HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
Dunbarton
Coach Mike
CoachPaul
Killahhh
BornToBall
9 posters

Coaches, what would you rather have?

BornToBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Coaches, what would you rather have? Empty Coaches, what would you rather have?

Post by BornToBall Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06 pm

top 10 players in the league, 6'5, but does not listen to your advice you give him and sometims disrespects you?

OR

An underdog player, 5'10 PG, great shot, with the potential of a great drive ( or visa versa ) and is a team player, and respects you all the time and takes your advice, and has the POTENTIAL of being a top 10 player in the league with some pointers?
    Killahhh
    Killahhh
    Junior

Number of posts : 628
    Registration date : 2008-10-22

Coaches, what would you rather have? Empty Re: Coaches, what would you rather have?

Post by Killahhh Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm

if i was a coach....i would pick the underdog so he can make the players around him better.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Coaches, what would you rather have? Empty Re: Coaches, what would you rather have?

Post by CoachPaul Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:42 pm

I've coached both types of guys.

I would definitely take a "team" player who is small over somebody that is tall and "thinks" he's great. Take a look at someone like Kevin Pangos. He's a little taller now (I think 6' 1'') but last year he was only 5' 10. He's a great kid. Great attitude. Great player. He makes most of the 6' 5'' inch guys look like little school girls when he's on the court.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:20 am

I have to agree with both posts here... I would prefer to have the team player with a great attitude who is willing to work and listen... the problem with a lot of kids in programs now is they all think they know everything (we were all like that at some point)... and if they just took the time to listen to what their coaches were saying ... they could be that much better...a lot of us coaches have played a high level of basketball ourselves and we have some knowledge and experience... so listen and pay attention...
    Dunbarton
    Dunbarton
    Freshman

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by Dunbarton Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:39 am

I'd rather lose with winners than win with losers any time. First to get cut are always the poor attitude "stars". We only keep the first types around...whether they have that potential or not. I'm lucky to have a great bunch this year...it's not height that matters it's heart.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 am

Respect wins out over disrespect every day of the week - 'potential' just makes it that much better!

I'd rather coach a 6-6 team and have some fun, than a 12-0 team and dread going to every practice.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:58 pm

All very well put. When there is a player who is talented yet difficult to coach, he becomes a negative distraction for the team. Players become uptight and start to dispise the individual. He becomes a major cancer and when you let it go for too long, it becomes unfixable.He also becomes a bad example for the other players which in turn, influences them to behave awful as well.
    When players play as a team, you eventually become more successfull down the road because your goals are all the same. You have guys passing up shots for better looks to his teammates and most importantly, they play defence. I have had the experience of having a strong, talented but uncoachable player on my team and it eventually led to the team folding as it rubbed off on other players and became a situation that could not be handled any other way.
    I have also had the experience of being tremendously successfull with a team of players who are disciplined and play for the team. I have come within a game of getting to OFSAA and that was due to playing tough defence. This group also never had a player score more than 20 points in a game and also made sure to do smart team systems when we were blowing out teams instead of showboating, jacking up 3's and fast breaking.This group also did not have one single club player.
    A great example is West Hill. They have a new coach which means a new system. They have lost 2 games so far this season and have beaten some very strong teams already including Eastern Commerce. Coach Phillippe posts a section here solely about his team and the results. He is honest about everything from wins to losses. Then you all should read the article about West Hill that Coach Phillippe has given us the link to on his thread. You read quotes from two of his superstars(Taylor Johnston and Adrian Tomlinson) who both say nothing about themselves but make it all about the team. Adrian has 1 40 point game, 7 30 point games and 2 25 point games. He has all the stats to brag about himself and he doesn't mention a thing about it. That is a leader and a great example. West Hill will be successfull because of this. Taylor talks about getting to OFSAA and says nothing about his schloarship. Read throughout the article and there are plenty of "WE's" and no "ME's". Adrian says "I" in giving credit to how proud he was of his team winning the Seneca tournament by accomplishing it as a team.That is a coaches dream.
    It is not easy as players feel they know everything in some cases and that makes for a lack of success. I will always take a player who will dive for loose balls, take charges and set screens over somebody that complains about getting his touches. Get rid of the 6 "5" problem because it will get worse if you don't.
    BornToBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by BornToBall Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:33 pm

Oh true, all well put.
    Baller34
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by Baller34 Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 pm

wcbasketball

Next time write a longer response. The guard from West Hill is the most selfish kid I have ever seen play. I was at the Holiday Classic and I witnessed plenty of selfish play.

He needs to take 40 shots to get 40 points. Get your facts straight!!
    What you say and what you do are completely different.
    Rexdale Coach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by Rexdale Coach Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Any player regardless of skill level must be a team player first and foremost! Any "cancer" to the team will only spread as mentioned. The smaller skilled player with a better head on his shoulders makes your life as a coach easier and in my opinion a better team atmosphere. As coach Imgrund stated I would rather coach a 6-6 team willing to learn and play as a team then a 12-0 with heads and dreading practices. I dont want to walk into a school representing my school with worries in the back of my head constantly!
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 am

[quote="Baller34"]wcbasketball

Next time write a longer response. The guard from West Hill is the most selfish kid I have ever seen play. I was at the Holiday Classic and I witnessed plenty of selfish play.

He needs to take 40 shots to get 40 points. Get your facts straight!!
    What you say and what you do are completely different.[/quote]
    Pretty rude response from you here, whoever you are! Being sarcastic about my long response doesn't make you witty nor funny. I read a column regarding West Hill and nothing pointed to selfishness yet you find the time to bash the kid and me in the process. Seems as though you have a real hate on for a few of us and that doesn't bother me one bit. Still, for you to tell me to get my facts straight is pretty intense. I thought the fact that his own coach(Coach Phillippe) speaks very highly of him and he said all the right things in the article should make for some proof of getting facts straight.
    Is my response short enough for you? Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:29 pm