HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+17
wcbasketball
Coach Philippe
bruins
panathas
Only The Truth
Xavier Rimrocker
44syracuse
RealBall
ball4life
loveball
HooptownGTA
outoftowncoach
ThaIceman
Big D
Achiever
southballer_15
petro
21 posters

Rick... while your at it...

petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Rick... while your at it... Empty Rick... while your at it...

Post by petro Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Please erase the SI link that I originally posted... Why... because I asked!

Erasing what people wrote is simply in violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom. A lot could have been learned if this thread was kept alive.
    southballer_15
    Freshman

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Rick... while your at it... Empty Re: Rick... while your at it...

Post by southballer_15 Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:14 pm

rick just put the dam post back
    Achiever
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2008-11-02

Post by Achiever Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 pm

I didnt get a chance to check the thread before it was taken down.
    What did Hooptown have to say about my explanation of what libel is?
    Apparently the fact that they took the whole thing down makes me think somebody didn't bother reading up on defamation...
    Big D
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Big D Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Is Hooptown in Ro Russel's pocket? That article was a great read. There is no logical reason why it would be pulled. It wasn't defamatory, despite the fact that it left little to the imagination.

Is this a forum worthy of reading, and responding to? Should I be concerned that we're not hearing the whole truth.

Let's get real.
    Big D
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Big D Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Ignore my post. My apologies. I found the article.
    ThaIceman
    Freshman

Number of posts : 38

Post by ThaIceman Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Sorry boys, I wonder if it was my post that got the thread pulled. I am absolutely astounded that Rick has chosen to pull these types of threads!!! The reason being that a lot of kids have been chewed up and spit out by "he who shall not be named" he has far more failures compared to his "successes" Kids need to know that is more to life and university than just being able to play somewhere for another four years. We should follow up on guys like Antwi and find out how much farther they are really ahead. Rick, you should be disgisted with yourself. They are future players out there that are only going to read the "sunshine and lollipops" stories about you know who and get sucked into one of his deals or schemes and get burned. You will partially to blame, your censorship where he is concerned is doing a disservive to all members of the board, never mind what it is doing to your reputation. May we should all go onto the hoop-la, where freedom of speech is still valued!!! Like Rick's integrity, I'm out!!! afro
    outoftowncoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Post by outoftowncoach Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 pm

As a coach, parent, basketball fan I have wondered about the AAU scene for a while, as within a few years I will have kids and parents who will ask about this summer avenue for their kids.

Some of the people mentioned in this post (grassroots/cia/bounce) are people I have wondered about, some of the stories hear make you think? (there are always 2 sides to a story, and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle).

This forum is a tool that many of us use to educate ourselves about basketball and the people whom may at some point be involved with our children or ones we coach.

There have been many great points talked about in the original post (Especially coach Phillipe last point about coaches here in Canada having the ability of US counterparts without the professional environment...how nice would it be to be compensated for the countless hours for volunteer coaching? Many of us probably put in more time coaching than in our paying jobs)

I had really enjoyed the comments in the post, it was educational, as a public forum you must allow free discussion as long as you (Rick) protect yourself from libel/slander as someone earlier touched on

I am not sure locking this post was the best decision......I will continue to check back daily (usually more than daily), however I am now skeptical of the procedures.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Like I said before, I was asked to take down the thread and I did. Over the years I have had requests to take down threads/posts and I have done so.....especially if the request comes from a player.
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:00 pm

[quote="petro"]Please erase the SI link that I originally posted... Why... because I asked!

Erasing what people wrote is simply in violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom. A lot could have been learned if this thread was kept alive.[/quote]

Petro, that is just silly lol
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 pm

I am pissed... I put a lot of time and thought into my last post.

I was careful with the words I chose and felt that I contributed positively to the discussion.

I felt my last response would garner further discussion... and that I was very much looking forward to reading.

Knowing how "he who shall not be named" operates... I know he can take care of himself... he has thick skin... and that he is driven and passionate about what he does... and any negative talk won't stop him from doing what he does best... so why do you feel the need to censor and to protect someone who doesn't need protection.

Rick... this was very shallow on your part - that you don't see the bigger picture! Even if we all don't agree with each other... we can still contribute our opinions and learn from one another.
    ball4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by ball4life Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 pm

In Rick's defense!! If it is that a player has asked to take it down then we should respect tha! The names of a lot of kids were posted in the thread! As a parent myself, some families may not have been happy with the names of their children being dragged into the discussion!

They also have rights! So Rick is this is truly the case, sorry for the "passion" that the thread took but I hope the person/persons that made that request realize how much the ugly side of bball affects everyone!
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Rick;
    Despite all the criticism your getting right now just know that this website is valued and appreciated by GTA ball lovers of all generations.

Keep doing your thing and what you feel is best for your site. We might not all agree, but you are the moderator.

Let the haters Hate.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 pm

petro,

I agree with you, and I understand why you would be upset. However, at the same time, I was asked to take down the thread and I did. I am not protecting Ro Russell, I am simply taking down a thread that I was asked to take down.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 pm

[quote="ball4life"]In Rick's defense!! If it is that a player has asked to take it down then we should respect tha! The names of a lot of kids were posted in the thread! As a parent myself, some families may not have been happy with the names of their children being dragged into the discussion!

They also have rights! So Rick is this is truly the case, sorry for the "passion" that the thread took but I hope the person/persons that made that request realize how much the ugly side of bball affects everyone![/quote]

I didn't mean to mislead you in my earlier comment. The request to remove the post in this incident did not come from a player or a parent of one of the mentioned players.

However, when players contact me, I take those requests very seriously, because I don't want kids to feel offended, especially if they feel offended by an adult.
    44syracuse
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by 44syracuse Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Back at it , I too was stunned that the topic was locked down because given some of the offbase remarks directed towards my commentary I certainly was provoked into further discussion that I hoped would sway people to a realistic point of view on matters surrounding this subject . Without stepping out of bounds I must add that still some of you feel encroached upon ( outoftowncoach ) regarding summer basketball for the youth in your communities ! You portray this cloak and dagger environment where guys in trench coats lurk behind barriers in your gyms and when you are not looking go " Psssst" to your most talented cats and offer them milk and honey and thus snuff them away never to be seen again until you read about them next in some US daily ! I mean get off that treadmill already.
    The dude we cannot mention is a CANADIAN who I am confident takes great pride in that, particularily when he kicks some US ass in AAU ball . More important, the players themselves they remain CANADIAN , Tristan Thompson, and I hope coach Rautins reads this ,should be afforded an opportunity to try out for the senior men's National Team, he is ready to be exposed to that level. I would have to agree if coaches were renumerated for their invaluable time we would by definition have more qualified and better prepared players here , but that is a deeper discussion and some years away if ever. Hockey my friends is many years ahead of our beloved game in this regard.
    When Mr. Outoftowncoach states that he has heard stories that make you think about AAU programs, well he is implying unsavory activities on behalf of such programs that he alludes to in his posting. Simple, keep your community of players away from these programs if you feel the slight bit of concern. Do not complain because your program has not evolved to the capacity of others you may compete against, just forge ahead and continue to develop if you are confident in your ability to do so. I have personally heard opposing coaches who got throttled by Grassroots or Bounce say that if they had the resources or recruited like them that they would be better, well go F'n ahead and do it!! Nobody is putting ANY restrictions on you good people to be the best. There exists no monopoly in hording the best at one location, and you MUST assume that if you should be developing a future star that people will hear about him and once it's out of the bag ,there will immediately be a tug of war to get that stud in an opposing camp ! Are you so naive, that you are not aware of corporations with the means who each and every day recruit young stars of industry and commerce under their umbrella , I mean give your head a shake, this is high stakes poker , I say this because of my earlier point that I am very confident some of the young men mentioned on this discussion board will in a few years become multi millioniares as NBA players , so indeed these shark infested recruiting waters require some heady sailing and is not for the faint of heart and thin skinned haters !
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm

[quote="petro"]Erasing what people wrote is simply in violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom.[/quote]

Unless HooptownGTA has suddenly become a government agency, the Charter does not apply to it.
    Only The Truth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Only The Truth Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 pm

So basically what your saying is that ro said to take it down and you did???????? What’s going on here ……you seem to be very selective in what you take down. I wish coach Hurley could have seen his name being dragged through the mud by Ro in his post (whoever wrote it for him).

Any way, I hope you start to be fair and let people speak and if someone has a problem they should be man enough to come on here and defend themselves or give there side.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 pm

[quote]Despite all the criticism your getting right now just know that this website is valued and appreciated by GTA ball lovers of all generations.[/quote]

Agreed 100%. But in that I guess that's why I'm dissappointed the thread was erased.

To Rimrocker... what are you trying to say about gov't agency? Canadaina Charter of Rights and Freedom apply to every living soul in this country.

FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS.
    2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
    (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
    (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    (d) freedom of association.

Technically... this could be applied to this website
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 pm

Technically...it could not.

Petro, I'm afraid you misunderstand the Charter. It is a set of rights we have in relation to the government. It prevents the government from violating our rights but it has nothing to do with private relationships. There is an Ontario Human Rights Code that covers this though it would not apply to this message board since removing your post does not deprive you of any meaningful benefit such as employment, shelter, etc. nor does it constitute harassment. In signing up for an account you agreed to abide by the policies of this board which includes the moderator's right to remove posts.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 pm

[quote="Only The Truth"]So basically what your saying is that ro said to take it down and you did???????? What’s going on here ……you seem to be very selective in what you take down. I wish coach Hurley could have seen his name being dragged through the mud by Ro in his post (whoever wrote it for him).

Any way, I hope you start to be fair and let people speak and if someone has a problem they should be man enough to come on here and defend themselves or give there side.[/quote]

How can I seem very selective in what I take down? Coach Hurley did not send me an email requesting to take a post down. I don't think I have ever left up a thread that I was asked to take down. So am I not being selective.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 pm

I think the previous thread that got deleted had started to explore some important issues, that have nothing to do with AAU basketball.

1) How coaches are treated in the US vs Canada
    2) Lack of full scholarships in Canada

I don't understand why the whole thread was deleted compared to a few specific posts.

Whatever the reasons though, Rick I personally appreciate you running this site. Thank you for the time you put into this.

Since we are discussing deleted threads. A while back I posted a thread about a high profile coaches clinic that is visiting Canada this spring. Why was that deleted?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 pm

panathas,

Send me an email with the details.
    Only The Truth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Only The Truth Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 pm

So all someone has to say to you is take a post down and you'll do it????
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........strange but it's your call!!
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:03 am

[quote="Only The Truth"]So all someone has to say to you is take a post down and you'll do it????
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........strange but it's your call!![/quote]

Yes, if someone emails me to take down a thread/post, then I take it down. However, it's not like I get those type of requests on a daily basis or even weekly. Months can go by without anyone making that type of request.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

Ok Rick with the understanding that you had a request from a player to remove it....was said player feeling attacked? this is a basketball website and the message board is a great place to have open discussion about the sport. I formally am requesting that the OFSAA threads be taken down, as well as any thread related to scores. Just send all information to Rick and have him decide what is board worthy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:23 pm