HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
Eagle1
loveball
Coach Mike
wcbasketball
Xavier Rimrocker
EYE OF A TIGER
10 posters

Is Mother Teresa 3A?

EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Is Mother Teresa 3A? Empty Is Mother Teresa 3A?

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:21 pm

i herd there can only be one representing team from the Cathlic District. That means Carr and MT have to fight to go to OFSAA. Or one of them can choose to go 3A. Coach Melnick said already "Henry Carr will be 4A this year". So is Mother Teresa 4A or 3A?

Last edited by EYE OF A TIGER on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Is Mother Teresa 3A? Empty Re: Is Mother Teresa 3A?

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 pm

[quote="EYE OF A TIGER"]i herd there can only be one representing team from the Cathlic District.[/quote]

That is correct. AAAA OFSAA berths:

2 Toronto Public teams
    1 Toronto Catholic team
    1 private school team
    1 York team
    2 Durham teams (1 berth is due to Pickering's win last year.)
    2 Peel teams
    1 Georgian Bay team
    1 Ottawa/Eastern Ont/Central Ont team
    1 Golden Horseshoe Team
    1 Southern Ont team
    2 CW Ont teams
    1 W Ont team
    2 SW Ont teams (1 & host)
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:39 pm

so is MT 3A or 4A?......if there 3A then no other team like last year Jean Vanier, Don Bosco, Johnson have a chance at OFSAA
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I think that Jean Vanier might be AA size if I remember correctly.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 pm

They have around 900 students so it's right on the edge of AA and AAA.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 am

Vanier is AA based on school size as are MT and FHC

Although I can't really see MT declaring AAA... although you never know... hopefully for some of the other school in this division they will to give them a shot at qualifying for OFSAA...even though that is not a given, as they will have to play a qualifying game against the Private School AAA qualifier
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:21 am

I totally agree. High ranked teams like Henry Carr and MT should be given another opportunity to get an OFSAA spot if they lose the Catholic final
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 am

Yes they should... although every year and in every sport... good teams get left out of the provincial championships...even at the collegiate and professional level this happens... we are almost at the point now where expanding the field might be the only option... but if you give extra spots to Toronto teams .. then you have to give more entries to other areas also... its always that catch 22
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:56 am

I think its ridicolous that Toronto public only gets 2 berths, and Peel gets the same amount. Or the fact in total Toronto only gets 4 berths in total.

The entire GTA should get 12 of the 18 berths, with the 6 remaining going to the best 6 teams outside the GTA ( yes i know this would cause total restructuring of the entire system, and some outside GTA teams might get snubbed here and there) but whats the point of teams like Bear Creek getting a birth every year into OFSAA 4A, only to get hammered by 40 in every game they play, and teams who lose the catholic final, or the city wide final and then getting snubbed of post season play. Torontos basketball of calibre has been increasing a great deal over the past decade, but some great teams (oakwood in recent years, carr/mt, and others) get snubbed due to OFSAA formatting.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:22 pm

I think the current system in place is the fairest... but to say that Toronto teams deserve more berths than other areas of Ontario is not entirely true. It isn't every year that a Toronto team wins OFSAA... since the AAAA designation has come it is, but before this there were teams from all over Ontario who have competed with GTA teams on a regular basis. Teams from Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Windsor etc... all put competitive teams into the OFSAA competition and often times in A-AAA end up winning OFSAA, they just don't have the large talent pool to choose from like the GTA teams do... nor do the do the "recruiting" that the GTA teams do as many of their students have to go to these schools because they are either bused in or it is the only school in their area... they do not have the public transportation system in place. I do believe that expanding the field could be the right option, however, how you earn these berths would need to be determined... maybe a play in game at a neutral site or something like that. But to leave out top-ranked teams year after year is frustrating not only for the coaches but the players also... however I do also believe that if you can't beat a team in playoffs then how do you expect to beat them at OFSAA.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:28 pm

This has been a much talked about issue for many years. While it is true that many good teams get left out, the present system ensures representation from across the province.

While the GTA does dominate in boys AAAA, the same is true about Hamilton and their domination of girls AAAA. How would the GTA associations feel about losing spots so that more Hamilton schools could attend?

The other point about ROPSSAA (Peel) having the same number of spots as Toronto public, that is because Peel has the largest concentration of AAAA size schools in the province. Many of the powerful Toronto schools (Eastern, MT, Emery, Carr etc.) choseto play AAAA. They may decide to go and play at another OFSAA level based on their school size. I realize that the best competition occurs at the AAAA level and most schools would rather play with the best. This is a decision my school Ascension faces every year. We have chosen to move up the last few years to AAA and AAAA to get better competition - so I do get that.

I have always argued for an OFSAA "open" division for the elite schools. I would even drop the transfer eligiblity rule for schools in this division. The rest of the schools would play in the division based on their school size and with transfer rules in place.
    kingjames23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by kingjames23 Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:18 pm

it's based on how many students they have not school size
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm

That's what he means by school size. No one is referring to the size of the building.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:52 pm

But back on topic... does anyone know if MT declared AAA or AAAA???? Inquiring minds would really like to know...
    Gill_
    Freshman

Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Gill_ Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Mother Teresa is AAAA.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Post by Coach Mike Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks for the update... that will be a great game for the AAAA spot though MT vs Carr...although not guaranteed... but it should happen
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm

I also think that the current balance is ok. There are a lot of decent teams outside the GTA and to limit them to six is an insult. It's not just about having a couple of great teams, a league needs depth to get extra berths.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:44 am

If you are one of the best teams there should be a way for you to compete for a Provincial Championship.

It is disappointing that either Henry Carr or Mother Teresa will not be attending the AAAA Championship. They are both deserving teams.

Will the number 2 team out of Durham be on the same level?

We have a system that sends the best/most successful athletes to the OFSSAA Track-and-Field Championship. Why would that possibility not be there for our best teams in basketball?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm