HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+5
bruins
luv2ball
Peel Fan
observer
Xavier Rimrocker
9 posters

Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow?

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow? Empty Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow?

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 am

I received this e-mail yesterday, along with others on his mailing list, I assume:

It’s time.

Yes, time for me to put a cap on a 30-year career with the Toronto Star.

After three decades of promoting high school, college and university athletes, dealing with the highlights and the issues, and making the Star’s coverage No. 1 in the Greater Toronto Area, I have chosen to take retirement and focus on other things.

While this might come as a surprise to the Star, believe me, I won’t be going far.

My Sunday Morning radio show on THE FAN 590 continues with an expanded format – and your scores and information are welcome there too.

You’ll also be able to see me, in the Toronto area, with reports on the popular Rogers TV show High School Rush. And, well, some other surprises coming soon.

Effective Dec. 4th, you will no longer reach me at the Star. You can contact me at david.grossman@rci.rogers.com

Thanks for all the great support – and for helping raise the visibility of young female and male athletes as well as the ups and downs of amateur sport!!!

David Grossman

The announcement isn't a big surprise; there have been rumors for a while and he has told a number of people, myself included, that he might start winding things down. However, the big question for coaches and tournament organizers is whether the Star will continue with the same level of high school coverage after the retirement. Will another reporter be assigned the high school beat and will the paper continue to print scores or will coverage mostly disappear as it did at the Toronto Sun a number of years ago?
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow? Empty Re: Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow?

Post by observer Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:49 am

He's done a great job covering high school sports for years. His feature pieces on athletes in the Star were always good and gave a profile to local players. He surely will be missed in print, although fortunately we still will apparently see him on Rogers cable.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow? Empty Re: Grossman retiring; will the Star's HS coverage follow?

Post by Peel Fan Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:32 pm

At least another poster acknowledges that there was a financial benefit to the high school coverage and it wasn't somehow out of the goodness of Grossman's heart.
    luv2ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2008-08-02

Post by luv2ball Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:34 pm

[quote="Peel Fan"]At least another poster acknowledges that there was a financial benefit to the high school coverage and it wasn't somehow out of the goodness of Grossman's heart. [/quote]

Peelfan,

I think you have taken Rimrocker's statement out of context ???
    If you re-read his/her statement, it reads as follows:

[color=red]"I did like the fact that the Star recognized both the financial and social value of high school sports coverage."[/color]

I interpreted this to mean that the coverage of high school sports would lead more people to buy the toronto star thus leading to financial benefit for the Star.

Personally, while I may disagree with some of Grossman's opinions. The fact that he is covering high school and universtity sports is great for these young athletes !!!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:14 pm

I don't think you've interpreted my statement correctly. I wrote mine in response to the many posts I've read over the years where supporters of Grossman would gush about how great it was that he did this and that anyone that criticized him should stop because he was doing the high school sports scene a great service. My response was that was hogwash, the Star employed Grossman to do this job because they knew there was money to make from all the extra copies they would sell. Otherwise, they would have cut the coverage long ago.

It seems you agree with my view that this was about profit first, not service to the community. Mr. Rimrocker also acknowledged the financial side first.

I also notice the very small number of posts about this topic and the relatively small number of views. It looks like, in the basketball world at least, the world has passed Mr. Grossman and the Star by and looks primarily to this site for coverage.
    luv2ball
    Freshman

Post by luv2ball Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am

[quote="Peel Fan"]I don't think you've interpreted my statement correctly. I wrote mine in response to the many posts I've read over the years where supporters of Grossman would gush about how great it was that he did this and that anyone that criticized him should stop because he was doing the high school sports scene a great service. My response was that was hogwash, the Star employed Grossman to do this job because they knew there was money to make from all the extra copies they would sell. Otherwise, they would have cut the coverage long ago.

It seems you agree with my view that this was about profit first, not service to the community. Mr. Rimrocker also acknowledged the financial side first.

I also notice the very small number of posts about this topic and the relatively small number of views. It looks like, in the basketball world at least, the world has passed Mr. Grossman and the Star by and looks primarily to this site for coverage.[/quote]

I agree with alot of what you have said.

But I would like to add.....

That many corporations give back to the community. These companies recoginize the importance of building positive relationships and positive images, which in many cases leads to a loyal customer base.

So in my humble opinion, I know there is a financial element to this, but I also think there is an element of giving back to the community.

On that note, I must say "Thank You" to HooptownGTA for the time and effort put into supporting this website !!!!!
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 am

it looks like some fears of the coverage stopping are warrented...no scores on the website last night and this morning....i haven't bought a paper so i wouldn't know...
    luv2ball
    Freshman

Post by luv2ball Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 am

Grossman has taken his services over to the FAN590.

Please see the following link for the scores.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/highschoolconfidential/2010/12/06/yes-send-us-your-high-school-results/

i wonder if we'll soon see the FAN590 "Fab 5 "

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    ballhard41
    Freshman

Number of posts : 297
    Registration date : 2009-11-13

Post by ballhard41 Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm

is the star no ;longer postin results?
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 pm

there are none on the website

haven't seen a newspaper today
    24_7_all_day_ballin
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2010-11-22

Post by 24_7_all_day_ballin Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:28 pm

the star covering rimrocker?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:05 pm

There are scores in today's star.

highschoolsports@thestar.ca
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

24_7_all_day_ballin wrote:the star covering rimrocker?

The Star has never "covered" any Rimrocker tournament in the 7 years we have been running them. They have occasionally printed the scores when I submitted them (occasionally dropping them for space) but Dave never accepted my regular invitations to cover any of the tournaments in person.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:28 am