HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
CoachPaul
bballfan
Tango
thehoopfactory
8 posters

Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update

thehoopfactory
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update Empty Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update

Post by thehoopfactory Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:13 pm

This is what being in the gym everyday for three weeks and then going to play in a tournament will do for you.

check out the write up on myck in the link below

Also read Tristan Thompsons evaluation and then think about what he's been doing this summer. Not to take anything away from Tristan but are the people around him truly developing him

This is another example of why our best kids need to be taken aside and developed and spend less time playing for rankings and schools. At the end of the day the only ranking that matters is on draft night. If we develop our own we become the key ingredient, not an American prep school. This is where basketball in Canada needs to go. Into player development. We need to take on the responsibility of developing our own talent and not expect someone else to do it. If we are able to create an environment to do this we can change the face of basketball in Canada. If we are able to train and build our own basketball players we change the entire game here. Its not a matter of of talent in Canada, its a matter of talent not being developed. I don't know how many of you know this but as i learned on my recent trip to China. Yao Ming, C for the Rockets, was a gov't run basketball project. His parents were introduced and set up to try and produce a giant basketball player. He was then trained and developed until two American business men came into the picture and starting working on getting him out and over to the states. Pick up Operation Yao Ming. This is obviously a bit extreme by western standards but stil,l its just something to think about.

we have to start producing our own sometime

click on the links below

http://flagrantfouls.com/2009/07/adidas-super-64-player-evaluations/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCQkSpq4KJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_CsqLrjZSQ[center]

www.thehoopfactory.com
    Building Better Ballers

call 585-764-0999 to register or email vidal@thehoopfactory.com
    Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update Empty Re: Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update

Post by Tango Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Well said Hoop, I beg to second your observation. I think the talent drain is killing our high school programs here in Canada. I have spoken to a number of notable coaches here in Canada and all of them share your sentiment. I don't think we have to send our most talented players to the states to get exposure. Scouts will find them no matter where they are, besides, a number of our best players are already members of AAU teams that play in the U.S., so exposure is not a problem.

The report on Tristan Thompson and Myck Kabongo is disappointing. I think that of all the talent that we have here in Canada, Thompson has the best chance of playing in NBA, and definitely somewhere else if not in the best league in the world. So, to hear that he has not improve has come as a surprise to me. I saw him at Ryerson last year and he looked very good.

Having said that, I still believe that Thompson has developed an attitude that he needs to get rid of quickly. My sources have told me that his head is getting too big and that has lead to his expulsion from St. Benedicts. I can't really comment on Kabongo because I have no inside sources to get information.

Having 15 studs on a team is stupid for lack of a better word. No one can develop or let alone showcase his talent if minutes are hard to come by. But then again, everyone is flocking to Grassroots believing that Ro is a saviour. A number of players who played for him have gotten scholarships and the current crop of players think they will end up somewhere in the states as they predecessors, so go figure.

For you young players, don't think that you have to move to the states to get a scholarship, scouts will find you no matter where you are, trust me on that. However playing for an AAU team is a good idea that will get you additional exposure. Remember, that playing over there is not for everyone.

Last edited by Tango on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    thehoopfactory
    Freshman

Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update Empty Re: Myck Kabongo and tristan in Vegas...update

Post by thehoopfactory Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Just to clear some things up, when i talk about development im specifically talking about skill development. Fundamentals. You don't improve by playing more games, you improve by practicing. The AAU circuit does serve a purpose and has some value, but if that's all these kids are doing in the summer they will never have the skill set as a kid coming from a good HS program in the states or a club team in Europe. AAU coaches are not known for developing talent, they simply get the best talent and showcase it. You cant expect the AAU coaches to fix this problem. There needs to be much more of a balance. Ro may take these kids on some trips and expose them to college coaches which is great, but what our kids here in Canada are lacking is not exposure its fundamentals and guidance.
    bballfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by bballfan Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Thank you Hoopfactory for saying what needed to be said!!! I am tired of people saying that in the US you have better development, facilities, etc. While that may be true, why aren't there more people here in Canada willing to fix the problem instead of going with the status quo???

We have so many knowledgeable trainers, coaches, etc but several do not work together they seem to be competing against each other. Imagine if they all got together and work for the good of the future of Canada!!!

Thank you to those who are trying to make a difference (even on your own) and not settling with the status quo!!!
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 pm

The summer AAU tournament schedule is there for the precise reason you've mentioned. To showcase talent. You've trained all year long, now its time to play against the best players on the continent to prove to yourself that you have what it takes to be the best.

As far as developing players goes, there's only so much that a highschool coach (or OBA coach) can do for you. Having coached Mississauga Monarchs for years and Loyola Highschool I can tell you that there isn't enough gym time nor is there enough "coach" time to do the kind of development that is really required. The gym time is obvious. What might not be so obvious is that a coach has to donate his personal time to train you. Nobody here gets paid to do it like they do in the U.S. It doesnt matter if this is a teacher or a parent, somebody needs to donate their personal time to coach you. How many people do you know that are willing to give 20 or 30 hours a week to developing kids in basketball?

I'm sure that most teams are just like the ones I coached, where you might have practise 2 (sometimes 3) times a week for 2 hours. Thats 4 to 6 hours a week. The first half hour of any practise is usually spent warming up with some set of drills. The next hour is usually spent working on plays, defense, press break, etc. The last half hour is usually spent in some sort of game which is what the players really want.

Tell me where in that short span of time a coach is supposed to "work" on 12 individual players to drastically improve them. In my experience most players DO NOT work on the advise that their coaches have given them during practise. They go home and play street ball and work on stupid things like trying to dunk. Very very few of them actually work on their shot, their dribble, improving stamina, quickness, etc.

Unless "YOU" as a player practise for about 20 hours a week you WILL NOT become a great player.

The reason so many talented players have gone south is because of the amount of money that is pumped into the U.S. system to provide the facilities and coaching that these guys need. You just can get it here.

My son Nik played AAU for the first time this year. He "practised" with Grassroots for months before they played. The summer AAU season is the fruit of their labour. The exposure he's getting is unreal. He's received numerous scholarship offers to prep schools (and will be going to NAA this fall). He's already received 6 letters from U.S. colleges who have expressed interest based on his play in AAU.

I'd love it if Canada would get up off their ass and put some money into programs and facilities so that the U.S. wouldn't be the only option for serious players. This isn't going to happen any time soon.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:19 am

Normally, things start from the top and trickle down. Canada as a nation does not support sports (except for hockey) the way the US does. If our National Team is not getting the support, is under funded, and basically is in financial peril, I don't see things changing (financially) at the grass roots level anytime soon.

The positive change that I do see occurring is through groups like hoopfactory who have made it their business to take what they have learned and offer it to those who truly seek improvement.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 am

Very well put Hoopfactory! I couldn't agree more. What you do and I've barred witness, is good skill, strength and developmental practices that these kids need to implement in they're routines whether it be daily or. A couple days a week. Playing is big, practicing is key!!!
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post by keepingitreal Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:03 am

One of Tristan's biggest knocks last year was his slim frame...he spent the last year working hard and bulking up to 240lbs...right now Tristan is learning to operate and adjust to his new size...ftr Tristan is very focused and spends 3-6 hrs per day developing and training....also are you suggesting that Myck's game was developed over that 2 or 3 weeks? I suppose also that no credit should be granted to the 9 months at St Benedicts or the 2 months with the national team and Grassroots? I may be misinterpeting but the above statement appears to suggest that out of the 52 weeks of the last year, 49 were wasted and only the 3 spent with "Hoopfactory" were beneficial....this to me is the biggest problem in Canada....too many people trying to discredit or insult other programs that are trying to help our Canadian youth....as far as I can remember a certain person from "Hoopfactory" was assisted in receiving to St Bonaventure from this very same program that he's insulting....ain't that ironic....I pray for the day that people on this forum will stop speculating and only state the facts....
    thehoopfactory
    Freshman

Post by thehoopfactory Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 am

This last post is crazy. How can anyone be developed in three weeks at a camp? The point is Myck spent three weeks in the gym working on his game and went into an event ready to play. No credit is being taken. What for. Of course he has also developed at his school where he spends most of his time. But if you look at when players make their biggest improvements its over the summer when they can dedicate their time to adding something to their game. That's just facts. NBA players who are playing at the highest level spend their summers working on their games. Not playing.

And no ones insulting Grassroots. Its an AAU program. Its serves a purpose, But its not for developing. Is for exposure. I think we all agree that some of these kids no longer need exposure. The kids 9th in the 2011 mock draft.. Ive had enough expereince to see how countries around the world are developing their players. There's no way you can tell me we are doing that here in Canada. And Tristan doesn't not spend 3-6 hrs in the gm everyday. No need to lie. I speak to the kid.

when its all said i done my point is theres needs to be more of a balance between playing and spending time in the gym. Period

And there's nothing ironoic about me playing for grassroots when i was younger. Its the complete oppisite. I realized yrs later that my fundamentals where no where close to the players i was now competing against and no where close to the Jr players on my club professional teams in Europe. The reason being I spent all summer traveling trying to get "schools".

This has to stop. especially for our most talented players. Tristan is not spending 3-6 hrs per day the gym with a trainer. your just straight up lying.

If he did his weight would not be an issue. That's not all good weight.

You know who this is, i would love to know who im really speaking to.

You are far from" keeping it real" right now

Im not about picking sides or going back and forth to bash ppl. Ive played basketball in our country at every level and had a great experience doing it. I'm just for the development of the game in this country. If i see things going on that are fundamentally wrong then something has to be said.

I think everything i just wrote is "fact"

holla back
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post by keepingitreal Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am

Since school finished Tristan has been travelling all over the world(France, New Zealand, entire US etc)...he has not had the oppurtunity to train for 3 weeks straight but has been doing 3-6hrs/day since Monday when he returned from Vegas...if you talked to him you would know this...there is no need to lie...you make alot of good, correct statements about the development of the game in this country but you are also misinformed about what transpires in other clubs and kids at the same time...it appears that we all have the same goals but are unaware of it...I will call you later...
    druconn
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-07-29

Post by druconn Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:14 am

Tristan and Myck will now be heading to Dallas ([b]August 4th-8th[/b]) to play for Canada at adidas Nations. This should be a great opportunity for them to display their skills once again amongst the best 18 and under talent from all over the world. There will be a lot of eyeballs on these future Texas Longhorns. Canada has a very strong team with Tristan, Myck and Cory Joseph leading the way.

Check out the rest of the team here
    http://adidasnations.com/index.php?page=canada]http://adidasnations.com/index.php?page=canada

Last edited by druconn on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Both these kids are future stars, that work hard, play hard and dream even harder. I feel the both of you have the ability to bring the best out of each of these kids and they're games, just at different angles. Getting on the same page, could make the hump that our kids suffer,disappear and would be the best thing. I feel the goal should be making these kids fullfill they're dreams. Getting more faces into colleges and univeristies at either high NCAA D1, Mid Majors or even D2. If its taking the Canadian university route...that's ok too. Making them strong student athletes should also be in the mix of that dream but...the final step...is seeing more Canadian bouncin that rock in the NBA. We have the avenues making progress, the kids are hungrier...all we need is to...get on that PAGE...TOGETHER fellas!!! One!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 pm