HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+8
stevelogan92
kiddddo
rec
rerun
RealBall
d1
Coach Philippe
Respect
12 posters

Ontario Rankings

Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Ontario Rankings Empty Ontario Rankings

Post by Respect Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Does anyone know where to find the last Ontario ranking for high school senior boys, or know what they were?
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Ontario Rankings Empty Re: Ontario Rankings

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 am

Respect, you can find Provincial rankings at www.thehoop-la.com: /[url=http://www.thehoop-la.com/]http://www.thehoop-la.com/[/url]

Here are their current rankings for the Province (as of Jan 19th):

# TEAM

1- Eastern Commerce (Toronto)
    2- Mother Teresa (Toronto)
    3- Father Henry Carr (Toronto)
    4- St. Matthew's (Ottawa)
    5- Pickering (Ajax)
    6- HB Beal (London)
    7- West Hill (Toronto)
    8- d'Youville (Brampton)
    9- Parkside (Dundas)
    10- Assumption (Burlington)
    d1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by d1 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 am

PEOPLE ARE WE NOT MISSING A TEAM....WE ALL KNOW THE TEAM THAT BEAT WEST HILL,PARKSIDE,BEAL,PLUS ASSUMPTION!COACH PHILIPPE WAKE UP!!!
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 am

what team d1??
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Who Oakwood? West Hill has only lost to Pickering, Vaughn, Mother Teresa, Laurier and Oakwood. You can make a case for St Thomas Aquinas.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm

When and did Oakwood beat Beal? They beat West Hill at the St. Mikes tourney...they beat Assumption at the University of Windsor tournament....I don't know about the others.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 pm

D1, just to clarify, these are rankings from Hoop-La.com, not my own personal opinion...

I would not, nor have I made opinion about rankings all season. Respect asked a question about Provincial rankings and where to find them, so I passed along the information that he requested.

From the passion in your answer, you must be an Oakwood player and that's the team you're referring to.

If you're asking for my own personal opinion, I would say absolutely that Oakwood has had a solid season and should be in the Top 10.

At the end of the day, rankings are all personal opinion and are subjective (but as a Coach, my own personal opinion is not something I can give, because my rankings might be far different from Hoop-La or Hooptown GTA..)

Just trying to help D1, I don't have any bias towards any team, except my own... Very Happy
    rec
    Freshman

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by rec Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm

I think Oakwood beat st. thomas more from hamilton, didn't they? Or maybe lost a close one, I can't remember. And I haven't heard of them playing against Parkside this season.

Assumption sneaks ahead of St. Thomas Aquinas because of the all-catholic qualifier. They've never played against each other and STA has a better record against the tougher teams. They're my pick to be ahead of Assumption.
    But I don't do the rankings....... Smile
    These rankings will change every week based on results from league and tournaments, no doubt, so be patient and I'm sure your team will surface eventually.
    d1
    Freshman

Post by d1 Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:23 pm

SORRY COACH,I THOUGHT VAUGHN BEAT ALL THOSE TEAMS BEFORE..
    d1
    Freshman

Post by d1 Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:28 pm

COACH,I TYPE WITH CAPS ON.SO IF YOU READ ME WRONG,ITS COOLS..VAUGHN HAS HAD A REALLY GOOD YEAR,BUT STILL NOT UP THERE.VAUGHN SHOULD BE TOP 10 FOR SURE!
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:48 pm

personally i wouldnt rank Vaughan in the top 10 in the province, but i woildnt try to rank them at all. The GTA is hard enough, never mind the province. When you look at the province, there are soo many great teams. I am going to attempet to put together a top list for the province, but i dont know how many team it will feature.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:17 pm

No problem D1, no hard feelings at all...

I could tell you were just passionate about your team, nothing wrong with that.

As far as teams left out of the Top 10, you could make a case for a lot of GTA teams, but like I said at the end of the day it's all subjective personal opinion and it changes constantly...

Hooptown GTA and Hoop-La are doing their best and put in countless hours into researching teams and putting together rankings. Hats off to them for their contribution to Ontario/GTA Basketball!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

A Top 10 of Ontario is very difficult to put together.
    Not all GTA teams will be included in the top ten either too many good teams not enough spots.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Thank you Coach Philippe for responding & providing the info. Many of us o this board really apprciate the time and dedication you put into your team & keeping the average fan informed about the local HS basketball scene.
    scout
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by scout Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:11 pm

the hoopla rankins is pure gabage don,t go buy them its some kid from hamilton who dos,nt leave the city. thats why they have garbage teams like parkside and st mats in the top ten so dont go by them, THE GTA HAS 9 OF THE TOP 10 TEAMS IN THE PRVINCE ,the thing is the guy miss great turnaments like the st mikes and the mt turny,the people in hamilton dont take his website seariusly
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Scout,
    I somewhat believe what your saying. They had Notre Dame Brampton Ranked previously at 8 or 9 in there Ontario rankings.
    I wondered for the longest time why they were even ranked or if it was a mistake and they meant Notre Dame Welland.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:46 am

St. Matt's from Ottawa is definately one of the top teams in the province, and watch out for Burlington Assumption as well.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 am

Any Ontario-wide rankings will definitely leave out a team or two because, as Coach Philippe said, a lot of it is subjective and it changes almost everyday!

You can't properly rank a team from an area outside the GTA, where a lot of these 'ranked' teams seem to come from, unless they've played them. Unfortunately, a lot of these matches don't happen until OFSAA.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 am

[quote="scout"]the hoopla rankins is pure gabage don,t go buy them its some kid from hamilton who dos,nt leave the city. thats why they have garbage teams like parkside and st mats in the top ten so dont go by them, THE GTA HAS 9 OF THE TOP 10 TEAMS IN THE PRVINCE ,the thing is the guy miss great turnaments like the st mikes and the mt turny,the people in hamilton dont take his website seariusly[/quote]

If you think St. Matthew is garbage then you are obviously very uninformed about anything outside of your little basketball world. Did you notice they won a tournament that included Henry Carr, Assumption and D'Youville, beating GTA top-5 D'Youville by 7 in the process. Perhaps when they do well at the All-Catholic tournament in February, you will open your eyes to the rest of the province a little.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 am

[quote="stevelogan92"]I wondered for the longest time why they were even ranked or if it was a mistake and they meant Notre Dame Welland.[/quote]

They meant ND Brampton. I asked around a while ago and was told that they did well at one mid-level tournament in the Hamilton area. Perhaps they didn't look at their results in the GTA.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

[quote="Xavier Rimrocker"][quote="stevelogan92"]I wondered for the longest time why they were even ranked or if it was a mistake and they meant Notre Dame Welland.[/quote]

They meant ND Brampton. I asked around a while ago and was told that they did well at one mid-level tournament in the Hamilton area. Perhaps they didn't look at their results in the GTA.[/quote]

How can you trust a ranking that puts Notre Dame Brampton in Ontarios top ten. I dont even know if there top 25 in the GTA let alone Ontario.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Hoop-la is definitely a Hamilton-centric site but I give them credit for trying to cover much of southern Ontario outside the GTA. The way I see it, HooptownGTA is the site to visit for Durham, York, Toronto, and Peel info; Hoop-la is the site for everything south and west of there, while Hooplife is the #1 site for Central and Eastern Ontario, including Ottawa.

It would be interesting to see an Ontario top-25 based on the consensus of the three site administrators. Food for thought, Rick, Barry, and Kirk.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm

[quote="Xavier Rimrocker"]It would be interesting to see an Ontario top-25 based on the consensus of the three site administrators. Food for thought, Rick, Barry, and Kirk.[/quote]

That would be amazing! Xavier Rimrocker you could include yourself with the site admins to make this possible. You seem to be well informed on every!
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by kiddddo Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Top 16 in Ontario. It's really difficult to find info on out of GTA teams, but i believe i did this to the best of my abilities. This i would say is somewhat bias toward the teams Ive seen play.

1- Eastern Commerce (Toronto)
    2- Mother Teresa (Scarborough)
    3- St. Matthew's (Ottawa)
    4- Father Henry Carr (Rexdale)
    5- Oakwood(Toronto)
    6- Pickering (Ajax)
    7- Assumption (Burlington)
    8- HB Beal (London)
    9- St.Thomas Aquinas (Oakville)
    10- d'Youville (Brampton)
    11- West Hill (Scarborough)
    12- Vaughan Road (Toronto)
    13- Parkside (Dundas)
    14- St. Mary's (Hamilton)
    15- Campion (Brampton)
    16- Cathedral (Hamilton)

HM- Herman (Windsor), Glebe (Ottawa), Vaughan S.S. (Vaughan), St. Francis Xavier (Mississauga), Central Commerce (Toronto), Holy Trinity (Oakville), St.Thomas More (Hamilton), Westminster (London), St. Clair (Sarnia).
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:25 pm

That's a pretty good list. Everyone can quibble over the exact placement of particular teams but I think most of the potential top-20 teams are included.

The only teams I can think of from the top of my head that might deserve HM are Orchard Park (Hamilton), Notre Dame (Welland), Bishop Macdonell (Guelph), and Sir John A Macdonald (Waterloo).

Nice work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:03 pm