HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
petro
observer
Coach Clement
7 posters

Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Raptor Talk 11-12  Big Changes May be in the Works! - Page 4 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Post by Coach Clement Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 am

I was only home to see the fourth quarter of yesterday's debacle but it was no display of the best the sport has to offer!

Garbage minutes for a bunch of second-rate pros - UGLY! What a Face

Apparently Joe Johnson single-handedly dismantled us in a matter of very little time in the second quarter. Thank heaven for small mercies that would have been a sorry spectacle for sure.
    Apparently Casey could not coax his usual defensive effort out of his charges and DeRozan returned to the mediocrity we have seen from him for most of this season.

Next up? The Celtics who are on a resurgence in recent games. I'll be home for this one I hope its better viewing than last night's crap-kicking!

I will be there when the Celtics come in to the ACC on Feb. 10th. Here's hoping we show some balls and stand up to the bully boys from Beantown!

Send them a message tonight - we will not back down when they lay on the lumber! Maybe Magloire earns his paycheque in these ones!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Raptor Talk 11-12  Big Changes May be in the Works! - Page 4 Empty Re: Raptor Talk 11-12 Big Changes May be in the Works!

Post by petro Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 pm

No Magloire in this game.

Only message being sent is "we soft" and "we weak" and "we very far away from even mediocrity"

Coach... hope you turned it off like I did... thank God for "Two and Half Men" and CSI re-runs.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 am

On a night when Amir Johnson dispelled whatever personal demons which have beset his game, Jose Calderon served up a season-high 17 helpers and the seemingly impossible became possible.

The impossible being this group of offensively challenged NBA-ers scoring 100 without their prime offensive weapon Andrea Bargnani in the lineup.

A real feel-good ass-whupping being hung on the hapless Washington Wizards - good to see in a season when the wins have been few and far-between.

Next up Dwayne, LeBron and CB thats going to be a tough one for sure!

DeMar is in a sorry funk indeed! He is a non-factor these days!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 am

There will be many more low points in a season where teams are playing games with the frequency that this brutal schedule dictates. Still I will remember last night's dismantling of the Boston Bullies for a long time to come. Being at the ACC to take this one in live was a bonus!

I cringed when DeRozan settled for some early jumpers but was elated when he got to the rim/got to the line later. He may be coming of age!

Jose was magnificent even without Bayless and with Coach Casey forced to use Anthony Carter in a back-up role - ZERO turnovers and fourteen assists. Also surprising defence vs. Rondo who never looked less effective. Carter looks to be past his expiry date for sure!

This was a total team effort with huge contributions from the likes of Aaron Gray, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Amir and just about every Raptor who stepped on the floor. Rasual Butler was an obvious exception once again - terrible with a capital ter!

Standing up to the bully tactics of a Kevin Garnett and his henchmen - priceless! bom

I am so a fan of Coach Casey! I love his intensity - we must have him onboard moving forward!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 am

I was going to post something on this topic after the Lakers game because it pisses me off big-time! The issue is the way the NBA referees call the game for the elite in the league like the Lakers and for the doormats like the Raptors, Bobcats, etc.

To me a foul is a foul whether you are DeMar or LeBron and taking the ball to the hole. Lord knows LeBron is better able to withstand the clutch and grab tactics lesser players are forced to employ in defending the likes of His Majesty.

Time and time again I see DeMar get bumped, banged sometimes even decked with no call. This should simply not be so! LeBron doesn't really need any special treatment but to me he always seems to receive the benefit of the refs' calls.

The unequal playing field galls me no end! Are the refs not professional enough to call a foul a foul? cyclops

Steve Buffery tackles this topic in this morning's Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/13/refs-dont-cut-raptors-any-slack

I am of the opinion that Butler used more than his five seconds before asking for a time-out but maybe that's just me I am definitely no fan of Rasual! I kind of see Casey's reasoning in putting him in but really ---!

On a happier topic see this reported from Doug Smith:

Raptors draft pick Jonas Valanciunas has parlayed an excellent season into a prestigious award.

The 7-foot Lithuanian, chosen fifth overall by Toronto in last June’s NBA draft, has been named FIBA’s European Young Men’s Player of the Year for 2011.

In voting conducted by a panel of European basketball experts, Valanciunas beat out Spain’s Nicola Mirotic in the voting.

Valanciunas averaged 23 points and 13.9 rebounds in leading Lithuania to the FIBA under-19 world championship last July; he averages 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per game in the EuroLeague with Lietuva Rytas of Lithuania this season.

“A lot of people compare Valanciunas to (legendary Lithuanian centre Arvydas) Sabonis, but he has his own distinct style,” said FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.

“What he does have in common with Arvydas is the potential to develop into a big man who dominates the game at both ends of the floor, just like the Lithuanian legend did.”

Valanciunas is expected to join the Raptors for the 2012-13 NBA season; he will play this summer for Lithuania as it tries to get one of three spots remaining in the 2012 London Olympics.

observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Post by observer Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 am

Apparently Wilson Chandler had some talks with the Raptors as his contract in China has expired. That would be a significant pickup for the Raps if they could get him. He was playing at a high level in Denver last year. Looks like he's a restricted free agent and I would imagine the Nuggets would like to hang onto him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/22/wilson.chandler/index.html
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Some positive for the Raps with a win over Pistons. Calderon is playing at a high level offensively. DeRozan and Davis showing improvement of late!

Some are saying that Chandler may not be a good fit in Denver's very balanced lineup. They have Gallinari and Harrington so long-term is a fit for their roster?

I agree he could be a good pickup for Raptors. He's been a Raptor killer in the past!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 am

Interesting interview with Alan Anderson, newly arrived Raptor.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/playlist/raptors-practice-mar-27-2012
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 am

If nothing else Coach Casey has established the will to overcome in his Raptors.

Their win over Denver was far from pretty but they got 'er done!

The tank-o-holics would not approve but I say compete till that last dog is hung!

Better days ahead!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Hardly been paying attention... but I do like the direction and some of the pieces... still miles away from competing for a deep playoff run... I like the talk of Nash giving the Raps an equal chance at signing him with his upcoming free agency this summer.

Can't wait to see Valencunious suit up... he's having a solid year over in Europe... just needs to put on some size this summer.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 pm

You can actually see some of the young guys developing, which is a silver lining in this mediocre season. Bayless, and James Johnson, in particular, have stepped it up. Johnson is a legitimate starter at the 3 and fills the stats sheet with blocks, rebounds, points and assists. He came out after two years of college and is still young. Bayless has emerged as a potent scoring threat, either off the bench or as a starter. Too bad he got injured and is out for the year. Since Barbosa's departure, Gary Forbes has shown he was a role as a swingman with a big frame who can hit the boards. They need to forget spotting him at the 1. He can't play that position. Gray looks like he could stick as a backup 5, in a banger, rebounder role. Those were four good pickups by Colangelo.

On the other hand, both Davis and DeRozan seem to have stalled in their development. DeRozan shows flashes of brilliance but is maddeningly inconsistent. Davis hasn't added to his game. But he's still young too.

As more guys come out, a decent impact pick out of the lottery looks likely.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:26 am

Here's a link to an article that I enjoyed and agree with:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/30/raptors-are-a-team-city-can-be-proud-of/

Just a short excerpt that gives an insight into what we already know about Dwane Casey:

But at ground level, Casey has drastically improved the historically porous defence — the Raptors are a top-10 team in defensive field-goal percentage, which in Toronto is a little like making the sun rise in the West, tradition be damned — and can’t worry about doing too good of a job. “I believe in letting the basketball gods take what happens,” as he puts it.

The result is a team that Toronto can be proud of. Across the aisle the Leafs are collapsing in a way nobody thought possible; they are not just falling into a high draft pick, but they are doing it like dead men, their eyes empty. The Raptors fight. There were four other teams that woke up Friday with 17 wins; two of them are in position to get top-five odds in the lottery. Almost every team in the league is supposedly better than Toronto is, but Casey has done his job so well that he could make his boss’s job that much harder.

The Toronto Raptors are fortunate to have this man as their coach as we move forward beyond this sorry excuse for an NBA season!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for the link. This is a very good article.

Coach Casey was a very good pickup by Colaneglo. We were fortunate to get someone of his calibre. If they can avoid major injuries, with him at the helm I think he can turn this thing around.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Another honour for JV - he looks like the real deal!

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/news/i/95958/3735
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

All this hype about the Kentucky studs like Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist... but let me say this... if JV played in that final four... he would've been the most dominant stud on the court and all the hype would be about him.

No way would he go 1 for 10 from the field... NO WAY.

Davis is phenomenal athlete but he relies on his athleticism and length and until he has a post up game and a consistent jumper he will not be able to score... and until he puts on the meat he will not be able to bang.

Just my opinion!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:24 pm

So what you are saying is that JV is more NBA-ready at this point!

Know what, I agree!

Recent wins are hurting our lottery odds but I love all that Casey is about!

We know we have something good coming our way and you never know with the draft. Many projected superstars turn out to be super-busts its a crap shoot!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Yes coach... I think JV is way more ready.

Most of Davis' points are off of dunks in transition or put backs. Rarely does he score off posting his man. He really doesn't have a go to post move but no doubt he has the footwork and ability to develop this.

I do think he has very nice form/mechanics on his shot and has potential to become an excellent mid range shooter. But the work has to be put in.

No doubt Davis would be my first pick in this years draft... but I've been following JV all year... caught several games on live stream... he's unreal... and I'd take him over Davis in a heartbeat.

JV is bigger and almost as athletic... and he's playing against pros/men every single night out and dominating.
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 am

Anthony Davis reminds me a little of Marcus Camby when he came out of UMass and was the Raptors pick. Long, skinny, great instincts and wingspan for shot blocking. Rudimentary offensive game. Camby never did develop a post game but he did develop a funny looking but somewhat effective mid range jump shot.

The other guy, Robinson, from Kansas, reminds me of Amir Johnson. Maybe a little more athletic than Amir but the same kind of interior game. Amir has also developed a fairly reliable mid range game and is probably a better shot disrupter. Robinson also seems to be an ultra competitive guy who can rile up opponents, which can backfire.

The Raptors have actually developed some depth on this team they have right now. If they can re-sign Gray, as a backup five, they should be okay with him and JV at that position, particularly if JV continues his development. Bargs is the stretch four, with Johnson at the three, DeRozan at two and Calderon at the point. You have pretty good backups in Bayless (1/2), Forbes (2/3), Kleiza (3) Davis (4), Amir (4/5) and Gray (5), if he returns. Anderson could remain as a utility man (2/3).

So basically you are looking to fill a couple of roster spots out of the draft and free agency. I'd say their two biggest needs would be a backup 4/5 particularly if Gray leaves (this spot to be filled by Gray or another free agent), another point guard and another swingman (most likely to come out of the draft). An extended injury to Calderon is perhaps the area where they are most vulnerable. I see Bayless as more of an instant offense guy than a pure point guard.

Coach Casey needs to keep an eye on the minutes of Calderon and Bargnani for the rest of the year. The one thing they don't need is another significant injury at this point in the season.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:32 am

I am happy that Coach Casey has been extended for two more years.

He has done a lot with a little!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 am

The current lottery system has to be rethought.

The sorry spectacle of teams tanking to get more lottery balls is counter to the integrity of the game.

This MUST be changed!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 am

23 wins. Three more than I had predicted before the season started.

This was a mixed up year with this compressed schedule which probably contributed to the number of injuries - Bayless, Bargnani, Amir (who didn't miss many games but appeared banged up much of the year).

The good news -- much better defense. About 8 ppg less against. Pretty much everyone was buying into playing defense.

The bad news -- the offense sputtered at times. They didn't get much offense out of the point guard, power forward or centre positions. Inconsistent performances from a number of guys -- Amir, Davis, Forbes. Not many new, meaningful additions to the team -- Gray made some modest contributions up the middle. Anderson, late in the year, showed he could play NBA calibre defense.

Other positives -- good team chemistry. No major issues. One minor one with James Johnson near the end.

Hard to judge with this mixed up season. Some big wins, over the Celtics, Sixers, and some bad losses. But not as many games where they were non competitive as last year.

One need seems to be for a second point guard to help Jose. Is Ben Uzoh the guy? Perhaps as a third point guard with a defensive mentality.

They need more out of the four spot. Amir needs to get healthy and Davis to improve his consistency. If James Johnson is going to be the starting 3 man he also needs to be more consistent, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. On defense he shows a lot of promise.

This is a pretty deep draft, so they should get a decent player at their spot.

They need to do a better job with the free agents next year. Other than Gray they really didn't get much of a contribution from any of the guys they brought in before the season started.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 am

Doug Smith (who sometimes seems to have some insider information) sees a pretty big overhaul coming:

I think there will be at least a half dozen new players and maybe 3 or 4 in a nine-man rotation; there will be Valanciunas, a new starting 3; a back up 2 and perhaps a backup PG

I think this just may be the case. BC is probably itching to pull the trigger on some big changes. I think Kleiza (amnesty?) - in spite of the J-V connection - and Amir are likely to go (glut at 4 spot) and maybe Bayliss (trade?) too!

Other changes to bench players like Alabi and one of Magloire or Aaron Gray. Forbes and Anderson will get a shot but it remains to be seen if they're keepers. Ben Uzoh is probably moving on.

There could be a lot of change coming, Smith may be right!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:57 am

Will be interesting to see what they do with Bayless. They declined his option making him a restricted free agent. There is some scoring talent there but as a backup point guard he doesn't do what you want your backup one to do -- distribute the ball well. Someone will surely make him an offer and the Raps will have to decide whether to match.

I don't see Uzoh, Magloire or Alabi returning. All great guys though. Gray probably did enough to deserve another one year deal backing up JV. Anderson also became a coach's favourite with his defense and effort. As a utility man at the 2/3, a 9th or 10th guy, at the veteran's minimum salary, he probably has value.

Forbes has another year left on his deal so I think he will return.

The other issue is Bargnani's health -- playing all of those minutes caught up to him this year. He actually showed quite a bit of improvement on the defensive side of the ball but the coach blundered playing him in the high thirty minutes two games in a row when he first came back from that leg injury.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am

In reference to Gray you may be correct I think it was Casey who spoke at length yesterday about the importance of setting good screens.

That is definitely one of Gray's strengths!
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:40 am

Their two best players - Bargnani and Calderon - are wearing down. Amir also appears to be breaking down. These have to be concerns, moving forward.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am