HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
radio
rvd1018
Prime Time
dybball
Coach Clement
9 posters

HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012 Empty HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

1. Fr. Henry Carr
    2. Ste. Marguerite d’Youville
    3.Eastern Commerce
    4. Holy Trinity
    5. Downsview
    6. Vaughan
    7. Mother Teresa
    8. St. Michaels’ College
    9. Pope John Paul II
    10. Fr. Goetz
    11.Oakwood
    12.St. Edmund Campion
    13.(tied) Jean Vanier (RH)
    Pickering
    15. J Clarke Richardson
    16. Martingrove

HM: Dunbarton, Northview, Emery

On the Radar: C W Jeffreys, West Hill

N.B. This is a consensus of seven coaches who participated in this poll.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:45 am

A low number of participants(7) in this poll.

That may have skewed the results a little!
    dybball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Junior Coaches Poll - Feb. 7, 2012

Post by dybball Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm

I agree, the results are off Goetz beat Holy Trinity twice. Put Goetz above HT and I think the rest is fair.

Did the 2 guards from Dunbarton return?
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks Coach Clement for this.

I personally think some of these seven coaches got it wrong. Goetz and St. Mikes are definitely top five teams. As dybball mentioned...Goetz has beaten Holy Trinity twice.....

Who have St. Mikes and Goetz lost to this year?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:31 pm

A more appropriate question may be who have they beaten and what tournaments have they played in?

I'm not saying they're not good teams they definitely are!

St Michael's went out in the second round of the All-Catholic this weekend. Cathedral beat them in OT. Cathedral did not medal.

Fr. Goetz lost in the semis to d'Youville- no shame in that! They really have not played in a lot of the major tournaments until after Christmas (Rimrocker and All-Catholic).

The All-Catholic results were published after the Poll.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

dybball wrote:I agree, the results are off Goetz beat Holy Trinity twice. Put Goetz above HT and I think the rest is fair.

Did the 2 guards from Dunbarton return?

Its actually two bigs and they have not returned. Dunbarton can still compete - they have excellent Gr. 9's.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by rvd1018 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I guess in favor of Goetz is tht they dropped 7 spots from number 3 in the last poll and the only defeat they had was D'Y who is number 2. But rankings are still ok!
    radio
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by radio Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm

[quote="Coach Clement"]A more appropriate question may be who have they beaten and what tournaments have they played in?

I'm not saying they're not good teams they definitely are!

St Michael's went out in the second round of the All-Catholic this weekend. Cathedral beat them in OT. Cathedral did not medal.

Fr. Goetz lost in the semis to d'Youville- no shame in that! They really have not played in a lot of the major tournaments until after Christmas (Rimrocker and All-Catholic).

The All-Catholic results were published after the Poll.[/quote]

Clements just my observation no disrespect but it seems like you and your voters have something against Peel teams. Your response here is out of line
    This was posted long before the voting deadline https://hooptowngtaforums.forumotion.com/t10293-all-catholic-results.
    How is it Mother Treasa stayed at #7 from the last vote but Goetz drop #3 to #10 totally unfair.
    You and your voters need to man up and do the proper job i am surprise you guys did not try to put vaughan at #2.
    Everyone can see that the voters dont want 2 Peel Teams in the top 3.

"Fr. Goetz lost in the semis to d'Youville- no shame in that! They really have not played in a lot of the major tournaments until after Christmas (Rimrocker and All-Catholic). " This is a stupid statement coming from you! who did Holy Trinity beat to get third spot?

Dont say they beat McNaab to win their tournament because Goetz beat McNaab and HolyTrinity twice.

outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:33 pm

@radio. I think you need to read the fine print (7 coaches only) instead of taking shots at coach clement who is doing a job to promote junior basketball. Not stick to peel teams. After all, you are probably right, goetz should be higher, but no made a big deal when they moved from (not on the map) to third overall. The truth is, it is an honour for all to be on here, get recognition before the playoffs. But in the end, it's not the list, it's where you place at the end of the season.
    dybball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

Post by dybball Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:20 pm

we definietely can't attack Coach Clement on this, he is doing an outstanding job (look at the senior rankings--> haven't been updated since Nov)

having played most of the top 16 teams I believe goetz is a top five team. (I forgot to send my votes in, so I am partially at fault)

Yes Goetz lost in the semis but HT lost in the quarters

I did put the results of the ALL catholics probably after coaches had already submitted their votes.

Regional Championships are the ultimate goal!!

Thank you again Coach Clement for doing the polls, it adds some fun to the season!
    radio
    Freshman

Post by radio Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 pm

I am not here to attack Coach Clements yes only seven votes was received,but when i see people asked about Goetz and he comes back with a smart axx answer that set me off.
    On one hand his excuse for St mikes was they went out in the second round of All Catholics and even stated that Cathedral beat them in OT.

But when it came to Goetz the response was All Catholics results was publish after the poll.
    Voting is Monday at 6.00pm the results was posted by dybball Yesterday(monday) at 12:11 pm.

I really understand that seven votes received which is understandable but the response was wrong.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 am

Not wishing to continue an argument but in no way was I giving a flippant answer.

First of all there are usually several Peel coaches in the poll but on this occasion many did not vote as dybball acknowledged for whatever reason.

Second because the deadline is 6 PM that doesn't mean that the selections are all made at that time. In fact many voters send in their votes much earlier than that.

Third I stated that Father Goetz had not participated in a number of the big tournaments before Christmas was I incorrect in that?

Please enlighten me if I am wrong. They are no doubt an excellent team but they have not played as many tough teams as often as some of the other teams in the poll. I cannot speak for the reason why the voters vote as they do but perhaps some are considering overall strength of schedule which is a factor in many polls such as the NCAA poll.

Lastly my name is Coach Clement there is no 's' on my final name.

I hope that answers some of your questions.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 am

No one should attack Coach Clement. He is doing an outstanding job at MT and always giving us these polls. In the end the polls are just for fun....

I truly believe that the top teams in this poll have had the hardest overall schedule.

sirslick
    Freshman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-09-18

Post by sirslick Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 am

Kudos to Coach Clement for compiling this poll. Thanx for doing this on behalf of us parents and fans! Very Happy

OK, I've seen a lot of junior ball this year, in particular the RimRocker and Kennedy Catholic tournaments.

I believe Father Goetz deserves a #3 or #4 ranking at worst considering they've lost just just two games this year, both to Ste. Marguerite d’Youville by 3 and 4 points respectively. Father Goetz has also beaten Holy Trinity (twice) and Sir Allan McNab this season.

St. Mike's is ranked too high and that should be reflected in the February poll. St. Mike's didn't even make it to the medal round of the 16-team Kennedy tournament last week even though they were on the weaker side of the draw. d'Youville, Goetz and Holy Trinity, meanwhile, all played on the stronger side of the tournament draw.

Sir Allan McNab from Hamilton is still a top 10 team.

Overall, a solid poll and keep up the excellent work Coach Clement!

Last edited by sirslick on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional clarification)

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

anyone see the Vaughan incident last night? I heard some player went berserk at his coaches...
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

sirslick wrote:Sir Allan McNab from Hamilton is still a top 10 team.

But not in this poll as it is only for GTA teams.
    radio
    Freshman

Post by radio Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm

[quote="Coach Clement"]Not wishing to continue an argument but in no way was I giving a flippant answer.

First of all there are usually several Peel coaches in the poll but on this occasion many did not vote as dybball acknowledged for whatever reason.

Second because the deadline is 6 PM that doesn't mean that the selections are all made at that time. In fact many voters send in their votes much earlier than that.

Third I stated that Father Goetz had not participated in a number of the big tournaments before Christmas was I incorrect in that?

Please enlighten me if I am wrong. They are no doubt an excellent team but they have not played as many tough teams as often as some of the other teams in the poll. I cannot speak for the reason why the voters vote as they do but perhaps some are considering overall strength of schedule which is a factor in many polls such as the NCAA poll.

Lastly my name is Coach Clement there is no 's' on my final name.

I hope that answers some of your questions.[/quote]

Does not matter what i say or to be correct anyone say,You have many people telling you about goetz and in your mind you are correct and thats it.
    I dont except half done home work .
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Post by outside_stinga Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:13 pm

@radio. You obviously have it in your mind that he "coach clement" is just making his results up. He simply is just a reporter of results. Results being other coaches votes. He is one vote, blame all the other coaches who did or did not
    Vote. For all we know the goetz may not have even voted. If that is the case, you should take your grievance up firstly with the goetz coach and all other coaches who have not voted. Any other argument on your part proves only ignorance.
    radio
    Freshman

Post by radio Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:44 pm

If you came in the thread at the last minute go back and read through,i understand about the 7 votes its the response about Goetz.The sad thing is many are thinking the same way but scared to say anything because Coach is LEGEND. This is a forum and not everyone would agree what is being post like you coming to the rescue, but we all have to lived with it and when we post it not argument or ignorance it is point of views.Not because someone say something is black you have to belived them.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I agree, his comments did seem weird
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Post by outside_stinga Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

On a side note:

CW Jefferys CI @ 57
    Downsview SS 52

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:01 am