HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships

coachmci
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-12-13

All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships Empty All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships

Post by coachmci Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Without getting too excited, I would like to revisit the idea of a Junior Championships that mirrors the OFSAA championships. I have contacted a couple schools in the area for locations for the site of games. The downside is that all games will be played at local highschools for the time being, I don't see this as a big deal in its first year(s). The idea I am persuing is offering the 16 spots to all the major board champions. In order for this to happen, I would like to hear from coaches over the next month or two who feel they are legitmate contenders in thier boards who would either be interested, or NOT interested.

The format will follow that of the OFSAA championships, and guarantee each team 3 games. Medals for GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE and CONSOLATION.

What will it need to get off the ground:
    1) 16 champions or finalists (if the champions do not want to commit)
    2) A group of coaches to help seed the teams
    3) Input over the next month or two from coaches to my personal email account
    ronald.simpson@tdsb.on.ca
    4) Input from others on this public forum. Note: if you are not a coach, please use the public forum, not my personal email account.

Hopefully this idea as we revisit it, falls on interested coaches and ears, rather than Nay-sayers.

The possible dates:
    Week before OFSAA championships, or the first week back following OFSAA championships.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships Empty Re: All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:46 pm

coachmci wrote:The possible dates:
    Week before OFSAA championships, or the first week back following OFSAA championships.

I don't know about other regions but the ROPSSAA playoffs are March 1 (QF), March 5 (SF) and March 7 (Final) so the week before OFSAA would mean the top 8 teams would be unavailable.
    coachmci
    Freshman

All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships Empty Re: All Ontario Junior Shoot Out Championships

Post by coachmci Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Xavier Rimrocker wrote:
    coachmci wrote:The possible dates:

I don't know about other regions but the ROPSSAA playoffs are March 1 (QF), March 5 (SF) and March 7 (Final) so the week before OFSAA would mean the top 8 teams would be unavailable.

Well I would like to extend this to as many top teams/champions as possible. So this means the tournament will take place after the march 7th final. At least two committed sites have said they are open to making the dates work. Thank you for the update and keep the information flowing, I would like to make every effort to make this work.
    GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2011-11-21

Post by GTA_Fan Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm

1.why don't you just have the tournament somewhere at the beginning of April, in order to avoid other teams with conflicting schedules, as Xavier Rimrocker as stated above the post.

2. There are 18 different regions in Ontario by OFSAA, so how will you 16 teams (assume 1 team for each OFSAA member) in the tournament when it has 18 OFSAA members (regions) in Ontario, unless 4 different school regional champions will battle off in a championship qualifier to earn the 2 spots.
    coachmci
    Freshman

Post by coachmci Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm

I think April could be too late, but later in march obviously is an option. Everyone's input will be taken into account as the planning stages take flight. If 18 teams Are well represented it can be considered, this will require coaches interested to help contact me, as I do not have each team in contentions email contact. But thank you for the suggestion. Keep it coming.
    coachmci
    Freshman

Post by coachmci Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 am

We have secured 3 sites for participation now, which would allow us to make this happen from that point. We are looking at Wednesday, March 21st as a possible play-in date for 4 teams. (depending on the format). The actual tournament would be Thursday March 22nd-Saturday March 24th.

Does this cover each regional championship/playoff?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:24 pm

To be honest, you won't get representation from all 18 regions. Schools from NW and NE Ontario (outside of Timmins SS) travel very little to the south as it is and, due to their smaller enrollments, aren't going to have a lot of extra money budgeted for this tournament.

As it is not an OFSAA event, many teams will have to pay for it out of their own team budget, rather than being able to use the school's general athletic budget so I don't think you need to worry about having to accommodate all 18 regions.

More than likely, you will need to add multiple qualifiers from some regions just to field 16 teams.

I would also suggest making it a 2 or 2 1/2 day event at the most, rather than 3 days and a play in day. Not only is time away from class an issue but so are hotel costs for any teams from outside of reasonable day-trip driving distance.

Contact me at xavier-rimrocker@hotmail.com for some other scheduling suggestions.
    coachmci
    Freshman

Post by coachmci Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

I will email you with some of my thoughts and your suggestions, thanks. Aside from the play in, I was thinking max 2 1/2 days. I also figured that with it being the first year, it would likely need to be filled with multiple entries from some regions. But wanted to be open to any and all hopeful champions first.
    coachmci
    Freshman

Post by coachmci Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm

For interested parties, the locations secured are Martingrove Ci, richview Ci, and Emery.
    ababasketballcanada
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2011-05-17

Post by ababasketballcanada Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:09 pm

coachmci,
    where can I contact you to discuss details about the All-Ont Jr Championship?
    coachmci
    Freshman

Post by coachmci Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:25 pm

ababasketballcanada wrote:coachmci,
    where can I contact you to discuss details about the All-Ont Jr Championship?

Email me at Ronald.simpson@tdsb.on.ca I would be glad to share some details

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 am