HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

2 posters

JT! Brampton's Kevin Thomas signed with Fairfield University

rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

JT! Brampton's Kevin Thomas signed with Fairfield University Empty JT! Brampton's Kevin Thomas signed with Fairfield University

Post by rerun Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 am

Ryken's Thomas inks during early signing period
    Friday, Nov. 12, 2010
    By JAMES A. McCRAY III

St. Mary's Ryken High School senior Kevin Thomas, center, signed his letter of intent Wednesday to play basketball at Fairfield (Conn.) University. Left of Thomas is Katrina Graham, mother of teammate Treveon Graham. Standing, from left, are St. Mary's Ryken head boys basketball coach Dave Tallman, Principal Rick Wood and assistant coach Chris Cobbina.

Whether it was a ballpoint, roller ball or fountain pen, all three types of pens and then some were used Wednesday, the first day of the early-signing period for athletes to sign their respective national letters of intent to colleges and universities.

St. Mary's Ryken senior forward Kevin Thomas, from Toronto, used the day to sign his letter of intent to play basketball at Fairfield University, a Division I school and part of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Thomas earned a full scholarship from the Connecticut-based institution.

"I get all of the weight off of my chest," Thomas answered of why he signed on the first available day to do so. "I can go into the [Ryken] season and not really have to worry about anything but just playing and getting better. I don't want to think about what college coach may be in the stands."

And Thomas won't have to worry about the recruiting process any longer as he prepares to start the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference season with the Knights clear of mind, but focused at the task at hand, a WCAC title.

"I'm really excited," Thomas said. "It's the first step to a new beginning. It's all that I have worked for, a free education and playing basketball at the highest level."

On receiving a full scholarship, Thomas added, "It's really good," he said with a smile. "My mom has waited for this since I picked up a basketball."

But aside from playing for a Fairfield Stags team that was ranked the No. 1 team in the MAAC preseason polls, aside from playing in a conference with an automatic bid to the NCAA national tournament famously held in March, Thomas has a long-term mind set in place.

" … Off of the court, I want to major in business and management and Fairfield is nationally known for business. The campus is located right outside of New York City, so, hopefully, when I graduate, I am in a prime location for a job."

Fairfield, Thomas added, also was enticing because of not only its location and academics, but on-the-court opportunities as well.

"On the basketball side of it, they are preseason top 10 in mid-majors and they are ranked preseason No. 1 in the conference. Their system fits my style of play because the big man gets a lot of touches."

Along with Fairfield, the University of Illinois at Chicago was also under Thomas' consideration for the early signing period.

He also said that other schools still were willing to recruit him had he waited beyond the first day to sign a national letter of intent.

But it was Fairfield that won the services of the 6-foot-7 forward.

"When I went on campus, it was small but so family-oriented," Thomas said. "Everyone knows each other and they really make you feel like you're at home. Everyone was talking to me and knew my name and it felt like I was already attending the school."

And sticking true to form in thinking long-term goals and plans, Thomas added, "I can see myself at Fairfield for the next four years."

jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

JT! Brampton's Kevin Thomas signed with Fairfield University Empty Re: JT! Brampton's Kevin Thomas signed with Fairfield University

Post by jt Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:26 pm

cool cool i aint trying to hate on ajax or nothing, i was really confused cuz like i said there is a Kevin Thomas who is same body frame, height, lefty and also went to prep school in the states.

it was a honest question not no hatin or anything

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm