HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
bearscoach
ballhard41
acie earl 55
outside_stinga
Xavier Rimrocker
Airborne1994
10 posters

Eligibility

Airborne1994
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Eligibility Empty Eligibility

Post by Airborne1994 Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:24 pm

I know if you where to switch schools in september you would have to sit out a year what if you were to leave at the start of second semester would i be eligible to play the next year ? please help
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Eligibility Empty Re: Eligibility

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:11 pm

You will have to sit out a year unless you moved, with your legal guardian(s), from your old school's zone to the new school's zone; you didn't play for your school team this year (league, exhibition, or tournament); or your school closed and it was the next closest school. (There are exceptions in some regions for juniors or for non-OFSAA or playoff competition.)

If you change schools at the start of second semester, you would have to sit out 12 months but, by that point, you would be ineligible to play second semester in most leagues due to transfer application deadlines or roster inclusion rules.
    Airborne1994
    Freshman

Post by Airborne1994 Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:02 pm

what is the point in this rule ? how are people like me going to get noticed playing at a horrible school for when we have a better chance of getting looks at a better school. Is there any other possible way i could transfer to the school i wanted to and play there next year i live closer to that school then the school i currently go to ? or am i screwed for the rest of high school
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Can I ask why you are attending a school further away then the school you "now" prefer to attend. Wasn't that your home school in the beginning?
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Pangos played at Denison - not a powerhouse school for basketball. He did ok. He put in his work, played OBA - and there you go.

Lots of guys get noticed without having strong high school teams - even playing Tier Two. Honestly, if you're not one of the top ten (maybe 20) GTA players, no one is coming up to notice you during the high school season. They'll see you in the spring and summer during AAU if you're worth a peak.

Or you can go down to prep school in the Carolinas. So long as you like eating Mr. Noodles - you can go places!
    Airborne1994
    Freshman

Post by Airborne1994 Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:22 pm

outside_stinga wrote:Can I ask why you are attending a school further away then the school you "now" prefer to attend. Wasn't that your home school in the beginning?
    the school i want to go to is a catholic school they didnt take any students from public schools, also teams like us dont go to any of the really big tournaments which the good teams in the super 16 i dont think we should have to sit out a year if students want to be apart of a good basketball program because some schools like mine really dont care about the basketball programs i dont think its fair that we should have to sit out a whole year just because students like me decide they want to go to a school where they actually take there basketball serious the only thing i have is oba and aau because people dont come out or talk about the bad schools we only duscuss the great schools with good basketball programs that go to big tournaments where people actually go so they could easily make a name for themself
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Catholic schools cannot refuse public students who live in their boundaries. Students can only be turned away if they are a capped school and have reached their cap through registrations for the next year. Even then, they cannot turn away non-Catholics only.

The current rules only affect students transferring after entering high school. If a student goes to a school with open boundaries straight out of grade 8, they can attend any school they want without sitting out, with the exception of Peel schools. (Even those schools make exceptions for regional programs, students who have older siblings at the school, and special appeals based on non-athletic reasons.)

As others have mentioned, the majority of scouting takes place at OBA and AAU competitions. There are no border limits for those programs so the best players are free to choose the program that best suits them. High school athletics are not designed primarily as a venue for elite athletes to gain notice with scouts. In most sports, scouts have stopped focusing on high school competition and instead focus on elite club level competition.
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:56 am

Keep in mind if you plan on transfering to a powerhouse school even if you are inelgible you can play in tournaments during the year just not league games and OFSAA, I know alot of players on the Eastern Commerce, St. Martin's, and Vaughan Road rosters are inelgible but still play in tournaments

bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 am

If you are any good, they will find you, whether you attend a good b-ball school or a poor one. The Rocker is right. If you perform well, scouts will come to see you at OBA or AAU. In forty-two years of coaching B-Ball and with quite a few good players, I have had one US coach come to watch one of my players ONCE at a High School game. He came back three times to watch her OBA games because the competition is so much better. Not many coaches want to come to see Eastern or Father Henry Carr blow out some poor team by 75. Also, it is a long way to come to see one game. At OBA or AAU tournaments, they come for a weekend and see many players and many games.
    The other thing to remember is that if you transfer to one of these powerhouses, you better be good enough to start or no one will ever see you.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Aren`t university coaches and scouts only allowed to talk to players as they play for their high school. Can they approach players at OBA.

One good reason to transfer to a baskeball school, if your good enough to play, is their ability to train, practise, and improve year round.
    Airborne1994
    Freshman

Post by Airborne1994 Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Mu2 wrote:Aren`t university coaches and scouts only allowed to talk to players as they play for their high school. Can they approach players at OBA.

One good reason to transfer to a baskeball school, if your good enough to play, is their ability to train, practise, and improve year round.

EXACTLY ! i dont think scouts can approach you at oba's someone said in the comments even if you are inelgible you can play in tournaments during the year just not league games and OFSAA wouldn't that be better ? then no one really hypes over league games
    CoachSmith
    Freshman

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2011-09-09

Post by CoachSmith Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Airborne,

It all depends on why you are transferring. There are exceptions, but all documentation is needed. In the TDSB you can transfer and still play in league, but not playoffs. This is section G! It should be taken out, but for some reason they will not. You could technically take a whole team of transfers from one school and play them the following year at another school. Peel does a great job in stopping this transfer problem.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Airborne1994 wrote:
    Mu2 wrote:Aren`t university coaches and scouts only allowed to talk to players as they play for their high school. Can they approach players at OBA.

EXACTLY ! i dont think scouts can approach you at oba's someone said in the comments

Just because it's said doesn't mean it's true. I have seen plenty of scouts talk to players at OBA events. That's just an excuse. If playing for a top team is that important, and you're actually good enough to get playing time, then transfer and sit out a season. You can still play tournaments in most regions and you get a 5th year of high school eligibility if sitting out the year really hurts you that much.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 pm

I agree with Peel Fan. Lots of recruiting takes place at OBA games.
    As I said before, if a player is very good, scouts will be relentless to get him to go to their school.
    There are many ways to get around the rules.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

I talked to a very respected scout who works with both CIS and NCAA programs, among other leagues. He says there are no OBA restrictions on scouts and coaches. The only restrictions are those placed by the NCAA on their own programs and those restrictions apply to both high school and club scouting.
    Airborne1994
    Freshman

Post by Airborne1994 Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

okay, so would yall suggest to leave second semester leave the next year or stay at the school ?
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes
    dak1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by dak1 Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 pm

[quote="ballhard41"]Keep in mind if you plan on transfering to a powerhouse school even if you are inelgible you can play in tournaments during the year just not league games and OFSAA, I know alot of players on the Eastern Commerce, St. Martin's, and Vaughan Road rosters are inelgible but still play in tournaments

[/quote]

I don't believe that this is the case in all regions. My understanding of things in York Region is that if you are eligible you are eligible. If you are not eligible, you are not to play in any tournament that takes place in York Region or in any OFSAA sanctioned tournament.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:11 am