HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+17
tilt_basketball
bball272
steve.nash1
Coach Clement
knowthescore
Coach Mauro
bearscoach
Coach Melnik
Prime Time
nnba
QuestionMarkk
minihotsauce
mr_09
baller000
memoballer
ballhard41
Nova
21 posters

Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player???

Nova
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-01-14

Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player??? Empty Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player???

Post by Nova Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 am

Has anyone heard the recent rumour that Henry Carr A have been playing with a senior aged player?
    Can anyone out there confirm or deny it?
    If it is true, what does this mean for their league games?...what does it mean for the tournaments they have won?
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player??? Empty Re: Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player???

Post by ballhard41 Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm

wich player?
    memoballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-11-10

Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player??? Empty Re: Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player???

Post by memoballer Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

henry carr has been using josh bell who is senior i herd that henry carr has to forfeit all there games not sure about tournaments though
    baller000
    Freshman

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by baller000 Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

He has been cleared to play bcuz he started scool late nd bcuz of his birthday
    mr_09
    Freshman

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by mr_09 Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

i highly doubt they did that there not that stupid
    minihotsauce
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2008-11-02

Post by minihotsauce Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:03 pm

josh is allowed to play junior becuzz he started school late and also because of his birthday, trust me it has already been talked about
    QuestionMarkk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by QuestionMarkk Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm

yeah but i hard anotha from a man from the B team that this is true and all the A team wins r now loses n carr b is now #1 in tcdsb somthin about how the ppl screwed carr even though its been takin care of b4 but now maken it an issue
    nnba
    Freshman

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2009-09-30

Post by nnba Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:27 pm

thats not far carr won those games fair and square they should of had to lose all the games becuz of this stupidness. they would still win the toronto catholic without josh
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 am

Is Josh in his second or third year of high school? I think if he is in third year..he must play senior only.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Rumour: Carr A Using Senior Aged Player??? Empty An explanation and an apology...

Post by Coach Melnik Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 am

It is with great regret that I make this post.

Firstly, I want to apologize the entire FHC Jr A team, the coaches, and especially Joshua Bell and his family.

I am entirely responsible for this error. It is no secret, nor was it hidden, when Josh was born. I checked into this matter before the school year began. However, I was using an older version of the TDCAA Constitution and the rules were outdated. By the former age groups, Josh was eligible to play junior basketball. He was 15 on September 1st. The new rules which are based upon OFSAA age groups are according to the calendar year, making Josh 3 months too old for junior basketball, even though he is in grade ten and in his second year of high school.

At the beginning of the school year I should have re-checked and sought clarification from our league representatives. I didn't and I will regret this for the rest of my life.

This error was not intentional nor malicious. It was simply an error. I would like to also apologize to the entire junior boys' basketball community.

The Father Henry Carr basketball teams are a family and we will bond together to welcome Josh to the senior team and to support him, and to support the Jr A team as they will continue to compete and represent Fr Henry Carr.

Regards,

Coach Melnik
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by bearscoach Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 am

Paul,
    I feel very sorry for you and the Junior A team. I have officiated them and they are a very classy group of young men. They will bounce back from this. Good luck to you and the Carr program.
    Al
    Coach Mauro
    Freshman

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2009-04-28

Post by Coach Mauro Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:09 am

Paul;

This is unfortunate oversight, plain and simple. It doesnt reflect on the integrity of the program whatsoever. I know you personally and professionally, as like you said, it was not a secret.
    The Father Henry Carr program is a first rate program and will continue to be one of the best programs in the province.

Regards
    Mauro Di Vito
    knowthescore
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by knowthescore Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 pm

If Josh just turned 15 on September 1, 2009, then he would be eligible to play Junior ball. I just checked the OFSAA site, which says that all players born in 1994 or 1995 can play on a Junior team. As long as he turned 15 on or after January 1, 2009, he is eligible. However, if he turned 16 on September 1, 2009, then he wouldn't be eligible as he was born in 1993.

All kids in grade 10 this 2009-2010 school year will turn 16 at some point during the 2010 calendar year, unless they are a year behind in school for whatever reason.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:02 pm

I feel sorry for the kids on the team.

It was a very regrettable mistake but those kids are not at fault. They were great representatives for the school and the program.

The program still has a strong representative at the Junior level in Carr B. They are one of the best teams in the TDCAA and in the entire GTA.

A very unfortunate situation!
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm

what happens now does Carr A forfeit all their previous victories
    and can they continue to compete for the rest of the year
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm

OFSAA Age Classifications for the 2009-10 School Year

OFSAA By-Law 5, Eligibility for Competition, Section 4 - Individuals, subsection (iii), states:

“meet the following age requirements”

Senior The individual’s birth certificate indicates that he/she has not yet reached his/her 19th birthday by January 1st prior to the start of the school year in which the competition is held.

Junior The individual’s birth certificate indicates that he/she has not yet reached his/her 15th birthday by January 1st prior to the start of the school year in which the competition is held.

Midget the individual’s birth certificate indicates that he/she has not yet reached his/her 14th birthday by January 1st prior to the start of the school year in which the competition is held. Students may compete in this category for one year only in Grade 9.”

For the 2009-2010 school year, a Midget will be born in 1995 or later and may only compete at OFSAA in the Midget category for one year in Grade 9. A Junior will be born in 1994 or 1995, and a Senior will be born in 1990 or later.

1989 or earlier Ineligible
    1990 Senior
    1991 Senior
    1992 Senior
    1993 Senior
    1994/1995 Junior
    1995 Midget

How old was the student as of January 1, 2009?

Years of Eligibility
    Coaches and students are reminded that students are eligible to compete for no more than five consecutive years from date of entry into Grade 9. There is no appeal to this rule.
    bball272
    Freshman

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

Post by bball272 Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Will Carr A still be aloud to go to playoffs? Because even without Josh Bell they would have made it to playoffs.
    tilt_basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-11-26

Post by tilt_basketball Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm

bball272, u dont get it, even if they would have made playoffs without josh bell, if they played him or had him on the roster sheet nd he's over the age and not elibible to play, they forfeit all there games
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't OFSAA and the various regional associations change the age rules the first school year following the end of OAC? If so, that means January 1st has been the cut off date since the 2003-2004 school year. I understand that mistakes happen; plenty of coaches around the GTA have inadvertently allowed an ineligible player to compete. However, I don't understand how the mistake happens when the new date for OFSAA ages has already been in place for 6 years.

In Peel any tam that uses an ineligible player forfeits all games in which the player was on the game sheet. They keep all wins in which the player was not on the sheet and any games they win after the player is removed from the team. Is it the same in the Toronto Catholic League? I know Toronto Catholic plays a lot of regular season games so I would assume there is still enough time for them to win the remainder of their games and make the playoffs.
    tilt_basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-11-26

Post by tilt_basketball Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Im not sure if it has been 6 years, but i know the new rule has been in affect for a few years now. My old high school team had the same issue 3 years back.
    iball23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2009-01-16

Post by iball23 Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Is Joshua the same kid who used to play for bounce? because im a 92 and he was playing a yr up so he yeah he should technically be in gr.11 now which would make him ineligable for jr.
    SCIstarballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Post by SCIstarballer Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 pm

in the toronto star it says that carr was stripped 8 of their wins with bell and finish the seasin 1-8, missing the playoffs
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by TAJ Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 pm

http://www.thestar.com/sports/highschool/article/751602--basketball-team-punished-for-using-over-age-player

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:47 am