HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
HyperMan
Gnganinja
Prime Time
JBC Ontario
8 posters

ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015

JBC Ontario
    Freshman

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015 Empty ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015

Post by JBC Ontario Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 am

Dear Coaches,

The 2nd Annual "Ontario Junior Basketball Championships" (JBC) is a tournament that will celebrate the excellence of our young student athletes (grades 9 and 10 - athletes who are junior age that have played senior this year may participate). The JBC will look to crown a Provincial Champion of Junior Boys Basketball through a 32-team tournament from March 1-3, 2015 consisting of the best teams across the province. Through a 32 team tournament format (winners of each region + wild card invitations to other top teams across Ontario).

Tournament Format

ROUND 1
    - 8 pools of 4
    - 3 guaranteed games

SWEET 16
    - 16 team single elimination bracket play

ELITE 8
    - 8 team single elimination

FINAL 4
    - 4 team single elimination

Rankings

Rankings will be based on regional record and tournament play throughout the 2013/14 season. This will allow for better tournament play and seeding.

Prizes

Top 4 teams receive participant banners

Top 3 teams receive medals

Annual Championship Trophy (rotated annually currently held by St. Michael's College)

1st and 2nd Team All-Stars

We see the JBC as an opportunity to bring the junior level players coaches and teams the recognition and celebration that they deserve. For more information or to register for the JBC tournament please contact Chris Skinner at juniorbasketballchampionships@gmail.com or visit www.ontariojbc.com

Locations

TBA (will be in the GTA)

Cost
    $425

Hotels

We have set up special rates for High Schools traveling outside of the Great Toronto Area. Please contact us for more information.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015 Empty Re: ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015

Post by Prime Time Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm

How come tournament is held before all the leagues have completed their respective seasons? Are you looking for all the best teams to attend? It will difficult for teams like St. Mikes and Macnab to send all their best junior aged players... Maybe this was done on purpose.

The junior boys rimrocker had all the top teams except Carr.... Why would teams want to play another 32 team in the middle of their playoffs that has the SAME format as the junior boys rimrocker.....???
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2014-12-16

ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015 Empty Re: ONTARIO JUNIOR BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP (JBC) March 1-3, 2015

Post by Gnganinja Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:06 pm

because they did it last year.....try emailing or searching the website above, neither works.

As for Carr i believe the Junior A team is technically Senior B and now play senior ball....the timing of this tournament i believe is in direct timing with ROPSSAA finals as well i am not 100%. I read somewhere finals were March 4, cant have a 5-7 game tourney (if u do well) and have a league championship the day after. This should be done March 7-9
    HyperMan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2015-02-03

Post by HyperMan Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 pm

JBC is trying to simulate an Ofsaa type of tournament for Juniors. The main issue has always been scheduling and organization of tournament. Rimrocker will still be the #1 tourney for Juniors as it is well run, well respected and well attended.

It can't done on March 7-8 (Ofsaa weekend). I doubt any Senior team will allow their Junior aged player to compete in JBC if they are in Ofsaa in a few days.

I would be nice to see the current list of confirmed teams.
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:42 pm

The fact the email doesn't work makes this very odd. .....less than 4 weeks to go to fill a 32 team. Any teams from ottawa or Windsor available knowing it's a Sunday to Tues I highly doubt it
    JBC Ontario
    Freshman

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by JBC Ontario Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 am

CONFIRMED TEAM LIST FOR THE 2015 ONTARIO JBC

St. Michael's College (2014 Champions)
    St. Marcellinius Secondary School
    Bill Crothers Secondary School (Prep)
    Oakwood Collegiate Institute
    Brebeuf College (Toronto)
    Pearson Collegiate Institute
    Martingrove Collegiate Institute
    Notre Dame Catholic School (Durham)
    Notre Dame Catholic School (Peel)
    Cardinal Ambrozic Catholic Secondary School
    Sir John A. Macdonald (Kitchener)
    Central Toronto Academy
    Milliken Mills High School
    Thornlea Secondary School
    Louis Riel (Ottawa)

MORE TEAMS to be announced!

Last edited by JBC Ontario on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 pm

If this is a junior boys CHAMPIONSHIP... why don't you invite all the regional champions? Some regions will not have an official winner before this tournament begins...

Only one of the top five teams (ND Ajax) from the Hooptown top 16 is confirmed.... Why?

Are any teams form Halton, Hamilton, or Windsor going to attend?

What about Carr, Vaughan, dYouville, Holy Trinity, or St. Roch?
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 pm

See prime time u ask the best questions ......peel playoffs have yet to begin I'm sure DY will not be in it and St Roch will not be in it as I believe our championship falls in between this tournament....it's interesting cardinal Ambrozac is in it when they could do well in playoffs.....Notre Dame of Brampton is in it and won't make playoffs so clearly regional winners isn't really their mandate
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Add me to the list of critics.

This tournament is a money grab, pure and simple. It gives itself a grandiose name with a lineup that comes nowhere close to what it claims and than charges $75 more than any other tournament. It copies the format of the closest thing we have to a true Ontario championship but runs it during a lousy calendar slot that ensures many of the champions can't or won't actually attend. On top of that it tries to jam too many games into the three days and makes a poor choice of starting on a weekend and finishing on a week day.

We already have the Rimrocker so why bother trying to copy it?

If they want to run a tournament go for it but don't insult everyone's intelligence with such a laughable name for it.
    newbieballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2015-02-08

Post by newbieballer Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:19 pm

I totally agree, the name is a total farce when its not a championship draw (top 3 are not even in it). Plus what's up with the prep schools in it (Bill Crothers / St. Marcellinius). Also they say timing is everything, just ask the Rim Rocker organizers.
    Basketball_gtta
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-02-18

Post by Basketball_gtta Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:44 pm

I would like to see in the tournament pine ridge SS and donald a wilson bout out of durham . I saw there double OT game on Wednesday both look like good schools with bright futures . Also I heard wilson lost by 4 to notre dame ajax which is a top 5 team in GTA
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 pm

well this is interesting they have 15 confirmed teams and the tournament begins in 4 days
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 pm

What's going on with this tournament???
    kingAI
    kingAI
    Freshman

Registration date : 2015-01-08

Post by kingAI Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Doesn't look like its happening. Apparently theres a Bill Crothers "Showcase" instead
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

EXACTLY LOL.....however both were planned for quite some time but the Invitational actually has a schedule.

This JBC should be 16 teams only. Secondly, if the participating schools senior team isnt in any of the OFSAA's then the Juniors who played Senior can play, cause if the senior team of that school is in OFSAA why even play in this. I mean Bill Crothers Jr team crushed d'youville and REDA is all grade 9s pretty much. They are the heavy favourites.

In my honest opinion, it should be the following teams based on the previous thread posted of league winners or Top 16 (not in GTA).

Bill Crothers, REDA, Roch, DY, Martingrove, Holy Trinity (despite the rule to make 3 players ineligible for finals), Pearson, Northern, Pickering, ND Ajax, Vaughan, Macnab, Cathedral.....leaving with 3 spots for i assume St Mikes, Ottawa and Windsor

Or if u try for 32, than its ranked and single elimination like March Madness. But instead they charge a fee taking ANYONE who is willing to pay and will get crushed 120-20 by Crothers or REDA
    HyperMan
    Freshman

Registration date : 2015-02-03

Post by HyperMan Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Do not get carried away with the tournament name.  It's a good concept to emulate Ofssa type of tournament for Juniors but Lets face it, this is just another tournament.  If you pay, you play.

Gnganinja.. Don't even try ranking because you are opening up a can of worms... For example, If its just winners, why Holy Trinity? (clearly broken the rules, do they need to be rewarded).. where's the respect the other team that actually won... As I said, opening up a can of worms.. Let's just chill and wait a couple of years for all these kids to be in senior and be satisfied with Ofssa (which happens to be a wonderful tournament).

Unless Ofssa will suddenly do an official Junior championship, it will be very hard to get all the official region winners.
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Fair enough I hear ya....I was merely looking at the best possible games but your point is valid. Thank you.
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Pool A: St. Marcellinus (REDA), Bishop Reding, Central Toronto
    Pool B: Bill Crothers Prep, Sir John A Macdonald (Waterloo i believe), Ambrozic (Brampton)
    Pool C: SJK, AB Lucas, Milliken Mills
    Pool D: Notre Dame (Ajax), St. Mike's, Bill Crothers HS

guaranteed Marcy vs BCSS Prep in the finals.....and they are listed from 1-12 so it appears they are ranked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:11 am