HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
ballislife19
thewayIseeit
zikbad345
coachphillips
8 posters

2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy " 4 more spots available!"

coachphillips
    Freshman

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy  " 4 more spots available!" Empty 2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy " 4 more spots available!"

Post by coachphillips Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am

PHASE 1 Academy beginning our second season and we have 4 spots available on 2 great teams. Contact us right away for more information.

P1 Academy Training and Competition:

PHASE 1 Academy's schedule includes the National Prep School Athletic Association, the top league in Canada and many American prep tournaments and exhibition games. Our athletes will be trained by PHASE 1 Founder Wayne Dawkins

P1 Academy Director/ Head Coach:

Wayne Dawkins
    (416)640-7117
    wdawkins@phase1basketball.com

P 1 Academy Coaches:

Norman Hamilton
    Steve Morrison
    Terence Philips

PHASE 1 Academy:

We know that it takes 10-12 years to prepare an international caliber basketball player. In our club, the basketball curriculum is based on 20 hours of practice and training per week and regular games or tournaments. We realize that not all athletes from the PHASE 1 Academy become professional athletes however we strongly believe that all our PHASE 1 Academy athletes will love to play basketball for life! Players learn how to run properly, have great flexibility, superior physical conditioning, excellent basketball fundamental skills, and exceptional coordination. In two words, our players have: fundamental preparation. PHASE 1 Academy athletes develop a great friendship and sportsmanship with their training partners and players from other leagues and clubs.Our professional coaches give equal opportunities to all PHASE 1 Academy athletes to develop their skills and participate equally in games and tournaments.

The PHASE 1 Academy program consists of:

Elite 1 Basketball Program (year-round)
    Academics
    Community Service

Program Details:

Elite 1 Basketball Program

Creates a consistent training environment utilizing various development techniques specific to basketball and total athlete training appropriate for the level in the LTAD (grade 9 - 10 - train to train, grade 11 + train to compete).
    Provide opportunities to practice and implement what is learned.
    Opportunity to play on the Elite 1 Team
    This program will consist of:
    Individual Assessments
    Basketball Skill Development
    Athletic Training
    Strengthening & Conditioning
    Nutrition guidance
    Sports Psychology
    Competition for Elite 1 Team appropriate for age and/or skill
    Exhibition games (high schools, rep/AAU teams, College/University)
    Tournaments including those during NCAA live periods (local, US, International)

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through "Jesus" Christ which strengthens me."

zikbad345
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy  " 4 more spots available!" Empty Re: 2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy " 4 more spots available!"

Post by zikbad345 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 am

is this a school
    thewayIseeit
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy  " 4 more spots available!" Empty Re: 2011 Boys PHASE 1 Academy " 4 more spots available!"

Post by thewayIseeit Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:56 pm

This stuff makes me laugh...lmao

They quote "PHASE 1 Academy's schedule includes the National Prep School Athletic Association, the top league in Canada"

I remember going to their championship last year and there were kids being pulled from all sorts of rep teams just to fill rosters. There was nobody in the stands it was a joke. To call it the top league in Canada is complete nonsense.

BTW you have to pay around 3-4 thousand dollars for this nonsense. You don't even get any real High School credits for this.
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2011-09-18

Post by ballislife19 Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:44 pm

@thewayiseeit:

Wow you really do talk what you do not know or understand. Phase One is partnered with Vaugh Road meaning students attend classes and receive real classes. Like c'mon you really need to do your research or do a fake call and find out more information before you try and bash peoples programs. BTW, your ignorance makes me laugh.

While 3-4 thousand seems like a lot if you had any education on the amount it costs playing AAU (tournaments,overnight stays and car rentals) you would not make such a ridiculous comment. Aside from the tournament you receive 20 hours per week people pay 450 for rep to get that only 4 hours a week! Do the math.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:45 am

The top high school programs in the city play 30-40 games, practice everyday from Sept to March, get uniforms, play in top tournaments, and they don't charge anywhere near the amount these prep teams charge. High school teams charge anywhere from $50-$300 to play on their teams, and if they weren't getting a teacher's salary they would be coaching and putting in all of that time and effort.

These prep teams have $45000-$70000 available to them from charging the kids and sponsors. I know that no one works for free... prep teams (phase 1, REDA, next level) and AAU programs (CIA, grassroots) spend alot of time away from their families, on the road or practicing...there has to be a benefit for them to spend all of this time for basketball...when the bills are pilling up, no one does it for the love of the game. ....its a business venture for the prep teams and AAU progrmas and an investment... to think they are not benefiting via a "salary" or "tax breaks" then you are not being realistic.

READ the book "Played their Hearts Out" if you want some evidence about how prep teams and AAU teams function.
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:24 am

You are right many programs will charge anywhere from as little as $100 to $300. HOWEVER, Phase 1, Reda and Next Level are not a public or catholic schools. They are what you can classify as a "Private School". All that we as players and parents can hope is that our children are getting what they pay for: top of the line training. Often we get carried away believing that we must always be playing; as my coach once said "train more than you play".
    coachphillips
    Freshman

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

Post by coachphillips Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 pm

I had enough of the allegations about making money for coaching student athletes. To say it's a business is accurate but in Canada be realistic. Can't speak for anyone but myself and the organizations I'm affiliated with. Get the facts straight, Grassroots coaches making money? are you kidding me! Know the facts, team in the US charge kids as much as $5000 for an AAU season, our guys attended as much as 7 tournaments for $1200. Who do you think is footing the additional bills? Coaches and some fundraising, like I said I can only speak about our program.

I coached in the high school system for the past 6 years and I never received a single dollar. Yes you're absolutely correct the bills to add up, the time away from my family and work takes it's toll. I'm very grateful for Wayne Dawkins bringing me on board. Our boys have been in the gym since last Monday everyday for a minimum of 3 hour. Everyone is entitle to his or her opinion but know the facts prior to speaking. The World own our sport because they treat it like a business and develop the best talent.

In Canada no one complains about the OHL and young men being drafted at a young age. Why is that? There coaches, GM, and staff get paid very well. This is not a knock on the OHL but my point is we're double standard in this country. My heart reaches out to the girls team at AY Jackson as the don't have a coach this year, so no team. The past 2 years I did it but I couldn't this year as the bills are adding up. You wouldn't work in your field for free but coaches must continue and still be subjected to allegation. Why not be part of the solution and embrace the changes as there are some kids in the States that should be in Canada.

NPSAA has potential to help our kids, we're not going anywhere. We'll continue to grow our demand will increase, so to will our alumni list. Teams like Pickering, Henry Carr, Eastern etc still will be strong programs despite our league. Those schools have systems and good coaches, so naturally they will continue to flourish. Remember Chaminade, I was told it couldn't work and to be truthful I disagreed, 6 years later I was grateful for the opportunity. Now I say to you there's a need for NPSAA in Canada.

P.S Ballslife judging from your 19 and the new account I take it high school ball is properly over for you? You don't sound bitter about the game so ignore these response and keep your passion for the game. Defending us against adults that are negative is pointless, remaining positive and your passion priceless. Research New Mexico State head
    gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Can someone please help me understand why coaches *shouldn't* be paid to coach?

Or at least have their expenses covered?

$45000-70000? And with that they're supposed to run a program that "pays" head coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, gym time, uniforms, tournament costs etc etc etc?? Are you serious?

The allegations that swirl around are patently ridiculous. None of these guys are rich nor do they drive around in Bentleys. If some of these guys are in it to "make money" or "earn a substantial profit", only one thing is clear: they're doin it wrong! Laughing

Am involved in another sport with another kid where the fees are $1000 and up and the coach does drive a Bentley. He pays NOTHING out of pocket for any tournament ie gas, hotels, equipment...NOTHING. The team pays it via fundraising - get this - ON TOP OF the $1000+ rep fees. For roughly 4 months of this sport, it costs parents somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400-1500, all told. 4 MONTHS. Oh, and at the end of it all everyone pitches in $100 and they buy him a fancy gift.

Like I said: yer doin it wrong!

Last edited by gtahoopstar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Coach, one more comment before I leave this thread. You brought up a strong point about ADULTS I grew up on this forumn as a little kid and enjoyed going on it to find out what people were saying about what player/team. It was a place where kids could be kids. Now when I look at topics/comments its a bunch of adults who are not open minded. Its really sad because they are not giving us the chance to be teens and discuss. They talk about how "going prep takes away your childhood" meanwhile they are doing no different by taking over the forumn with their propaganda. My hope is one day when I log on it will go back to the way it was coaches being real like yourself and the coach from Henry Carr (his name started with an M I don't know if he still coaches there but I remember him posting a couple years back)- coaches/advisors/adults please if you are on this and are trying to advise/comment don't use an alias and use your name! If you are really trying to help us this should be no problem; who knows we might even contact you to find out more information/guidane. There is nothing wrong with adults posting but it becomes childish when they come here with an agenda one that is evident when I browse through there posts history.
    gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:30 pm

You know what ballislife even though I think you've got a couple of facts wrong, for a young person to come on this site and express him/herself so eloquently, I have to give you a bit of praise here. Your parents should be proud. I hope you are doing something in the real world where you can put your obvious talent for writing and passionate expression to good use. Good job!
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 pm

gtahoopstar, I appreciate the compliment. I am always expanding my knowledge and I find your information to add to what I know; thus, I removed many of my comments in a previous thread. I am currently working towards obtaining a bachelor degree in Journalism so hopefully all goes well with that. Once again the compliment is much appreciated!
    thewayIseeit
    Freshman

Post by thewayIseeit Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Coach Phillips,

Are you kidding me?? The OHL model......really?

The Hockey system in Canada is a HORRIBLE way to do things. They weed out kids at an early age. If your not good enough by age 8 or 9 you play house league and your done! If you are good you make it to the "Select Team" where they charge you around $6000 to play. If you have 2 or 3 kids forget it. If you can't pay then you better coach the team.

That is the worst possible model for young people imaginable. It does nothing to develop the kids who could potentially become good later on. i.e., a late bloomer (greatest example of a late bloomer is MJ)

Sure our National Hockey teams do well...but how many of the kids who play "Select" make those teams? maybe 75 to 100 for the entire country on any year. What happened to the rest of those thousands and thousands of kids?

This is the same thing that happens with the US basketball system. They weed out kids at an early age. Only the strong survive. What percentage of all the kids who play ball in the US on any given year make a living from it? either by playing/ coaching / marketing etc?

The USA relies on a large population to get it done. The rest of them are broke and left to battle on their own. Don't be fooled by the Media Hype surrounding the NBA / Pro teams in the US. Ask the question about everyone else who could have should have etc.

The American Prep model (which is now starting to enter Canada) does just this.

You guys only try to recruit the best players around. You do nothing to develop the average kid. Someone who may be good by the time they are 18, 19, 20. I.e., using basketball as a way to live your life, dedication, work ethic, responsibility, respect. The PREP model is nothing but a poaching system aimed to attack High School Ball.

The other terrible thing with the Prep model is that there is "NO" academic responsibility to the school they are taking classes at. Phase 1 players taking classes at Vaughan Road. What a joke. If they skip class do they NOT play in the Prep tournaments? Even if they paid $3000. What a joke.

You can NOT separate the Academics from Athletics. Most players will not make a living off of basketball, they need to take school seriously.

If a athlete is good enough to make the CCAA, CIS, or NCAA do you think they will be able take there schooling elsewhere while they play ball for their University team....NO....They are accountable to the University, Student Athletes, Students, coaches, Fans, etc.

When you play at these Canadian / American "PREP" schools you are only accountable to your team and your coach. THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

The very essence of "PREP" school only serves to undermine our kids. It will NEVER be supported by smart intelligent people who have their kids interest in mind.

tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I agree that coaches should get paid...its the only way to get good coaches to stick around.

But lets be honest, the only programs not making something on the side is the high school system. Again, read the book "Play their hearts out" and educate yourself.

I am not saying every program is the same but these prep teams that have popped up in the gta are just glorified rep teams or AAU teams that compete year round and you have to pay to participate. If parents and students want to do that then I have no issue with that. We had a good high school system, then OBA, US prep schools and now prep teams in the GTA. Everyone is looking for the next best thing. The next step should be European Basketball Academies. The reason basketball canada is unorganized is because everyone thinks they can start the next great thing. We are not working together to benefit basketball. Kids move from program to program trying to cheat the system to make it big, and adults who run the AAU and prep teams are selling hoop dreams.

The recipe for success is easy. Be talented, work in the gym to improve, get good marks, get your education paid for because of basketball, graduate with a degree, get a good job and support your family.

I hear about kids who have been in 3 high schools in the last 4 years. They go from one program to another. I'd like to see their transcripts and in 10 years I'd like to see what they are doing in life.

I want the adults to be honest to kids, think about their future in 15 years and not sell hoop dreams.

Maybe I made some assumptions, but what is the tuition to participate in the phase 1 program for the year? what does it include?
    thewayIseeit
    Freshman

Post by thewayIseeit Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 pm

tart11,

Finally someone with some sense on this board. Thank you for that.

Yes the PREP movement is nothing but a glorified All-Star game.
    I was at the NPSSAA tournament last year and they were pulling kids in to fill roster spots from High School teams. What a joke.

At the end of the day the Canadian Prep teams will lose to the good High School teams. The High School teams have something to play for which goes beyond just basketball. They play for their school friends, faculty, academics, teachers, the school reputation, each other, coach, etc

gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 pm

thewayIseeit wrote:Coach Phillips,
    You guys only try to recruit the best players around. You do nothing to develop the average kid. Someone who may be good by the time they are 18, 19, 20. I.e., using basketball as a way to live your life, dedication, work ethic, responsibility, respect. The PREP model is nothing but a poaching system aimed to attack High School Ball.

The other terrible thing with the Prep model is that there is "NO" academic responsibility to the school they are taking classes at. Phase 1 players taking classes at Vaughan Road. What a joke. If they skip class do they NOT play in the Prep tournaments? Even if they paid $3000. What a joke.

When you play at these Canadian / American "PREP" schools you are only accountable to your team and your coach. THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

The very essence of "PREP" school only serves to undermine our kids. It will NEVER be supported by smart intelligent people who have their kids interest in mind.

Excuse me but just who the heck are you anyways? I hope anyone reading your comments take them with a huge grain of salt.

They don't develop the average player? What dream planet are you living on? Does any high school develop kids that don't make the 12 they pick for Varsity? (or 24 if they have a junior squad, etc)

And why is taking classes at Vaughan Road a joke, exactly? I'm sure there are probably more than a few of last year's grads who would take exception to your comments. Do you have evidence that kids who skip classes or aren't holding academic standards get to play in tournaments?

Bottom line is you have no basis for the comments you are making. You're just slinging mud. Be a man and come out from behind your nickname state what your deal is so people can make a value judgement as to listen to your bs because otherwise you have zero credibility you're just a mouthpiece with a keyboard. You're probably even a coach with his own agenda, but I'll tell you one thing you definitely aren't: a respected high school coach, because the respected coaches on this board don't hide behind fake names and throw out false accusations.
    gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 pm

tart11 wrote:
    But lets be honest, the only programs not making something on the side is the high school system. Again, read the book "Play their hearts out" and educate yourself.

The recipe for success is easy. Be talented, work in the gym to improve, get good marks, get your education paid for because of basketball, graduate with a degree, get a good job and support your family.

Not only have I read "Play Their Hearts Out", I've also read "The Last Shot" and several other books on the subject. Notably that second one I listed deals MOSTLY with the perils in a normal high school, not a prep program. To be honest, if I was to make a judgement of your education based on your comments, am probably far more educated on this than you are. Yeah, I'm gonna bet I am Wink

You keep making this claim that aau/prep coaches here are selling an NBA pipe dream to kids and that only high school proponents such as yourself know the recipie. That only your type holds kids to standards. Well this might come as a newsflash but every single last aau coach I've ever come into contact with, including the most reviled, PREACH THAT EXACT SAME RECIPE. Most of the kids they are "streaming", "grooming", or whatever else you want to call it, they look at as college material, with perhaps a very few truly possessing talent that could be nurtured to play beyond that level. Matter of fact, most of the kids I've talked to in these programs, while I'm sure they'd love to "go league", know full well that the primary objective is to use basketball and school to get their higher education paid for, graduate with a degree, get a good job etc.

So what are you babbling on about, exactly? All these programs, they're just trying to do the same thing, but at a more elite level. Frankly, the only time I've heard anyone talk about the NBA as a goal for these programs is in baseless accusations like this by people like you on forums like this. In the real world, people are alot more realistic and their goals much more noble.

The Canadian High School system is not the be all and end all that looks out for all basketball player's best academic interests, either. I know first hand of a student, in a reputable GTA high school, who had a 52% on his midterm, and yet was still starting for his varsity team. It took his parent's demands of the coach to bench him to get his grades up. If I told you what other positions at the school this coach and his assistants held, your hair would stand on end. There are very few preps that will let a starter continue on when they are failing. In that respect many preps are actually better for some students, because they keep the academic screws on the kids, or they get tutor help. Try getting a tutor in the Ontario public school system - good luck!

Last edited by gtahoopstar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Well said Tart11.

It's interesting that when one voices concerns about systemic exploitation of young male athletes (not mentioning any names or organizations so posts can be removed) and champion the importance of education it's viewed as "not being open minded". i hope that's not the case.

As for Phase I Academy - perhaps your team can see the opportunity to set yourselves apart from the rest and look at the training component as much more than just ball. Your initial post has two lines posted for non-ball activities. Imagine the impression people will have of your group if you develop great players who are academically well situated, taught to be great citizens with great character - and end up in a great place - beyond the court too.

I'd cheer that on! (Unless it's taking place in Brampton or Sante Fe)

gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

acie earl 55 wrote:

It's interesting that when one voices concerns about systemic exploitation of young male athletes (not mentioning any names or organizations so posts can be removed) and champion the importance of education it's viewed as "not being open minded". i hope that's not the case.

It's equally interesting when proponents of normal high school continuously sell this misleading pipe dream that Ontario high schools coaches, principals, teachers etc will care any more than a preps will or will exploit young male athletes any less. That's absolute garbage. There are high schools in the GTA that will let kids get away with murder and still have them playing on the team. It's quite common.

It's also equally interesting when the usual suspects - notably, the nameless faceless twits with clever screen names they hide behind - blatantly troll threads with the same tired crap day in and day out. They offer nothing, they prefer to sling their mud in anonymity. This is probably because they are a. coaches themselves or b. have an agenda of their own. At least when someone like Phillips, Clements, Melnik etc etc post they do under their names.

Last edited by gtahoopstar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 pm

I was a poor student up until grade 12; I failed both Science and Math in my grade 10 year- thankfully, I put my smart socks on and received two 90's in my final year with an overall average in my top 6 being 85%! Anyway my point with me failing two classes is that my flag football coach was fully aware of this yet she continued to not only play me but start me and also play me most of the games the whole season knowing that I was in jeopardy of failing both math and science, which ultimately happened. This adds to gtahoopstars points of players still playing in the public school system even when they are failing.
    gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:52 pm

That is one of the most common tragic tales of the GTA high school sports scene. Sadly, most do not end up accomplishing what you did.

Good for you for getting it together!
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm

It is and an unfortunate one, that is why when we post on this board it is vital that we try not to sell our ideas not based on what we believe is "right" but based on facts/references. There are 1142 views on this topic! Imagine out of that 1142 views, how many are susceptible to what is being said here, in particular the YOUTH?
    gtahoopstar
    Freshman

Post by gtahoopstar Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Prep is not for everyone. Going to the US is not for everyone.

For those who it isn't the right thing, others are trying to develop models that allow kids who stay to still get in front of US coaches etc.

There's going to be growing pains, it's not going to be perfect.
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Canadian prep teams have kids who are either not skilled enough to receive division 1 scholarships, or do not have the marks to qualify. They pay $3000 because they think they can be seen by someone. I guess I am a bit jealous cause I want to start a prep team, I just wonder how much these prep teams get to pocket.

Most of the kids on REDA come from good high school programs...what's the point of paying $3000 to go to REDA when you can get the same thing at a legit high school. They do it because they are not good enough, they don't have any marks and the prep team seems like an easier way out. Why would a prep team or a AAU team be honest to a kid (who is technically a customer). IF the kid hears from his AAU or prep team that they should focus on school and marks before basketball they would leave and find a program that will tell them what they want to hear. REDA, phase 1 needs to fill their spots and receive the $3000.

Bottom line, schools might sell hoop dreams as well, but they are less likely to do so.
    ballislife19
    Freshman

Post by ballislife19 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:41 pm

tart11 wrote:
    Bottom line, schools might sell hoop dreams as well, but they are less likely to do so.

any statistics or polls to prove this?
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 pm

yeah the fact that schools don't make make money...

If a kid shows up at REDA, next level, phase 1 and says I got $3000 put me on a team. How many coaches turn that away?

As well, I am sure this prep teams recruit...they find these kids and say to them, come and play for us, we'll go to US tournaments, you'll be seen, you can go down south, by the way it costs $3000.

I really do not have a problem with anyone running these prep teams, but lets be honest about it. Students and parents need to be educated. At the end of the day I hope people make decisions that they think suit them the best, and it shouldn't matter if I disagree.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am