HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+10
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
stevelogan92
gator01
OnADime
jt
hoopsCanada
Mu2
Peel Fan
futurebigtimecoach
Prime Time
14 posters

Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs?

Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs? Empty Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs?

Post by Prime Time Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 pm

If Mount Carmel beats Goetz tomorrow (Tuesday February 9th) don't they deserve the number one seed in the Peel playoffs? They beat Campion at the Rimrocker. They lost to Fletchers at the Sheridan Cup without two of the starters. In my opinion Mount Carmel deserves the number 1 seed...
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2009-11-03

Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs? Empty Re: Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs?

Post by futurebigtimecoach Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm

isnt it based solely on reg season stats, points for and points against and the fact they would be 8-0??
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs? Empty Re: Does Mount Carmel derseve the #1 seed in the Peel Playoffs?

Post by Peel Fan Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:06 am

If D'Youville wins the North then they will get the #1 seed. They have been the best team in Peel since the start of the new year. Carmel will get second seed if they beat Goetz and Xavier will get the third seed since Carmel beat them convincingly the last time they played.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 am

Carmel definitely deserves the number one spot. They will be the only undeafeated team left in Peel (given that they win today). That says a lot
    !
    hoopsCanada
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2010-01-12

Post by hoopsCanada Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 pm

D'Youville was hands down the best team in peel this year, but Carmel did go UNDEFEATED... that has to have some meaning. Now if DY had gone undefeated then we wouldn't even be arguing giving the #1 seed to them since the north is the toughest division in peel.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Who cares if they beat Campion at the Rimrocker? Do you know how many times D'Youville has beaten Campion this year, THREE and once by almost 35 points. You have got to be kidding me if you think Carmel is better than D'Youville. Carmel is in such a weak division, the NORTH division is probably best in all of Ontario and D'Y just had a bad game at Notre Dame. Trust me, people know D'Y all around GTA, nobody even knows of Carmel. So you will be lucky to get #2 seed, because I bet Campion is better than you guys now, they are playing really good as of late.
    OnADime
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-12-16

Post by OnADime Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Someone tell this guy (who obviously heavily favours DY and Campion) that this isn't a popularity contest. The question was not whether which team was better but if Carmel deserves the top spot because they are undefeated. Which no other team in peel is. Your favourtism is outweighed by statistics friend.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm

[quote="jt"]Who cares if they beat Campion at the Rimrocker? Do you know how many times D'Youville has beaten Campion this year, THREE and once by almost 35 points. You have got to be kidding me if you think Carmel is better than D'Youville. Carmel is in such a weak division, the NORTH division is probably best in all of Ontario and D'Y just had a bad game at Notre Dame. Trust me, people know D'Y all around GTA, nobody even knows of Carmel. So you will be lucky to get #2 seed, because I bet Campion is better than you guys now, they are playing really good as of late.[/quote]

I guess JT is right when he says that D'Y deserves the number one seed. The peel north division is one of the toughest in the province (D'Y, Campion, ND, Ascension, and Sandalwood).

Thank you for your comments.
    jt
    Sophomore

Post by jt Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Thank you Prime Time for seeing through this logically. "OnADime" put D'Y into South Division and you tell me who goes undefeated? Mount Carmel just beat Goetz today only by 52-38. I hope you know at Sheridan Cup tourney D'Y beat Goetz 61-28, look at huge difference. It doesn't matter about stats, it matters about ENTIRE SEASON (what you do in other tournaments and how tough your division is). I bet you live in Mississauga, you guys already screwed Brampton over by giving wild card seed to Stephan Lewis just because they played more games than North teams. I bet Sandalwood or Ascension would smoke them.

BTW I aint hating on Mount Carmel I think they are maybe 2nd best in league I seen them play, they are good. It's either them or Campion who is second best in league. But there is no way MC is better than D'Y.
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 pm

[quote="jt"]Thank you Prime Time for seeing through this logically. "OnADime" put D'Y into South Division and you tell me who goes undefeated? Mount Carmel just beat Goetz today only by 52-38. I hope you know at Sheridan Cup tourney D'Y beat Goetz 61-28, look at huge difference. It doesn't matter about stats, it matters about ENTIRE SEASON (what you do in other tournaments and how tough your division is). I bet you live in Mississauga, you guys already screwed Brampton over by giving wild card seed to Stephan Lewis just because they played more games than North teams. I bet Sandalwood or Ascension would smoke them.

BTW I aint hating on Mount Carmel I think they are maybe 2nd best in league I seen them play, they are good. It's either them or Campion who is second best in league. But there is no way MC is better than D'Y.[/quote]

Jt,

I was at the Goetz Carmel game today. Carmel was up 27 points at the end of the third. Carmel also held Goetz to 6 first quarter points and 1 third quarter point. The only reason it turned into a 14 point game is because Goetz continued to full court press Carmels bench with their starters. If you want evidence tune in to highschool sports zone. Rogers was there to film the whole game.

Your always defending Campion how they are a top team and the 2nd best team blah blah blah. Your beloved Campion showed their true colours today. They tossed a game so they could avoid D'Youville. The best is never afraid to face the best whether it be the first round or semi finals. They just told every team in Ontario that they get scared. Some top Team. I hope fletchers knocks em out first round.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 pm

stevelogan92 wrote:

Jt,

I was at the Goetz Carmel game today. Carmel was up 27 points at the end of the third. Carmel also held Goetz to 6 first quarter points and 1 third quarter point. The only reason it turned into a 14 point game is because Goetz continued to full court press Carmels bench with their starters. If you want evidence tune in to highschool sports zone. Rogers was there to film the whole game.

Your always defending Campion how they are a top team and the 2nd best team blah blah blah. Your beloved Campion showed their true colours today. They tossed a game so they could avoid D'Youville. The best is never afraid to face the best whether it be the first round or semi finals. They just told every team in Ontario that they get scared. Some top Team. I hope fletchers knocks em out first round.

I agree why play a team in the finals and get smacked by 20? Rankings dont matter if you are the best team you are the best team PERIOD. If you should be the #1 seed and your the #5 seed does it matter? Youre going to play the best teams either in the finals or before the finals, might as well get it over with in my opinion.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 pm

[quote="jt"]Thank you Prime Time for seeing through this logically. "OnADime" put D'Y into South Division and you tell me who goes undefeated? Mount Carmel just beat Goetz today only by 52-38. I hope you know at Sheridan Cup tourney D'Y beat Goetz 61-28, look at huge difference. It doesn't matter about stats, it matters about ENTIRE SEASON (what you do in other tournaments and how tough your division is). I bet you live in Mississauga, you guys already screwed Brampton over by giving wild card seed to Stephan Lewis just because they played more games than North teams. I bet Sandalwood or Ascension would smoke them.

BTW I aint hating on Mount Carmel I think they are maybe 2nd best in league I seen them play, they are good. It's either them or Campion who is second best in league. But there is no way MC is better than D'Y.[/quote]

One minute you feel sorry for Carmel and the rest of Mississauga and then the next minute you are giving Carmel praise.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 am

Coaches are asked to seed teams based primarily on regular season results but are allowed to also consider tournament play. Most would agree that D'youville has been consistently the best all year but Mount Carmel certainly has an argument after going undefeated.

Let me vent for a bit. This whole 3 division set up is ridiculous (those who remember, know I have been saying this from the beginning). Firstly, it allows teams an opportunity to "tinker" in their final games to set up a desirable matchup (or avoid a matchup later on). Secondly, the ranking system is unfair if the divisions aren't equally balanced in terms of the strength of teams. We defeated Xavier in their own building at the Rimrocker but they are a #1 seed and we are in a tiebreaker game! (I don't mean any disrespect to Xavier - I have a lot of respect for their team but I am trying to make a point). The seeding also depends on the impartiality of the coaches who can seed teams in a manner that gives their own team an edge. Some coaches don't follow the results like those of us here.

The wildcard is absolutely ridiculous. How can you compare records when you haven't played the same number of games!!! If we happen to lose our tiebreaker we would be eliminated because at 3-4 our record would be "not as good' as 4-4. Is it my fault that we played one less game? Should I blame Lincoln Alexander for going to Tier 2 for that missing game? The team that might get the Wild card, Stephen Lewis, we defeated handily in tournament play.

It's time to stop this ridiculous system and go back to 4 divsions . The top 4 make it and cross over. It is not perfect but anything is better than the present system.

Coach M
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:08 am

I agree with you coach M.

The only way it will be changed is to vote on it at the post-season meeting.

I am personally going to ask for two changes:
    1) Back door game to be added for OFSAA berth.
    2) The possibility of having 2 or 4 divisions and having set play-off match-ups by crossing over.

If any Peel coaches feel there needs to be change then they must come to the post-season meeting to vote. Same thing goes for coaches who like the current system, you need to come and vote.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 am

gator01 wrote:Hey JT you cannot look at tournaments to decide the seedings. I agree with you that DY is the best team in Peel. However, coaches will not look at tournament scores as team can be missing players and can also play players that are ineligible in the regular season.

Having talked to many of the Peel coaches, I can tell you that a lot of them will use tournament results.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

I love all of the suggestions...it is unfortunate we rarely hear any of these at the post-season meeting when we can actually make change...
    jt
    Sophomore

Post by jt Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:15 pm

When and where is this post season meeting as I can ask some teachers I know to attend. Is it only for Tier 1 basketball coaches, or can they be basketball coaches from other tiers and divisions, as long as they are coaches?
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 am

Any boys basketball coach can attend...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:30 pm