HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+8
Saints
Rick
hoopsdreaming13
wcbasketball
CoachImgrund
coachblue
yung_protege
HooptownGTA
12 posters

SBA High School Shootout

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

SBA High School Shootout Empty SBA High School Shootout

Post by HooptownGTA Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:40 am

2008 Scarborough Basketball Association High School Girls Shootout
    October 17-19, 2008
    All Games played at Hoopdome

Senior Girls – Platinum Division

Pool A:
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 55 - Aurora 34
    Weston 45 - St. Theresa Lisieux 34
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 41 - Weston 19

Pool B:
    Pickering 40 - St. Theresa of Lisieux 28
    Eastern Commerce 82 - St. Theresa of Lisieux 30
    Eastern Commerce 46 - Pickering 29

Pool C:
    Denison 41 - St. Michael (Kemptville) 33
    Pope John Paul II 61 - St. Michael (Kemptville) 25
    Pope John Paul II 54 - Denison 25

Pool D:
    Birchmount Park 47 - Eastdale 43
    Regiopolis Notre Dame 46 - Eastdale 39
    Regiopolis Notre Dame 47 - Birchmount Park 33

Quarter-finals:
    Eastern Commerce 53 - Denison 38
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 52 - Birchmount Park 38
    Pope John Paul 46 - Pickering 39
    Aurora 52 - Notre Dame (Kingston) 45 OT

Semi-finals:
    Pope John Paul 43 - Notre Dame (Ajax) 31
    Eastern Commerece 57 - Aurora 20

Final: Eastern Commerce 56 - Pope John Paul 41

Tournament MVP: Lee Anna Osei (Eastern Commerce)

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
    yung_protege
    yung_protege
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

SBA High School Shootout Empty Re: SBA High School Shootout

Post by yung_protege Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 pm

would i be too early to say eastern has it in the bag?
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:05 pm

in the bag?

methinx you have forgotten about notre dame ajax...

and pickering...

those two and eastern should be favoured..but dont count out aurora and pope
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 am

One schedule thing Rick. I have:

6:30pm: G34 Pool A #3 vs. Pool B #3 – Crt. 2
    6:30pm: G35 Pool C #3 vs. Pool D #3 - Crt. 4

...playing at 7:45? Not sure if you or I are using the more updated schedule!
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks CoachImgrund,

You're correct.
    I've made the changes.
    Thanks.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Friday October 17th:
    Pickering 40 - St. Theresa of Lisieux 28
    Denison 41 - St. Michael (Kemptville) 33
    Birchmount Park 47 - Eastdale 43

Saturday October 18th:
    Eastern Commerce 82 - St. Theresa of Lisieux 30
    Pope John Paul II 61 - St. Michael (Kemptville) 25
    Regiopolis Notre Dame 46 - Eastdale 39
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Notre Dame (Ajax) 55 - Aurora 34
    Eastern Commerce 46 - Pickering 29
    Regiopolis Notre Dame 47 - Birchmount Park 33
    Pope John Paul II 54 - Denison 25
    Eastdale 38 - St. Micheal (Kemptville) 25
    Weston 45 - St. Theresa Lisieux 34
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:48 pm

I didn't feel comfortable letting the score between us (St. Theresa of Lisieux) and Eastern Commerce stand without an addendum.

I think it is fair to note that a fair share of those 82 points were scored with a full court press being applied most of the game, up until a few minutes left in the fourth quarter, typically by the starters, even when Eastern Commerce had a FORTY point lead. At that point, we were trying to get all of our players out on the court, and didn't feel this was necessary approach. It was stated in the rules for this tournament that a differential would count up to a maximum of 20, so I'm not sure why the game was allowed to get this out of control. There were five coaches (or a mixture of coaches and managers) on the bench, so I'm not sure why this was permitted to occur.

I've had our boys teams play Eastern Commerce in the past (being led by Coach Bullen), and this NEVER would have happened under his control.

As I said, I didn't feel comfortable having this '82' points stand without an asterik.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:28 pm

Coach Imgrund, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you because you speak your mind. I think you all know how I feel about teams that do the full court press late in the game with a big lead. I had a big issue with Mt Carmel doing this to us at the Rimrocker last year and I had no problem letting their coach know at the time.
    My question to Eastern Commerce is this, what is there to prove by doing this? In our league two years ago, Cedarbrae drilled Satec 102-4 by putting a full court press the entire game and explained to us that they needed to get exposure for Samantha Evans for a scholarship. The game was well in hand as was the Eastern-St Theresa game. I know that the top teams want to make a statement but is it necessary to embarrass Coach Imgrund and more importantly, his players? Remember that we are coaches who are responsible for teaching ethics and sportsmanship along with basketball skills.
    I had a game this week against Wexford where I pressed for the first six minutes. We led 19-0, I took off my starters and removed my press for the rest of the game. In the fourth quarter, I told the players that we were on a five pass rule and were to take no threes. We were to work on our half court offence with no fast breaks. The officials told me after the game that they respected what I did and that my girls were very disciplined as it is very tempting for them to want to score quick, easy points. I don't believe that you don't attempt to score at all because you are then treating your opponent with disrespect as they may feel you are mocking them. That fine line is one in which we as coaches should be mature enough to walk on with no problem. There is nothing for Eastern to prove so it is hard to understand.
    I also agree with Coach Imgrund with the problem of putting in your non-starters. When a team is down like St Theresa was, you want to get your starters out and give the backups an opportunity to play. If your opponent is still pressing and keeping the starters in then you can't take out your starters because you know that the game will get even worse for you. I really would like to know what goes through a coaches mind to kick sand in the face of a wounded opponent.
    Coach Imgrund, keep your head up and tell your girls to do their best to erase this from memory.Remember that these are still kids and something like this can have a very negative impact on their mind set. Don't let it affect the rest of your season and let them know that it is just one loss, whether it be by 1 point or 52.
    yung_protege
    yung_protege
    Freshman

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

Post by yung_protege Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 am

very WELL spoken wcbasketball.
    I know in our male league when our team was up by 30, the refs told us to only play defense when the ball was brought to half.That allowed the team to at least have a chance to set up their offense without another 10points being scored on a press.The fact of the matter is I personally was not there to watch the game,but Easterns coach is not only to blame, what about the referees they must of said something to the players and coach about this.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:12 am

Quarter-finals:
    Eastern Commerce 53 - Denison 38
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 52 - Birchmount Park 38
    Pope John Paul 46 - Pickering 39
    Aurora 52 - Notre Dame (Kingston) 45 OT

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Semi-finals:
    Pope John Paul 43 - Notre Dame (Ajax) 31
    Eastern Commerece 57 - Aurora 20

Final: Eastern Commerce 56 - Pope John Paul 41

Tournament MVP: Lee Anna Osei (Eastern Commerce)
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2008-10-19

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Why doesn't Eastern go to a tournament where there won't be games where they win by 50? I am from Hamilton and know for a fact that Eastern denied and invite to SOSI where ALL the best teams were this weekend. The games were amazing . . . why don't they do what's best and play in all the toughest tournaments and let those second tier teams get better by playing each other. In the end does this tournament win mean more than maybe a loss to a top tier team at SOSI?? And from what I can see. . . there is no real program at Eastern. Don't get me wrong they are a very good team and might even medal at OFSAA but Will they even compete next year with BArret and Osei gone? Sorry, I guess that's my Hamilton bias coming out.
    Rick
    Freshman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Rick Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 pm

I think Eastern Commerce has already played in three Hamilton tournaments this season....the St. Mary & St. Thomas More tournament, and I can't remember the third.
    Saints
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by Saints Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

I am the head coach of the Eastern Commerce girls basketball team. I would first I would like to extend our thank you to Stewart Kerr and Jason Williams and the whole SBA staff for allowing my to partner up with there tournament this year. Between our staff and the girls we had a great time and were happy to play in the city in which we reside in.

I was kind of unhappy by the comments made by coach Imgrund of St. Teresa. We taped the game and upon reviewing the game, we did have our starters on in the 4th quarter.(They were not on at the same time.) We pressed once in that 4th quarter and that was only a mistake coming out of a timeout. We subbed in all of our players throughout the game and in the 4th quarter as well. Actually coming out of a timeout, we went to our zone defence(which is what we wanted to work on) and on Offence, when St. Teresa is able to stop us, we ran our offence. We had no intention of embarrsing St. Teresa, but at the same time we are not going to stop playing ball.

I was upset at the fact that coach Imgrund not only shook my hand, told me a good game. I was around all day waiting for our next game, even was around to watch the last game of day(which was Weston vs St. Teresa) and never once Ryan, you came up to me, my staff, nor the SBA staff about this. Instead, you come on Hooptowngta and make your complaints about Eastern.

The Toronto South League is not the best league out here, and we do have a lot of lopsided scores. your 50 point blowout is not our first lopsided score for the season. We play our game the way we usually do. We work on our offence and defence when we get up that high. Your game is not any different. We know how to deal with the score in those situations.

Coach Ryan Imgrund, I Apologize if you feel that we ran up the score. Again we did not press you the whole game. If you feel that way, you have my email, you can email me and I can show you the tape and you can see for yourself as to what exactly happened in the game. But coming on here and trying to discredit me and my staff was completely wrong. You could have emailed me or the convenor of the tournament. We had no intentions of trying to embarass you in the game.

P.S. Hoopsdreaming13, the only reason why we stayed home this weekend is that we decided to stay at home and play in front of our home fans in TORONTO at the best tournament in our city. Can't always play in your town with your Hamilton Rules. If you know what im saying. Wink
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:22 pm

[quote="Saints"]we decided to stay at home and play in front of our home fans in TORONTO at the best tournament in our city.[/quote]

But when will you play in the best tournament in the entire GTA? It would be nice to see the top team from the City of Toronto out here in Mississauga for the Rimrocker one day.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:30 pm

[quote="HooptownGTA"]Pope John Paul 43 - Notre Dame (Ajax) 31[/quote]

Does this mean that Grossman will finally stop placing Notre Dame ahead of d'Youville in his top 10?

IMO, the GTA Top 15 after the Rimrocker and SBA is:

1. d'Youville
    2. Eastern Commerce
    3. Aquinas
    4. Ascension
    5. Campion
    6. Pope John Paul II
    7. Notre Dame
    8. Etobicoke
    9. Michael Power
    10. Pine Ridge
    11. Thompson
    12. Dunbarton
    13. Pickering
    14. Mount Carmel
    15. St. Joseph

I realize there are 10 teams from Durham or Peel but those are by far the two best leagues in the GTA this year. The only other league in the province that matches them in depth is Hamilton Catholic.
    Coach11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post by Coach11 Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm

I'd just like to say that I don't believe Hooptown is the place for people to make personal attacks or attacks on a particular program. I think we should try and keep it as positive as possible and if someone has an issue they'd like to discuss perhaps we should try and speak in general terms. My team was in the SBA tournament this weekend and I would personally like to thank Eastern Commerce and the convenors for running what I believe to be an excellent tournament.

Some of the comments that I've read on here I think are a little disrespectful towards the Lady Saints and I'd just like to say that Eastern deserves all of the respect that they get and played an excellent game against a very good team from Pope John Paul.

I'd like to further add that we were on the receiving end of a pretty bad beating this weekend and the team that beat us pressed us in the 4th quarter and had their starters in against my bench. I had no problem with this because it gave my bench an opportunity to play against a very good team in a pressure situation and work on the things that we work on in practice. In games like that it's the responsiblity of the coach to let his or her team know that we've played against a better team and we should try and take what we can from the game. Use it as a teaching tool and as a means to improve your team. And if you truly do feel as if you were treated in an unsportsman like manner then pull the other coach aside after the game and have a word. Just my humble opinion.
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:24 am

OH I know all about Hamilton reffing . . . but I think you would make your team better in the long run my competing at the best tournaments. Good luck to you at OFSAA this year . . are you 3A or 4A.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:19 am

Congrats to Eastern on their win in a relatively tough field (Notre Dame Ajax, Pope)..

Nuff respect to Pope for playing in the Rimrocker then the SBA tournament..tough to do.

New top 10 should be interesting.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 am

Coach Griffin,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate you reviewing tape of the game, but I don't think you see my point.

Your team was up by 30 points at half, and still felt the need to press in the third and fourth quarter. I accept your explanation about the press in the fourth quarter, but I am still confused as to why you chose to press in the third quarter when the game was already in your control. If your team scored 100 points, didn't press in the second half and slightly changed your approach to the game, I would have had NO problem with that! That's basketball. It was the second half pressing, and that alone, which I was commenting about, and was what allowed the score to be run up as high as it was.

I chose to make my comments in a 'public' forum because the game was played in 'public' domain. Why would I make 'private' comments about a game played in 'public'?

I'm not sure why you took this as an attempt to 'discredit' Eastern - rather, this was a complaint about the way the game was approached in the second half. I have coached against Eastern in the past and this has never happened before.

To be more specific, I can recall playing in a Junior Boy's tournament two years ago against Eastern, and Coach Bullen was in a tough position. Teams from different divisions were being ranked against each other (very difficult to do!) and the point differential was the second tie breaker. Unfortunately, the point differential was not capped at 20 like it was in this tournament. Coach Bullen took me aside before the game, explained the situation but ensured me he was trying to get clarification on the issue from the tournament convenor. That was a classy thing to do. As I said, my comments weren't and aren't against Eastern, but against the approach to the game in the second half.

It's just my opinion; if you choose to disagree with me, I accept that.

Regardless, congratulations on your championship. You have a talented team - Jenea and Lee Anna played incredible, and that grade 9 girl on your team [Alex Hill's younger sister?] can shoot the lights out, and proves that Eastern will be a force to contend with in girls basketball for years to come.

Coach Imgrund
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 am

Yup Sam can really play...
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:35 pm

I understand wanting to play in T.O. but has there been any effort to get teams from outside the GTA into these Toronto tournaments? I coach a pretty quality team in Hamilton and have never received an invite to a Toronto tournament other than the Humber Tournament where it seems that MANY of the top teams in the province are playing - Amherst, ND (Burlington), Mary's, Westdale and St. John's.
    I think this year more than EVER the GTA has many good teams . . . it will be interesting to see how they do at OFSAA - but the more close games they can play the better prepared they will be. At least that is my philosophy.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:45 pm

[quote="hoopsdreaming13"]I understand wanting to play in T.O. but has there been any effort to get teams from outside the GTA into these Toronto tournaments? [/quote]

I can't speak for other GTA tournaments but I have been trying for years to get Hamilton teams to come to the Lady Rimrocker. Over the years, I have sent invites to St. Mary's, St. Thomas More, Westdale, and Bishop Tonnos. I thought we had Bishop Tonnos this year but there was a miscommunication that lead to a conflict. That was the closest we ever came to hosting a team from Hamilton.

In the past, I have also tried inviting Sarnia Northern, Waterloo Collegiate, St. Anne's, and numerous other top teams from otuside of the GTA. Some of them have not even bothered to send a short e-mail, declining the invite. After a while, it doesn't seem worth the effort. Only St. Francis, among all regular OFSAA qualifiers outside of the GTA, has accepted our invite over the years.

I find that many areas outisde the GTA criticise the GTA girls programs for not playing in their tournaments but few of them bother to come here to play, either. A few years ago, it might have been understandable but with the the increased number of comeptitive girls teams in the GTA and quality girls tournaments like SBA, Notre Dame, Sheridan, and our Rimrocker, it would be nice to see some of the Golden Horshoe and Southern Ontario powerhouses come this way, too. Etobicoke is the only tournament that any of them ever seem interested in yet, ironically, it has fewer of the GTA top-10 teams than the other ones mentioned.
    hoopsdreaming13
    Freshman

Post by hoopsdreaming13 Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Yes, I can see your point- I guess there are just not enough weekends. Down this way all the Hamilton Powerhouses play in STM, Mary's and SOSI(Westdale) tournies. And then the first tournament is usually a Montreal trip or Western / WIndsor university tournaments. It is a shame that OFSAA is so early because it would allow for a few more good tournaments esp. at the the end . What would be great is A) if they got rid of 4A and just had 1A 2A and 3A - it would b=make for more competitive OFSAAs or even better - have a tournament of champions for all the medalists at the respective OFSAAs!!!! But of course who has the time/money/facilities!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:16 am