HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+7
HamiltonBall
lovethegame
stevelogan92
NBA Lockout
JackieMoon33
tart11
HooptownGTA
11 posters

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th Empty HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 am

HooptownGTA's Super 16 Rankings - Released November 14th

1. Vaughan
    2. St. Mike's
    3. Pickering
    4. Henry Carr
    5. Loyola (Oakville)
    6. Eastern Commerce
    7. Martingrove
    8. Oakwood
    9. Holy Trinity (Oak)
    10. Pine Ridge
    11. Mother Teresa
    12. Anderson
    13. d'Youville
    14. Richview
    15. Notre Dame (Burl)
    16. Bramp Centennial

Honourable Mentions: West Humber, Mount Carmel, JC Richardson, Vaughan Road, Loyola (Miss), West Hill, Pope John Paul, Campion, GL Roberts, Dunbarton, Laurier

Check the site for more details: http://www.hooptowngta.com/super16SB.php
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th

Post by HooptownGTA Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:19 am

Super 16 Match-up:
    #10 Pine Ridge @ #11 Mother Teresa Exhibition game - Nov 16
    #1 Vaughan vs. #13 d'Youville @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #4 Henry Carr vs. #8 Oakwood @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #6 Eastern Commerce vs. #12 Anderson @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #2 St. Mike's vs. #7 Martingrove @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17

Potential Super 16 Match-up:

At the Humber College Classic:
    #1 Vaughan, #2 St. Mike's, #4 Henry Carr, #6 Eastern Commerce, #7 Martingrove, #8 Oakwood, #12 Anderdson, #13 d'Youville

tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - November 14th

Post by tart11 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:45 am

Like every year the top 10-12 teams in the gta will separate themselves from the 13-25 top teams in the gta.

the bottom of the rankings will continue to evolve cause those teams will always be inconsistent

i like the rankings
    JackieMoon33
    Freshman

Number of posts : 105
    Registration date : 2010-04-16

Post by JackieMoon33 Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Holy Trinity at #5, Loyola at #6, everyone below that shift down.
    NBA Lockout
    Freshman

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2011-10-12

Post by NBA Lockout Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm

JackieMoon33 wrote:Holy Trinity at #5, Loyola at #6, everyone below that shift down.

sure ht made the finals of the pinky lewis, but their road there was easy. loyola had to beat eastern and battle with martin to even be considered for the finals. i think loyola definitely deserves the 5 spot. although i do agree 9 is too low for ht
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 am

I thought 15 was WAY TOO low in the initial rankings IMO
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2010-05-10

Post by lovethegame Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 am

Try to stay sane here folks. There was what, maybe one or two truly top 10 teams at Pinky? The rest was not that great, on both sides of the equation. When Loyola and/or Holy Trinity can make it through a truly top level tournament, they can move up. Let's see them get past Notre Dame, Martingrove, Oakwood, for instance. Let's see Loyola beat Eastern again, in a Toronto gym.

And for pete's sake NBA Lockout aka Loyola player/supporter, try and temper your bias a bit it's way too obvious. Loyola had an easy pool also. Barton? West Hill? Loyola Mississauga? Get real.

Found it interesting that the coaches have decided to lock out St Martins. No Peel, no OFSAA, hell, not even cred on Hooptown.. Sad

Last edited by lovethegame on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 am

Holy Trinity will win the Halton region, they are better then Loyola and ND.

lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am

Two words: Grant Mullins. Best player in Halton by a long shot, and probably top 10 (if not 5) in Ontario. Neither Trinity nor Loyola have an answer for him.

I agree that Holy Trinity will likely end better than Loyola, however.
    HamiltonBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 152
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post by HamiltonBall Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am

There is currently a lack of awareness of how good the schools west of Toronto have become. Holy Trinity beats all at the Pinky and loses an overtime game by 1 to Martin's Prep and gets dissed. Loyola beats Eastern and people insinuate that was a fluke. Notre Dame has beaten many mentioned on Hooptown Super 16 + HM, but people don't believe in them. Westmount has beaten many in the Super 16 and Martin's Prep but gets no pub. ACMT walloped Dunbarton and loses a close one to Martin's Prep but gets no pub.

There are going to be others from west of Toronto that will shine (Cathedral, ST Thomas More, MacNab). It's time for the Tdot to realize that the ball does bounce beyond it's borders.
    Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

There are going to be others from west of Toronto that will shine (Cathedral, ST Thomas More, MacNab). It's time for the Tdot to realize that the ball does bounce beyond it's borders.

Its funny that you mention this. I have followed the girls basketball in the GTA and Hamilton Girls basketball community has never shown love to Toronto, Durham or Peel girls basketball. Which is fine.

Maybe its because, Hamilton girls teams are the most competitive region and can isolate themselves and still have great competitive games. St. Mary's and St. Thomas More, Bishop Tonnos, never travel East because I guess they think that in girls basketball, the ball does not bounce beyond their borders.

Really Hamiltonball, is this worth complaining about. Its just rankings, do not be offended.
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am

@HamiltonBall: Agreed on some points, others you go way too far.

The only person diminishing what Holy Trinity accomplished at Pinky is NBA Lockout/Loyola guy. He casually overlooked that 1 point overtime battle that Trinity gave Martins, yet uses Martins as a springboard for his theory that Loyola had a harder time of it. Right.

As for Loyola, noone is saying their win over Eastern is a fluke. But a Loyola / Eastern match in Hamilton at McMaster no less is not neutral ground. Let's not fool ourselves here. Good for Loyola, they beat Eastern in a highly Loyola friendly environment after a pretty easy pool...let's seem them repeat in a Peel or Toronto gym in a higher level tournament overall, is all.

Notre Dame will prove themselves to be far better than they are ranked right now.

As for Cathedral, St Thomas More, McNab: they did not participate in the biggest tournament of the year in their own city, for whatever reason. When/if they venture into the GTA this year, they will have their chance to prove their worth. No sense boosting them until they show up and play some teams.

As for Toronto vs Outside Toronto talent in general: something to the order of 75% of the best players in each respective class (2012, 2013, 2014) from Toronto are no longer with us because they are playing in the USA, in what some call record numbers. A much higher proportion of elite Toronto players left to go south to prep than did elite outside Toronto players. The Toronto pool as a result is thinner, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see further out teams do better this year. Having said all that, and while they could well go far this year, it's scary to see what appears to be a much improved over the summer team like Holy Trinity could do if a guy like Anthony Pate had stuck around. Serious OFSAA contender with maybe the lack of a high level big being the only thing holding them back. Same argument for other Toronto/near border teams as well...you apply that logic also to the other teams ie if Andrews Wiggins had stuck around, if Jayln Pennie had stuck around, Isaiah Watkins, Damion Rashford, etc etc, and we're right back at square 1 again with core of Toronto and very near outlying schools like Trinity to the west and Pickering to the east and Vaughan to the north competing solidly at the top of Ontario. Hamilton didn't lose a heck of alot of players to prep, and yet still the best of Hamilton couldn't make it out of their region to OFSAA last year. Umm...
    HamiltonBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 152
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post by HamiltonBall Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:17 am

"Allwaysthetruth" & "lovethegame" You guys both make some excellent points. There is no offence taken on my part and I did not mean to make it sound like there was. I have a lot of respect for Rick (I've known him since we were kids) and appreciate all that he does in providing this site as a forum for our basketball community. Since we are all fans and advocates for our regions and teams, my desire is to see this popular site blossom as hub for the Golden Horse Shoe & all of Ontario.
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 pm

I would like to see a combination of rankings gta and non-gta teams. I would like to see non-gta teams ranked if they have results against gta teams.
    NBA Lockout
    Freshman

Post by NBA Lockout Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

"lovethegame" im not a "loyola supporter" im a halton basketball supporter and i give credit where credit is due and right now loyola has proved themselves. after losing 4/5 starting players as well as 3-4 key role players they are still making a statement. i agree with you that ND is going to be a team to watch, mullins a columbia commit is amazing is he the best player in halton though or his class? boney? babic? that remains to be seen. i think HT and Loyola both have a plan or player that can lock him down. i can't wait to see HT and loyola play more toronto teams because both teams know they have something to prove.
    also im not diminishing what holy trinity did at all, they are a talent filled team with kids like mcneil and macenzie but i was at both games and the best player in the tournament torched loyola not missing, and against ht he was short on 10 foot jumpers that should and usually are money. i give credit to HT though they will be a top team in halton. can't wait for the loyola ht and ND match ups respectively for all the teams. halton basketball making statements.
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:16 pm

@NBA Lockout give it up. Twice you made the statement that Holy Trinity's progress through the Pinky was on account of them having an easier ride - ignoring completely that they too had to go through St Martin's. And for that matter, Assumption, who managed to sortof choke up in the quarters but to be honest on paper should be alot better than they played and arguably at or better than the level of Brampton Centennial. And your other posts have been supporting Loyola, so please just admit that you're first and foremost a Loyola fan (or player even) and let's move on.

Secondly - Mullins is the best player in Halton, yes he absolutely is. Boney is probably a better athlete and when he's on fire is punishing, but overall playmaking and understanding of the game Mullins triumphs. Besides, they are two different positions. Babic?? Mullins is better than Babic by a good bit in almost every facet of the game - he's faster, quicker more effective shooter, better playmaker, defensively etc..and rightly so, he's about 2 years older. Talk about Trinity: yes MacKenzie is stepping up with some serious play...can he outgun Mullins? To be seen, and if MacNeil and Ivankius can keep up their level, there's a chance for Trinity. But going back to Loyola, the buck pretty much stops mostly at Boney and to a decent extent Babic. But that's it, outside their starting 5 they are weak, if you're honest with yourself they are weaker down the bench than both Trinity and Notre Dame.

Mullins makes Notre Dame better in every way and make no mistake: him returning to Halton for a 5th has the goal of Halton Champs and OFSAA qualifiers written all over it, because going down Notre Dame's list you have some guys who have been steadily progressing, have been a problem for Halton teams in the past couple years and will provide a very good supporting cast. Notre Dame's biggest issue is size. But then again, that's many teams problem.

Having said all that we agree that Halton is on the rise. I don't know if anyone is paying attention but alot of the really high level players in Halton and a few who are at other teams in the GTA all trace back to a certain OBA program in Halton called Oakville Venom..under Coach McNeil. Nothing but the utmost admiration for what he's been doing over the past few years, not only are his girls tops in the nation, but if you look around GTA tourneys this year in terms of the boys and the who's who players who are doing well for their respective schools...many trace back to Oakville Venom. Holy Trinity in particular has 3 or 4 of them and their steady progress up into their senior high school years is a testament to the type of training the OBC is giving these guys. OBA should be good this year for the 94 age bracket!
    ESPN8
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by ESPN8 Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Comparing teams in halton is a tough thing to do because any given day any team can win. Nobody in halton can cover Boney as proven last year and so far this year.. and Babic is tough to guard when he's on his game. ND does have good role players and other starters, along with HT something that Loyola is lacking. The 2 players for loyola will need to step up if they want to get past Mackenzie and McNeil at HT and Mullins at ND. It should be an interesting matchup with these people when the halton league season starts
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm

It is so early in the season that it is difficult to accurately assess any team.
    Many teams do not have their full roster of players participating or have had limited practices. This will all sort itself before the Christmas break.

I've had the opportunity to watch quite a few teams so far and it is really wide open this year. Last year it was all about Vaughn and J Clarke, even though Loyola (Oakville) made it to the OFSAA final. This year Vaughn is the clear cut number one team and then after that who knows. It is going to be a real interesting season...a roller coaster ride....there is not alot that seperates the top ten teams in the GTA. In my opinion, the true top ten has not taken form yet. All three Halton teams should be in the Top ten, however, you got to earn your way like Loyola did taking out Eastern Commerce. I'm sure Holy Trinity and Notre Dame (Burlington) will get that chance soon.

For the record, Westmount is a good, well coached and scrappy team. They are kind of the gate keepers to the top ten. They've beaten Richview and Mother Teresa and St. Martins and have lost to Pickering, Martingrove and Pine Ridge. They don't look impressive in warm-up but they are a tough team to beat. That team is already battled tested! I'm interested to see how they will do over the course of the season.
    NBA Lockout
    Freshman

Post by NBA Lockout Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 am

@lovethegame again not a loyola supporter, and yes i did and still do believe HT has a much easier road to the finals, they did have to play martins but that was in the finals compared to loyola having to get past them in the semi's and a very good eastern team in the quarter finals. you can call the quarterfinal game a fluke, or it helped where they played but mcmaster gym is a neutral site if you ask me.
    Secondly- mullins can be argued as the best player but you hit it on the head boney is much more athletic and has been unstoppable all year and a lock down defender, not to say that mullins can't be unstoppable cuz we all know he has that capability, i guess Loyola vs. ND will be a great game, but I'm not sure mullins or anyone else on that team can D up a 6'5 boney. although loyola may not have a guard quick enough to stay with mullins on the offensive side as well except for boney. hopefully we get to see a mullins-boney matchup. great game to come. and again I'm just glad to see halton basketball on the rise year after year. used to be only loyola with their power house starting 5 and deep bench but now we are seeing teams like HT starting to rise and develop with young talent and ND being thrown into the mix with the return of mullins. halton teams giving there toronto teams runs for their money. can't wait to see this basketball season play out.
    Alwaysthetruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2009-11-02

Post by Alwaysthetruth Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:00 am

Yes it's nice to see Halton on the rise. The last time Halton teams were relevant, was the 2000-2001 season, when Bob Stacy Burlington Nelson won 4A OFSAA over Chris Dooley's Burlington Notre Dame. There were some great players on both teams and they could beat any Toronto team and any team in Ontario. At that it was more than one Halton team.

Now season, we might see the strongest Halton teams since that time. Can you imagine another all Burlinton OFSAA final again. Highly unlikely but it would be interesting.

I long for the day we see an all Peel region OFSAA final, lol. Never but I wish.
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Western Tech 72 Richview 65
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Super 16 Results:
    Western Tech 72 - #14 Richview 65 @ the George Harvey "Hawks Rising Star 2K11" - Nov 16
    #11 Mother Teresa 82 - #10 Pine Ridge 73 Exhibition game - Nov 17
    #13 d'Youville 58 - #1 Vaughan 52 @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #4 Henry Carr 66 - #8 Oakwood 57 @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #6 Eastern Commerce 72 - #12 Anderson 61 @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17
    #2 St. Mike's 68 - #7 Martingrove 52 @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 17

Super 16 Match-ups:
    #1 Vaughan vs. #8 Oakwood @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 18
    #12 Anderson vs. #7 Martingrove @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 18
    #13 d'Youville vs. #4 Henry Carr @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 18
    #6 Eastern Commerce vs. #2 St. Mike's @ the Humber College Classic - Nov 18

At the Humber College Classic:
    #1 Vaughan, #2 St. Mike's, #4 Henry Carr, #6 Eastern Commerce, #7 Martingrove, #8 Oakwood, #12 Anderdson, #13 d'Youville
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 am

Peels for Real LOL!
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Vaughan goes 0-2 at the Humber??

Ruh-roh!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:22 pm

[quote="stevelogan92"]Peels for Real LOL![/quote]

Spoke to soon lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:43 pm