HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
loveball
slamdunk
greenlight
BigRob54
8 posters

Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS

BigRob54
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-08-17

Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS Empty Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS

Post by BigRob54 Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 pm

So ive been a long time lurker but this is my first post hopefully everything works out well. Smile

I am currently Going into my gr12 year of highschool and have had thoughts about moving up to the next level (CIS).Some would say its a stretch but I am a smart person (IMO).Im just wondering how dominant does a player have to be to get noticed at the CIS level? I know it isnt all about the numbers but hypothetically someone averaging 30 pts a game is getting NCAA looks i would say?

I am center/forward 6'9 and 258lbs coming from a time when i was almost 330 lbs.

So just some rough ideas on what someone my size would have to be able to do to progress would be great i know there are
    very informed people on this board and would love some helpful advice
    greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS Empty Re: Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS

Post by greenlight Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:29 pm

you can average 30 ppg for your team and not get a single cis look, if ur team sorry as hell, yet u can average 10 for another team and get a d1 scholarship... depends on your competition and who you know. Now if your 6'9 like u said you are and 260, if you can make lay ups with either hand and be able to run up n down the court, then u will definately get cis looks. Size goes a long way - can't teach height
    slamdunk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS Empty Re: Opinions on moving up from highschool to CIS

Post by slamdunk Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:01 am

CIS recruiting season for 2010/11 begins in Sept. I suggest if you are serious about it and haven't been contacted, fill out the recruiting form online that some schools offer. Not all schools offer the recruiting form. All your stats will be presented to those that offer this. I am sure your height and weight will spark interest.
    Don't wait on this, as some coaches start their phone calls/emails/letters around the second week in Sept.
    *Did you play OBA or AAU? What region do you play HS ball?
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am

[quote="greenlight"]you can average 30 ppg for your team and not get a single cis look, if ur team sorry as hell, yet u can average 10 for another team and get a d1 scholarship... depends on your competition and who you know. Now if your 6'9 like u said you are and 260, if you can make lay ups with either hand and be able to run up n down the court, then u will definately get cis looks. Size goes a long way - can't teach height[/quote]

I agree.. If your at 6'9, 260, as long as you can get up and down the court, make lay ups with both hands consistently, hit jumpers somewhat consistently from 6-10 feet, have basic pivoting down pat (especially a drop step at your size would help), and just have a general basketball IQ, I think you will forsure get a CIS look. I wouldn't even be too suprised if some low level d1 teams show interest in you (if you showcase yourself properly.. you need to look into OBA, AAU, camps etc) if you already havent, it may be too late.
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 am

When I coached in the C.I.S., we would have players come in throughout the season. If you aren't playing for a program were you will be noticed (i.e. at big tournaments, OFSAA, games where coaches will be scouting), you need to make yourself known by emailing or telephoning the coach. No harm making a call now.

If those measurements are accurate, coaches would be interested. My next questions would be about general fitness, can you rebound and start the fast break, can you finish on the fast break, can you rebound at the offensive end and finish, do you have basic post moves (like loveball said a drop-step, maybe a McHale move or a Sikma move), and can you make FTs and jumpers from basic spots like the elbows?

You may not play that much in your first year but you would have lots of opportunities to work on your inside game and increase your range in practice. Some of the posts who fill out the end of the bench (now) at G.T.A. schools are among the hardest workers in preparation for next year or afterwards. Try to talk to your coach about staying after practice or coming in at lunch so you can get extra reps in on the blocks and from shooting spots.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by petro Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 am

Here's my two cents:

As much as you work on your skills.

Get on the track and run. Run your ass off.

Run reps of 30 yards... 60 yards... 90 yards... 200 yards... and 400 yards.

And two or three times a week go for a 5 k run (or build up to that.)
    greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by greenlight Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 pm

[quote="petro"]Here's my two cents:

As much as you work on your skills.

Get on the track and run. Run your ass off.

Run reps of 30 yards... 60 yards... 90 yards... 200 yards... and 400 yards.

And two or three times a week go for a 5 k run (or build up to that.)[/quote]

I wish there was a like button for this, like on facebook lol. Petro is 100% right, you don't even have to be skilled, if you can rebound the ball outlet it to your guard and beat your man down the court thats easy pts for you. And that is something that few big men can do.
    BigRob54
    Freshman

Post by BigRob54 Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice !

The Running Is something that sounds very plausible and an easy way to get going. I try to get out and do 25-30 minute runs but not nearly as much as i should. The Right hand left hand thing is a very good thing to hear as Im also a drummer and naturally I have developed my off hand alot (left) and left and right is almsot 0 difference.
    As far as the recruitment forms go would say the tryout requests on the Ryerson Rams website be a good example? Aside from Ryerson I also saw a Dedicated Recruitment form on the U of O website but it required a student applicant # which i dont have yet.
    slamdunk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by slamdunk Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 am

Don't limit yourself to 1 or 2 schools. If you want to stay in Ontario then fill them all out (the schools that offer the forms).
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 pm

I wouldn't follow the Ryerson example. Previous to last week's coaching change, Ryerson's recruiting was terrible, especially in the GTA. Their coaches rarely got out to watch prospects. I think the new coaches will be more hands on.

Some schools like Carleton don't have a form and ask you to contact the coach personally if you want a tryout. If you are a high school player, I expect the coach would want to hear about your size, a brief bio, and a schedule of your upcoming games.
    BigRob54
    Freshman

Post by BigRob54 Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks Alot guys and especially for the advice to send to alot of schools. I Filled out forms for every school i could and In just a single day I already had responses from 3 good univerities in the OUA.

Ill keep everyone updated on my future endeavours
    geno
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-08-22

Post by geno Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:12 am

I played against this guy, he goes to a Catholic school in a small town just East of Toronto. Titans, ring a bell bro? CIS is a stretch for you, considering you get a very few minutes a game, and your team is in a tough division against some of OFSAA's better teams, and you get bodied by them so it's a stretch to even go past high school. Props on losing the weight though, I knew you when you were about 6'7", big fella to say the least.
    BigRob54
    Freshman

Post by BigRob54 Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks for the props man it was hard but i put my work in. And yea im not gunna lie last year I didnt play nearly as tough as i needed to but Ive worked on it. No doubt CIS is a stretch but hard work cant hurt and as the saying goes you cant coach size. Razz

What School did you play for? I wasnt playing much early but I got more time later in the season when i dropped some weight
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by observer Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:39 pm

It also would be advisable for you to get into a strength and conditioning program. It is worth investing two or three hundred dollars in a personal trainer. Once you learn understand the exercises and techniques (which typically takes three or four lessons), you can stay on a similar program yourself. You need to explain to the personal trainer that you want a basketball oriented strength and conditioning workout.

In the off season, find a men's league to play in to play against older and more experienced players than yourself. This will also keep you in shape.

Also keep your academics in good order.

Good luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm