HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

3 posters

Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton

lovethegame
    Freshman

Number of posts : 109
    Registration date : 2010-05-10

Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton Empty Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton

Post by lovethegame Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 pm

The Halton All-Star Team defeated Hamilton Public today by a score of 111-95

They face off against Hamilton Catholic for the Gold tomorrow at 6:30 pm at St Thomas More in Hamilton

The Halton All-Star Team is:

Mike L`Africain - Loyola
    Daniel Dooley - Notre Dame
    Jordan Clarke - Bishop Reding
    Anthony Pate - Holy Trinity
    Trevon McNeil - Holy Trinity
    Aaron Campbell - Nelson
    Erin Gulerson - Kings Christian
    Paul Bray - Holy Trinity
    Rohan Boney - Loyola
    Adam Presutti - Loyola
    Nathan McCarthy - Notre Dame
    George Babic - Pearson
    Martin Cho - Kings Christian
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton Empty Re: Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Did that Jordan Clarke use to attend JOA in Peel?
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton Empty Re: Halton All-Star Team @ Spectator Classic in Hamilton

Post by lovethegame Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Halton All-Stars win the Gold

Halton 85
    Hamilton Catholic 75

MVP Mike L'Africain

Top scorers for Halton: Mike L'Africain with 18 and Nathan McCarthy with 17. Rohan Boney, Anthony Pate and Trevon McNeil also chipped in with double digit contributions from each.

Top scorers for Hamilton Catholic: Paul Petrucelli with 12 Lucas Mancini with 11. Lucas Mancini also won the slam dunk competition.
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 am

stevelogan92 wrote:Did that Jordan Clarke use to attend JOA in Peel?

Not sure?
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 am

lovethegame wrote:Rohan Boney, Anthony Pate and Trevon McNeil also chipped in with double digit contributions from each.

Ha, looks like I have to correct myself, according to the Hamilton Spectator http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/509891--l-africain-leads-halton-to-repeat-title Anthony Pate scored 14 for Halton and there was no mention of the other two being in double digits so I guess they scored just under that. Trevon McNeil did go on a mini-run with some quality takes so he had to have had 8 points at least.

The only thing I disagree with in the Crown article here http://crownmagonline.com/recruiting/buzz/hamilton-spectator-all-star-classic-day-2-results/ (unless I read it wrong) was that Halton "got by" Hamilton, ie just barely. To be honest the 10-point spread at the end doesn't really speak to the dominance Halton displayed. The starters for Halton Mike L'Africain, Anthony Pate, Aaron Campbell, Rohan Boney and Nathan McCarthy established fairly early dominance and the guys who came in off the bench in the first half certainly helped that cause. For much of the game it was a far larger point spread in favor of Halton. There wasn't any point in the game really where there was much of a concern that Hamilton could take it imo although later in the game they made good effort and kept it close.

Fwiw my thoughts on the players from Halton who I've seen all year at various events, I don't know the Hamilton side so will leave that to others:

Mike L'Africain: Was curious to see how he'd perform without his "Loyola triangle" (Adam Presutti - DNP and Rohan Boney - limited minutes due to injury) but he showed that he is able to gel with other guys as well and get everyone involved. His shot is one of the nicest in Ontario if not Canada. At one point he hit a no-look three pointer. Not even kidding, from our angle it seemed he was looking at his player on the left side and hit a three and it didn`t look like a lucky shot in the least bit. He's going to be a great player for the Gee-Gees and pretty easy to imagine him making an almost immediate impact there next year.

Rohan Boney - as mentioned, limited minutes but of course during those minutes showed a few of his weapons hitting shot beyond the arc and jamming it home on the fastbreak. Make no mistake, Boney can go places if he continues to work hard.

Nathan McCarthy - great player, and his 17-point contribution is nothing to shake a stick at, but at times you get the sense that he's going to need to get much stronger for the next level, especially to be able to consistently compete for rebounds and post up authoritatively. Having said that, again, he's an all round player and if he beefs up he's going to put in serious work at Mac.

Anthony Pate - He again showed why he was Holy Trinity`s most valuable player this year even at only grade 10. Solid perimeter defender forces the bad pass or turnover and can defend the paint too ..the odd time gambles on the help and pays for it but easy to see he doesn`t like uncontested baskets. Smooth scorer with strong plays at the rim, solid midrange jumpers and the odd 3, his run in the second part of the game came at just the right time to help keep Hamilton at bay. Want to see him decide to kick out of the double teams he attracts on drives one second sooner to avoid getting tangled up.

Trevon McNeil - Trevon is also a developing into a great player and one of the other main reasons Holy Trinity had solid success this year. He had a mini-run in the third scoring on some sweet takes which again was key to deflating Hamilton`s sails as they tried to chip away at Halton`s lead. Trevon is a quiet but quick shooter and if you give him an inch, he`s taking that shot or driving past you and finishing in the paint with a spin or other creative move.

There`s one other guy that I saw over the course of the two games who I have never seen before his name is Erin Gulerson, a crafty and quick guard from Kings Christian Collegiate in Oakville. Not sure what grade he`s in but he was very good in the first game of the Classic and while just slightly quieter in the final, he`s a player to watch out for imo. Also honorable mention players: Jordan Clarke of Bishop Reding and Aaron Campbell from Nelson who are solid team players, both are very athletic and good defenders.
    mikeymerican
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mikeymerican Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm

@lovethegame: As the author of that article, it was not my intention to convey that Halton 'just barely' won that game. My very first sentence in that article included "...Halton All-Stars beat the Hamilton Catholic All-Stars...", and I intended on keeping the description of the win 'vanilla'. Your feedback is duly noted though, for my future articles.

BTW: I like your use of the phrase 'Loyola Triangle'.
    lovethegame
    Freshman

Post by lovethegame Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:07 pm

@Mikeymerican -

ah! I guess I read more into than what you intended, my bad! It was a great article nonetheless, like I said it was pretty much the only thing I slightly disagreed with. Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 am