HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+16
BoyballerSouth
bouncer
stevelogan92
Coach Melnik
Father Time
1891baller
Peel Fan
wcbasketball
ThaIceman
bonez07
RisingStar*
Xavier Rimrocker
sebastian31
airCHINA
Coach Clement
skip2myloupt2
20 posters

Transfer Rule

skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Transfer Rule Empty Transfer Rule

Post by skip2myloupt2 Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 am

uhh i heard that the transfer rule is cancelled!..
    can someone give me an update of that!..plz
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Transfer Rule Empty Re: Transfer Rule

Post by Coach Clement Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:27 am

There are no significant changes.

I checked with the OFSSAA website Transfer Policy as per September 2008.
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117

Post by airCHINA Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:02 pm

i dont really get how this transfer thing works. can someone explain?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 am

A person who transfers without a very legitimate reason will not be playing basketball end of story.

Even with a legitimate reason you may not be eligible.

The exceptions are few and far between.
    airCHINA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 117

Post by airCHINA Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm

oh..thx.
    sebastian31
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Post by sebastian31 Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 am

They are very strict about transfer rules nowadays especially when players transfer to schools like Pickering, MT and Eastern because they know its just for basketball. Even When players say they moved into the area, ofsaa knows that most of the time its not their adress. Transfering should be taken this seriously because it can really impact the balance level of teams. Look at what happened With Pickering in these past 2 years.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:38 pm

A move by you and your custodial parent(s) from your old school's boundaries to the new school boundaries, backed up by a lease, mortgage papers or similar document (does not include leaving one family member to live with another unless covered by the next condition)

A court order or legal change of custody that leads to the move mentioned above.

A change for a full program needed for your identified post-secondary goals.

You didn't play the sport at your old school for at least 12 months (including exhibition and tournaments)

You were placed in the new school by court order or IPRC approved by the principal of the old school

You transferred after grade 9 for documented personal or academic reasons (this one is ******very hard to get approved for so it's not the loophole that some people think it is)

You have transferred away from a documented home environment that was abusive

You were forced to leave a private school due to financial difficulties (also must be thoroughly documented)

You are 4 credits away from graduating and you move from a non-semestered school to a semestered one to finish high school in the first semester. You are only eligible for the one semester so that rules out boys basketball

================
    Reasons that do ***not*** allow you to play after transferring include:

- moves between public, catholic, or private school
    - moving from semestered to non-semestered or the other way around
    - your old school cancelling its team
    - moving to Ontario after graduating in another province/country and trying to play for a 5th year
    - receiving "permission" from your old school or the school board

Last edited by Xavier Rimrocker on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RisingStar*
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2008-08-20

Post by RisingStar* Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:56 pm

is it true if you get like a reccomdation from your school to a different school you can still play (example if you go to a cedabrae and they can reccomend you to west hill would you still play ?)
    bonez07
    Freshman

Number of posts : 185

Post by bonez07 Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:59 pm

I think you have to write a letter to the board stating your reason or something.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:05 pm

What I listed above are the only exceptions to sitting out a year. There are no exceptions if you get a letter from your old school.

http://www.ofsaa.on.ca//site/content/TransferPolicySept08.pdf
    ThaIceman
    Freshman

Number of posts : 38

Post by ThaIceman Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:46 am

There is a special section in the transfer rules whereby a player can't get a form filled out by his previous school giving permission to play, not sure how often it happens or how often it is approved but it does exist. If Approved, the palyer is only eligible for league play, not palyoffs which are deemed OFSAA qualifiers. I'm out!!! Cool
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:39 pm

There is nothing in the current OFSAA transfer rules offering such a form. OFSAA transfer rules only apply to their championships. Individual regions are responsible for setting eligibility outside of these.

As far as I know, all the GTA regions use the OFSAA eligibility standards for league play. Some, such as the TDCAA, even prevent ineligible players from competing in exhibition and tournament play. Others, such as ROPSSAA, only apply the rules to their league play and allow otherwise ineligible transfers to compete in tournaments, subject to the rules of each tournament. (I believe that a couple of regions do not apply the transfer rules to junior teams.)
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:38 pm

It was brought to my attention that a Junior player can transfer with no problems if he is a Junior again. Does anybody know of this?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm

OFSAA permits a transfer after grade 9 for specific, documented needs related to academics, school safety, etc. However, if the student is transferring and playing on a junior team then he is only subject to the rules of the specific region. Some allow a straight transfer while others require a year if they don't meet normal transfer eligibility rules.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 pm

It was brought up at a meeting by the league convenor and was put this way. If a kid is a Junior and tranfers to another school as a Junior, the Offsaa rule doesn't apply if he is transferring to a team sport because OFFSAA doesn't hold championships for Junior team sports.If the student transferred for an individual sport such as Swimming or track, then the OFFSAA transfer rule applies because Offsaa holds championships for Juniors in these sports.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 pm

The convener is correct as long as the region doesn't have a rule regarding transfers at the junior level.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey Rimrocker, your post was reposed on theHoop-la.com message board and it set off a discussion the, too. Nice work with such a clear description of the transfer rule. It has to be the most misunderstood regulation in high school sports. It's amazing how many players (and, shockingly, how many coaches) make incorrect assumptions about it.
    1891baller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-09-25

Post by 1891baller Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 am

I heard that Rob Gagliardi, who had been attending classes already at Notredame Ajax and practicing with the players there, had suddenly transferred to Pickering HS this week?

Why was he allowed to do that? Is it within OFSAA rules?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Only playing for a team affects a player's eligibility. Practicing doesn't count.

I don't know all the details but perhaps it's a loophole in the OFSAA rules since he played for NEDA and not a high school program last year.
    Father Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Post by Father Time Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Transfer Rule

If you transfer and make a team your new team then goes into a 5a OFSSA,no more 1a ball,just 2A,3A,4A and Melnik Division 5A.LOL
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Huh? LOL...I thought you said you loved me Father Time?
    Father Time
    Freshman

Post by Father Time Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Coach Melnik

Just messing with you,Love what you do and wish you all the best,I have a ton of respect for you and the program you have built.I wish there were more coaches like you.

The Melnik Division would only allow the best of the best to play,transfer students do not sit out a year,it would be a none issue.Players all over the GTA already know that the best basketball is played at a handful of schools,so the best of the best would be allowed to transfer to these schools and be allowed to be coached by the best coaches with the best programs.KEEPING OUR KIDS IN CANADIAN SCHOOLS! would be the main objective,to do this we need the best coaches in Toronto to work together in an elite league.

As you see in another post today some coaches have an agenda that exploits kids for profit you Coach Melnik and several other top coaches are only looking at the players best interests!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Father Time and Coach Melnik

Why don't the top basketball schools in the GTA form some type of Champions League?

There are about 6 teams that have top 10 teams year in and year out. Oakwood, MT, Carr, Eastern, Pickering, West Hill. They have their own seperate league ontop of their association league. The champion is based on who wins the regular season. There would be no post season. Each team plays each other twice.

This way ineligible players could play. You also get extra games against top competition.

It would be great if something like that were to happen. Im dreaming and going off my rockers caused from basketball withdrawl that came with the end of the high school season. But just imagine.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:08 am

The Melnik Division? I think I like the sound of that LOL. And thanks for the kind words Father Time. I appreciate that.
    Father Time
    Freshman

Post by Father Time Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:19 pm

[quote="Coach Melnik"]The Melnik Division? I think I like the sound of that LOL. And thanks for the kind words Father Time. I appreciate that.[/quote]

Your Welcome!

Coach Paul your one off a large group of quality coaches that have given so much back to the local basketball community,if anyone deserved $ for coaching you do.Your a role model for our kids and fello coaches.Thank you for your long hours of hard work.

I do hope your team wins an OFSSA Championship next year,you deserve it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 am