HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+10
Diem
guesswho
isitjusme
underdog123
coachetob
tart11
00_Tahiri
coachgeo
Shamir_Bell*22
coachjoe
14 posters

Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team

coachjoe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2009-09-11

Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team Empty Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team

Post by coachjoe Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Greetings High School Basketball Players, Coaches, Parents and Fans! Basketball

I am pleased to offer an ongoing thread that will be updated weekly in regard to the Richview Saints Junior Boys basketball team. The purpose? To offer some recognition for the local players representing our community school in Central Etobicoke. Richview's known more for football and baseball success (anyone hear of Joey Votto?), not to mention a certain Prime Minister! But we are building an increasingly competitive basketball program too, with almost exclusively "home-grown" talent!

Congratulations to the following players who will represent the Richview Saints Junior Boys team for the 2010-11 season:

Grade 9: Nikola Brcic, Max Ciarmela, Tamar Gayle, Rasheed Gillis, Shamar Haye, Paul Ko, Caleb Michalski, Jim Shi, Romas Simkus, Steven Wolwyn

Grade 10: Jerome Brown, Daniel Gyan, Chris Heim, Phil Heim, Michael Nham, Ivan Radovic, Fazel Tahiri, Travis Thompson

We won our season opener on Nov. 30, 60-40, against Runnymede. Caleb Michalski led the charge with 19 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and 6 steals. Tamar Gayle had 15 points and 5 rebounds, while Rasheed Gillis added 15 points and 4 rebounds. Jim Shi and Phil Heim both provided excellent defence and strong rebounding as well. The boys’ next game will be on Monday, Dec. 6 at Silverthorn. Go Saints! -Coach Joe
    Shamir_Bell*22
    Shamir_Bell*22
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team Empty Re: Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team

Post by Shamir_Bell*22 Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Why are you lying?, you guys only won by like 15 points and Tamar and Rasheed got shut down the only one that did good was # 33. I crossed # 5 on Richview a lot he has no defense and we didn't have our best player and half our team are Grade 9's Including me.
    coachgeo
    coachgeo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2010-11-18

Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team Empty Re: Richview Saints Junior Boys Basketball Team

Post by coachgeo Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:25 pm

First, let's get the score correct - although a moot point - it was 59-42. Richview won and Runnymede lost ... 'cus in the game of basketball all that matters is the score!
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Greetings. Interesting reactions. Personally, I think a lot more matters than the score. That said, in reviewing the game film, the evidence indicates a final score of 60-40. Yet in reviewing the official game sheet, the scorekeepers (students) recorded the game as 59-42. Thus, technically, Richview won by only 17 points and not by 20 points. Therefore, let's agree that the official final score was 59-42, since that's what will be entered into the record book.

Second, the point is not to disrespect Runnymede (which has some fine players), but rather to recognize the accomplishments of Richview. That's why we had our players drop back to behind half court as the lead grew to 25 points in the second half (53-28) and we played our third-string players for most of the final period. I do not believe in running up the score. I'd rather play all 14 players on the team for a minimum of one quarter each (which I did) rather than the starters the entire game. That way everyone gets a chance to contribute and to develop.

Speaking of development, we dressed nine grade 9 players and only five grade 10 players. We're hoping to continue to build a strong, vibrant basketball program at Richview. I fully expect that we will win some games, and that we will lose other games. There are several excellent programs stacked with many elite rep players that we would have a difficult time beating. I applaud those programs and players and wish them well. As stated, the purpose here is simply to give a little "shine" to the young men playing for Richview and to promote the RCI program.

In closing, I've always thought it's a waste of time and energy to criticize other programs or to "dis" specific players, but that's part of our culture (just like smoking, violence, and crime). But that doesn't mean we have to participate in those parts of the culture. I don't know how much time I have left, but I'd rather use every precious minute I have focusing on the positives and building others up in this world, both on and off the basketball court. To that end, I'd like to wish you great success both in basketball and in school Shamir, along with the rest of the Runnymede players!

-Coach Joe
    00_Tahiri
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-12-06

Post by 00_Tahiri Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Shamir_Bell*22 wrote:Why are you lying?, you guys only won by like 15 points and Tamar and Rasheed got shut down the only one that did good was # 33. I crossed # 5 on Richview a lot he has no defense and we didn't have our best player and half our team are Grade 9's Including me.

As Coach Joe has already stated - 9 Grade nine players on Richview and 5 Grade tens dressed (more than half our team are ninth graders), along with the fact that we got just about everyone in the game and were also missing two potential starters against Runnymede.

Richview will always respect it's opponents and never deliberately run the score on any team and so, we deserve the respect of all others... Please don't call our coach a liar and criticize our captain's defense, it makes you, your team and your school look bad.

Disregarding all of that.. the scoreboard showed that Richview won the game. Any team can come up with an excuse as to why they lost but in the end - It's what's on the scoreboard that counts.

Faisal Tahiri (#00)
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:25 pm

great post and signed your name...I like it

coachetob
    Freshman

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2009-10-29

Post by coachetob Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:19 pm

easily the most mature post I have read on hooptown. Well written. Coach be proud of this player, and what you mean to him.
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks players and coaches. Regardless of the W's and L's along the way, we can all set goals and strive for excellence. I know many outstanding coaches across the GTA who believe in their players, their programs, and their communities. We're all trying to make a positive difference, so let's continue at every opportunity!

Our Richview Junior Boys team won their second game against Silverthorn today, 81-51. We played well as a team, with nine of our fourteen players ending up with points. But can you have a great game even without scoring? Absolutely, as Max Ciarmela proved with his incredibly well-rounded, unselfish play! Max only shot the ball once, but grabbed 7 rebounds to go along with 3 steals, 2 assists, one block - and his continual efforts to contribute to the team in any way he could. Faisal Tahiri played just such a game as well, but with a steady shooting stroke (10 points, on 5 of 6 shooting) and 5 rebounds. Tamar Gayle had a double-double in points and rebounds, Phil Heim had a strong all-around game, and Nikola Brcic played flawless basketball in roughly 8 minutes: he did not miss from the field or free throw line, grabbed 3 rebounds, kept his man from scoring, and passed to the open man for outlets and in the half-court set.

The players of the game, though, were Kaynan Karshe for Silverthorn with 20 points, and Caleb Michalski for Richview, who shot 13-18 from the field and ended up with 33 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals. Great job Kaynan and Caleb! -Coach Joe
    Shamir_Bell*22
    Shamir_Bell*22
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

Post by Shamir_Bell*22 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Alright thats all i wanted to say because I know we didn't lose by 20 points and im not going to lie you have some pretty good players and they had a good game and I look forward to facing your group of kids again.
    underdog123
    Freshman

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2009-11-14

Post by underdog123 Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:38 pm

how do you record ur players TOTAL stats and coach them at the same time? because i know that the people at the scoreboard table only record the points score and foul lol

ps: don't write me a essay coach joe
    isitjusme
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2010-12-09

Post by isitjusme Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:15 pm

underdog123 wrote:how do you record ur players TOTAL stats and coach them at the same time? because i know that the people at the scoreboard table only record the points score and foul lol

ps: don't write me a essay coach joe
    he can easily have managers (volunteer students) doing the stats keeping on their bench most teams do it
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:43 pm

We videotape every game. -Coach Joe

(Don't need an essay for simple queries!)
    guesswho
    guesswho
    Freshman

Number of posts : 123
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by guesswho Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm

[quote="underdog123"]how do you record ur players TOTAL stats and coach them at the same time? because i know that the people at the scoreboard table only record the points score and foul lol

ps: don't write me a essay coach joe[/quote]

underdog123, firstly let me say that players at highschool level appreciate the time a coach takes to know all their stats, not just the points on the board. Most coaches tape evey game anyway as to review what went right and what went wrong. As the previous poster mention there are volunteers to help a coach keep these vitals and more importantly a player who wants to get or try to get a scholarship and has the academics behind them to university via basketball would need to know all this info......do you not agree? Football and Hockey has been doing it for years so what is your problem. Before you decide to make statements, try thinking first.

Kudos to Coach Joe for creating a forum for his players ............others that reply keep it positive.

underdog123 the only lol here is you..............perhaps you would benefit from having such a coach. Actually I had to go and review a post to joe from Midget. This is the same person that had nearly 100 yes 100 players try out for a D1 spot for his oba/aau teamn for EBA word is only 12 rose to the top does he care, does he take time to know his players it seems so. Must be something there...............like I said maybe you could benefit...........

so no essay from Coach Joe.................just from me

Coach Joe keep moving on.............all posts will be positive............go RICHVIEW
    guesswho
    guesswho
    Freshman

Number of posts : 123
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by guesswho Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Coach Joe, I would like to add my kudos to your player " Faisal Tahiri (#00)."
    who had the maturity to post in a respectful way and give his name and number to what he felt was an injustice....................it speaks volumes to you as a coach and how your players admire and respect you. On this forum hooptown there is alot of boasting and dissing going on from rep teams to highschool to individual players themselves........the sad thing is they do not get it, Alot of us are not novices we watch, we know and study. Those of us would rather have a "team player " quiet unreserved and doing his job than a big mouth or a one manshow who can say I put up x# of points at the cost of his team. Doesn't work but you know that.......there is trust in you from your players .............keep the good vibe going...........................
    Basketball
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Guesswho. I think most share your/our views as well. I've seen too many great coaches, players, and parents over the years to get caught up in the "dissing" game. I'd much rather find what's great in a young player or what s/he can contribute than focus on the negatives. I truly believe that everyone has something special to offer, even if s/he isn't the gifted athlete or "star" on the team.

In turn, I think that part of the problem is that too many young men and women have not had the proper support and encouragement from their coaches and/or parents. We then pay the price when they "act out" or even lash out verbally or otherwise. I understand why some people (including some I've coached!) promote the negative and, at times, even "hateful" attitudes out there. Someone on the forum recently wrote something like "haters gonna hate." That's probably true in many cases. I just hope that we can help them turn their lives around through constant encouragement, by giving them opportunities to succeed, and by being there for them -- especially when they stumble.

Not every kid responds, or "takes in" what we have to offer, but most do. Take heart coaches, for in my 30 years of coaching, I've come to the conclusion that most young people really are listening and really are trying. Just as we try to impress upon our players the importance of never taking a "play off" while on the floor, we can never take a "day off" either from caring about these youngsters. We have to show them through our words and deeds. And when we screw up? We have to show them that we're capable of apologizing, accepting responsibility, and making amends. We then start again each season doing our best not simply to forge winning basketball teams (though that's clearly a goal in competitive sports), but to make a real difference in the lives of these youngsters whom we're privileged to serve. That's the one place where we can almost always be "winners" -- if we're committed to the challenge. Thankfully, most of the people I know out there share that commitment. Let's all keep the positive vibe going and growing!

Yours in basketball, -Coach Joe (EBA, Richview Collegiate)

Joe Michalski, President
    Etobicoke Basketball Association
    www.etobicokebasketball.com
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Greetings Basketball Community. The Richview Saints participated in the Hoop It Up tournament on Thursday, where we won once and lost twice. In our lone victory, two equally scrappy teams battled for 32 minutes, with Richview prevailing over Don Bosco. Tamar Gayle had a huge game, with 36 points and 16 rebounds. Caleb Michalski chipped in 19 points, 5 assists, 5 steals, and 5 rebounds. Tristan St. Louis had a team-high 17 points for Don Bosco.

In our next game, we had our first chance to play one of the truly elite teams in the GTA: Downsview. Led by great players such as Kemar McKnight and Junior Asamoah, as well as a slate of other talented "bigs," Downsview won handily by a score of 73-38. The top teams such as Henry Carr, Vaughan, Downsview, and Martingrove (among others) should have some epic battles on the hardwood this season!

Richview played Xavier in our third game, where we fell 49-42. In addition to strong games from Caleb and Tamar, Ivan Radovic and Jim Shi both played their best games of the young season and contributed mightily to helping our team fight back from 15 points down to a 47-42 deficit with one minute to play. At that point, Caleb found Tamar cutting across the lane and we were excited to think that his floater had just cut the lead to 3 points -- only to learn that the referee had signalled travelling. Still, we played well against a talented, well-coached, and disciplined Xavier squad. Great job everyone!
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Seasons Greetings! Richview defeated George Harvey 69-49 in our last game before the holiday break. Tamar Gayle scored 20 points and had 5 steals, while Caleb Michalski posted 19 points, 8 steals, and 5 assists. Ivan Radovic and Faisal Tahiri both provided excellent long-ball shooting, hitting a combined 67% from beyond the 3-point arc. Ivan pulled down 10 rebounds as well. Jerome Brown had his best game of the season, hitting all his shots and grabbing 3 rebounds. Trayvon Brady (#12) played well for GHCI, as did Amak (#14).

Happy Holidays! santa -Coach Joe
    Diem
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-12-24

Post by Diem Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:45 am

Coach Joe, are you planning on posting the results of your game against Vaughn Road Academy?
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:22 am

Greetings Diem - my apologies! Coaching four different teams (and, yes, holding a regular full-time job and running the EBA!), I have not been posting on every game for every team. Someone pointed out that I had not posted the George Harvey results, so I did that late; and now the delayed results of the Vaughan Road Academy-Richview tilt. So, let's make it a good one!

Vaughan Road Academy and Richview met on the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's untimely death, with VRA posting a convincing 75-44 win to deal Richview their only defeat in league play. Vaughan Road was led by a trio of outstanding players: Lance Rodrigues, Kaleel Faiz, and Kyle Shallow who combined for 55 points in total. Caleb and Tamar lead the Richview attack, while Ivan Radovic and Jim Shi had solid all-around games as well. VRA has an extremely talented junior team that will be a real force at OFSAA. Congratulations to VRA and their program!

At the break, Vaughan Road Academy remains undefeated in the West Region South (4-0), while Martingrove Collegiate has a parallel record in the West Region North division. These will be the two teams that every school in the region will have to contend with -- and both have several strong players filling out their rosters.

Once again, may we all "give peace a chance" - and enjoy a wonderful holiday break. See you "on the courts" in the new year!

-Coach Joe Basketball
    underdog123
    Freshman

Post by underdog123 Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:40 pm

So far it looks like the 1st spot is going to Runnymede Richview or Vaughn.
    what do you have to say for that coach Joe any predictions?
    basketball IQ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by basketball IQ Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Coach Joe

Seems like Richview is getting back on track, but have your hands full tomorrow against Vaughan in the Rim Rocker tournament..... Good luck, it seems Richview can place 2nd in the pool
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi all - and thanks. First, I agree with you underdog123, though I'd give the edge to Vaughan Road. Unless someone can put together an outstanding game and knock them off, VRA has the inside track to finish first in the West Region South division.

I agree too with Basketball IQ: Richview has a really tough draw, starting with Vaughan tomorrow and their extremely talented team. We then follow up with two more difficult games against St. Edmund Campion and WF Herman from Windsor.

More than anything, I think it's important to play against the top teams in order to improve. That's our main goal at this point. We may take some real lumps along the way (and already have!), but if we can learn to compete against the top schools, we will develop a stronger basketball program over the long term.

With kind regards, -Coach Joe
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm

coachjoe wrote:Richview has a really tough draw, starting with Vaughan tomorrow and their extremely talented team. We then follow up with two more difficult games against St. Edmund Campion and WF Herman from Windsor.

Is there such a thing as an easy draw at the Rimrocker?
    coachjoe
    Freshman

Post by coachjoe Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Agreed! There are many strong teams coming from several different regions, which makes any draw a challenge. We definitely have three excellent teams to compete against over the next two days in Vaughan, Campion, and Herman!
    underdog123
    Freshman

Post by underdog123 Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm

coach joe
    what schools are participating to the Richview invitationals next week on the 8th and 9th?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm