God's speed brother.
    BBall World
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

"The Observer" Signing Off Empty Observer - signing off

Post by BBall World Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Congratulations on this new position. I'm sure you will meet the challenges with the same incredible passion you displayed supporting the kids playing basketball in this region and throughout the GTA.
    Prodigy33333
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2008-10-24

Post by Prodigy33333 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Congrats!
    Good luck!
    kidlebron23
    kidlebron23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Post by kidlebron23 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Congratulations. Thank you for supporting basketball in the GTA as passionatly as you have. People like you give kids like myself a chance to go some where with the game of basketball.

Thanks You!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am