HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+10
diavoli
wcbasketball
coachalkins
CoachImgrund
the General
Zen Master
tart11
CoachPaul
Tila_Tequila
unknownballer
14 posters

A Texas high school girls basketball team 100-0

CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

A Texas high school girls basketball team 100-0 - Page 2 Empty Re: A Texas high school girls basketball team 100-0

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "This does require a lot of time and effort that a lot of volunteer coaches do not have the time or gym time to do but even in little doses it can make a difference".

Turning a medeocer player into a good player takes several things. First, the player actually has to have some kind of talent that you can work with. The second thing is time. Nothing happens overnight. A bench player might need to be a bench player for 2 or 3 years before they develop enough skills to become a starter. I know that I certainly don't have the time to donate to 4 or 5 guys to develop each of them. Realistically a coach would need to spend about 10 hours a week with each kid throughout the season to make any kind of dramatic improvement in someone's game. The player might need to put in an additional 10 hours per week of individual practise to supplement this. Are you willing to work on your game for 20 hours a week (or more) in order to acheive your goals? Few players are.

Remember also that while you're on the bench and developing, the superstars are also working hard on their game (maybe even harder than you). Even if you try your hardest you might never make the starting lineup because the other guys on the team have also improved year over year.

In addition, some guys just have the God given talent, size, co-ordination to play the game that most of you will never acheive. How many Lebrons or Shaqs are there out in the world?

I think that for the most part bench players get as much playing time as their coaches feel they can give them without thowing the game. Some coaches will give more, some less, but for the most part I think its fair.

When you're on the bench it never feels fair.
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

A Texas high school girls basketball team 100-0 - Page 2 Empty Re: A Texas high school girls basketball team 100-0

Post by acie earl 55 Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm

It disappoints me to see comparisons of the blow out in Texas compared to two teams that are tiered in the same division. I’m more saddened by Coach Imgrund’s continued sour grapes being spouted over and over again in these discussions.

To you Ryan, I ask you to give it a rest! You are the last person who should be throwing stones, in the name of being “an educator“. If any of 'your players' were publicly posting in this manner on Hooptown, I’m sure you would take great issue and ask - errr. Demand that they discontinue. It’s time for you to take the high road, even when a 14 year-old is prompting you to respond to their disparaging remarks of STL or you're bitter about the manner in how you lost a game.

You do not have to be an advocate for your team, nor the importance of character in sport. Quite frankly, you haven’t earned that mantle neither on the sidelines nor in these forums.

Last edited by acie earl 55 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bballfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by bballfan Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Not all bench players will become starters but they can become a stronger bench player if given the opportunity. Every team need role players.

Not all players on a school team aspire to be 'elite' but just love the game and want to play for their school. Coaches have to recognize that and accept what they have and work with it particularly if it is not a 'basketball school'. There are many elite players on school teams that are not on top teams but they make the most of it (i.e develop leadership skills, work on some moves, etc) and find other avenues for competition and development.

Even on a team of "elite" players there will be complaints of playing time, starting, etc. It is all in how the coach manages the team which can make or break the team. Not all "elite" players are necessarily hard workers but just blessed with God given talents and given a lot of playing time to flourish. However the vast majority of "elite" players do put their share of time in and develop their game on their own through various avenues.

I think for the most part players know their level of play compared to others but just need to be feel respected and feel they contributed to the team.

No one said coaching would be easy!!! I do respect the time and effort a coach puts in. Very Happy
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 pm

I feel your pain. I truely do.

I know that every guy on every team "just wants to play". Unfortunately, as you get older you "must" become better to survive because only those players (and parents) that have the stomach for the stress and competition will continue forward from year to year. All of these guys are tough as nails.

I "love" golf. I work on my game so much that my hands are literally bleeding after I finish practise. They still won't let me play on the Senior PGA Tour - no matter how hard I try!

Unfortunately trying hard and wanting it won't get you playing time if you don't have what takes. What it takes is a judgement call that your coach makes.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 am

Acie Earl - If you read my post above, you would see that I'm talking about blowouts in general, nothing specific. It was another individual who brought up the game, and both Coach Alkins and I told him to drop it. What's done is done - let's move on. As an educator and coach of a York Region team, I would expect you to take the time to read my responses before you criticize me.
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 81

Post by VCforMVP Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 am

I believe that running up the score is wrong but why are you trying to argue about this. I mean Coach Imgrund no disrespect but you lost to Vaughan and no matter how much you argue they still beat you fair and square. If they took off their starters, would you have possibly won? No. No matter how much you argue YRAA isn;t going to change the outcome of this game. All I have to say is get over the loss. Whatever you have to say to Coach Alkins isn't going to change his coaching philosphy and clearly whatever hes been doing with that impressive Vaughan team is working for him and his team.
    coachalkins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by coachalkins Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 am

VCforMVP, thank you for you comments, I am guessing you are a Vaughan supporter. But if you are a Vaughan player, you won't be for long.
    I have instructed the team to NEVER post on this site in a negative manner or even in a manner that can be construed as being negative.
    If you are not on the team, you are entitled to your opinion(s) and freedom of speech, regardless of what I think. I respect that. As I have said before,
    we have all moved on. For the record, in this Texas incident, I agree, the coach should be fired. Seems to be similar to a top Tier 1 team playing a bottom Tier 3 team and the coach not understanding that or respecting that fact.
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Post by VCforMVP Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 am

Thank you Coach Alkins. I am a former memeber of the Vaughan community that loves the school but was forced to move away because of financial issues. I use this forum to hear updated information of the school's basketball programs.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 am

I definitely agree with Coach Alkins. 100-0 is a humiliation no matter how you look at it. I second his notion and the notion of others that the coach should be fired.
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Post by VCforMVP Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 am

Yes Coach Imgrund so do I but what if the situation was changed. What if the winning team was 13 year old girls and the lsing team was 15 year old girls would it still be a humiliation?
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 pm

100-0 for any game, regardless of the team composition, is ridiculous - in my opinion.
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Post by VCforMVP Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

ok, just wanted to know your opinion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:00 am