HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+11
T-money
wcbasketball
RealBall
btownfan
stevelogan92
DaKidMusclez
loveball
greenlight
bronbron23
caddykid5
44syracuse
15 posters

CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!!

44syracuse
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!! Empty CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!!

Post by 44syracuse Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I sure hope I can get a witness to what has to be the greatest game between any two teams in any SPORT !! Syracuse outlasted mighty UConn in 6 OT's and it has put the college hoops world on its ear .
    Johnny Flynn of SU ( 34 pts ,11 assists, 9 rebs ,6 steals last night/early this morning) is the NEXT Chris Paul and if the RAPTORS scouts were paying attention ( they should dump everybody in the backcourt for this kid ) he is going to be an NBA all-star, but I seriously doubt anyone on their staff has that kind of foresight.
    Well you can see my user name and figure out very quickly what SU hoops means to me , but for whoever saw that EPIC game evolve ,rest assured you will never see something like it again !!! I just hope that some folks let their young ballers stay up to see HISTORY and also to understand what the real meaning of being tough at crunch time is !!
    caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 505
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!! Empty Re: CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!!

Post by caddykid5 Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:17 pm

NEW YORK -- Syracuse and Connecticut played a game for the ages Thursday night and into early Friday. When it was over, everybody in Madison Square Garden was exhausted and, except for the losing team, exhilarated.

Telling someone that Syracuse (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 18 AP) beat Connecticut (No. 4 ESPN/USA Today, No. 3 AP) 127-117 in six overtimes in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament is equivalent to saying there's a star in the sky.

There's more, so much more.

"I've got no words," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said when asked to describe the second-longest Division I game ever. "I've never been prouder of any team I've coached."

There were the numbers, from the 3 hours, 46 minutes it took to play the game that ended at 1:22 a.m., to the combined 244 points, 102 of which came after the regulation buzzer, to the eight players who fouled out, to the six who registered double-doubles.

And that wasn't nearly all. Just ask Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn, who had 34 points and 11 assists in a game-high 67 minutes, only 3 fewer than were played.

"I just wanted to get the game over with," he said. "I was thinking, 'Lord, just get this game over with. Whoever wins the game, let's just get it over with.'"

Game Facts

• Eight players fouled out of the game -- four on each team.

• The teams combined for 103 field-goal attempts and 102 points in OT (211 total attempts in the game).

• Syracuse shot 23-for-26 from the line in overtime (17-25 prior to OT).

• Connecticut was 11-for-22 from the free-throw line in regulation.

• Syracuse never led in overtime prior to the sixth extra period.

-- ESPN research

Much earlier in the evening, West Virginia beat No. 2 Pittsburgh 74-60, meaning that instead of a much-anticipated third meeting between two teams that held the No. 1 ranking this season in the semifinals, it will be sixth-seeded Syracuse (No. 20, No. 18) and the seventh-seeded Mountaineers.

"I can't even feel my legs right now," Flynn said. "It was a tough game, we battled it out, but we have to turn it around -- today -- and face a tough team in West Virginia."

Top-seeded and fifth-ranked Louisville will meet fourth-seeded Villanova (No. 13, No. 10) in the other semifinal.

Andy Rautins hit a 3-pointer 10 seconds into the sixth overtime, giving the Orange their first lead since regulation.

"We needed to get one tip and sure enough we had the set play and we had Andy coming off a set screen and boom, he made it," Boeheim said. "That was pretty big."

The game finished one overtime short of the record set in Cincinnati's 75-73 victory over Bradley on Dec. 21, 1981.

Paul Harris had 29 points and 22 rebounds, while Eric Devendorf had 22 points and Rautins had 20, all but two on 3-pointers.

The Orange made 40 of 51 free throws, but Connecticut made just 24 of 42.

"We lost the game because we turned the ball over 27 times and couldn't make a foul shot," Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said.

A.J. Price had 33 points and 10 assists for the Huskies (27-4), while Stanley Robinson had 28 points and was one of three Connecticut players with 14 rebounds. Hasheem Thabeet had 19 points, 14 rebounds and six of the Huskies' 16 blocked shots.

What will almost be forgotten as this game is recounted over the years was that it was nearly over before even one overtime was played.

Up All Night

Syracuse needed six overtimes to edge rival Connecticut in its Big East quarterfinal win. Here's a look at how the extra stanzas played out, by the numbers, at MSG:
    Six Overtime Periods Syracuse Connecticut
    Points 56 46
    Rebounds 27 31
    Turnovers 5 9
    FG 15-43 15-49
    FT 23-26 13-20

Connecticut's Kemba Walker, one of the smallest players on the court, grabbed a loose rebound and laid it in with 1.1 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 71. After a Syracuse timeout, Harris ran the baseline and threw an inbounds pass past midcourt that was deflected by Connecticut's Gavin Edwards to Devendorf, who let a shot go from about 28 feet just as the red lights around the backboard went off.

It went in, and Devendorf jumped up on the courtside press table, pounding his chest and screaming as his teammates reached up and pulled him down to the court.

The play was reviewed -- as are all shots near the end of halves -- and veteran officials John Cahill and Bob Donato watched replay after replay, finally stepping back and ruling the shot was late, sending the game into the first overtime 5-minute overtime.

It wouldn't end until six of them were played.

"It would have been a lot better if they just counted Eric's shot and we could have gone home 2 hours ago," Boeheim said, "but that's the way it goes."

Connecticut took the lead in each of the first five overtimes, but Syracuse found a way to come back in all of them. Rautins' 3 to start the sixth overtime gave the Orange their first lead since 71-69 with 27 seconds to go in regulation.

"It's a loss. There was something historic about the game, certainly," Calhoun said. "Both teams competed. Rautins' big 3, A.J.'s big plays. ... I'm sure in the summertime I'll look back at what a historic battle it was. Right now, it's a loss.

"We wanted to play tomorrow night, and playing Friday night in Madison Square Garden, playing in the semifinals, is pretty special."

The first overtime ended tied at 81-81 when Walker ducked between two Syracuse players for a 3-point attempt at the buzzer that was short.

The second overtime almost had an ending for the ages when Walker let go with a shot from just inside midcourt that bounced off the back of the rim, leaving it tied at 87.

Connecticut scored the first six points of the third overtime, and the Huskies were still ahead by six on Jeff Adrien's follow dunk with 2:08 left. Harris scored consecutive field goals for Syracuse, and after Price made one free throw with 21 seconds left for a 98-95 lead, Rautins hit a 3 with 11 seconds left to tie it. Price missed a 3 and Adrien was off with the rebound, and it was time for the fourth overtime, making this the longest Big East tournament game.

Price missed a drive with 10 seconds left in the fourth overtime and Harris had two shots blocked in the final seconds to send it to No. 5 tied at 104.

Price took an NBA-distance 3-pointer with 6 seconds left in the fifth overtime and it bounced off the rim to Adrien, who was short with a jumper at the buzzer, leaving the game tied at 110.

The players were exhausted and most of the sellout crowd of 19,375 was still in the seats, or at least standing in front of them, for the sixth overtime.

Because four players from each team fouled out, players who rarely saw action all season were on the court in the final 5 minutes.

The only previous triple-overtime game in Big East tournament history was Syracuse's 83-80 victory over Villanova in the 1981 championship game, just the second one ever played. That game featured Leo Rautins of the Orange, Andy's father.

"The triple-overtime game was an unbelievable game," said Boeheim, who was still a relative newcomer on the sidelines then. "I think it'd be hard to top this game."
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!! Empty Re: CUSE VS UCONN was the greatest game in team sports HISTORY!!

Post by bronbron23 Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 pm

i saw this game last night and it was actually unbelievable, both teams were fighting and both teams were dead lol but cuse just had a bit extra,, by the 5th overtime there were walk ons making big plays lol
    greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by greenlight Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 pm

ye, watched it.. game was bonkers still... and ye, i was crackin up wen announcers were talkin bout some walk-on who had just got his first rebound of the season LOL
    greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by greenlight Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 pm

andy rautins hit some clutch shots for cuse and helped em get over the hump
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 pm

[quote="44syracuse"]I sure hope I can get a witness to what has to be the greatest game between any two teams in any SPORT !! Syracuse outlasted mighty UConn in 6 OT's and it has put the college hoops world on its ear .
    Johnny Flynn of SU ( 34 pts ,11 assists, 9 rebs ,6 steals last night/early this morning) is the NEXT Chris Paul and if the RAPTORS scouts were paying attention ( they should dump everybody in the backcourt for this kid ) he is going to be an NBA all-star, but I seriously doubt anyone on their staff has that kind of foresight.
    Well you can see my user name and figure out very quickly what SU hoops means to me , but for whoever saw that EPIC game evolve ,rest assured you will never see something like it again !!! I just hope that some folks let their young ballers stay up to see HISTORY and also to understand what the real meaning of being tough at crunch time is !![/quote]

Last nights game was incredible, I saw all the overtime and the 2nd half. This is about the 5th-6th full Syracuse game I have watched this year, including one in person (Louisville at Cuse last month). The reason I am saying this is because I have gotten a good look at Jonny Flynn. Without him Syracuse would suck...period! However, buddy... dont be silly. What are you saying is just plain and simple silly, there is no other explanation. Jonny Flynn is the next Chris Paul ? The Raps should dump there backcourt for him? Dude Jonny Flynn is really good, he'll be a late first round pick. However Chris Paul? Come on man... CP is the best PG in the NBA. The same way Jonny Flynn is Cuse's whole team... CP is whole team, and turned a . team into a western confrence power house in the NBA. CP has a few inches on him, way more muscle on him, a jump shot, amazing court vision and court sense. If your EPIC foresight sees him gaining majority of these tools.. then we will talk lol .
    DaKidMusclez
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by DaKidMusclez Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 am

Flynn is overrated other than the fact that he played 60 something minutes, not much about his stat line shines very bright. Guys like Willie Warren, Evan Turner, Tyreke Evans are way better than him and i hope the Raptors draft one of these guys.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 am

Flynn is overated?

Does anybody even rate him right now?

Jonny Flynn can play!
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 am

This thread should be posted on the university / college board not here!(NCAA HOOPS)
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:48 am

I would take Flynn over Tyreke Evans.

Just a feeling he'll be a better pro, but I could be wrong.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:16 am

I watched the entire game and it certainly will go down in my top five. There were players who barely touched the floor all season playing due to both teams missing key starters who fouled out. You could see just how tired these kids were and they all showed guts. The fact that Syracuse won again last night in overtime shows you the type of team they are.
    Whoever said that Flynn is over-rated needs to give their head a shake. That kid is something special. Great , great game.
    caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Post by caddykid5 Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTDFuzt94TY
    caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Post by caddykid5 Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQUT1L4QR
    overated?
    i think not:)
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Post by bronbron23 Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 pm

Johnny Flynn isn't overrated because people don't talk about him as much as they should, he is an incredible PG, one of the top in the NCAA, i see him like a Deron Williams just because how strong he is at the basket and how he can finish, for the people that saw the game thursday night, you know what im talking about because he drove into thabeet numerous amount of times and probably won half of them and thats pretty impressive considering hes 6'1 and thabeet is 7'3 but with that all said and done i think tyreke evans will be the better player down the road
    T-money
    T-money
    Senior

Number of posts : 1210
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Post by T-money Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:54 pm

that was crazy 6 ot's
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:23 pm

While it was a very exciting game and, like most Ottawa natives, Syracuse is my favourite team, I still think the greatest NCAA game of all time was Duke-Kentucky in the Elite 8 in 1992.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/best_game/06/11/wolff.best/index.html
    44syracuse
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by 44syracuse Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Johnny Flynn, first of all, is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar , he is 6 ft and weighs 185 just look at his frame next time they are on air , he has the same build as Dwight Howard but obviously in smaller proportions but his shoulders are powerful and very strong legs , he absolutely punishes opponents when he drives into the lane . So to the dude who mistakenly said he is weaker than Chris Paul in fact the opposite is true Flynn has a more athletic powerful ,defensive back type of body . I stand by what I said earlier he will be a terrific NBA player because he is incredibly athletic, more so than Chris Paul and his ball skills are off the hook , he shoots it smoothly and clearly as he gaines more experience he will be able to adapt quickly to the more athletic NBA style which perfectly suits his natural skills. He has no peer in college and if CUSE makes a deep run in the tournament it will be 100% a function of his play , if they win like 3 games in the tourney he will rise from a projected mid to bottom of the first round into the lottery and again the Raptors have a serious chance to steal a marvelous pick in the first round . Tyreke Evans although a talented freshman for Memphis ,I feel will be exposed in the NBA because he does not shoot it well for a 2 gaurd and he is not overly athletic , he would be better served to CHILL another year at college . Flynn is the SHOW , believe it !! I speak from experience when I tell you that NBA scouts pay attention to his dribble separation skills , shot creation and his great court vision, all of which are considerably better than Ty Lawson or Sherron Collins . He will be the first point gaurd taken in June's draft and I sure hope the Raptors address this issue , hell they could use Calderon at the 2 spot a lot of times because Flynn WILL ATTRACT ATTENTION , they really cannot make a better pick !!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I dont know about the first point taken in this years draft. He isnt even projected to declare this year. NbaDraft net has him going at 19 in 2010.

Flynn is good! I like his game but Teague will og before him I believe if he does declare for this years draft.

Mind you I am saying this before the tournament and his draft stock could rise big time in a couple games.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Also,

If Flynn decides to stay. He will be in competition in 2010 with Kemba Walker who is going to be a real player next year.

Ricky Rubio, John Wall, Sheron Collins, Patrick Mills, Nick Wise,Nick Calathes are all point guards that Jonny will be upagainst in 2010. Assuming he stays.
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Johnny Flynn will most likely leave after this Final Four tournament, his stock is sky-high right now after that Big East Tourney run.

The thing that sets Flynn apart from guys like Teague (Wake Forest) is his strength. This kid is solid, built for the pro game.
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:37 pm

greatest game(one of them any way)
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Post by bronbron23 Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am

I'm kind of getting off topic from this post but whatever

who are the top 5 NCAA point guards ? (no order)

1) Ty Lawson- UNC
    2) Johnny Flynn- SYR
    3) Jeff Teague- WF
    4) Darren Collison- UCLA
    5) A.J. Price- UCONN/ Stephon Curry- DAV
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 am

A.J Price is a point guard?....
    but tru say to what someone said that tyreke evans should stay one or two more years just to become more athletic for the nba and to work on his shooting and/or shooting mechanics
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Price is the starting point on UConn.
    kidlebron23
    kidlebron23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Post by kidlebron23 Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 pm

1) Stephen Curry-Davidson (This is his first year playing point gaurd, so I'm second thoughts about even listing him as a point gaurd)
    2) Ty Lawson- UNC
    3) A.J. Price-UCONN
    4) Darren Collison-UCLA
    5) Johnny Flynn-SU

H.M. Jeff Teague-WF, Sherron Collins-KAN, Levance Fields-PITTS, Eric Maynor- VCU

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am