HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
coachphillips
stevenash
Coach Mike
Henry Carr Basketball
8 posters

Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West!

Henry Carr Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-06-01

Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West! Empty Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West!

Post by Henry Carr Basketball Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm

For the first time in 6 years, Fr Henry Carr will NOT win the TDCAA Junior Boys' Championship. This junior team, comprised of 14 and 15 year olds in grades 9 and 10, will now compete in the Senior Division in the West.

With only THREE losses in the last 5 years, 5 consecutive TDCAA Championships, and an incredibly dominating 109-56 win in last year's final, this seemed like a sensible move. It will be a tremendous challenge for all the players and coaches.

Since ALL players are junior-aged, they will still compete in the Jr Crusader Classic, the Blessed Mother Teresa Jr Invitational, and the Xavier Jr Rimrocker. We would like to have them compete in a senior boys' tournament in the new year.

They are tentatively scheduled to open the regular season on the road at Chaminade on Tuesday, November 20th. We wish the team all the best of luck as they make this ground-breaking move!

Henry Carr Basketball
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West! Empty Re: Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West!

Post by Coach Mike Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 pm

How will this team declare for OFSAA or will they not be able too?
    stevenash
    Freshman

Number of posts : 249
    Registration date : 2009-10-19

Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West! Empty Re: Fr Henry Carr Junior Boys Move Up To The Senior West!

Post by stevenash Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Can you please list the players?
    coachphillips
    Freshman

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

Post by coachphillips Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:00 am

Great decision by FHC for putting the game's integrity 1st in a league that they had no competition. I started coaching at Chaminade after FHC defeated them in a playoff game 114-14. Chaminade forgot the reason I came back to volunteer my time, which was to help build the program. They forced the 4 best players in the school to play Junior rather than play senior for me. With that being said I commend FHC and Coach Melnik on this decision. The irony being they start the season against Chaminade obviously those four players have moved on.

coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 pm

A very interesting move indeed. To answer one of the questions posted earlier, there should be no reason for these boys to be prevented from competing at ofsaa if they qualify as they are in a senior league and all juniors are eligible to play up...they just cannot go back down afterwards. The one thing is, however, I would imagine that if the FHC "a" team qualifies for ofsaa, they will not be able to take any of their "b" team players to ofsaa with them if they wanted as they would be ineligible to play for another senior team.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 pm

good for them, don't really have a problem with it. Other then feel bad for all of the senior teams who will get beat by them, but oh well, that's life
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:39 am

I can't feel sorry for any Sr team that gets beat by a true Jr team. If you can't play with Jrs then you are a sorry team who wouldn't deserve to play at OFSAA or TDCAA to begin with. I feel sorry for the Jr teams who don't get to play the FHC Jrs anymore. When I played in the TDCAA a few years back playing Carr was always a highlight of my season. Win or lose (to be honest never won and went about 0-7 in my JR/SR career vs FHC) there was always a lot to be learned from those games. The games were often close til the end where they would pull away in the 4th quarter because of their depth. Anyways, I like the move. It will only serve them better in the long run with the development of their players. I remember playing as a gr 11 Sr, there was a huge adjustment to be made with regards to the speed and physicality of the game. While this may not lead to more championships due to tougher competition, I applaud their willingness to step up to the challenge!

PS when will the TDCAA schedule be posted?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:29 am

NEVAQUITNEVALOSE wrote:I can't feel sorry for any Sr team that gets beat by a true Jr team. If you can't play with Jrs then you are a sorry team who wouldn't deserve to play at OFSAA or TDCAA to begin with. I feel sorry for the Jr teams who don't get to play the FHC Jrs anymore. When I played in the TDCAA a few years back playing Carr was always a highlight of my season. Win or lose (to be honest never won and went about 0-7 in my JR/SR career vs FHC) there was always a lot to be learned from those games. The games were often close til the end where they would pull away in the 4th quarter because of their depth. Anyways, I like the move. It will only serve them better in the long run with the development of their players. I remember playing as a gr 11 Sr, there was a huge adjustment to be made with regards to the speed and physicality of the game. While this may not lead to more championships due to tougher competition, I applaud their willingness to step up to the challenge!

PS when will the TDCAA schedule be posted?

I can't agree with your first statement. I fully expect this team to be capable of beating many teams in the GTA.

That is presuming they have their usual pool of talent which I am sure they will!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:40 pm