HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
Coach Clement
observernba
rerun
Ronson
8 posters

PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM

Ronson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM Empty PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM

Post by Ronson Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 pm

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/06/all-canada-classic-recap/
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM Empty Re: PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM

Post by rerun Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:26 pm

It was an excellent event! I got an opportunity to sit courtside for just $30 and take it all in. Wayne Dawkins, Phase 1 and the corporate sponsors have done wonders to really raise the profile of this game....I've attended the others at Centennial college and Ryerson but this was different. Playing the game at the Air Canada Center made it something really special like the Jordan Brand Game, the Magic Roundball Classic and the McDonald's All American Game. I thought it was great to witness the emergence of Canadian High School Basketball. I sure hope that they can continue to host the game at the ACC....it really makes it a lot more meaningful and significant to the players and spectators. Love the courtside seats...lol
    observernba
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-03-08

PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM Empty Re: PHASE1 ALL CANADA CLASSIC COVERAGE ON SLAM

Post by observernba Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Sorry, but what needs to be said, needs to be said. Canada basketball have been riding Pangos and Notice so hard for so long that when they are totally shut down, one needs to ask why. I believe Notice had 2 points and I think Pangos had 8. Kabongo destroyed Pangos, plain and simple. Not sure but I think Kabongo picked up close to 40. Leo - you've picked to wrong poney to ride. It's not like it took a lot of effort either. Pangos looked like a kid playing a man's game. Playing with Bargnani? Don't think so. No need to post any more YouTube videos either. How many are there? 50?

Notice, although a great player, proved no match for the truly elite players on board last night. No rythm, no flow, not much points. 2. Good effort.
    Ronson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by Ronson Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:32 pm

I would disagree obervernba....that isnt fair for the player to call them out on one of their poor games....Duane killed it at the Jordan Brand and Pangos held his own as well. At the ACC, Duane notice had a bad game definitely, but don't forget he's also the youngest on the court. Pangos didn't play amazing but I wouldnt say he played bad.

Kabongo is definitely superior to pangos but at the same time Kabongo was made for these type of events. These two PG's are different...Pangos is more of a passing point whereas Kabongo is the assertive, attacking PG.

Overall its a good combo to have for the national team....Kabongo's confidence is on another level though...only him and Mullings played with that killer instinct.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 pm

I was not there so I think that may colour my comments a little but I believe Pangos and Notice were the youngest players on the court.

Kabongo has competed with high level programs for a number of years. he has vastly more experience than either and he is older.

I am confident Pangos will be one of the greatest point guards Canada has ever produced. Kabongo and Cory Joseph are a little further along in their development just now!

Notice has a bright future as well. Why trash these kids for their performance in an all-star game?

Its a showcase plain and simple Pangos has already proven he can compete in international basketball where the stakes are higher and teams actually prepare before they step out on the court.

In the big picture a game like this tells us little.
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm

does anyone know why anthony bennet didnt play?
    he was dressed but didnt get into the game

i was also very dispapointed with sim bhullar
    and i was relly impressde by mullings and matthew wright
    realdeal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-04-17

Post by realdeal Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Notice is 15 born late 1994 there were players born in early 1991 in that game- he held his own out there from what i saw didn't look like a superstar but has a whole lot of potential to become one in three years
    The Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by The Fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 am

The issue I had with the game is that it should be more like the McDonalds All American in the fact that it should be a senior’s game. LeBron James was the best player in America as an underclassman but couldn’t play until his senior year. Phase 1 All Canada Game has set a bad president. I think that having underclass players in the event takes opportunities away from senior. It also puts a lot of pressure on grade 10 and 11 kids. I think the girls game got it right.
    Now on to the game and the players.
    Kabongo was the best PG and best player in the game by far. I think that in the first half Mike and Kevin seem to be taking it personal, especially Mike. The announcer was also adding to the battle. I think Leo has given this kid Pangos the tag as the next and that has put a bull’s eye on his back. A national team coach should not be doing that to any player, which shows favoritism. I’ve met Kevin and he’s a nice enough kid but he is behind Corey, Devoe, Juevol, Junior and Mike. In fairness to Kevin he’s still a high school in grade 11. I thought Kevin played well but Mike was on a never level.
    Coach Clement as per your point “I am confident Pangos will be one of the greatest point guards Canada has ever produced. Kabongo and Cory Joseph are a little further along in their development just now!” I’m happy that your Crystal ball can tell you that he will be one of the greatest point guards Canada has ever produced. I will wait and see and let my little friend “Time” tell that tale. I think that Mike and Corey a more than a little ahead at this point. I was at the game and Stevie Wonder could see that Mike is on another level right now.
    Ronson, as to your point “These two PG's are different...Pangos is more of a passing point whereas Kabongo is the assertive, attacking PG.” if you were at the game check the stat line Mike had 11 assists. Nash is a very aggressive PG but can pass, it’s basketball it is aggressive. Being aggressive open’s up passing lanes. Guys let’s stop hyping up this kid and let him do his thing. Nash never had this kind of pressure on him in high school.
    observernba
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-03-08

Post by observernba Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 am

Coach Clement I have a couple of questions for you. I'm not trying to call you out or make fun of you. I'm asking a couple of serious questions about some of your comments - like "Kabongo has competed with high level programs for a number of years. he has vastly more experience than either and he is older".

First of all, although Kabongo has competed with high level programs for a number of years, so has Pangos. He's been the starting point guard for every team you can think of for years. He's been to Italy, Argentina, etc playing international ball. So I don't see where Kabongo has had all of this "extra" experience playing at a high level. Exactly how many high profile tournaments do you have to play in before you're "experienced"?

Kabongo is a year older so he's played ball for one more year - big deal. Physically, I think Kevin is bigger/stronger than Myck. Although both are about the same height, I would bet the Pangos outweighs Kabongo by 10 or 15 lbs.

What it all boils down to is that although Pangos is a great player, there are others (like Kabongo) that are better. Pangos might become the best player of all time - who knows - but he certainly isn't there yet, so lets stop the relentless hyping of the kid.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. When these guys have a great game, everyone is calling them brilliant. But, when they have a bad game you say something like "In the big picture a game like this tells us little." So why is it that when Notice had a good game at the Jordan everyone says he's great? Shouldn't you also say that "In the big picture a game like this tells us little." ?
    realdeal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-04-17

Post by realdeal Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 am

Fully agree with theFan- this game should be ONLY for players going on to post secondary- graduating guys just like the Mcdonalds game. . If they want the younger guys to participate have an underclassmen game and get get rid of the ridiculous "entertainment" they had- dancers, singers, bad men's league etc. The event was too long andunfortunately, alot of the kids in the stands had to leave..
    Also, this type of game is really not a n event to compare players since it is an exhibition of talents- guys are celebrating their last high school game, having fun, and showcasing their talents.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I also agree with thefan that it should be for the seniors as alot of them have flown under the radar. Why give Notice and and Pangos yet another oppurtunity to showcase themselves, they have had 100s and will have 100s more. There also was a lot of people from the GTA, I feel like they should bring in more talent from other areas. Possibly next year look at a GTA vs the rest type of game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm