HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

How OFSAA qualification works in each region

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

How OFSAA qualification works in each region Empty How OFSAA qualification works in each region

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

A lot of posters have asked about the OFSAA qualification process. Here is a summary, to the best of my knowledge. I'll try and bump this thread up each year when the questions inevitably arise.

ROPSSAA (Peel): The tier 1 playoffs are also the AAAA playoffs. Schools that are smaller can declare for the smaller levels and the top 4 or 6 (depending on the number that declare) play a mini tournament just before the tier 1 playoffs.

TDSSAA (Toronto Public): The Toronto public league is technically four different leagues. (E, W, N, S) They play their tier 1 and tier 2 playoffs to determine the league champions. Then the top two teams in each league at AAAA, AAA, and AA/A are awarded berths in the city wide OFSAA playdowns. When there are two berths (AAAA and AAA), the loser of the final must play a "back door" game against the semi-finalist that lost to the champions.

TDCAA (Toronto Catholic): The top teams play in the city wide league and the others play tier 1 or 2. After the regular season, the top 6 or 8 teams at each classification level gain berths in their respective playdowns. (The city wide teams get the top seeds, followed by tier 1 and 2 until each level is filled.)

LOSSA (Durham): There are seperate leagues for AAAA, AAA, and AA/A. The champions of each (or the top playoff team for A) then advance.

YRAA (York): The top 24 teams make the tier 1 playoffs. The team in each school classification that advances the furthest in the playoffs represents the region at that level. If two teams advanced to the same point (e.g. two AAA teams make it to the semi-finals but none in the finals) then they would play an extra game.

GHAC (Halton/Hamilton Catholic): The Halton half plays tier 1 and tier 2. The team at each classification that advances the furthest in the playoffs or has the best regular season record (tier 1, followed by tier 2) if none make the playoffs then advances to the GHAC final. Meanwhile, Hamilton Catholic only plays one tier for the 8 teams. The team that advances the furthest in the playoffs for their classification advances to the GHAC final. In both Hamilton and Halton, if two teams are tied for advancing the furthest, they would play an extra game to determine the rep for the final.

NCSSAA (Ottawa): Teams that want to qualify for OFSAA must declare for the "OFSAA division". They are then divided into two leagues: AAAA/AAA and AA/A. The AA and A teams each play a separate playoff for their reps. However, AAAA/AAA have a combined playoff. If a AAAA and AAA team meet in the final then there is no choice and each goes to their respective tournament. However, if two AAA teams meet then the winner chooses their level and the loser plays in the other level. If there are two of each in the semi-finals then the two AAA teams play each other and the two AAAA teams play each other, regardless of seedings. Technically a team from EOSSAA or COSSA can declare up to AAAA and challenge the Ottawa rep but I can't remember the last time it happened.

COSSA (Central Ontario), CWOSSA (Central-Western Ontario), EOSSAA (Eastern Ontario), GBSSA (Georgian Bay), NOSSA (Northern Ontario), NWOSSAA (Northwestern Ontario): All of these regions have two or more leagues within them. Each leagues has a separate regular season and playoff. After the playoffs are finished, the top teams in each classification then advance to tournaments played at pre-determined host schools sites (that usually include the host school in the tournament). Some leagues advance only one teams; others advance two or more teams. The winners of each tournament then advance OFSAA.

CISAA (Private school league): Teams either play in tier 1 or tier 2. After the playoffs are over, tournaments or challenge matches are held for those levels with multiple entrants in a classification level. The only exception is St. Michael's which is the only boys basketball team at the AAAA level. Unless a team declares up, they advance automatically.

SWOSSAA (Southwestern Ontario): The three leagues (Windsor area, Chatham area and Sarnia area) have separate leagues and playoffs. Then the top team from each league in each classification advances to the OFSAA playdowns. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that each region takes turns getting the bye to the SWOSSAA final, with the reps from the other two playing a semi-final game.

NEOAA (Northeastern Ontario): I'm not as familiar with this region. I know it is a very small one in terms of members but covers a large geographic area. Not sure how many leagues but there is a tournament for AA and A but I don't know if it's just the winners of each league within or if it's one league.

SOSSA (Niagara and Hamilton Public): Divided into four zones but not every zone plays at every classification level. The top teams in each zone playoff advance to the semi-finals of SOSSA at their classification level.

WOSSAA (Western Ontario): Playdowns between the champions of each classification in three leagues. However, in AAAA, all WOSSAA teams play in the same league so the league AAAA champion is also the WOSSAA AAAA rep.

If anyone has any corrections or further info, please feel free to post.

Last edited by Xavier Rimrocker on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

How OFSAA qualification works in each region Empty Re: How OFSAA qualification works in each region

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:05 pm

I updated WOSSAA with more accurate information.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 am