HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
yoyo
microwave
jayallday
airCHINA
ballin45
Ballhawks
11 posters

Scadding Court Basketball Tryouts

Ballhawks
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-07-19

Scadding Court Basketball Tryouts Empty Scadding Court Basketball Tryouts

Post by Ballhawks Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Are you coming back for your 5th year or entering grade 11 or 12 in September and feel that you have the skills and mindset to attain a basketball scholarship? Then we have the program that will assist you in attaining your goal. This program is only for the mentally strong and focused basketball players who are discipline and committed. Try-outs for Scadding Court Scholarship Development team are on the following days:

Tuesday August 5 at 7:40 pm
    Friday August 8 at 6:00 pm

Scadding Court is located at 707 Dundas Street West on the corner of Dundas and Bathurst downtown Toronto.
    ballin45
    Freshman

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Scadding Court Basketball Tryouts Empty Re: Scadding Court Basketball Tryouts

Post by ballin45 Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:30 pm

what if you cannot make one of the tryouts? Possibly the second one?
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:09 pm

You only need to come to one of the try-outs, you do not need to attend both. If you are good it will be evident, if you have the right character and the right mindset it will also be evident in the try-outs.
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by airCHINA Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 pm

so how does this work. so, lets say i tried out and made it. what happens next?
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-08-02

Post by www Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 am

ballhawks, if this is jon or anyone besides elliot, can you contact me at most_over_looked@hotmail.com
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:26 am

Lets have common sense if you make it, what do you think is the next step? Logically you will be notified of when the practices are.

Yes i will be coaching the team (John). Have a question for you guys, do some of you think you are good enough to actually be able to select the school or coach that you will play for at the next level. Very few are good enough to have this option.
    jayallday
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2008-07-30

Post by jayallday Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 pm

I was wondering if there was any was I could get your email, so that I can get a better idea of what this is about. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:58 pm

I could be reached through e-mail at the following hotmail account;

bdaballhawksca@hotmail.com
    microwave
    Freshman

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

Post by microwave Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:26 pm

Sorry to burst any peoples bubbles, but if you haven't gotten looked at by grade 11, theres hardly a chance you will get a scholarship. Even tho canadian basketball is on the rise, and our HS players are improving greatly they are still leaving the country to go play prep school in the states. The only chance you have is playing on our best AAU teams (grassroots, bounce) and top HS's in the GTA (carr,eastern commerce ect)

Sorry boys, but this scadding court will not get you a scholarship.
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by airCHINA Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:58 pm

i agree with microwave but even if you havent been scouted yet, it doesnt hurt to try out and get some replies from the coaches there, they might give you some tips on how to improve your game.
    yoyo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by yoyo Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:59 am

is this Scholarship Development team, an aau team? an oba team? what exactly is it? what exactly will it do for us? also is it goin to any aau tournaments this year?
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 am

Playing on our best AAU teams will definitely assit you in getting a scholarship i am not going to question that going to Eastern Commerece will also assit because of the competition at the school, open gyms and exposure to us tournaments. Are these the only two ways NO! If they were could somebody explain how the following players got scholarships to the states.

None of these following players played AAU.

Paul Campbell - Nothview - Hawaii
    Jared Mintz - CHAT / Vaughan Road (last year only) - Lafayette
    Adam Folker - Markham - UC Irvine
    Chris Johnson - Eastern Prep - Kilgore College
    Shamus Ferguson - Liberman - Mineral Area College

The truth of basketball in Toronto is that it is controlled by a few people who have a word in the states we all know about Ro R. (Grassroots) and Roy R. (Mission and Basketball Ontario) but Mike G. and Tony M. (CIA Bounce) are quickly making a name for themselfs. Those are the power brokers then their are a couple of other players like myself who do not have the same power as those people but have managed to be very success in finding kids scholarships.

yoyo to answer your question the only aau tournaments left worth going to this year are in September and no we are not scheduled to go to them. We will participate in the aau circuit starting in March of the coming year. Also what will it do for you is prepare you for the next level so when you get there, there is mininal transition.
    unknown
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9

Post by unknown Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:17 am

can you give us some bus direction please, coming from scarbough
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Mr Bean Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 am

The recipe for a scholarship is desire (to improve all the time), playin for a top notch high school program (education, development of basketball talent and IQ, discipline and competition) and for a top notch AAU program (exposure, development). The most complete high school programs (Eastern, Carr, Mother Teresa, Pickering) are also closely associated with the most complete AAU programs (CIA/Bounce, Grassroots, Mission). With that combo, if you have the smarts and ability, you can get a scholarship.
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:14 pm

The directions are fairly simple take the subway to Bathurst subway station go street level to the streetcars and hop on. Get off at Dundas and the Community Center is attached to the Library on the southeast corner.

My question still holds Mr Bean, then how did the above 5 players get scholarships none played AAU, Only Chris J. attended Eastern Prep. which was associated with Eatern Commerce but still different.
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:15 pm

The directions are fairly simple take the subway to Bathurst subway station go street level to the streetcars and hop on. Get off at Dundas and the Community Center is attached to the Library on the southeast corner.

My question still holds Mr Bean, then how did the above 5 players get scholarships none played AAU, Only Chris J. attended Eastern Prep. which was associated with Eatern Commerce but still different.
    microwave
    Freshman

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

Post by microwave Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Lol

Paul Campbell- attended JC in arkansas before transfering to hawaii ..

Jared Mintz- Had top quality grades that helped him deeply with connections to get to lafayette .. he played for vaughn which is still a great school, it also helps that your a 6'8 230 forward .. which you dont come by very often here in toronto

Adam Folker- Being named to the "thomas report" all ontario 1st team, all ontario academic team, all canada 1st team, being credited as the top PF in ontario ... and being in the toronto star a few times doesnt hurt at all. Hes a diamond in the rough, who did great for himeself on and off the court .. you will never find a guy like that for a very long time, plus playing for a powerhouse team in markham where theres barely any basketball talent to begin with helps greatly

Chris Johnson- Another prep school tranfer .. who went to a community college in the middle of nowhere in texas to do nothing. Only one professional basketball player was ever produced from that school (francisco elson) .. i dont see why you think its a big deal going to school in the middle of an oil field

Shamus Ferguson- Mineral area college? Are you kidding me? This school is located in the middle of nowhere in the mountains in missouri and is barely established as a JC, realistically .. i dont call that a big success

Sorry coach, ive come across many talents and if they got anywhere with basketball they've had either connections, great academics, playing on a great REP team/HS team and had the determination to continue there dream by going to a decent school in the states or stay here and play in the CIS.

Need i say more?

Im not ragging on your development team, hey i wish you the best and i hope your team does well .. but by saying " Do you feel that you have the skills and mindset to attain a basketball scholarship? Then we have the program that will assist you in attaining your goal. " --- Clearly, this is false advertising and by saying those things, your just giving kids false hope
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Post by Mr Bean Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 pm

I did not mean to diminish your program ballhawk.

I said it was a recipe for a scholarship, not sure fire, and not the only way. I do not know much about your program ballhawk, but it seems to be working.

Can you dispute that pairing a good high school program with a good AAU program, where both stress development of fundamental skills, basketball IQ, and exposure, is the best way to get a scholarship?
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I do not dispute that pairing both of those together is the best model but as you indicated it is not a sure fire. I am not after those kids that attend the elite HS programs because their comitment will clash with my program. Plus i would have to deal with their egos which i do not want to deal with.

I would like to give those other kids who have potential and do not go the those elite HS an opportunity.
    yoyo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4

Post by yoyo Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 am

[quote="Ballhawks"]
    yoyo to answer your question the only aau tournaments left worth going to this year are in September and no we are not scheduled to go to them. We will participate in the aau circuit starting in March of the coming year. Also what will it do for you is prepare you for the next level so when you get there, there is mininal transition.[/quote]

if you are participating in the aau circuit starting in march, isn't that to late to help out 5th year players get scholarships?

and are these try outs for the top aau team you have or just a place where kids can get better?
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Post by Mr Bean Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:43 am

I see your strategy ballhawk. Not all players can play for those schools and AAU programs.

Do your thing helping these players.
    ballin45
    Freshman

Post by ballin45 Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 pm

how many ppl tried out today? also how many returning players were there
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 am

16 Players tried out all guards. 3 returning players were there (a 6'0 Point guard, 6'4 Combo guard and a 6'6 Shooting/Wing). Out of the 16 i will probably take 3 and work with them since all the guards except one was 6'0 or below.
    ballin45
    Freshman

Post by ballin45 Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:08 am

so I guess theres no point of trying out since i play guard too and your only taking 3 guys...
    Ballhawks
    Freshman

Post by Ballhawks Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:57 am

I want to take the best available players if you were not at the try-out last night and you have confidence in your playing ability then i strongly suggest you come to the try-outs on Friday (If you are mentally strong and focused?). From the players i did not cut last night, which i cut about 6 or 7 they were all about the same level so friday will be the final evaluation.

Regarding your comment Ballin45 how many guards out of the GTA get scholarships every year? Are you going to be one of the few or just another player who is really fooling themselves.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am