HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions

tipoff
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions Empty Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions

Post by tipoff Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Perhaps Xavier Rimrocker can help me out with a number of questions:

It looks like Peel Senior Tier 1 is divided up into 6 divisions with 5 teams each.  The top 8 AAAA teams make the playoffs if I am looking at the draft correctly.

Would they take the division winnners for 6 spots (assuming they are all 4A) and then how the heck do they decide the other 2 spots?  Could there not be multiple teams tied with the same record?

Will the winner of those playoffs be the overall ROPSSAA champion?

How many of those 30 Tier teams are AAAA?

Do the AAA or lower teams still have the option to play in the AAAA playoffs if they elect to play at that classification?  When do they have to declare this?

I personally think it would be easier to have 4 divisions (of 8,8,7,7 teams).

Then have the top 3 teams from each division make the playoffs for a total of 12 teams and give the division winners (seeded 1-4) a bye into the quarterfinals.  You will then have an overall ROPSSAA champion and can decide the OFSAA reps for each classification from the results if you want to.

Last edited by tipoff on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions Empty Re: Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions

Post by panathas Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I could be wrong, my understanding is that the top AAAA team in each division makes the play-offs, regardless if they win the division or not, then either the seeding committee or coaches vote in the next best 2 AAAA teams.

Could be wrong, wasn't at the pre-season meeting.

tipoff
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions Empty Re: Peel Tier 1 Divisions and Playoffs Setup - Questions

Post by tipoff Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 am

I have never liked having to even make the playoffs being decided on opinion if that is what is going to happen for the final 2 spots.

That is why I would favour 4 divisions and take the top 3 finishers from each for a 12 team playoff or even take the top 4 and go to a 16 team playoff. I think in a 30 team league it is reasonable that more than 8 teams make the playoffs.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I have tried to help with as many questions as posisble. See below:

Would they take the division winnners for 6 spots (assuming they are all 4A) and then how the heck do they decide the other 2 spots?  Could there not be multiple teams tied with the same record?
    The top team in each division, assuming they have declared AAAA, advances, along with two more teams as determined by the seeding committee. If the top team has declared a different level then the extra spot goes to the next highest seeded team, as determined by the seeding committee.

Will the winner of those playoffs be the overall ROPSSAA champion?
    The winner will be ROPSSAA AAAA champion. The other levels will each have their own championship, with the top 4 seeded teams in each of those levels playing in the semi-finals for that level.

How many of those 30 Tier teams are AAAA?
    Based on actual school population, I believe the following teams are not 4A: St. Roch (3A), Ascension (2A), BCSS (3A), Ste. Famille (2A), Ambrozic (3A), Humberview (3A), Iona (3A), Loyola (3A), Joan of Arc (3A), Woodlands (3A), Applewood (3A), St. MArtin (2). However, bear in mind that all teams are considered 4A until they declare that they will play at their actual level and that some numbers may be off as my levels are based on a mix of last year's and this year's numbers while it is offcially based on the prevous year.

Do the AAA or lower teams still have the option to play in the AAAA playoffs if they elect to play at that classification?  When do they have to declare this?
    I'm not sure of the date but all teams can play up and are assumed to be up unless they declare at a smaller classification.

I personally think it would be easier to have 4 divisions (of 8,8,7,7 teams).

Then have the top 3 teams from each division make the playoffs for a total of 12 teams and give the division winners (seeded 1-4) a bye into the quarterfinals.  You will then have an overall ROPSSAA champion and can decide the OFSAA reps for each classification from the results if you want to.
    What happens if two or more teams from the same classification have equal results? Does that mean extra play downs? Don't forget that Peel teams in 3A and smaller must still play against the GHAC champion for a spot so fitting in the extra game(s) would be a problem. What if no teams from a classification make the playoffs?[/quote]
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:07 pm

tipoff wrote:I have never liked having to even make the playoffs being decided on opinion if that is what is going to happen for the final 2 spots.

That is why I would favour 4 divisions and take the top 3 finishers from each for a 12 team playoff or even take the top 4 and go to a 16 team playoff. I think in a 30 team league it is reasonable that more than 8 teams make the playoffs.
    It's a lose/lose proposition. If it's based purely on league results then there are complaints that teams in the deeper divisions are getting shafted in the playoff seedings. If it's based on a committee then there are complaints of subjectivity. I like this way because the coaches can consider quality of the divisions and any results at OFSAA-sanctioned tournaments, allowing for a better overall picture.

The reason that only 8 make the playoffss is because it's not really a 30 team league. It's a mix of 4A, 3A, and 2A teams that won't mix come playoff time. Assuming all teams declare at their actual classification, the 4A playoffs is actually made up of 8/18 teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am