HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
OnlyTheTruth
skip2myloupt2
scarx
we.not.me
TorontoBasketball
9 posters

Toronto West..

TorontoBasketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Toronto West.. Empty Toronto West..

Post by TorontoBasketball Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Throughout the last two years, there has been constant talk on the West being very week. Today it was proved wrong as George Harvey captured there 2A City Championship and Martingrove grabbed the 3A Championship.

George Harvey, way to go and prove everyone that you guys were a team to be messing with. Knocking off Central Commerce then comming in and beating Leacock. In a way, you have to be proud of these guys for showing heart and dedication and not giving up even after losing in the semis. It also must be really fufilling to those 5th year guys on the team who are now going to OFSAA. Congrats to them on the big win.

Martingrove, constantly proving doubters wrong. Comming into the year they were not even expected to win West. However, Martingrove did exact that and won Toronto West. Knocking off a powerful Vaughan Road team. Then going into cities where last year they fell short losing to Central Commerce. This year, beating Westview then Western Tech and then today beating Emery with a buzzer beater for the second year in a row. Congrats to Martingrove, especially those players from last year, which from the list look like Matthew Wright, Steven M, Mohammed Osman, Troy Mc Donald, JJ Williams, Amanjit Dhillon.

Another thing I want to congratulate both teams, why? Mutual Respect. Martingrove and Harvey did have their differences on the court, but after the Harvey game, both players from Martingrove and Harvey were shaking eachothers hands saying, "Good luck at OFSAA" or "Beat these guys, you guys are representing Toronto West." That just shows class, and how these players are able to put away their differences and support one another.

Agian good luck to Harvey at the 2A OFSAA, and good luck to Martingrove at the 3A OFSAA.
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2008-12-11

Toronto West.. Empty Re: Toronto West..

Post by we.not.me Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 pm

represent the west!

i wanna see harvey go all the way, and i wanna see martingrove go all the way.
    scarx
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

Post by scarx Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:26 pm

i can see mci going far but as for ghci i doubt it
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Post by we.not.me Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 pm

lol that's what we were saying when harvey was gonna play central. look what happened. i seriously want harvey to go all the way, so they can silence their critics. they deserve it.
    scarx
    Freshman

Post by scarx Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm

everyone has a good game. I am not saying george harvey has a bad team, they are good just i would have to go with martingrove making it further in ofsaa.
    we.not.me
    Freshman

Post by we.not.me Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

i think harvey is in a stride right now. that fight that went down at the city finals game i think really fired them up. they are hyped for ofsaa, it's their first time. in my understanding that they are going to ofsaa for basketball for the first time in a LONG time.
    skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by skip2myloupt2 Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:33 pm

T-WEST did it big today
    good luck to martingrove and george harvey in ofsaa
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by OnlyTheTruth Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:26 pm

I see both teams going far in Ofsaa .. They will both get good seeds after winning cities and will defintly not take anything easy... Goodluck to both teams and make the west proud.. Very Happy
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Congrads to George Harvey and Martingrove.

last year it was Toronto South taking home 4A and 3A......this year Harvey knocked off Central Commerce(last years 3A champs) to win 2A.....and for 3A Martingrove beat a 6 man deep Emery squad by 2

I was in the stands for both games and my notes were:

George Harvey- was clearly going to win vs. Leacock (even though it got close) and the fight showed NO CLASS by both teams

Martingrove - i believe Martingrove played one of their WORST games !. Honestly, i dont know if it was the big crowd. Emery took there time on every play and was disaplined. Mathew had 31/55 pionts ?..WOW ...where was Justin B. and Mohamed O. the Whole Game? ......

Mathew heated up at the end with big 3's and with Emery up 2 (37sec to go) Mohamed O. hit 2 freethrows to tie....Emery's Kadeem F. pulled up for a mid-range and missed with Anothony O. called for an over the back. Mathew got the ball with 5 sec. left and made a great pass to the skinny white guy for a game-winning layup............Great Finish! ..BUT Martingrove got lucky specially with such an off-game
    scarx
    Freshman

Post by scarx Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:44 pm

yea martingrove got extremely lucky to get away with the win, cause they played horribly for there normal selves. Mat has his usuall outstanding game and pretty much carried the team. But from what i hear everyone else was horrible except for stevan who had his average 10pts, but as for justin b. he played horrible offensively. He only had like 2pts.

Mohamed o. and the skinny white guy aka troy M. bothed played badly except for the fact they came up with huge shots down the end. they both average around 10pts and together i think they only made 10pts.

If martingrove is gonna play like that in ofsaa then they are as good as done. They need there whole startin lineup which is very good on most days to step up in order to get anywhere.

Dont underestimate any of those starting five.

As for george harvey fidel played well and so did that one point gaurd. They are hungry as hell and i think they have a chance this year to gain some good experience in ofsaa. Next year when fidel is in grade 12 watch out cause they have a good chance at going very far. He is the future.
    THE ROASTA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by THE ROASTA Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 pm

I just seen the Emery vs. Martingrove game on Rogers

what i seen:

Emery held the ball for at least 35 sec each play which forced to Martingrove to get out of the zone. It was a defensive struggle with only 55 points. I was hering the word "Chess Match" by both coaches

**people say "Emery only had 6 guys" as a pitty effect. Well Emery only playd 5 guys and Martingrove only playd 6 guys (7th a little)

Martingrove Starting 5 Notes:

Mathew W. - had 31/55 of his teams pionts carrying the team on a off-day

Stevan M. solid game with some deep 3's

Mohamed O. playd bad in the begining but picked it up late with an ofensive rebound to put him on the line (37sec.) with 2 big freethrows to tie

Troy M.- had a goose egg (0 pts) the whole game but none bigger then the game-wining layup. Emery sure slept on him backdoor

Justin B. -played the most horrible game out of anybody. He had game high's in the begining of the year, but he NEED to step up playoff time. Absolutly no where to be found with 2pts.
    Sunsilk
    Sunsilk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Sunsilk Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:24 am

Do they give suspensions in Highschool basketball? If not THEY SHOULD!!
    The #21 guy has had multiple incidents were he has been in a scuffle. I think he should be suspened.

Also if martin grove ever plays like that In OFSAA it will be an instant lose guranteed.
    Justin has to step up. At the beginning they were looking for him then it looked like they lost trust in him and that's when mathew took over.
    Coach Bob
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by Coach Bob Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:33 am

Congradulations to Coach Gray and the Bears in wining the 1st entry to 3A OFSAA.

Hats off to Coach Maydo someone i adore for what he did for basketball in Toronto for taking control of the tempo of the game. Martingrove was playing Emery's slow grindout game.

To breakdown the Toronto West champions vs. Emery,

#35 Mathew Wright - This kid really impressed me. Great shooting stoke and in general ball IQ. He was the only player with a solid game throughout (31pts) (including #10 Stevan M. -10pts)

#00 Mohamed Osman- HUGE ofensive rebound to hit 2 late second free throws for the tie.I also believed did a good job defensively against #32 Anthony Ottley and should of got the ball more in the post to get Ottley in foul trouble. Martingrove did too much passing around the 3pt line

#13 Troy McDonald- Give the kid some credit, not scoring the whole game came in and cut backdoor for the game-winning layup. Exciting Finish! Credit to Coach Gray in a great play

#4 Justin Bakuteeka- began the game with a turnover in the stands. It was that kind of day, but im sure he will bounce back (finished with 4pts not 2)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 pm