HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
ballhard41
Coach Melnik
T.DotFynest
7 posters

1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders?

T.DotFynest
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders? Empty 1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders?

Post by T.DotFynest Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Sorry I just had to point this out. I was in the bleachers for many henry carr games i i was wondering why doesnt all of the carr players play because at least five look disappointed on the end of the bench. Any inside stories on whats the reason.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders? Empty Re: 1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders?

Post by Coach Melnik Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Here is the inside story...when the rotation is 12 deep, and the bench is 17 deep..5 arent going to play much...just a reality. The bench could be 12 deep, and all 12 would play.

Coach Melnik
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders? Empty Re: 1 Question For the Henry Carr Crusaders?

Post by ballhard41 Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:39 pm

ye but coach when yu r beating teams by 70 in league you shud let those mans get some pt
    T.DotFynest
    Freshman

Post by T.DotFynest Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:06 pm

So coach y dont u think of cutting people if you know your not going to play them. They could be playing on other teams, their talent could be going to waste on the bench.
    T.DotFynest
    Freshman

Post by T.DotFynest Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Honestly Coach Melnik you are a great coach you know how to get the job done when its time to get it done. The only thing is that wasting these kids time while they warm the bench infront of their home crowd really looks bad on their part. People will start to "roast" and he can really make them feel down on themselves.
    RealTalksz
    Freshman

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-09-17

Post by RealTalksz Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Eventhough they are sitting on the bench they do get to practise with one of the most elite teams in the city and if they are practising with of one the most elite teams im pretty sure they will develope to be better and smarter players when playing in the future.. and if they really dont get no PT and they know it im pretty sure they would switch out of schools like some Henry Carr players have..
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Many coaches would chose the option of a smaller squad. Coach Melnik is providing those players with an opportunity to be part of something, improve their skills, and develop life skills.

Everyone can make their own decisions. If someone is "roasting," they can choose to walk away from the team. By choosing to stay on the squad, those bench players are improving their school experience.

T.DotFynest: have you asked these players how they feel? Are you at practice when Coach Melnik and his assistants provide them with feedback so they can get better? Knowing Coach, I am sure that there is enough compliments to boost their confidence despite their lack of minutes. This could be a great experience for a Grade 11 student who could develop work habits this year in order to contribute next year.

In my mind, anyone who is working hard and improving every day is in a better position than those who watch and comment from the sidelines.

Speaking generally, some students need the excitement of basketball practice to become motivated to attend school. If extra-curriculars help a kid keep their marks high, it's worth it, irrespective of their role on the team.

Who knows how the season will unfold? Any high school player could be called upon and have a chance to shine.

Last edited by twoneedles on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:37 pm

It is so irritating when people come on here and try to tell a coach(and a very good one at that) what he should do. If the kids don't like the 12 man rotation, the door's always open for them to walk. Obviously, you can only play 5 players at once.
    Let me get this straight! You start off by saying how disappointed the 5 players at the end of the bench look and then feel the need to ask for the inside reason for this? It amazes me that you make this out to be this big problematic situation that needs to be addressed while questioning the coaching philosophies and character. He doesn't deserve this at all.
    Your point regarding that they could be playing on other teams if he cuts them makes no sense. The only other team they could play on if they got cut would be an intramural team unless they transferred and that would only be available the following year.
    How can you say he is wasting these kids time? If they are players 13 through 17, then they are getting a positive experience in being a part of a very strong program with a great coach and are lucky to be there. On top of this, it is unfair for you to point out that coach would possibly be responsible for the kids being down on themselves. The fact that he keeps 17 players is more than almost all of us coaches do. For me, 15 is the maximum.
    When you make a team, most coaches make it clear what role you will have in regards to the team. I am quite sure Coach Melnik did this. It is the business of the coach and the player and coach is not obligated to make decisions based on the players feelings. This is not gym class. Everybody doesn't get equal playing time. It is impossible to please 17 players.
    It seems to me that you are one of the supposed 5 unhappy players or a friend of one of them. Regardless, this was a very unfair post about Coach Melnik.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 am

This is actually a great question, and many young players can learn from it. I am brutally honest with my team. Carrying 17 players is troublesome. Each player knows their status in terms of playing time, they were all warned that it would be very difficult to play 17 players in most games, they were all warned that it might be hard to take, and they were all warned that any type of poor attitude wouldnt be tolerated. They were all reminded that I am not carrying 17 players for my sake. In fact, one has already been suspended for not being able to "handle" his status. Another is on the verge of the same.

This is competitive high school sports at an elite level. As long as coaches are honest with their teams, and players are honest with themselves, then it can work out. However, as many have said, you have to make decisions for yourself...accept your status, work hard in practice, or quit the team.

In actual fact, I think we are doing a wonderful job distributing playing time. It isnt easy, and I knew it wouldnt be. I accept that, so should everyone else.

Lastly, we have been in the weight room Wednesday and Thursday, if you werent there, then expect to be sitting for a little while.

Coach Melnik
    Coach Mauro
    Freshman

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2009-04-28

Post by Coach Mauro Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Paul;
    All I can say is keep up the good work. Obviously, dont listen to the detractors.

Mauro

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:56 pm