HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
CoachG
Xavier Rimrocker
Crabber
7 posters

Question about Ontario basketball

Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Question about Ontario basketball Empty Question about Ontario basketball

Post by Crabber Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:34 pm

The last 3 weeks I have watched some of the top teams in tournements from British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. In those games they played 10 minute quarters and used a shot clock. Is it that way in Ontario & all of Canada.

Thank you
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Question about Ontario basketball Empty Re: Question about Ontario basketball

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am

Ontario does not use FIBA rules; there was talk at one point the reality is that, in a time of education cutbacks, OFSAA isn't going to try and impose the repaint of keys, the purchase of shot clocks, and the training of people to operate them on thousands of schools.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:24 am

Thank you.
    CoachG
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-11-10

Post by CoachG Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Supposedly the FIBA talk is being brought up again this spring.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm

My understanding is that ontario high school basketball could have a modified fiba system as early as next season. There were two proposals put to ofsaa and then sent to the athletic associations throughout the province asking for imput. These proposals both had adopting fiba rules, but the lines on the court and the shot clock were to be phased in. Rules such as 8 seconds to get the ball over half, no live game time outs and so on (it is my understanding) will be in place next year but I definitely could be jumping the gun on this.
    CoachJP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 186
    Registration date : 2010-05-05

Post by CoachJP Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 am

Toronto Board referees are preparing for a shift to FIBA rules in highschools next season, with a "phase in" period for things such as shot clocks, court markings, etc. Nothing is final yet, but the consensus among the Board is that this move is very likely to be made by next season.

Initially, it will be a change...but eventually, it will all work out. Recall a few years ago when the rule was changed to move the free throw lane players "up" one block----you rarely see that as an issue among players in games today, but it was a HUGE issue just a few short years ago when the change was made.

You will notice also that new schools have been built with shot clocks, new court markings, and other FIBA provisions in place...and have been built this way for the past 3-4 years, in anticipation of a move to FIBA in the near future.

What will likely occur is the modification for a closely guarded rule in place of a shot clock, regular court markings, and all other FIBA provisions---as would be the case in an OBA game, at a regular high school, where no shot clocks are present.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks. What about do you guys play 10 minuted quarters? But I will find out next week because I will be watching both AAA & AAAA games on Canada TV.
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Crabber are shot clocks the standard in US high schools & 10 minute quarters as well or does it differ from state to state?With all the provincial cuts in education in Ontario it would be hard to impliment the changes/the 10 minute quarters are do able but I personally like the 8 minute quarters.Also a lot of our high school programs in Ontario have a midget and junior program similar to US high school junior varsity teams that act as feeders to the senior program.We use to have bantam teams as well and some schools in the bigger centers have a B senior team.I like this as it gives more players and late bloomers a chance to play.Maybe some one with more knowledge on the high school scene can confirm if there are still bantam teams or not.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 pm

In the US I only know of 2 states, New York & Conn. with shot clocks. Their might be a few more. I dont know. as 4 10 minute quarters. I watch a lot of high school basketball on the net & I saw tournaments in B.C. Alberta & Mantoiba. They played 10 minute quarters. They do not do that in the states.
    CoachJP
    Freshman

Post by CoachJP Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Games are all 8 minute quarters. Even for OBA (Ontario equivalent of AAU/ club circuit) ball, games are 4 x 8 min quarters.

FIBA rule is 4 x 10 min, but that has been modified.

It is also a cost issue for schools---game fees go up with refs depending on length, stop time, etc. Not much per game, but huge when you multiply across school boards and cities.
    CoachVic
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by CoachVic Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Coach JP
    My limited experience suggests that actual game lengths of FIBA 4 x 8min quarters (from tip off to final whistle) are on average 10-15+ minutes shorter than a typical high school game employing NFHS rules. Will that then translate into reduced ref rates for a high school game with the proposed change towards FIBA rules? Smile
    CoachJP
    Freshman

Post by CoachJP Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm

In general, at high school levels, there is not much difference. General FIBA games are 1:05-1:20 and HS games are around the same---it depends on the game and logistics. Rules don't really make a huge time difference, moreso startegy and particular use of different rules (i.e. time outs, etc.). Where there may be more stoppages in FIBA, in HS there are other time-delays (i.e. early bonus of 7 fouls in 1st Q = rest of the half vs. it clearing per quarter in FIBA.).

Ref rates likely won't go down. They are only a dollar or two different for men's leagues with running time, depending on length of game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am