HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

4 posters

Too Many Games

Father Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Too Many Games Empty Too Many Games

Post by Father Time Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 am

I see the AAU/OBA tryouts are starting,seems to go all year and kids have little down time,skill development must be limited with all the games.I would like to see basketball players play at least 1 other sport so that they can miss their sport just a little and rekindle some of their passion.Last year I saw several teams play 50 or more H.S. games and looked burnt out.Then they start AAU/OBA immediately after.

What are your thoughts? affraid
    rec
    Freshman

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Too Many Games Empty Re: Too Many Games

Post by rec Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 am

OBA for high school aged kids doesn't start till after the high school season is over. The problem is that there may be a few coaches wanting to run practices during the school year. This is where it gets crazy. Practices and games for high school and then practices for rep all during the same week. No wonder there is burn out.
    Many rep coaches have tryouts now and then wait till school season is done before starting up. Thats the logical path to follow.

AAU teams can play during the school season but generally wait til spring/summer. Given that the NCAA scouts are limited to attending tournaments only in July, this takes away any purpose in participating in tournaments at any other time of year.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:59 pm

I would say that are a few OBA coaches who wait but there are still many who go right through the high school season.

Mother Teresa was getting a bit of a bad rep with some OBA people because Coach Gallacher does not allow his guys to play or practice during the high school season.

It is as much for academic reasons as for the fatigue factor both are legitimate reasons for limiting the players court time.

SBA was advocating that certain age groups be restricted from practicing during the high school season but their proposal was not passed so a majority of coaches do not agree it appears.
    Rick
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Rick Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 pm

One thing I like about the States, is that they limit the high school teams to a certain amount of games per season.

Also AAU ball does not start until the high school season is completed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 am