HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+22
loveball
actionjackson
kd159
KPC-AZ
TU20
eastern#1
luv2ball
Jax23
kobee24
rerun
Laurier Basketball
Mr Bean
TrueTalkz50
coachgeo
GTA West
tart11
stevelogan92
gunta
Ballknowledge
smoothflow
jt
HooptownGTA
26 posters

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 19

tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 19 - Page 2 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 19

Post by tart11 Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Laurier should be HM until they play someone of note

1-13 i have no problem with

14. Martingrove
    15. West Hill
    16. dyouville

Laurier Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2010-12-07

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 19 - Page 2 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - Released Dec 19

Post by Laurier Basketball Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:20 pm

[quote="tart11"]Laurier should be HM until they play someone of note

1-13 i have no problem with

14. Martingrove
    15. West Hill
    16. dyouville

Laurier beat Martingrove so why should Martingrove be higher than Laurier in the rankings?

tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Cause Martingrove won the rimrocker and Laurier has not played anyone else of note. Rimrocker participants included: dy, west hill, carmel, brampton cent, richview, dunbarton, st francis, st theresa, notre dame all quality teams and martingrove finished on top.

Martingrove also lost to Goetz in a tournament. Recent results should count more then previous results.
    Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Mr Bean Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 pm

I agree. Recent results should count more than previous results! Put Carr at #4 because they beat Loyola and Loyola beat Eastern.
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:55 pm

another thing is that the top teams (1-11) play each other so often that if you are making up rankings, youèd have to look at consistency. The 12-16 and HM teams do not play in top tournaments on a consistent basis so wins against super 16 teams and loses against weak team have to be looked at closely.
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Mr Bean wrote:The constant trashing of Henry Carr basketball always makes me laugh. Jokers like jt, tart11, stevenash1, TrueTalkz50; all you guys do is push more players to Henry Carr. Are you that dumb? Even with losing close to 10 elite players, Henry Carr is still in the mix. Beat Pickering by 30, Dennison by 20, Loyola by 4, Mother Teresa by 2, and Vanier by 50! That's not too shabby. And who is in the gym this week? Is your team coachgeo?
    Question I alraedy got my point out there henry carr , pickering and maybe easterna r almost evenly matched teams and is not as dominant as last year or the year before ( dats why thier is no controversy wit the senior team dis year) and im not saying thier garbage ot talking trash about thier basketball program of course they have graet players and coaches, besides like i said the ranking are very close except for the one and two spot and the rankings can change cuz the top 12-2 can all beat each other on any given day and everyone has thier own opinions about the rankings its just high school basketball.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 am

I'm in agreement with Tart11 on most things.

Despite all the protest about this current rankings, I think that it is correct from positions 1-13. You have to base the rankings on some type of body of work. In my opinion, West Humber and Sandalwood definitely do not have an impressive body of work. Despite their recent loss to West Hill, Dyouville should definitely be on the Super 16 ranking. They've beaten Mother Teresa, Fletcher's Meadow (current teams in the top 16) and beaten Richview twice (a team previously on the list)...that is definitely more than I can say for Sandlewood and West Humber combined. I would put D'youville at the 14th spot based upon what they've done on the entire season and not punish them heavily for their loss to West Hill at the Rimrocker...as disappointing as it was for them!!!

Laurier should be 15th based upon their wins over Martingrove and the best kept secret...their early season win over Pope John Paul. They won two B level tournaments and are undefeated. In my opinion, that is definitely more than Sandlewood and West Humber, however, they are still unproven until they match up against some better competition. They should play somebody in the top 10 in an exhibition game....as I said before, Laurier is not to far from Pickering, J Clarke, MT or even Anderson.

In my ranking..14 D'Youville, 15 Laurier and 16 Martingrove....(Why???) I really can't make a case for anyone else. What has West HUmber, Westview, West Hill, Sandlewood or anyone else done lately or all year to garner the 16th spot in comparison to Martingrove.

Someone mentioned why Henry Carr is at 6....Henry Carr has beaten Loyola (Oakville), previously ranked Richview, Dennison and beat Pickering by 30 early in the season. Pickering is 7th because they lost to Henry Carr but handed St. Mikes their only loss. The Trojans have beaten Dyouville and Eastern Commerce early in the year too. St. Mikes has won two tournaments and beat Loyola (Oakville) on a Dwayne Notice buzzer beater but lost to Pickering.

Dennison is a school that is hard to rank because of their activity level. They are similar to Anderson in that regard. They beat Oakwood at the Humber Classic and have lost to Henry Carr. Oakwood and Mother Teresa have already had a lot of match ups against top ten teams.....they lost some and won some. Oakwood has beaten J Clarke, Loyola (Oakville) and has lost to Anderson twice, Dennison and Loyola (Oakville). Mother Teresa has wins over Henry Carr and Eastern Commerce at the Mark Walton Invitational and beat Pope John Paul, but has losses to Eastern, J Clarke Richardson and Loyola (Oakville)

Fletcher's Meadow has beaten D'youville and lost to Dyouville and a close game to Loyola (Oakville). Pope John Paul has beaten Henry Carr and lost a close game to Mother Teresa. After that it gets sketchy!!!! It is hard to really rank the other teams if they have beaten anyone in the top 12.

The top 3 are easy to rank....J Clarke at 1.....recent win over Vaughn..an early season loss to Vaughn and a 1 point loss to Oakwood. Vaughn at 2....only recent loss to J Clarke at the Holiday Classic. Anderson at 3....has clearly proven they belong....they beaten Oakwood twice and Henry Carr...their only loss is to Vaughn.

I would switch Eastern and Loyola (Oakville). Eastern Commerce should be at 4 since they beat Mother Teresa, Henry Carr and Loyola..their losses are to Vaughn three times, Pickering, Loyola and MT. Eastern Commerce has wins over teams ranked 4th, 6th and 10th. Now, Loyola has wins over Fletchers Meadow, Oakwood, Eastern and Mother Teresa...teams ranked 5th, 10th, 11th and 12th so I don't see how they can be ranked fourth based on that. Loyola has lost to Anderson, St. Mikes, Eastern Commerce, Henry Carr, Oakwood and 2x J CLarke Richardson ..that is seven losses against 4 wins...I can't see how that can justify 4th place on the "Super 16" Ranking.

1. J Clarke
    2. Vaughn
    3. Anderson
    4. Eastern Commerce
    5. Loyola (Oakville)
    6. Henry Carr
    7. Pickering
    8. St. Mikes
    9. Dennison
    10. Oakwood
    11. Mother Teresa
    12. Fletchers Meadow
    13. Pope John Paul
    14. D'youville
    15. Laurier
    16. Martingrove

Honourable Mention: West Hill, Sandlewood, Mount Caramel...or pretty much any school....all the honourable mention teams still have something to prove before they can crack the top 16....you need a signature win and some other noteworthy performance to make the list. If West Hill won the Rimrocker, I would have given them the 16th or 15th spot.

Last edited by rerun on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kobee24
    Freshman

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post by kobee24 Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:32 am

wowww... this guy has a lot of time in his hands ^^^

rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:36 am

Apparently so do you mr. Kobee24!!! LOL
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 am

LMFAOOOO I DO AHHAHAHAHA
    kobee24
    Freshman

Post by kobee24 Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 am

but you're dedicated i gotta give uu that - this man wrote a full out synopsis bout every team hahahha i feel u doooh ahahha
    Jax23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2010-02-04

Post by Jax23 Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks Rerun.
    Honestly Hooptown should provide a little more of a write-up. With Grossman gone, these are the rankings everyone uses. I know running the site is nuff work but a little more than one or two wins and losses listed is required.
    Dont get me wrong Hooptown does a great job of ranking. Look at how close they are to most lists -- except for a couple guys boosting their own teams and regions. Just when guys like Rerun break it down it helps people see why the team that crushed their team is only an HM...
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by HooptownGTA Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 am

Rerun,

Just a side note. Loyola defeated Eastern Commerce just recently in the quarter-finals of the Holiday Classic.

Jax23,

If you go to the Super 16 section on the main site, you will get more details on wins and losses. If you click on the team names, you can view their wins and losses for the season.

Some other notes.
    People are also forgetting that d'Youville also lost to Nelson on Dec 4th.

I did not know that Martingrove had defeated West Humber in league play. However, with that knowledge, I don't think they would have cracked the 16. With their lost to Goetz, and not beating any current Super 16 teams, they would have probably remained as an HM team.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    luv2ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2008-08-02

Post by luv2ball Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks Rerun and Hooptowngta !!!
    There is merit to both of your rankings !!!

I find it hard keeping up with all the tournaments and high school games.
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Post by TrueTalkz50 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am

Rerun graet post and it is well said, like rerun braked it down many teams in the top 16 are well almost evenly matches from 3-16- hm this year its not like last year were the team in the 4orth can beat the fifth or the team in the eight can baet the ninth, this year its like the seventh position team can beat the fifth or the sixth can beat the forth so dis year teams are more difficult to ranke but thanks to rerun these teams are accurately ranked and the wins and loses of tehse teams are well detealied even involving teamz in the honourable mention, so now no one can boost there team is better than this team cuz its close.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:47 am

I think it is funny that people are commenting on the length of my post!
    Anyone who has been on this site for a while knows that I provide the details, facts or stats to get my point across. I try to be neutral but sometimes I get caught up. I'm on Christmas vacation for two weeks so I have plenty of time to break this thing down and analyze it.

Slick Rick! Point taken....I did forget about Loyola's (Oakville) recent win over Eastern Commerce at the Holiday Classic. So they are 4 wins and six losses against the top teams. I'd still put Eastern at 4 nevertheless...we will agree to disagree on that one. Eastern has a lot of losses to Vaughn...and everyone in high school basketball this year loses to Vaughn.

THe D'youville argument is tough as well but I would not hold it against them if they lost to Nelson.... I'm in agreement with you on everything else. The honourable mention section and spots 14-16 are transient positions and will probably change after the St. Mikes Tournament the first week in January. Who ever does well on the consolation side will have a legit claim to those positions.

Slick Rick you are doing a great job! This is by the far the toughest year to rank teams. The Top 2 are a cut above everyone else...Vaughn and J Clarke have alot of depth and scoring. Anderson is a solid 3, but everyone wants to see them match up against the top ten more often. They are doing well in limited action....4-1 against the top ten. I think if Anderson played against more elite teams, they might have been caught off guard once or twice, but that is my opinion. The rest of the teams are anyone's guess. Almost anything can happen any weekend. I think that no result should surprise anyone. If Fletchers Meadow or Pope goes on a run a wins a major tourney it should not surprise....MT and Oakwood have done it already! This year expect the unexpected!!!

Last edited by rerun on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:40 pm

I see nothing wrong with your post rerun. Thanks for the 4 seed, although i do not think ec has reached their potential yet. The parity this year is unreal and i do not think v and jc are as far ahead as everyone thinks. i also disagree with you that they are deep, especial y jclark who really only plays 5-6 guys. I find it funny how you list wins an losses for teams but seem to always put how much pickring loses by (carr by 30) they seem to be the only team you put scores down for so you must have some hate for them lol
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by gunta Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:24 pm

[quote="HooptownGTA"]Rerun,

Just a side note. Loyola defeated Eastern Commerce just recently in the quarter-finals of the Holiday Classic.

Jax23,

If you go to the Super 16 section on the main site, you will get more details on wins and losses. If you click on the team names, you can view their wins and losses for the season.

Some other notes.
    People are also forgetting that d'Youville also lost to Nelson on Dec 4th.

I did not know that Martingrove had defeated West Humber in league play. However, with that knowledge, I don't think they would have cracked the 16. With their lost to Goetz, and not beating any current Super 16 teams, they would have probably remained as an HM team. [/quote]

In response to your excuse about Dy losing to Nelson.is that the reason why you left them out the rankings . DY played from dec 01 to school closing.10 wins 4 losses out of that was 3 league games. I know how many Fletchers and Sandalwood played and both teams did not played 14 games in fact Sandalwood did not have anything impressive, Fletchers had the 4 league games wins and the 1 win - 2 loss games in Windsor.How come you really left DY off the Rankings. from #12 to right off the chart.I dont have a problem with one to ten rankings i just cant see how Sandalwood made it in front of Dy. Fletchers is a good team so there can be different views on them.But i cant get over the Ranking of Sandalwood over DY.

Sandalwood Falcons
    Wins vs. Super 16 teams:

Pine Ridge 60-50 @ the West Humber Invitational - Nov 25
    Ascension 62-38 Peel Region league game - Nov 29

Losses:
    Fletcher's Meadow 82-59 @ the d'Youville Early Bird - Nov 19

Tournament Championships: West Humber Invitational
    Tournament Finalists:

Fletcher’s Meadow Arrows

Wins vs. Super 16 teams:
    Sandalwood 82-59 @ the d'Youville Early Bird - Nov 19
    Brampton Centennial 57-48 @ the d'Youville Early Bird - Nov 20
    d'Youville 49-44 Peel Region league game - Dec 1

Losses:
    d'Youville 51-37 @ the d'Youville Early Bird - Nov 20
    Loyola (Oakville) 73-70 @ the Univ of Windsor Invitational - Dec 17
    Herman (Windsor) 67-54 @ the Univ of Windsor Invitational - Dec 18

Tournament Championships: Great Western Round Up
    Tournament Finalists: d'Youville Early Bird

d'Youville Panthers
    Wins vs. Super 16 teams:
    George Harvey 79-49 @ the Henry Carr Early Bird
    Richview 63-52 @ the Henry Carr Early Bird
    Fletcher's Meadow 51-37 @ the d'Youville Early Bird - Nov 20
    Brampton Centennial 50-35 @ the SOSI - Dec 4
    Mother Teresa 46-44 @ the Holiday Classic - Dec 9
    Richview 45-39 @ the Xavier Rimrocker - Dec 15

Losses:
    Pickering 76-61 @ the Henry Carr Early Bird
    JC Richardson 61-54 @ the Henry Carr Early Bird
    Fletcher's Meadow 49-44 Peel Region league game - Dec 1
    Nelson 58-53 @ the SOSI - Dec 4
    Vaughan 48-29 @ the Holiday Classic - Dec 10
    West Hill 48-43 @ the Xavier Rimrocker - Dec 14

Tournament Championships: d'Youville Early Bird
    Tournament Finalists:

This your reason for the rankings not mine you guys compare nothing more to say. Happy holidays to all.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Eastern #1,

Funny! I didn't even notice how I mentioned the margin of victory in the Henry Carr-Pickering game. However, you are right....I did! It is just a small oversight...I have no hate for Pickering at all! I'm a former Pickering High b-Ball player just like Slick Rick, the site adminstrator for Hooptowngta. Pickering High is everywhere...you can't escape it...LOL...whether it is hooptowngta, a chocolate milk commercial or watching Corey Joseph hit the game winning shot against North Carolina. If it is any consolation, I think I mentioned that Loyola (Oakville) got beat by a Duane Notice buzzer beater too twice as well. I think as a former Pickering Trojan a 30 point margin of victory is quite tramatizing and decisive for a good high school basketball program. However, I was OFSAA 1998 in Scarborough when Eastern Commerce's Vidal Massiah and co beat Pickering by 40 points in the opening round. I thought something like that would never happen again!!! I guess I was wrong

I think that Vaughn and J Clarke are a cut above everyone else, however, those Eastern-Vaughn games are getting closer and closer everytime they match up. Vaughn is the better team right now...but maybe Eastern will be the better team in March.
    TU20
    Freshman

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Post by TU20 Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 pm

who is the guy in the chocolate milk commercial?
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Kirk Salesman...a former Pickering High School Grad in 1993. He was a Toronto Allstar in 1993, played at Mount Aloysuis Community College for two years and then at D1 Northeastern University in Boston, Mass. Alwayne Bigby is there right now. He also played on the Canadian Senior Mens National team for two years as well.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Sandalwoods win over Ascension means less by the day. Who cant beat Ascensions these days? I understand they have internal problems according to their coach but the fact remains that they are not playing good basketball.
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Post by TrueTalkz50 Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Ascensios season is basically over even if they bounce back they need miracle wins to make the last fewspots of the rosppa playoffs, some players just need to forget about thier internal problems and step up in contributing to there teamz win .....i hope they do so next year , I feel sorry for them because people expected higher expectations from them in the beginning of the season from them atleast licoln is doin alright keeping malton basketball alive
    KPC-AZ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by KPC-AZ Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 am

why is west humber 16th they lost to martingrove by 20
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:55 am

Rerun, its really of no consolation one way or the other, just read a couple of posts and found it humorus in both that you mentioned the 30 pt loss by pickering. unfortunately (for ec alum) right after that loss they beat us. we dont have any choc milk guys but we do have an nba guy! and i for 1 am glad they lost there best guys the past few years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:24 am