HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+2
Coach Clement
BEasy
6 posters

Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine

BEasy
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine Empty Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine

Post by BEasy Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4338300
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine Empty Re: Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine

Post by Coach Clement Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Great to see those comments about Mo.

He deserves them he's worked hard on those aspects of his game!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine Empty Re: Kadeem Greene and Mo Walker Continue to Shine

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 am

Mo is new to the scouts south of the border but is quickly drawing attention.

He has jumped to the #9 rank in Centers and has been graded out at a 93.

His stocks will continue to rise imo! cheers
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:57 am

Here's another feature on Mo from the cuttingdownnets website:

Maurice Walker
    July 22, 2009

Maurice Walker is emerging on the scene this summer as an intriguing big man in the class of 2010. Maurice’s is gaining the attention of several college programs with his continued hard work. He stands in at a legit 6′10 and a trimmed down 255 pounds, and offers good hands and skills around the basket.

This summer Maurice has participated in several events with his Team Takeover Canada AAU Team. Maurice has faired well recently in Cincinnati and West Virginia with several top coaches present. The rest of his summer schedule will consist of Las Vegas this week and Portland, Oregon for the Nike Global Games. Constantly being active has done wonders for Maurice this spring and summer with shaping his body and becoming more explosive, “I’ve been busy, just getting back from West Virginia, but once things wind down, I’ll be working out everyday.”

Maurice, a very bright young man with great grades throughout High School, will attend Brewster Academy this coming fall. Often a stop for those looking to improve in the classroom, for Maurice it will give him a head start on education, while focusing on basketball. “I’m going to get my body ready and prepare myself.” From a basketball standpoint, Maurice feels he needs to work on, “My athleticism, explosiveness, and I don’t know if I can work on it with drills, but my consistency.” Maurice did point his strength’s currently to be, “My dominance in the key and I think I’m a pretty good passer, too.” At times in High School basketball in even more so in AAU settings, it can be difficult for big men to receive the ball and have as much of an impact as guards do. When asked, Is that frustrating at all, Maurice’s response was, “Yeah, sometimes. But I try to not let it bother me. I can impact other ways than scoring. Sometimes the game is up and down and that’s just how it is.” Maurice’s eagerness to improve and grow on and off the court coupled with that type of selflessness makes him all the more intriguing to college programs.

According to Maurice the school list he has now consists of, “Georgetown, Texas A&M, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Memphis, Kentucky, Nebraska, DePaul, Buffalo and Purdue.”

Contrary to recent reports, Maurice’s mother did not attend Georgetown University. “A quote from Maurice was taken out of context. But Georgetown is my favorite, just not where I went to school,” Mrs. Walker said with a laugh. Coach John Thompson III has been in contact with the family and Maurice said he noticed JTIII watching him in Cincinnati and West Virginia.

Mrs. Walker does not mind if Maurice chooses to play far away from home, “I’m fine with wherever Maurice chooses. But we are talking about the academic record of the school. Your dream is to play professionally, but anything can happen and you have to have an education to fall back on. At some places athletes just squeak by to graduate or may not even graduate. We don’t want that. It’s important he grows as a better person all around.” Mrs. Walker attended York University and is an educator herself currently.

Maurice and his mother said he will take a visit to Georgetown in August, and Pittsburgh just this past week was attempting to schedule a visit. From the academic side, Maurice is not sure yet as to what he would like study in college, something they can look into while on their visits. Maurice did point out that he does prefer to play in the Big East. Georgetown, as it’s well known has had a tremendous run over the past 25 years of developing big man. From Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Michael Sweetney, Roy Hibbert and to current big man Greg Monroe. Pitt has had some success under Jamie Dixon recently putting both Aaron Gray and DeJuan Blair into the NBA as well. Maurice said, “For sure.” When asked about if that is part of his thought process in looking at schools.

Pairing with Will Barton this coming season should make Brewster an exciting team to watch, and Maurice is sure to continue to achieve on and off the floor at the New Hampshire School.

My guess is, Maurice can and will succeed in any venue he chooses.

Leave a Comment » | Uncategorized | Permalink
    Posted by alleninxis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Nice write up. Hopefully Big Mo continues to work hard and continues to gather success from his hard work!
    theVET
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-07-28

Post by theVET Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 am

I have seen this young man play and practice and i am still indifferent about his work ethics

Maurice Walker is young (2010) and needs to understand that work ethics and skill development can make him look so much better in the eyes of university coaches. He is definitely one player that's playing too many game in the summertime and not working (productively) on his skillsets. Believe me, it shows!

Any coach or scout that see him play will question those two element of his basketball character while saying, he has strong upside, if.......

If..... he keeps his weight under control;

if.... he develops a jump hook and a dropstep (when I say develop I mean develop to the point where he is shooting 7 jump hooks in a game and make 4, where he can use his dropstep multiple times off the left or the right pivot foot and be effective with either hand).

If.... he can be the loudest player (because he is the tallest player and can see everything) on the defensive end of the floor telling his teammates what's going on. eg; Watch the screen, I got the board, etc.

If....he stops shooting 3's (in American colleges they will not want him to shoot that shot) and develop more of a mid-range jumper off the post.

So much more can be said here but my main fear for this young man is if he ends up at a school like a Georgetown (which I doubt) and does not get any playing time.

I have seen thousands of players get depressed and home sick from a lack of playing time. In Mo's case this could mean weight problems if he does not have a strong work ethics.

The American University scene can be very cruel and unforgiving and recruiting the nxt big is always on these coaches mind.

Play Less, Train More, and everything will be ok in his case
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:37 am

Some more props for Big Mo at the Nike Global Challenge. Part of a post on Canada-Senegal semi-final.

This was a post on OregonLive.com

"The game is still close, and I am getting a greater appreciation for the game of Team Canada's Maurice Walker with every passing moment. The guy is amazing around the rim. If he has the ball underneath, it's two points. Automatic. He has those soft hands that coaches talk about, and what seems like a 6th sense in terms of knowing how to go up with the ball against a defender. He always seems to pick the right angle. I also really like his shot. His release is a little slow, but he has this super high-arching jumper that looks like he's trying to touch the ceiling with each attempt. Fun player to watch. Keep an eye out for him in the future."
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 am

Coachbob... haven't seem Mo in a long time... how much is he weighing in now?

Great news for him on a personal level... great news for the team.

Always admired Mo's disposition.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:15 am

Mo has firmed up quite a bit. I think he is around 250 or so right now.

He has definitely improved in transition. Coach Gallacher pushed him every practice.

I agree he is one of the easiest kids to coach I have ever encountered. Nothing seems to faze him he never complains even with the inevitable pounding he receives on a regular basis.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:29 am

He must be wonderful to coach... his calm demeanor is evident from the bleachers.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 am

I have not had the opportunity to be the head coach that often with Blues this year but I had a couple of chances. This was one.

Mo was coming off surgery and I knew he was hurting and we were facing Blessed Sacrament who were Provincial favourites at the time. I went to him before the game and asked, "Mo you good to start this one?"

I knew he was hurting but his response was what you would want your from your stud player.

"Coach, its your call"

He is quite a young man!
    HighRanked12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-08-09

Post by HighRanked12 Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Congrats to mo he has had a fantastic year and I am pretty sure that he will have a lot of success next year at the school that he going to be attending.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm