HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+8
Xavier Rimrocker
JackieMoon33
Mu2
Alwaysthetruth
radio
tart11
stevelogan92
gtaballingnation
12 posters

St. Martins

gtaballingnation
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-11-10

St. Martins Empty St. Martins

Post by gtaballingnation Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Yesterday, St. Martins played an exhibition game against Campion. The final was 78-70, with Martins picking up the W. Astonishingly, Martins was up by 36 at one point of the game. The first half was jaw-dropping, with Martins playing like the showtime lakers. There were alleys, dunks, fancy passes, 3-point shots and defensive intensity. But in the second half they let off a bit, allowing Campion to make a run. Naz Long impressed everyone as he dropped an electrifying 40 points. Not to mention, he made it look very easy and he simply scored at will. Another impressive thing was the crowd. There was so much excitement in that gym, with spectators coming from all around peel just to see them play. The atmosphere was hectic, and I am telling you St. Martins is going to be the toughest gym to play at. As of right now, all their players are eligible for tournaments and exhibition games. However, their ROPSAA eligibilty is still in progress. There is no doubt in my mind that they are the most talented team in the GTA, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go undefeated throughout the season. Although they do lack depth, as only 8 players out of their 14 played yesterday; Naz Long, Jordon Frey, Tremell Mayers, Denzel Lynch-Blair, Alex Rose, Diego Fiorino, Jahmar Neil-Simpson and Roko Biskupovic. This is what their roster looks like;

Starting 5: Naz Long(PG), Tremell Mayers(SG), Alex Rose(SF), Jordon Frey(PF) and Denzel Lynch-Blair(C)
    Key Subs: Roko Biskupovic(PG), Jahmar Neil-Simpson(SG), Diego Fiorino(SF) and Shane Miles(PF)
    Coach: Amir Morgan

They have a solid 8-9 man rotation, which shouldn't be a problem for them as long as they are able to run hard on both ends of the floor. Other then that, all they need to work on is their chemistry. Once that settles in, it's a wrap. For all teams across the GTA, take this as a warning. Be ready to play when you're playing at "the stable". The St. Martin Mustangs are the real deal, and possibly the best highschool team in the GTA.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

St. Martins Empty Re: St. Martins

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Ive heard ROPSAA has denied them all including Naz.

Xavier Rimrocker confirmed this in another thread.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 pm

And come on now giving up a 36 point lead is nothing really to brag about
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 am

they are not eligible, but they are in the pinky lewis this weekend

If 4 of their starters are not eligible then why have them play in tournaments and exhibition games....like the durham league I think ineligible players should not play at all for a school.

Plus Naz is playing for REDA, whats the point...they will win games in tournaments and then in the league the eligible kids will be the sacrificed lambs.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:18 am

St Martins should just join the prep league for the year....
    radio
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by radio Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 am

[quote="gtaballingnation"]Yesterday, St. Martins played an exhibition game against Campion. The final was 78-70, with Martins picking up the W. Astonishingly, Martins was up by 36 at one point of the game. The first half was jaw-dropping, with Martins playing like the showtime lakers. There were alleys, dunks, fancy passes, 3-point shots and defensive intensity. But in the second half they let off a bit, allowing Campion to make a run. Naz Long impressed everyone as he dropped an electrifying 40 points. Not to mention, he made it look very easy and he simply scored at will. Another impressive thing was the crowd. There was so much excitement in that gym, with spectators coming from all around peel just to see them play. The atmosphere was hectic, and I am telling you St. Martins is going to be the toughest gym to play at. As of right now, all their players are eligible for tournaments and exhibition games. However, their ROPSAA eligibilty is still in progress. There is no doubt in my mind that they are the most talented team in the GTA, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go undefeated throughout the season. Although they do lack depth, as only 8 players out of their 14 played yesterday; Naz Long, Jordon Frey, Tremell Mayers, Denzel Lynch-Blair, Alex Rose, Diego Fiorino, Jahmar Neil-Simpson and Roko Biskupovic. This is what their roster looks like;

Starting 5: Naz Long(PG), Tremell Mayers(SG), Alex Rose(SF), Jordon Frey(PF) and Denzel Lynch-Blair(C)
    Key Subs: Roko Biskupovic(PG), Jahmar Neil-Simpson(SG), Diego Fiorino(SF) and Shane Miles(PF)
    Coach: Amir Morgan
    They have a solid 8-9 man rotation, which shouldn't be a problem for them as long as they are able to run hard on both ends of the floor. Other then that, all they need to work on is their chemistry. Once that settles in, it's a wrap. For all teams across the GTA, take this as a warning. Be ready to play when you're playing at "the stable". The St. Martin Mustangs are the real deal, and possibly the best highschool team in the GTA.[/quote]

You joining the forum to give a very descripitive picture of st martins team is a joke.
    Couple things come to mind score 78-70 was this a run up and down the court where was the defense?
    Naz score 40 points is he the only guy on the team or was it a showcase for him?
    What happen to the other impressive players?
    I guess it is best to wait until Feb 2012 when Naz suppose to be leaving to play St martins then the joke would be on them, Wait the joke is already on them if all these transfers cannot play in ROPSSAA .Why not play your bech players these are the guys that would have to carry the team in league season.Naz is suppose to leave in Jan 2012 when is he coming back in march 2012?
    Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am

Just to clarify. St Martins was up by 29, which was their biggest lead at half-time 51-22.

Did we forget to mention that Campion's two best players did not play in Brent Carey and David Aromolaran. Thats two starters. Campion brought it down to five points with one minute left.

St. Martins is only as good as Naz Long takes them. You would really know if you truly analyzed the game. Ask Stevelogan.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 am

I have heard that St.Martins may have removed themselves from ROPSAA Tier 1 because there 5 transfers are ineligible. Dont know if there is any truth to this.

Also, from what I have heard. ROPSAA has changed their rules. Playing at REDA or any of these Prep schools is being treated as if you transfered from another High School. Again no clue if its true or not. Xavier Rimrocker could probably clerify.

Naz is the only true threat on that team. Tremell, Fray, and Alex are role players. I have never seen Denzel play so I cannot comment.

Giving up a 29 point lead especially when Campions top guards were not playing is NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to come on here and brag about. You gave up 48 points in a HALF! Without there top 2 scorers playing. LOL yea great defence ....

Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:09 am

This is why I respect stevelogan, he says it like it is. Always has an informative post.

Also to add of what Stevelogan said, Campion did not do any better on the defensive end in the first half giving up 51 points but they lock down the defense in the second half and the only doing damage was Naz Long, who is the real deal. Everybody else on that team are just role players.

I also noticed his unselfish play and leadership skills, calling out defense and talking to his players. Even speaking nicely with the referees. This great attitude will go along way for this young man. St. Martin is lucky to have his pressure in their gym.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 am

you are probably one of the bench players on the team!

with out Naz the team scores 38 points, lol and probably gives up 90. Add 2 campion starters to the mixed you give up 100.

campion is also an honourable mention for gta teams. Carr beat campion by 40 over the weekend.

Get your head out of the clouds over 1 game. With all their players, they WILL get beat! and they are definitely NOT the best team in the gta
    JackieMoon33
    Freshman

Number of posts : 105
    Registration date : 2010-04-16

Post by JackieMoon33 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 am

Westmount (Hamilton) just beat St Martin in the first game of the Pinky
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 am

[quote="JackieMoon33"]Westmount (Hamilton) just beat St Martin in the first game of the Pinky[/quote]

LOL
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Rejected transfer appellants have the right to appeal so technically the eligibility could still be in progress. However, having been told the section under which they applied and the reason for the rejection, there is no way the appeal will be successful.

Stevelogan, if ROPSSAA has redefined interscholastic to include prep programs then it hasn't yet been added to the transfer regulations. As far as I know, changes to the ROPSSAA constitution can only be made at the AGM in the late spring so any change this season would have been made last school year and thus should be in the up to date regulations.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 pm

There is no denying that Naz Long is a great player. After his performance against Pine Ridge, I can see why he is a D1 Calibre player. Pine Ridge was up on St. Martins by 15-17 point in the first half and Naz had 4 fouls. He still remained out on the court and never managed to get a 5th foul, and then single handedly beat Pine Ridge with his excellent long range shooting in the second half. As good as Pine Ridge was in the first half, he was a one man wrecking in the second half and clearly showed that he's a extremely skilled player. I give credit where credit is due....the boy can flat out play!!!!
    St. Martins is definitely a top 10 team in the GTA, if Naz and the others are eligible.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:09 am

This was a attempt to make and end run around the rules to create a one-off Peel power house and an easy AA OFSAA medal and it failed. Someone forgot to read the transfer rules closely and see that a basic condition of their application was missing and it is now too late to change it. The only question is who was behind trying to organize this blatant recruiting attempt.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 am

There Coach! Amir Morgan. He was Kulig's assistant at Goetz coached Naz, Fray, Alex in junior over there. Denzel and Tremell are friends with those 3.

Obvious;y recruiting.
    Cyber Blacer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-08-23

Post by Cyber Blacer Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:07 pm

really

Last edited by Cyber Blacer on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Could you please stop spamming every thread with a mention of Peel with the same post? Pick one and then wait for someone to help. Xavier RR is the expert on transfer rules and he is very good about answering the same questions over and over but the rest of us prefer not to to see the same post EVERYWHERE.
    Cyber Blacer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-08-23

Post by Cyber Blacer Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm

i placed the post on 3 different posts .... chill
    and1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Post by and1 Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm

what tournaments did they win?
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm

St. Martins won the Pinky Lewis tournament in Hamilton at the beginning of November. They beat Holy Trinity (Oakville) in the final 63-62. After that tournament win, there hasn't been much talk on their overall results. They were in the George Brown Tournament in December, but, the final results of that tournament were never posted. They may have won that tournament as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am