HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+29
RealBall
coachphillips
outside_stinga
radio
up3
theherd
btownfan
CoachG
ThaIceman
ballhard41
dbet
Xavier Rimrocker
Youngblood
slamdunk
HamiltonBall
Mu2
nomullies
dak1
Crabber
GTA_Fan
Bballer9
bigred
GTA observer
thewayIseeit
old dog
actionjackson
acie earl 55
Coach Clement
tart11
33 posters

Truth about prep school finally revealed?

tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Truth about prep school finally revealed? Empty Truth about prep school finally revealed?

Post by tart11 Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Friday March 2nd, 9pm on CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/

tart11
    Senior

Truth about prep school finally revealed? Empty Re: Truth about prep school finally revealed?

Post by tart11 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Is anyone watching this?

Is this the end of Ro Russell? Finally, the other side reveals what many people have been saying about US prep schools.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Truth about prep school finally revealed? Empty Re: Truth about prep school finally revealed?

Post by Coach Clement Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 pm

A scathing indictment to say the least!
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 pm

And in other related news, it has been just proven that cigarettes are bad for you.
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Post by acie earl 55 Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Wait I meant faith academy cigarettes, not faith center academy cigarettes. At least it wasn't a Center vs Centre issue, because that would have been incredible.

As much as there was a focus on one program, that doesn't mean the other institutions shouldnt be looked at seriously. Programs like Raptorball, MUMBA and school powerhouses like Crawford Academy watch out. The Mothercorp is coming after you next!
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:26 am

I didn't get to see it, does anyone have a link?

Was there anything new to the story? Amost everything has been discussed here on HooptownGTA.
    Who needs the Fifth Estate? They're late!

I'm not going to comment without seeing it, but that creepy looking guy on the Fifth Estate usually goes on a witch hunt.
    old dog
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by old dog Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:40 am

There are parents of 11 year olds being sold a dream and they are not familar with the basketball scene. The Fifth Estate doing this piece will help to get more information to people. Absent from their piece was coaches speaking against Grassroots and other organizations.
    thewayIseeit
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by thewayIseeit Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 am

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Basketball/1237621953/ID=2204620300
    GTA observer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2012-03-03

Truth about prep school finally revealed? Empty Repeat of show!

Post by GTA observer Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

The show is repeating tonight on channel 26 rogers cable either 7 or 8 p.m. It is also repeating tomorrow night at 11:00 p.m. on channel 6 rogers CBC
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 pm

It the whole idea of be aware of what you are getting yourself into. Parents need to understand that these prep schools are there to make money. They tell every kid they recruit the same thing. The more kids you have under your umbrella, the more likely one of them will make it big and help you out later on.

The show clearly showed that Ro Russell had kids under his supervision that did not attend class on a full time basis, where unsupervised, over an hour away from where they were supposed to be. It is a clear warning, that if you send your kid down south, be prepared for whatever occurs. The show showed 2 cases where things can go wrong and there is no one there to help out, explain or pick up the pieces. The 2 case were Brayden Anderson who lost his scholarship to Kansas because Ro screwed up his eligibility and Theo Davis, who received so much attention that he couldn't handle the pressure. The most obvious sign of concern was when Ro Russell admitted that he charged every kid $11 000 to attend his private academy and NOT AN ACTUAL SCHOOL. That means he collected about $130 000 from poor families just so kids can play basketball. Then he gave them transcripts. As well, his prep school is under NCAA investigation/probation for academic violations. Don't get me wrong he did train them well, but he also recruits the best, lets be honest he doesn't develop chicken crap into chicken salad.

We know the success stories: Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph.

It is about time someone talked about the failed dreams of young men, and what their life is like after all the hype is gone.

Bottom line after watching that, and you are a parent. ARE YOU COMFORTABLE sending your 15 year old son down by himself to be taken care by an adult who is motivated by making a profit?

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Is there criminal liability in any of this?

Certainly it appears there was misleading insofar as the educational aspect was concerned and the circumstances under which these kids lived were appalling!

Surely parents didn't knowingly send their kids to live under those conditions.
    bigred
    Freshman

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2009-11-09

Post by bigred Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 pm

This is not really the forum for this but whocares,let me start off by saying Ro Russell is not my friend and i could careless the light just shine on Ro but what about all the other thieves/Scammers that promise a lot.
    Examples Whats up with Rep basketball charging $800- $900 for 2 or 3 tournaments on top of all the fund rasing.In fact how much fund rasing do you want.
    Whats up with building a basketball team with superstars but only playing your favorites there are some teams waiting to crash and burn.
    Maybe someone should shine a light on Reda or Phase1 program.

No one seem to tell the truth In the documentary Wiggins was in the photo with the players complaining so if Wiggins Dad who is Well respected know about it how come he did not spil the beans so other parents could be inform instead they left Grassroots and run to Bounce.

Whats up with all the clinics Promising so much only to find out you get nothing for the money .Spring break coming many clinics will be advertising soon.

Whats up with the parent selling her house to send her son to prep school unless your son is Lebron or Kobe you are a dumbass.

Sometimes a light have to go on in your head if someone promise your kid prep school and say we did not get the correct papers to attend US school but cross the border saying you attending a camp.For $20,000 minus the scholarship you should of gotten off your butt and get proper information before you send your 16 yr old away.

News flash you need an education which helps you get scholarships and to Division1 schools so if you not attending classes what do you expect online course lmao that is like taking your brother or sister as an Translator cheating going on. As parents you should be ashame of your kids,Ro is not to be blame for your kid jumping over balcony or taking the mattress and sliding down the steps. Dont tell me about supervision if you cant trust your kid to be responsible then you have no reason sendng a 16yr old away.

I look at LIN from New York and i am very happy for this kid that never give up it is a slap in all you coaches faces who only look at the guy that scores 20 -30 points but that is it. Many of you coaches right here in Toronto are the same a lot of good players pass through your hands and you did nothing to help them other that take the parents money.

Whats up with having a try out charging $20-$25 and you already have your team.

Fifth Estate only did Grassroots and Ro ,now they need to focus on the other organisation.

The bottom line is PARENTS it is not your dream it is your kids so act as parents and do your home work and stop blaming everyone for your mistakes.

Excuse my grammar and spelling more to come.
    Bballer9
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Bballer9 Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 pm

did anybody notice that andrew wiggins also attended the school where Ro Russell coached?
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Bigred, I stood up and clapped as I read your post! You are bang on!
    You are 100% right about the parents.

I think some of those parents need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves "what was I thinking?"

If it was the dream of the NBA... no NBA prospect pays for anything.
    If it was a college education via a scholorship.... save your 11k and just pay for the college education.

acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Post by acie earl 55 Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 pm

For those who are new to this type of subject, be ready for this post to come down. It is great dialogue, but Ro and Grassroots is not happy to have these accusations come online. Rick will respectively remove the entire thread, which is the professionally responsible thing to do.

I hope when this post goes off, some of the conversation can continue in a new thread talking more of the issue than lashing out only at Ro.

This isn't in defense of him, it is just the nature of what's going to happen.

But, to think he's the only shady character on either side of the border is small minded. Parents and students fully know what's happening and the cries of innocence should be taken in stride. We wouldn't be hearing anything if Anderson got his scholly.

As for Wiggins, don't you find it interesting that his cousin Xavier who he is so close with went down to NC in year two? People talk, players know, and they're using his connections and trying to play the game of playing the game.

It is all business, just ask them at Bounce or Phase1
    bigred
    Freshman

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2009-11-09

Post by bigred Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 pm

acie earl 55 wrote:For those who are new to this type of subject, be ready for this post to come down. It is great dialogue, but Ro and Grassroots is not happy to have these accusations come online. Rick will respectively remove the entire thread, which is the professionally responsible thing to do.

I hope when this post goes off, some of the conversation can continue in a new thread talking more of the issue than lashing out only at Ro.

This isn't in defense of him, it is just the nature of what's going to happen.

But, to think he's the only shady character on either side of the border is small minded. Parents and students fully know what's happening and the cries of innocence should be taken in stride. We wouldn't be hearing anything if Anderson got his scholly.

As for Wiggins, don't you find it interesting that his cousin Xavier who he is so close with went down to NC in year two? People talk, players know, and they're using his connections and trying to play the game of playing the game.

It is all business, just ask them at Bounce or Phase1

You have a very good point about the Thread getting removed but this is a open forum and taking it down shows you taking sides.If this was hear say topic then sure removed it but it was on national Television where millions of people saw it.
    Removing it shows you hiding things from parents also if you removed it it will just get blown into a bigger topic else where do a google search and you will see.
    What you have to look at is all the big name posters and coaches run an hide from this topic.

Going on national tv to complain to me is commiting career suicide,who would want to touch that player every organization or schools would be thinking twice
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Post by acie earl 55 Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Not me taking it down, and I have a clear side to this. Kids should stay home and get an education.

The point is tv researchers and checks with lawyers before the person in charge says it can go up.

Hooptown is responsible for making sure anyone coming on here posting half truths and focussing on individuals without the story known is the websites risk. Big red, you as a poster have a responsibility to be sure free speech doesn't come at the expense of someone's reputation or livelihood. That's called libel. Like grassroots or not, you aren't telling it as you see it, you're telling it as you saw it on tv.

tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:03 pm

I agree that Phase1 and REDA are also money making ventures, but no idea if they have shady practices.
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Post by acie earl 55 Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:01 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/huntington-preps-new-school-rules-basketball-players-play-for-the-express-attend-school-at-st-josephs-central-catholic/2012/01/23/gIQAJNFJUR_story.html

GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2011-11-21

Post by GTA_Fan Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 pm

acie earl, is there a huge difference between a club team (rep or AAU) and a prep team? I think the problem for prep school is that it requires too much commitment compare to the other regular high schools. The thing is that if I'm a very talented player, I don't need to go to prep school to get exposure, I rather do the hard way to earn that scholarship while in Canada. Look at the talented players such as Devoe Joseph, Jevohn Sheppard, and Denham Brown. These guys earn those scholarships while playing in the GTA
    Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Post by Crabber Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:31 pm

[quote="acie earl 55"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/huntington-preps-new-school-rules-basketball-players-play-for-the-express-attend-school-at-st-josephs-central-catholic/2012/01/23/gIQAJNFJUR_story.html

I don't understand ESPN, though If they ban Huntington Prep than they should not have the tourney. Findley Prep is the same. Oak Hill & others do have their own little schools but they are all Pirate schools. When I worked for Middle Atlantic Sports we never rated those teams. I finally this year talked Max-Prep into having separate ratings for high schools & prep schools.
    dak1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by dak1 Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Interesting that there is a thread just a few below this one promoting tryouts for Grassroots this weekend and next!
    nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:25 am

I watched the show. I also was not shocked. I agree some of the parents should have known better. I've seen excellent players here play rep and high school ball and do well down south in college. It's doable.

They focused on the Anderson kid from Alberta. He and mom have to share in blame. On one hand he says he didn't do much academically and on the other had no problem accepting the scholarship from Kansas. Really? Good luck at Fresno State but develop a left hand.:-)

Question about Findlay Prep. They showed Joseph and Thompson and the link with Russell but no mention of their year at Findlay. I've heard Findlay is just a building and they do all their courses online as well. True? And why not a word about it?

I agree I'd like to see a more complete show with more on the failures and also on the legitimate programs.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:47 am

stay up here? kids and parents want to take the short cut, the 'easy way'. Online courses more exposure, lol. It is part parents fault, but they have people telling them, their child won't go anywhere unless they go south, and they believe it!

Just work hard where you are, and you'll get noticed!!!!

I heard REDA charges $4000 and promised many american tournaments ~10. How many did they go to? 2 tournys?

Also, what about kevin thomas and anthony bennett, why are they not signed anywhere?

I would love to hear more of these stories, why don't they come to light? I have heard tons of them!

nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Didn't Grant Mullins do REDA in his grade 12 year? I believe he said it was a good experience but can't remember where I read that. Notre Dame usually does 9-10 tournaments per year so doubtful he'd leave to play in two, even if at a higher level.

I agree, I'd like to hear more stories.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:59 am