HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+10
eastern23
wcbasketball
RespectBaller
Coach Mike
CoachPaul
Coach Clement
Up&Comer
BigTimeScorer
last1standing
14 posters

Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne

Poll

Whos Better ?

[ 9 ]
    Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Bar_left21%Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 34 ]
    Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Bar_left79%Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Bar_right [79%] 

Total Votes: 43
    last1standing
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2008-12-15

Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Empty Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne

Post by last1standing Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 am

I've Never Seen Either Of Them Play But I've Heard They Were Both Amazing.
    And They Are Going At Each Other I Think Some Time In Febuary
    But Who Do You Guys Think Is Better ?
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Empty Re: Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne

Post by 101010 Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Obviously Shaq woodcock.
    Who the heck is Jonathan Layne???
    BigTimeScorer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 153
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne Empty Re: Shaquille Woodcock VS Jonathan Layne

Post by BigTimeScorer Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:13 pm

he scored all his team points datz why he scored 63. and thatz why this guy even made this pool. if u see him play hes probably not even dat great. den again ive nvr seen him play.
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:13 pm

isnt he in grade 9? Layne.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Shaquille is among the best in Junior.

Jonathon I have never seen but could he even start on a good team?

Its very different than you jack every shot, do not defend, do not share the ball, etc. etc.

Those numbers mean nothing when its one weak team playing another weak team.

What does he score against Carr A or Carr B?

Even so, is he scoring on their starters or their bench in a blowout??

Shaquille is in a different category altogether.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

[quote="Coach Clement"]Shaquille is among the best in Junior.

Its very different than you jack every shot, do not defend, do not share the ball, etc. etc.

Shaquille is in a different category altogether.[/quote]

I have to admin that I've never seen Jonathan play, but when you've got 5 games in the 25 point club, that means something. Only one of those 5 games is under 30. He as a 63 and a 39 point game. This speaks volumes about that young man. If these numbers were put up my Kevin Pangos then you'd all be saying "yeah, that makes sense". Just because you don't know the guy, don't start talking down about him. How many of you out there voting on this site can say that you've put up numbers like that? You can't, because I don't see your name in the club. All of you guys have played against the same set of "crappy" teams that Jonathan played and yet I don't see anyone else with 60+ points anywhere.

I don't care if you play the whole game and every single play is to you, these numbers are still remarkable. If he can score 63 on a crappy team, he can probably score 25+ on Henry Carr A - that's what I'm betting. If you're a coach and you're not double teaming this guy then I think you have a few screw loose! Can't wait to see you play Jonathan - it will be a treat!
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 pm

I have had the pleasure of playing against both of these guys this season... in fact Jonathan scored his 63 against my team.

As far as who is better... that is a tough question... because of the talent that Shaq has around him and the lack there of for Jonathan... one would never really be able to tell.

Jonathan is a good player, with a great jumper, decent handle... although when I was able to play my best defender on him he had some issues... I think he will have trouble at the senior level where defenders are a little more physical and are bigger and stronger. Plus teams will be able to make him work a little harder on the defensive end. Would I say that Jonathan is a selfish player... NO he is not... he does what his coach feels gives them the best chance to win.. which is score as much as he can... it is his coach that calls his number and puts the ball in his hands... when you do double him.. he finds the open man, but if they can't finish or force up bad shots, that is not his problem... he is definitely a guy I would like to see play at a good program. I mean for a kid who gets doubled all game long and has the other team's best defender on him all game to put up the offensive numbers he has... there must be some talent in the kid

Shaq, I didn't see too much of, as they blew us out pretty early, but he is a solid defender and can get to the hoop at will. He is also a very unselfish player who moves and shares the ball with his teammates and runs his team's offense very well. I would say he is a very balanced player, who gets it done on both ends of the floor. He is also surrounded by a great deal of talent so that has to help his cause.

So I guess to answer this question... I would say offensively Jonathan... and defensively Shaq...I would really like to watch these two go at each other in their up coming game
    RespectBaller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by RespectBaller Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Jonathan scored 39 vs carr b a great team
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:49 pm

I am also of the opinion that you must be a good player if you score 63 points. I don't care who you play against or how many shots you jack up. Think about it, that is an average of 16 points a quarter. That is not easy at any level. You still have to make the shots so let's give the kid the credit he is due.
    I would still give the nod to Shaq because he plays well day in and day out against everybody. Shaq is the more complete player as he is a very good defender.He will not score 63 points in a game simply because Carr is a very strong team with tons of depth. There is no reason for him to go off like that whereas Jonathon has to carry his team. He scored 39 against Carr's "B" team and that is no small feat.
    last1standing
    Freshman

Post by last1standing Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:05 pm

[quote="Coach Clement"]Shaquille is among the best in Junior.

jonathan had 39 on carr b and they only lost by 20. carr b being as strong as they are isnt that something ?
    eastern23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-11-02

Post by eastern23 Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:51 am

dont compare certain players 2 eachother cause it will start nuff alot of stuff and i never seen this jonathan kid play soo i cant judge till isee but most likely shaq is a better player overall
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:17 pm

[quote="last1standing"][quote="Coach Clement"]Shaquille is among the best in Junior.

jonathan had 39 on carr b and they only lost by 20. carr b being as strong as they are isnt that something ?[/quote]

Yes I agree Carr B is definitely a good team. I'm sure Jonathon must be a good player.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    THESCOUT
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-12-16

Post by THESCOUT Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Now thats what i like to see ,thats a Coach who opens his mouth having seen and played against both players well done Coach p
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:32 am

Its just that so frequently I have seen good players on bad teams and they are doing things like forcing shots, floating on defence, not making obvious passes to teammates, etc.

In the long run that will not help them become better players. It has caused me to make judgments without having seen the young man play. However in this case, I concede I may have been wrong and that indeed Jonathon is more likely than not a very talented young man.

As has been pointed out you do not put up those numbers unless you have something going on in terms of your game.

One thing I know first-hand however is that when you take both ends of the court into account Shaquille Woodcock may be the best player around playing Junior this year.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Where were these guys playing last year? How did they do last year?
    beast from da east
    Freshman

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-10-21

Post by beast from da east Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 pm

that johnathan layne kid is just a good player in a CRAPPPY division and good player can score that much against teams with not so good basketball players all of u guys are talkin about his 63 points ok but how much assists did he have in that game and personally i think if you cant make your team mates better around you then your not that good of a player and shaq is a very good slasher and can finish around the basket with no problem and his jumpshot is developing and is becoming solid if these two kids play you will see what i mean because everyone noes shaq will LOCK HIM DOWN
    last1standing
    Freshman

Post by last1standing Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:07 pm

yeah i understand what beast from da east is sayin. but what if his team just cant finish. even coach mike who faced him said that he is not a selfish player so is it really is fault about the assists ?.

Im just looking forward to seeing whats ganna happen when these to play.

And Coach Mike when you guys played jonathan how much assist do u think he probably had ?
    lockdown
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by lockdown Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm

what are his other stats - rebs, steels?
    brownc22
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Post by brownc22 Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 pm

how are u guys tryna compare shaq widd these unknown guyss

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:37 pm