HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+20
OnlyTheTruth
TorontoBasketball
RealBall
Coach Bob
DatBaller15
scout
Hang-Time
CoachImgrund
panathas
rising_star_34
rerun
george
Coach Clement
Coach Philippe
Respect
Coach Melnik
bruins
EYE OF A TIGER
stevelogan92
HooptownGTA
24 posters

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th Empty HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:14 am

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th

1. Eastern Commerce
    2. Henry Carr
    3. Pickering
    4. Mother Teresa
    5. d'Youville
    6. Oakwood
    7. West Hill
    8. Vaughan
    9. Campion
    10. St. Francis Xavier
    11. Western Tech
    12. Loyola
    13. Central Commerce
    14. Pope John Paul
    15. Martingrove
    16. Vaughan Road

Honourable Mentions: J.C. Richardson, Notre Dame (Ajax), Pine Ridge, Milliken Mills, Laurier, Jefferys

Check the site for more details.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 am

Couple of notes:

-All season the rankings have been based on only GTA games, so games outside the GTA (wins or losses) are not taken into consideration. Perhaps this was an error on my part, however, if games vs. non-GTA teams were taken into account, then that would mean keeping track of all of Ontario, which is not the focus of HooptownGTA at this time.

-Loyola moves out of the top 10, because for the season they only have one win vs. a Super 16 team.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released Jan 12th

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:43 am

This is probably the most accurate ranking all season! No complaints
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 am

HooptownGTA i know how hard it is to compile such hard list, but good job on this one.

Today
    George Harvey @ Vaughn Road

MT Tourney (2nd round)*if there is no upsets:
    J.C. Richardson vs. Pope John Paul
    Pine Ridge vs. Vaughn Road
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 pm

i think it is a little odd that carr moves up when they got smacked by STA a double a school in oakville. and don't start with oakville or halton doesn't count in your rankings, it is closer to toronto then pickering or any other durham school may be. and on closer look boths schools are the same distance from union station
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:08 pm

[quote="bruins"]i think it is a little odd that carr moves up when they got smacked by STA a double a school in oakville. and don't start with oakville or halton doesn't count in your rankings, it is closer to toronto then pickering or any other durham school may be. and on closer look boths schools are the same distance from union station[/quote]

Halton teams (Oakville & Burlington) are not included in the HooptownGTA rankings. There hasn't been a Halton team ranked in HooptownGTA's rankings all season. If Halton teams were included, then for sure Assumption, Holy Trinity, and St. Thomas Aquinas would be ranked somewhere in the Super 16.

Last season Halton teams were included in the Super 16, but then I found that the Halton teams did not play a lot of games vs. the rest of the GTA, so it was hard to get a read on them. So this year, I decided not to include the Halton teams. Perhaps this was an error on my part, but based on last year, I didn't think that the Oakville/Burlington teams would have played this many games vs. the rest of the GTA.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Actually, Carr, also a 'AA' school, lost to STA by 5, 68-63.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:27 pm

I think it is wrong to not include HALTON teams in the rankings if you are including DURHAM teams. It makes some areas feel descriminated against and you must remember that these people are supporters of your site as well.

BTW: Halton loves HooptownGTA!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm

This is an issue that Rick and I have discussed all season...

As a Real Estate Agent in my 9-5, Oakville and Burlington are definitely classified as being within the Greater Toronto Area geographically.
    They are to Mississauga what Pickering and Ajax are to Scarborough.

Just like Bruins mentioned as far as km's from Union, absolutely these suburbs are the same distance as Pickering and Ajax.

From a basketball perspective, teams like Holy Trinity, Assumption, and St. Thomas Aquinas have definitely proven to be competitive and the Toronto Star has had them ranked in the Top 10/HM all season.

Non-GTA to me would include Hamilton, Ottawa, Kingston, Waterloo, Guelph etc. (and of course there are tough teams there as well, but geographically are not in our region..)

Rick's job is not an easy one by any means, and I don't envy him. It's impossible to make everyone happy. Overall, Hooptown GTA is a phenomenal site, and what Rick is doing for the profile and exposure to Toronto basketball and everyone involved is fantastic!

Keep up the good work in 2009...

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 pm

[quote="Respect"]I think it is wrong to not include HALTON teams in the rankings if you are including DURHAM teams. It makes some areas feel descriminated against and you must remember that these people are supporters of your site as well.

BTW: Halton loves HooptownGTA![/quote]

Like I said, this was my mistake in not including the Halton teams this season, but based on the past few seasons, I found that the top Halton teams did not play a lot of games vs. the rest of the GTA.... so it was hard to rank those teams based on very few games vs. the rest of the GTA. If you compare that to the top teams in Durham (which are mostly in Pickering & Ajax), those teams, especially Pickering High, have always competed in GTA tournaments.

I did not mean any disrespect to the Halton teams by not including them in the HooptownGTA rankings.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 pm

When it comes to OFSSAA Halton and Burlington are grouped with Hamilton area teams.

So that kind of ties them together in terms of basketball (and mentally for us).

Last edited by Coach Clement on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    george
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

Post by george Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Halton teams have more in common with the GTA schools, especially Oakville, than Hamilton. AS far as OFSSAA is concerned Halton goes through Hamilton Catholic not Hamilton Public which is a much bigger board. hamilton Public (includes Dundas remember them) goes through Niagara to get to OFSSA. I would venture to say that the basketball powers in Halton play more games to the east of them than they do in Hamilton. Funny situation they are not wanted in Hamilton and the GTA disowns them. That being said yes it would be difficult to keep track of them. Perhaps this will change as MIlton and Oakville are getting more of the Mississauga spill over. Mount Carmel, Gonzaga, Port Credit, Clarkson etc are closer to Oakville than many of the Burlington schools. Just some facts!!!!
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 pm

HooptownGTA, I realize you have a difficult task and thank you for the job you do. I accept that you have acknowledged making a mistake and not trying to disrespect HALTON. With that in mind, can you now start including the HALTON teams in your rankings again from here on out?

I suggest that you bump the rankings to the GTA Top 20 and place the deserving HALTON teams where you feel they belong. If nothing, it will do wonders for increased traffic & dialogue on this site.

Thanks
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Games this week that include Super 16 match-ups:

Monday January 12th:
    George Harvey @ #16 Vaughan Road

Tuesday January 13th:
    #1 Eastern Commerce @ #11 Western Tech

Wednesday January 14th:
    J.C. Richardson @ Notre Dame (Ajax)
    #5 d'Youville @ Ascension

Mother Terese Invitational:
    #2 Henry Carr
    #3 Pickering
    #4 Mother Teresa
    #7 West Hill
    #8 Vaughan
    #14 Pope John Paul
    #15 Martingrove
    #16 Vaughan Road
    J.C. Richardson
    Pine Ridge
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Slick Rick!

I guess people want you to quit your day job and become a full time Hooptowngta investigator, reporter and administrator. As I said before, you're doing a great job to compile all these results. Everyone just lighten up!!!! I like the passion, the intensity and great interest in GTA Basketball, but, all this criticism is nonsense. He admitted that he made a mistake...he'll revisit it and make some changes in the future.... Slick Rick is not Jack Armstrong or Peter Vecessy....or some full time/paid basketball professional. He tries his best to get all the scores and paint an accurate picture of high school basketball, but, it is one man...he can't be everywhere. Anyone volunteering to help?
    rising_star_34
    Freshman

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2008-11-12

Post by rising_star_34 Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm

i agree with rerun he makes alot of sense Rick is not doing all of this for himself he is doing it for you so you ppl need to chill
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:20 pm

The Mother Teresa tournament is going to be very important event that will reshuffle the top a little, but, will have a major impact on sorting out the 14th, 15th and 16th as well as those honourable mention slots. On the top end you have Pickering, MT, Henry Carr, West Hill and Vaughn. So we'll get a chance to see Henry Carr go against some of the other top teams again...to bad Eastern is not here.

More importantly, this is the first event where you have some of the mid major schools for lack of a better word potentially matching up against each other. If everything goes to plan, we'll have a fairly accurate ranking from top to bottom. If there are some upsets like last week, it gets even better.
    If teams like JClarke, Pope John Paul, Vaughn Road and Pine Ridge play head-to-head, then there is no speculation...just ranked positions based on direct competition.

1st round match-ups

J Clarke vs. Henry Carr
    Pope John Paul vs. Beal
    (Potential JClarke vs. POPE match up in 2nd round...two teams with similiar styles of play....should be an interesting, quick paced game)

Vaughn Road vs. Pickering
    Vaughn vs. Pine Ridge
    (Potential Vaughn Road vs. Pine Ridge match-up in 2nd round unless the upsets continue again...maybe Pine Ridge can pull off another top 10 upset win in a week)

On the other side of the draw

Martingrove vs. West Hill
    (If West Hill shoots the ball well, then they'll win, but, if they don't it should be a really close game)

Father Goetz vs. Guelph Centennial
    (Both are 2008 Quad A OFSAA teams....Goetz is not the powerhouse team of last year...Guelph Centennial is one of the stronger teams in the Tri-City and Guelph area....Guelph in a close game)

The two teams in the consolation final or the teams that pull off an upset of a stronger ranked team should more or less solidify the 14th, 15th and 16th spots without question. The teams that lose two games on the consolation side should occupy the lower slots in the Honourable mention area. We'll see on Thursday how it breaks down.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Vaughan Road 63 George Harvey 50
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:18 am

January 13th:

TORONTO DISTRICT

Sr. Boys' Basketball — Central Commerce 79 (Gamachu Ibrahim, 24) Central Tech 59 (Shawn Odiong,13); York Memorial 63 Etobicoke 48; North Albion 68 (Jason David, 19) York Humber 40 (David Edwards, 19); Eastern Commerce 64 (Marvin Binney, 19) Western Tech 51 (Jeffrey Christmas, 25); Martingrove 69 (Mohamed Osman, 19) Thistletown 36 (Anthony McGregor Boothe, 14)

WESTERN TECH EAGLES

Western Tech was in a close game with #1 Eastern Commerce basket-for-basket until the 2 minute mark of the 4th when Eastern Started to pull away. GREAT EFFORT !......I am very impressed by Western Tech performance these days and is a dangerous team coming into the playoffs with big fella Jeffrey Christmas.. Watch Out!
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:14 am

Wow! Western Tech with Two impressive performances against some traditional powerhouse programs in Eastern Commerce and Oakwood. If they were close for 30 out or 32 minutes...then they definitely faired better than Vaughn did at the St. Mikes tourney (a 40 point blow out loss). I guess everyone is sleeping on #11 Western Tech. After a 15 point win against #6 Oakwood and a really competitive against #1 Eastern...they are definitely top 10 barring a major upset against them. They should move up to number #8 on the next ranking unless some of the teams like Campion, Vaughn, Xavier do something significant over the course of this week.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 am

St Theresa of Lisieux over Milliken Mills (HM) by 14.
    Hang-Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by Hang-Time Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm

[quote="rerun"]The Mother Teresa tournament is going to be very important event that will reshuffle the top a little, but, will have a major impact on sorting out the 14th, 15th and 16th as well as those honourable mention slots. On the top end you have Pickering, MT, Henry Carr, West Hill and Vaughn. So we'll get a chance to see Henry Carr go against some of the other top teams again...to bad Eastern is not here.

More importantly, this is the first event where you have some of the mid major schools for lack of a better word potentially matching up against each other. If everything goes to plan, we'll have a fairly accurate ranking from top to bottom. If there are some upsets like last week, it gets even better.
    If teams like JClarke, Pope John Paul, Vaughn Road and Pine Ridge play head-to-head, then there is no speculation...just ranked positions based on direct competition.

1st round match-ups

J Clarke vs. Henry Carr
    Pope John Paul vs. Beal
    (Potential JClarke vs. POPE match up in 2nd round...two teams with similiar styles of play....should be an interesting, quick paced game)

Vaughn Road vs. Pickering
    Vaughn vs. Pine Ridge
    (Potential Vaughn Road vs. Pine Ridge match-up in 2nd round unless the upsets continue again...maybe Pine Ridge can pull off another top 10 upset win in a week)

On the other side of the draw

Martingrove vs. West Hill
    (If West Hill shoots the ball well, then they'll win, but, if they don't it should be a really close game)

Father Goetz vs. Guelph Centennial
    (Both are 2008 Quad A OFSAA teams....Goetz is not the powerhouse team of last year...Guelph Centennial is one of the stronger teams in the Tri-City and Guelph area....Guelph in a close game)

The two teams in the consolation final or the teams that pull off an upset of a stronger ranked team should more or less solidify the 14th, 15th and 16th spots without question. The teams that lose two games on the consolation side should occupy the lower slots in the Honourable mention area. We'll see on Thursday how it breaks down.[/quote]

Beal should surprise some teams.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 am

Recap:

#1 Eastern Commerce 64 (Marvin Binney 19) - #11 Western Tech 51 (Jeffrey Christmas 25)
    St. Theresa of Lisieux 60 - Milliken Mills 46
    Notre Dame 65 (Damal Donaldson 27) - JC Richardson 59 (Justin Jarrett 16)

Upcoming games:
    #7 West Hill vs. #15 Martingrove
    #2 Henry Carr vs. JC Richardson
    #3 Pickering vs. #16 Vaughan Road
    scout
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by scout Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 am

your doing a fine job RICK you should try doing a top 16 in the provinc to
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 pm

[quote="scout"]your doing a fine job RICK you should try doing a top 16 in the provinc to[/quote]

AGREED +1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 pm