HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
Peel Fan
DF
rec
greenlight
Coach Philippe
HooptownGTA
diavoli
11 posters

Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score....

diavoli
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score.... Empty Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score....

Post by diavoli Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 pm

The Score has decided to broadcast live the Carelton (Ranked #1) vs. Ottawa (Ranked #2) game at 8 pm. ESPN is showing Duke vs. Wake Forest and The Score usually picks up the Wed broadcast. I was looking for the Duke game myself, but realized what an opportunity for young basketball players to see what CIS basketball is all about. The game is being played at Scotiabank Place and 10,000 tickets have been sold. When will we see York vs. Toronto at the ACC?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score.... Empty Re: Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score....

Post by HooptownGTA Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Should be a very exciting game.

Ottawa has several GTA players on their roster:
    http://www.geegees.ca/node/10%26sid=13
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score.... Empty Re: Ottawa/Carleton tonight on The Score....

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Definitely looking forward to this one.
    Since my hometown is Ottawa, it's great to see this fierce Cross-town rivalry broadcast live across the country...

The fact that they're currently ranked #1 (Carleton) and #2 (Ottawa U.) in Canada and are playing in front of 10,000 only adds to the competitiveness of this game!

My alma mater is St. Mary's University, so I'm pretty impartial, but I have good friends that have played for both the Gee-Gee's and Ravens, that are going to be fired up tonight...

Great to see the CIS get some primetime coverage and support that it deserves. Hopefully we can see this more often!

Hats off to the Score for supporting Canadian Basketball and promoting the game in primetime!!
    greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by greenlight Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

anyone know if this game will be streamed online anywhere for those of us who can't catch the game on tv
    rec
    Freshman

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by rec Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:48 pm

www.ssncanada.ca
    Sports Streaming Canada carries the game
    DF
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

Post by DF Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm

I agree, the Score is doing something that needs to be done much more often. I've seen more american HIGH SCHOOL games on television than canadian University games. This is a positive step forward for Canadian basketball and I look forward to seeing more tv broadcasts such as this in the future.
    As for my comments on the game, ottawa is playing very sloppily. They could have this game in their pockets if they were taking better care of the basketball. P.S. it is 3:07 left in the second.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 am

Carleton deserved the win last night. They played much better defence and it lead to a lot of points off turnovers and many easy defensive rebounds. IOt was also nice to see Carleton starters make their entry without theridiculous showboating that made the Gee gees look bush league.

While I enjoyed the game, I found the over-all quality of the broadcast to be poor. A few reasons:

The announcers must have decided that they were going to stick to their storylines throughout the broadcast. One example is that there were literally dozens of comments about Josh Wright coming from the US. It was mentioned again and again and again and again and...

Of the dozens of fouls called in the game, I can only recall a couple where they mentioned the player and the number they had. As foul trouble became an issue for both teams, that would have been far more valuable information than listening to Jason Dom suck up to John Dore on a regular basis.

A lot of missed inbound passes and a few key plays missed because the producer lingered too long on crowd or coach shots or they came back from commercials too late.

Both announcers were frequently confused as to what call had been made, even though the refs were standing right in front of them to relay the call to the scorer.

The score at the top left often disappeared or it would show incorrect scores.

For what ever reason, the on screen guide through Rogers digitial showed the broadcast as "CIS womens basketball".

Any time Cabby is on screen, I can feel my brian cells dying. OTOH, I did love hearing Stu Turnbull call out Cabby and make him stammer for a response.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 pm

It was a great game last night, with great video coverage!

I think kid's need to start considering OUA schools, after High School. Smile
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Yea they focused alot on the guy from the NCAA.

I thought he played terrible. Turnovers terrible shots. He looks like a freshman. Even though hes a senior.

Warren Ward looks like hes gonna be a decent player when he adapts to the Uni game.
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Enjoyed watching the game, it gives you a chance to see a player like Turnball play and see how much his game has improved.I remember 4 years ago when he was on that very good Kingston Frontenac team that completed very well with the elite GTA teams of that year.I think they were at OFSSA(Unv.of Guelf) that year and can't remember if they were the Silver or Bronze winner that year.Sure wish some of our better high school players stayed @ home and played in the CIS.
    jayallday
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2008-07-30

Post by jayallday Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Does anybody know why Vlad didn't play? Or suite up for the matter? I was told that he participated in warm-ups, but I saw him in a different unigorm than other players. If somebody could fill me in it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:37 am