HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
petro
observer
Coach Clement
7 posters

Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Raptor Talk 11-12  Big Changes May be in the Works! Empty Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Post by Coach Clement Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am

Time to start this up again with the new season set to roll come Christmas.

What are your thoughts on the signing Jamaal Magloire to a 1-year contract?

http://twitter.com/#!/TSN1050Radio/s...18189756710912

Last edited by Coach Clement on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 am; edited 30 times in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Raptor Talk 11-12  Big Changes May be in the Works! Empty Re: Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Post by Coach Clement Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 pm

The schedule is brutal I predict many injuries due to fatigue from such a ridiculous slate of games.

Why does the NBA do these things? Is it simply a matter of money in someone's pocket? Mad

The quality of basketball will be sorry to watch as a result of this.

But watch I will - I'm not sure why!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Raptor Talk 11-12  Big Changes May be in the Works! Empty Re: Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Post by observer Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Sobering article in today's Toronto Star by Cathal Kelly entitled "Raps Set Bar as low as it can go".

Colangelo was quoted as saying he doesn't expect to sign any free agent to anything other than a one year deal, and that he "feel(s) kind of sorry for Dwane (Casey)". Casey himself said "a lot of games, sad to say, are going to be practices." It sounds like Raptors fans are the ones they should feel sorry for with this approach.

Magloire is a feel good kind of signing, I guess. A good community guy coming home. Had we completed this signing five or six years ago it would have been a lot more significant. His on court contributions have been minimal for several years now.

A guy who they should try to sign is Elijah Millsap who is playing for the LA Defenders. He looks to be someone who could fill Sonny Weems spot -- an athletic three man who can shoot from range and take it to the hoop.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Huge rumours floating just now about Chris Paul to the Lakers for Odom and Gasol or possibly Bynum!

Also Howard to Lakers - CRAZY!!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 am

Because small market owners protested the League nixed the Chris Paul deal.

There's several other rumours out there however!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:12 am

Even with Magloire's signing, the team looks thin in the frontcourt. Bargs and Amir will have to play a lot of minutes.

It did look like Kleiza was working out yesterday, but I don't think they should count on him right away given the microfracture surgery.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am

Agreed on the frontcourt being thin. Wondering if Alabi can be an NBA player. Magloire can help but only in a very minor role maybe he's rejuvenated by his return home. He has declined considerably in the last couple of years.

Word is no Kleiza until January. If he recovers he can help the cause!

Looks like a tough year for sure!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Raptors have picked up Mickael Pietrus reportedly giving up a second-round draft pick.

I like it defence and a shot-maker added on the wing. We need help there so he's a good addition imo!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm still torn as to what my connection is to this team and the NBA.

The whole Miami thing last year put a bad taste in my mouth.

And then the constant rebuilding of the Raps. That organization surely was quick to take/accept many of thousands of dollars from my pocket and I have nothing to show for it - other than regret and reluctancy.

I will watch... probably from a distance... but certainly not like anything before.
    Two things intrigue me about this team... the youth movement and where they will land in the lottery for 2012 draft.

observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Apparently the Pietrus deal is likely to be rescinded due to concerns about his knee.

The reports are they are adding Anthony Carter, Rasual Butler and Aaron Gray, in addition to Magloire. They've also signed Gary Forbes to an offer sheet. He showed some promise as a perimeter shooter last year with Denver, but he's not really a young player.

I see Butler as a level below Pietrus, who has a resume as a very good defender.

As this team looks ill equipped to make the playoffs it could have been advisable to bring a young guy or two in from the D-League who might develop. Other than Forbes, these are journeymen whose best attribute is their experience at the NBA level, and probably their willingness to accept the veterans minimum.

Agree with you Petro - I can't see myself buying tickets to more than a game or two with this lineup. The team is working the phones right now trying to sell tickets but on the basis of what I've seen so far, I'll watch for a while on the tube.

These moves look a lot like those which assembled the 2002-03 team at the end of the Lenny Wilkens era, which filled out the roster with guys like Greg Foster, Nate Huffman, Jelani McCoy, Voshon Leonard, Jermaine Jackson and Lindsey Hunter. I watched quite a few of those games in person and they were awful (24 and 58 record, despite Vince, Mo Pete, AD, etc).

20 wins would be a major accomplishment, with this group, I'd say.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 am

From Raptor Republic:

Rasual Butler signed with the Raptors, there’s talk of Aaron Gray (backup center from NO) signing as well, and there’s the Forbes offersheet as well. Oh yeah, Anthony Carter too.

-------

These signings would take the training camp roster to 15 players, and in doing so the Raptors haven’t made one fiscally questionable move. All they’ve done is improve their woeful three-point shooting, improved their interior defense (albeit not by much, but still), and added defense at the wings where it was sorely lacking.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Fiscally responsible -- yes. Significant additions to a team in need of talent -- doubtful. They are shopping in the bargain bin. Every once in a while you will find someone useful in there, who other teams have overlooked (Jamario Moon, for example), but not often. Perhaps Jamal will enjoy a bit of a resurgence in his career, coming home, and with more playing time on a team in need of a backup 5. And if he can be a leader in the locker room that would be a plus.

The problem will occur if Bargs, Amir, Calderon or DeRozan are injured for an extended period. With the exception of Forbes, these guys look to me like personnel best equipped to play 10 minutes a game at this point in their careers.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Barbosa should be healthy and raring to go... he's had two seasons of injuries so hopefully he can be a nice spark off the bench.

There are useable parts and tradeable assets... how it's brought all together will be interesting. Perhaps they surprise all of us and themselves.

Bargs is still a pylon on defense and under the boards... hopefully Casey will sit his arse.

My prediction... and this is an optimistic approach... 25 wins... maybe even a couple more if Demar, Baylis and Johnson's individual development improved i.e bigger, faster, stronger... and of course if Casey actually changes the defensive mindset and they actually commit to defending.

In the same breath... I wouldn't be surprised if they only hit 15 w's.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm

This appears to be one of the least talented Raptors teams dating back to the Darrell Walker era. There is little depth. 20 wins may be possible if everyone stays healthy. Agree that 15 is possible if not. Amir is coming off ankle surgery and Calderon also has past issues with his hamstrings.

This team appears to need to run to be successful. When you run you make turnovers and get into shootouts. And that doesn't fit the defensive approach. They don't appear to have the personnel to play a half court game, with no real back to the basket guy.
    LetMeIntroduceMyself
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2011-12-11

Post by LetMeIntroduceMyself Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 am

Demar is going to need to carry the raptors for them to do anything in my opinion straight up, this kid wants to be great... they need to give him that opportunity
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 am

Latest rumour is Hasheem Thabeet may be available. It seems Rockets may have released him.

Down the road is Alabi able to give us what a Thabeet might or would this be a good next pickup?

Certainly Thabeet was highly regarded coming out of college but he really hasn't shown much so far in his NBA career.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 pm

^^^
    Talk about bust.

Dude should go to Europe to a mid level pro team and move his way up the ranks in EUrope... learn how to play first and then try his game at the NBA.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:15 pm

I guess that means you put he and Alabi at about the same level so in your estimation Raptors do not need another project guy like that to work on!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, not exactly coach... if I had a choice it would be Thabeet based on size and length. Cuz if you do get him going - his potential is far greater than Alabi. Hey... I say get him... teach him... play him... be patient with him... tank the year and pick from one of the best draft classes ever!!! Smile

Thabeeet was, what, 4th overall??? That's what I mean by bust.

I only saw him two or three times while he was at UCONN and it was obvious he had tonnes to learn. Poor feel for the game. Europe would do him wonders... 3 or 4 years there and he would come back a man - not a kid without a clue.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Thabeet was picked second overall in 2009 and is owed over $5 million this year by the Rockets. Then he's off the books. There is talk they may buy him out. I'd be surprised if they do that since there are likely to be guys in the future with even more screwed up contracts than this one.

I think he has two NBA level skills - shot blocking and rebounding. On the offensive end, he's totally raw.

I'd take him over Alabi who appeared totally in over his head last year.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 am

2nd overall... WoW... even more of a bust!

He should also watch film on how Mutumbo played and mould his style of play around that... rather than settling for that ugly 8 foot jumper.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:31 am

Whats the updated signings so far?

Magloire
    Forbes
    Carter
    Butler

anyone else?
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 am

Add Aaron Gray to the list.

Forbes is now on board as the Nuggets didn't match the offer sheet. This looks like a good pickup for the Raps as this guy has some game.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Amazing - after how I felt a few days ago (basically disinterested)... I am quite intrigued to see how this team grows and how they come together. Wife was even talking tickets but I said "no way"... actually screammed "no way" lol!

Don't know much about Forbes but sounds like a solid pick up. ANd we owe him a big thank you for forcing Leo to resign. cheers

But I always liked Gray... from his Pitt days and when he came into the league. He always had that soft body but saw him on TV and he looks a lot leaner and firmer... hopefully my eyes were accurate and that his new body translates to better success on the court. High b-ball IQ.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 am

"The absolute professionalism here has impressed me immensely ... As good as I could ever expect and I hope to give it all back.”

The words of the new Raptor Director of Sport Science Alex McKechnie to describe the Toronto Raptor organization. He is considered a genius in his field by those who know more about the game than I. But rarely does Joe Fan get to hear about such as he.

Here is a link to the full story:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/23/raps-trainer-stretches-em-out

Maybe with the hiring of Dwane Casey and his staff, the development of Jonas Valanciunas and now this gentleman we are positioning ourselves to move forward in the future. And the future may be about to begin within our lifetimes.

Some tough days ahead but better days to come! Keep the faith!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm