HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
Youngblood
actionjackson
Coach Clement
Xavier Rimrocker
ncaaball
9 posters

Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse

ncaaball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse Empty Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse

Post by ncaaball Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Today Birchmount wins the junior city championships over Oakwood 48-42. They weren't in any of the coaches polls this year ...not even on the radar? The coaches do an excellent job of selecting the rankings but it is a little biased towards traditional favourites and a catholic presence. Wow. Out of nowhere...maybe not. Several D1 players are there and more will be attending next year after this showing. The future looks bright for this program and I'm sure they won't surprise anyone next year. Who knew!!! Congratulations Birchmount players!
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse Empty Re: Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't think the bias is that strong for the traditonal powers or Catholic schools; I think the strongest influence comes from the high profile tournaments.
    ncaaball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse Empty Re: Birchmount Collegiate New Powerhouse

Post by ncaaball Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Not to take away from the wonderful job the coaches do. We all depend on them for the information. It just seems to have a slight bias towards the catholic schools, traditional powers and now as you mentioned the high profile tournaments as well. This school didn't attend any big tournaments that I can find. This shows the bias. Its not intentional nor is there any malice. I'm merely stating an observation. I for one had no idea about this program as I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

With respect I say this to the coaches. They have their ear to the ground.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Credit to the teams who get and play some tough opponents.

Obviously Birchmount must have some talent but if you don't play outside what is generally considered a weak division how will coaches know about you.

Hopefully they get a chance in the upcoming Salsberg Tournament next week.

That would be interesting!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

I would compare them to Senator O'Connor who flew under the radar in the TDCAA but were 29-3 I understand.

MT found out the hard way losing 70-65 in OT in the playoffs!
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm

"Bias" may be the wrong word to use.
    Youngblood
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2010-01-28

Post by Youngblood Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Just remember, 3 of the Jr's from Oakwood start for their Senior team and didn't play all year. It was a very good game and well played by both teams. Congrat's to Birchmount CI on the win.
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 am

Congratulations birchmount! As for oakwood. That is a team decision, playing senior makes them senior. Lots of teams around the city can say the same thing for their early exit too. Oakwood was a strong team without them and should be happy with their results all year. Just unfortunate loss in the final. Any given day, either team could win. Let's face facts, junior basketball can have different results from day to day. It's a learning process at that point. Eastern, emery, downsview, northern, Martingrove, jeffreys, and northview all wish to have a game back and different results could have been the case. That's basketball. Congratulations birchmount. 2011-2012 city champs.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 am

what happened to Eastern? who knocked them out?

ncaaball I disagree with you on things:

1) I wouldn't consider birchmount a 'powerhouse' over 1 championship and really one good game
    2) Catholic teams are not getting biased. 10 of the top 16 are catholic, but that can change year to year.
    3) D1 players? don't assume they will be going D1, prove it
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:57 am

Oakwood defeated Eastern.

I agree powerhouse is the wrong word. It appears they are a good team but - "powerhouse" that's a bit much!
    dak1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by dak1 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 pm

[quote="Coach Clement"]I would compare them to Senator O'Connor who flew under the radar in the TDCAA but were 29-3 I understand.

MT found out the hard way losing 70-65 in OT in the playoffs![/quote]

Who is coaching the O'Connor juniors? Is it Sherwynn Benn?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm

ncaaball wrote:Not to take away from the wonderful job the coaches do. We all depend on them for the information. It just seems to have a slight bias towards the catholic schools, traditional powers and now as you mentioned the high profile tournaments as well. This school didn't attend any big tournaments that I can find. This shows the bias. Its not intentional nor is there any malice. I'm merely stating an observation. I for one had no idea about this program as I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

With respect I say this to the coaches. They have their ear to the ground.

Bias is definitely the wrong word. The coaches can only go with the information they have in front of them and Birchmount wasn't in a single tournament of note this season, as far as I can remember. This is not bias; it is simply making choices based on the facts they have at the time of the vote.
    CB3
    Freshman

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by CB3 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:56 am

Obviously the tag "Powerhouse" should be taken very lightly. Birchmount has had a nice season and didn't get into any tournaments of note because they didn't know about them on time or weren't on the radar to be invited. But they are made up of mostly grade 9's so this season is something to build on. But to win cities is also no fluke and they must have played some decent ball to win the title. Ask Jeffries and Oakwood.
    CB3
    Freshman

Post by CB3 Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 am

"Obviously Birchmount must have some talent but if you don't play outside what is generally considered a weak division how will coaches know about you.

Hopefully they get a chance in the upcoming Salsberg Tournament next week.

That would be interesting!
    "

Birchmount is also not known for basketball so no coaches are familiar with them and they came off an 0-9 season last year so that didn't help but they hopefully will be in that tournament next week.
    CB3
    Freshman

Post by CB3 Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:06 am

Whoever put the new powerhouse topic is a bit silly no?

Carr, Eastern, Oakwood etc. are powerhouses

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:45 pm